Have Fun Naming Yourself
Is it just me, or is Blizzard becoming very paranoid? I fail to see how a character named "Ilikebeef" is offensive.

Full report can be found here.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Sep 27 2004, 01:05 PM Wrote:Is it just me, or is Blizzard becoming very paranoid?  I fail to see how a character named "Ilikebeef" is offensive.

[right][snapback]56535[/snapback][/right]

Replying to your particular example (and not to any agreement or disagreement with the policy as a whole), the rule that name is breaking is not one regarding what is or is not offensive. Simply put, a sentence is not a name. BeefLiker would be stupid, but fine, and would communicate the same information while still being a name.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Artega,Sep 27 2004, 12:05 PM Wrote:Is it just me, or is Blizzard becoming very paranoid?&nbsp; I fail to see how a character named "Ilikebeef" is offensive.

I think its great. Now if they would only get off their tushes and get the LucyLiu's, DubYah's, and Drzztmoorden's changed. ;)

And I agree with Roane about Ilikebeef.
Tal,Sep 27 2004, 02:58 PM Wrote:I think its great. Now if they would only get off their tushes and get the LucyLiu's, DubYah's, and Drzztmoorden's changed. ;)

And I agree with Roane about Ilikebeef.
[right][snapback]56552[/snapback][/right]

Nice signature picture. Kinda looks like Sharanna has a tatoo on her backside.

As for the naming, it just seems like Blizzard is pushing the whole roleplaying aspect of WoW, whereas people like "ILikeBeef" don't want or care to roleplay.
"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
JustAGuy,Sep 27 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:Nice signature picture. Kinda looks like Sharanna has a tatoo on her backside.
[right][snapback]56555[/snapback][/right]

Heh. If you say so. :)

I do need to update the picture though now that I have a sword with red graphics on it. :D

Oh and to also stop showing off my gams. ;)
I like the policy.

I hate sentence, nonsense and l33t names.

Maybe Blizz could make a special "Stupid names server" to keep you guys happy.
I guess Leetskills will have to change his name :(
so... when the game becomes saturated with players and all the names inside the rules are taken what are people to do? not play if they don't already have a character?
Will Blizzard relax the rules (and let people have their old names back)?

What of those who want to play a computer game and not spend 1/2 an hour before they start trying to think of a name? or those with limited imagination? being able to think of a clever/creative/insightful name which hasn't already been chosen by someone else should not be a prerequesite for playing World of Warcraft.

Perhaps they should offer a name generator like Gamespy for the imaginationally-challenged.

-Bob
Please say youre joking.

"What of those who want to play a computer game and not spend 1/2 an hour before they start trying to think of a name? or those with limited imagination?"

I can hardly beleive anyone said that here. I think you would have to be mentaly disabled to not come up with a passable name within 2 minutes of real time(Im serious.)

Granted some people spend a lot of timing creating a name they like, but its not a challenge to make something with in the rules.
Ghostiger,Sep 27 2004, 11:22 PM Wrote:Please say youre joking.
"What of those who want to play a computer game and not spend 1/2 an hour before they start trying to think of a name? or those with limited imagination?"

I can hardly beleive anyone said that here. I think you would have to be mentaly disabled to not come up with a passable name within 2 minutes of real time(Im serious.)

Granted some people spend a lot of timing creating a name they like, but its not a challenge to make something with in the rules.
[right][snapback]56581[/snapback][/right]

Oh, we do. We do.

Unfortunately, I don't think CaptainKickass is going to be viable. I doubt his sidekick, MajorDamage, will be, either.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I really hope EggSalad gets by this policy. It's not quite a sentence fragment, but it certainly is a string of words.

I like the name, and get comments on it all the time :lol:
DeeBye,Sep 27 2004, 08:13 PM Wrote:I really hope EggSalad gets by this policy.&nbsp; It's not quite a sentence fragment, but it certainly is a string of words.

I like the name, and get comments on it all the time&nbsp; :lol:
[right][snapback]56585[/snapback][/right]

Based on what I've read (and I've tried to follow it on the boards, but wow people sure have a lot to say), EggSalad would be fine. It's sentences, or what would be considered (in grammar terms) a phrase that'd be a problem. Lots of folks confuse, in my experience, compound words with this, but it's not the same. No noun-verb action going on. After all, MrFunSocks just has to take the Mr off his name to be legal according to some blue text or other.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Artega,Sep 27 2004, 05:05 PM Wrote:Is it just me, or is Blizzard becoming very paranoid?&nbsp; I fail to see how a character named "Ilikebeef" is offensive.

I'm so glad that Blizzard has put this amount of effort into coming up with a set of arbitrary, in some cases mystifying guidelines for the naming of OUR own characters, (note the our) rather than say, working on bugs or improving gameplay. While I can understand and agree with the concept of preventing names containing profanity or otherwise discriminatory wording, the fact they had the audacity to effectively tell us what a "good" name is absolutely blows my mind. News flash Blizzard, not everybody wants to roleplay, and not everybody wants to roleplay with some boring, cliche name like Tanis Dragonslayer, ala Everquest and any other fantasy oriented RPG.

