Have Fun Naming Yourself
Bob,Sep 28 2004, 08:05 AM Wrote:ok, yes, you're right, 1/2 an hour was a large exaggeration.
2 minutes is still too much.
When I hit "start game" I expect to be able to start, then. The time taken between clicking to start and actually starting should be only the time it takes to fill game settings in or TYPE a name, I shouldn't HAVE to think, if I want to think and have a clever or inventie name then I should be allowed to, but if I bought a game to play it, not to have an impressive name I expect to be allowed to play it with minimum fuss. [right][snapback]56622[/snapback][/right]

Well, they added a random name generator, though I think it's still just in the initial stages. Does that help at all?
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Roane,Sep 28 2004, 08:46 AM Wrote:Well, they added a random name generator, though I think it's still just in the initial stages.&nbsp; Does that help at all?
[right][snapback]56626[/snapback][/right]

A random name generator that has twice spit out the name "Gimli" for a dwarf for me. :)
Tal,Sep 28 2004, 05:20 PM Wrote:A random name generator that has twice spit out the name "Gimli" for a dwarf for me. :)
[right][snapback]56644[/snapback][/right]

Heh. Like I said, I think it's still newish/being worked on. Least I hope so.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Tal,Sep 28 2004, 09:20 PM Wrote:A random name generator that has twice spit out the name "Gimli" for a dwarf for me. :)
[right][snapback]56644[/snapback][/right]

ummm, doesn't that break their own rules?

"change your name"
"but your random name generator gave it to me"
"umm, er, well, I'm GF, bow down before me. Shutup & do as you're told" :P

-Bob
LochnarITB,Sep 27 2004, 09:37 PM Wrote:My oh my!

I find this extremely funny given the nature of the game.

A name I have used for fireball slingers (in non-Blizzard games as well) is Bloughumup.&nbsp; This name refers to a violent act and consists of a string of (malformed) words.&nbsp; Although I find it appropriate for the character it names, will it fly under Blizzard's radar?

So what constitutes "very well known".&nbsp; Lochnar comes from the glowing green orb, in the movie Heavy Metal, that is thought to embody all evil in the universe. (Although I see it as a lure that draws evil in and destroys it.)&nbsp; While not a lot of people (especially of the age that predominates video gaming) would recognize where it comes from, it is well enough known that people have made the connection and commented.&nbsp; Does this name make it through also?&nbsp; I guess we will see.
I can just picture a room full of temps, sitting in front of monitors, scrolling through pages and pages of names, comparing those names to the acceptable names policy posters plastered on the walls.&nbsp; After the first few weeks, when new player sign-up had calmed down, those few that had not yet lost any trace of sanity would be moved into their own little naming police office, nicely padded for when they did finally blow.
[right][snapback]56612[/snapback][/right]

Agreed. I find this little tidbit interesting:
Quote:Real World References
This category includes both clear and masked names which:
Are references to very well known people, characters, places, or things
Examples: "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Mcdonald's", "Georgewashington", "Newyork"
So, let's say I were to make a character with my neighbor's name, and this neighbor would happen to be just an ordinary (or, as I like to call it, a "not-able-to-afford-a-highly-paid-lawyer-and-sue-the-pants-off-blizzard") type of guy. Let's say, for theory's sake, that I were to act like a "jerk" online, and someone goes and recognizes the name. And gets "very upset" at the real guy.

It is still legit by this policy, because my neighbor isn't high profile. But if someone names their character "GeorgeWashington" he's a violator. This doesn't seem to make...sense.

Also, I must look at my own moniker. After all, Ajax died thousands of years ago, and people still know the name, (even if they don't know who he (they) were). So he must be famous!
Out here,
--Ajax

I'd like to point to the thread on battle.net that Bolty pointed to (only I don't know how) that discusses all the very famous persons places and things nearly everything in WOW is named after! The thread was about 15 pages long last time I looked! You can knock off about 5 pages for repeats, but still, its quite pervasive. It seems to me that naming your character in such a way would just be getting it to the spirit of the game, but apparently I'm wrong
bernard shakey,Oct 2 2004, 09:48 PM Wrote:I'd like to point to the thread on battle.net that Bolty pointed to (only I don't know how) that discusses all the very famous persons places and things nearly everything in WOW is named after! The thread was about 15 pages long last time I looked! You can knock off about 5 pages for repeats, but still, its quite pervasive. It seems to me that naming your character in such a way would just be getting it to the spirit of the game, but apparently I'm wrong
[right][snapback]56930[/snapback][/right]

Apparently if Blizzard adds references to real world, it's supposed to be funny, but when people make joke names it's breaking immersion. *shrug*