Then again, Blizzard has never had much imagination, so I can't say I'm surprised they'd want to limit our own.
Artega,Sep 27 2004, 12:05 PM Wrote:Is it just me, or is Blizzard becoming very paranoid?&nbsp; I fail to see how a character named "Ilikebeef" is offensive.

The whole thing with not allowing sentences is probably being done to keep verbs out of names.... IMO at least.

I think one thing everyone should keep in mind is that even with this restrictive naming policy there are still a lot of names people could choose that I and other would probably not consider names.

Can I make a character named Smithy? I guess it's more of a nickname than a real name. Also, a profession, but I still think it would fit.

Not like I am famous or anything. :)

Smithy
Quote:I can hardly beleive anyone said that here. I think you would have to be mentaly disabled to not come up with a passable name within 2 minutes of real time(Im serious.)

[right][snapback]56581[/snapback][/right]

There's a large difference between a Passable Name, and a name you like. For example, Deebye mentioned 'EggSalad.' It's passable, but I don't think you'll see me on Eggsalad anytime soon.

I understand the idea behind cleaning up the general populous' name, but the fact is rabble will always find a way of getting around filters. Not to mention the massive amount of resources//time blizzard would have to invest to do this correctly. And by correct I mean intense research on what is acceptable, spanning almost all languages, and cultural contexts.

There is a lot of subjectivity to deciding whether a name is acceptable or not. Is HailCeasar out of line? Is Alexander not allowed due to the popularity/history behind the name? Is LRLGTU random or a combination of initials? I haven't spent much time trying to 'beat the system' by coming up with names that should be allowed, so feel free to critique my examples, though this is really not my intent of the post. I'm rather implying anytime you draw a tight definition, the more problems//questions arise.

I personally don't have much of a problem with the current battle.net names. In fact I enjoy it, it gives me a head start on who the idiots really are, before they speak :P.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Sep 27 2004, 11:04 PM Wrote:For example, Deebye mentioned 'EggSalad.'&nbsp; It's passable, but I don't think you'll see me on Eggsalad anytime soon.
[right][snapback]56602[/snapback][/right]

I spent four hours thinking up the name "EggSalad"! :angry:

edit: angry face*

*not angry
My oh my!

Quote:Refer to extreme violent ... acts
I find this extremely funny given the nature of the game.

Quote:Consist of multiple words strung together to create partial or complete sentences
A name I have used for fireball slingers (in non-Blizzard games as well) is Bloughumup. This name refers to a violent act and consists of a string of (malformed) words. Although I find it appropriate for the character it names, will it fly under Blizzard's radar?

Quote:Are references to very well known people, characters, places, or things
So what constitutes "very well known". Lochnar comes from the glowing green orb, in the movie Heavy Metal, that is thought to embody all evil in the universe. (Although I see it as a lure that draws evil in and destroys it.) While not a lot of people (especially of the age that predominates video gaming) would recognize where it comes from, it is well enough known that people have made the connection and commented. Does this name make it through also? I guess we will see.

Munkay,Sep 27 2004, 10:04 PM Wrote:but the fact is rabble will always find a way of getting around filters.&nbsp; Not to mention the massive amount of resources//time blizzard would have to invest to do this correctly.
[right][snapback]56602[/snapback][/right]
I can just picture a room full of temps, sitting in front of monitors, scrolling through pages and pages of names, comparing those names to the acceptable names policy posters plastered on the walls. After the first few weeks, when new player sign-up had calmed down, those few that had not yet lost any trace of sanity would be moved into their own little naming police office, nicely padded for when they did finally blow.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Consist of multiple words strung together to create partial or complete sentences

I call the first shot at registering the name "ILoveBlizzard' and waiting to be told to rename my character.

Quote: This policy is not language-restrictive. Names that fall under this policy will always be subject to the repercussions listed, whether they are inappropriate in English or any other language.

What about the Language of Lagamorphs? How to speak to your rabbit.

Quote:[Image: runningbinky1.gif]

I was sent the link and I couldn't resist the obscure reference. :P

Cheers,

Munk
ok, yes, you're right, 1/2 an hour was a large exaggeration.

2 minutes is still too much.
When I hit "start game" I expect to be able to start, then. The time taken between clicking to start and actually starting should be only the time it takes to fill game settings in or TYPE a name, I shouldn't HAVE to think, if I want to think and have a clever or inventie name then I should be allowed to, but if I bought a game to play it, not to have an impressive name I expect to be allowed to play it with minimum fuss. As someone said, not everyone gets a MMORPG game for the RP aspect, some get it for the G aspect.

Choice is very important, people should be allowed to choose if they have a sensible name and so join in with the whole Warcraft things, or if they just want to bash a few keys and get on with killing stuff, and I don't see why it should be up to Blizzard to make that choice for people.

-Bob
Munkay,Sep 28 2004, 12:56 AM Wrote:I call the first shot at registering the name "ILoveBlizzard' and waiting to be told to rename my character.
What about the Language of Lagamorphs? How to speak to your rabbit.
I was sent the link and I couldn't resist the obscure reference.&nbsp; :P

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]56613[/snapback][/right]

Ok, so how do I stick my ears up with ascii characters?

Smithy