Where Things Are Going
Walkiry,Oct 28 2004, 09:29 AM Wrote:While we're at it, IMO the most neat way to animate the logo would be to have only the "outer eye" part of the logo spin around the immobile (LL) part, that'd be pretty neat.

Good stuff :)
[right][snapback]58455[/snapback][/right]

It would be better if the animation was the eye blinking.

This is great stuff. Once we settle on a design, can the source files be made available to the rest of us?
I'm gonna throw in my two cents because everyone tells me it's important to vote. I'm really diggin' the logo design in your second post from the color showcase. It's simple, recognizable, and still damn cool. I think I might like it a little more if the L's crossed the way they do in the first sketch from the same post.

And if you could slap some numbers next to the different sketches, it would make it a little easier for us to reply and voice our opinions. ;)

Great work so far.

--Copadope
I really like the bottom left-hand corner eye from your second post. Some of the others seem like they would be 'cooler' but as a stand alone logo, the LL sort of seems to be an afterthought to the eye idea (which is really neat, btw). I like how it stands out more.

These are really great! :D :D
I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't decide.

This is hard. Is there anyone out there that's a feng shui expert who can say what logo design would be best? ;)

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Well here's the latest set of sketches based on the feedback since last time.

[Image: sketch_3.jpg]

No showcase this time because I feel that they're hindering our ability to decide on a logo; more so than they're helping. I'll make some more once we've narrowed our choices to about 3 or less designs.

The 1st 10 are taken from your feedback. Some are just copies of what was approved from the previous sketches. The next 12 incorporate the double L's directly into the shape of the eye. Some people might not get but it is different. I'm partial to 16 and 18 myself.

Walkiry,Oct 28 2004, 09:29 PM Wrote:
NuurAbSaal,Oct 28 2004, 07:30 PM Wrote:Now my dilemma: I actually like the first "proof of concept" images better than the second ones, the horizontally aligned eye with the larger letters just looks, well, better. The same thing I like about the logo, the small "LL" doesn't quite work for me in the images. Maybe you could show us a few other images with the evil (for lack of a better word) eye?
[right][snapback]58448[/snapback][/right]
I have to agree on this one, the horizontal asymmetrical eye does it better for me than the other two.

Yes I know what both of you mean. I've been thinking the same thing. Just one of the many issues that's rendered me indecisive.

DeeBye,Oct 29 2004, 07:40 AM Wrote:It would be better if the animation was the eye blinking.

This is great stuff.  Once we settle on a design, can the source files be made available to the rest of us?
[right][snapback]58523[/snapback][/right]

Neat idea on the blinking eye. As with regards to the source files being “open source”, that's up to Bolty.

It's the first week of November and if the logo is to keep up with Bolty's time frame for revamping this site, then I suggest that a deadline be set for when to decide. I thought that ultimately, it would be Bolty's decision but he seems to be having difficulty choosing; and I don't blame him being undecided myself. So to help him narrow it down a bit, maybe we can vote on our top 3 choices. Bolty can then decide on the top 3 candidates from the vote (I'll probably send Bolty all top 3 WMF files to help with his decision).

If this is agreeable, then we need to set a deadline for nominations followed by the voting period. Hopefully we can have our logo before December.

BTW, is anyone else working on a logo for the Lounge? If you are and aren't done yet, at least voice your time frame so whatever schedule that needs to be made can accommodate yours.
Peace,
Xyngynkynyn
#1. Hands down.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Nov 2 2004, 10:38 PM Wrote:#1. Hands down.
[right][snapback]59004[/snapback][/right]
Only if #2 wasn't available. :P I do like that style for the eye but I say "lurker lounge" not "lurker lounge" and having the second L higher feels like the wrong emphasis. I do like the style idea of the new versions but only because I know it is the Lurker Lounge. If I didn't and I realized it was stylized letters I would wonder what L7 was.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Roland,Nov 2 2004, 11:38 PM Wrote:#1. Hands down.
[right][snapback]59004[/snapback][/right]

Yes indeed.
DeeBye,Nov 2 2004, 11:23 PM Wrote:Yes indeed.
[right][snapback]59009[/snapback][/right]

Thirded. #1 for the win! :ph34r:
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]

If it is also going to be used for icons as well than the letters in 1-3 will run together and make it difficult to see what it looks like (just like how odd Diablo's horns look on the D2 icon). Maybe the L's don't have to be AS bulky as they are in 4, but I like it as a start.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
I like #2 the best.

Edit: How interesting that it put my reply there. It was actually supposed to be in reply to this. Ah well.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Nov 3 2004, 09:58 PM Wrote:I like #2 the best.
[right][snapback]59090[/snapback][/right]

Seconded on #2.

#22 is purty though...
Xyngynkynyn,Nov 2 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:Well here's the latest set of sketches based on the feedback since last time.
You know, #16 is really "different" and neato, but I'm not sure people would "get" that it's two L's due to the inversion. #2 and #7 are also neat.

Xyngynkynyn,Nov 2 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:As with regards to the source files being “open source”, that's up to Bolty.
Oh, open source for sure. I'd love to have people coming up with ideas on the design - anyone who would want to help on the graphic work for skinning the site and forum would be welcome! I'm actually more concerned with porting all the data over first - we can skin it later - just as was done for porting this forum to 2.0. It was really BLUE for a while, but we all survived. I've pointed out sites related to the Mambo CMS development; there's documentation out there on making templates. I admit that skinning/templating is the work I hate the most because I stink at it, whereas the technical hurdles of data migration/site administration are more my thing. I'm much more technical than I am artistic. Someone coming up with template designs for Mambo that fit the LL theme would be worshipped by me like unto a god. :) If source is distro'ed with all creations that go into the site, things could get assembled piecemeal by people with talents in different areas.

Xyngynkynyn,Nov 2 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:Bolty can then decide on the top 3 candidates from the vote (I'll probably send Bolty all top 3 WMF files to help with his decision).
Everyone's input is greatly appreciated.

Xyngynkynyn,Nov 2 2004, 09:56 PM Wrote:BTW, is anyone else working on a logo for the Lounge? If you are and aren't done yet, at least voice your time frame so whatever schedule that needs to be made can accommodate yours.
Yes, the more the merrier! Plus, anyone who can think of cool things to do with Xyngynkynyn's suggestions if they are more of an editor than a designer, please go crazy with it.

Thanks again Xyngyn, for your efforts...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I might manage some rough animation examples from the sketches Xyngyn has shown so you could get an idea of what they'd look like. As long as Xyngyn doesn't mind my taking the image from here and playing around with it.

jrichard
Bolty,Nov 5 2004, 12:05 PM Wrote:You know, #16 is really "different" and neato, but I'm not sure people would "get" that it's two L's due to the inversion.
[right][snapback]59299[/snapback][/right]

That's precisely the issue I had with them despite my liking #s 16 and 18. Sun Microsystems has a great logo , but does everyone immediately get that it's the word Sun wrapped around 4 times in the square? Granted, maybe it's easier to get Sun's logo than these but the question put forth to the Longe is: "How important is it that those who see it for the first time recognize the double L's immediately or without explanation as opposed to having this interesting logo?".

jrichard,Nov 5 2004, 12:22 PM Wrote:I might manage some rough animation examples from the sketches Xyngyn has shown so you could get an idea of what they'd look like.  As long as Xyngyn doesn't mind my taking the image from here and playing around with it. 
[right][snapback]59304[/snapback][/right]

Go ahead jrichard. Bolty's asked for help from the Lounge so let all those who can, do.
Peace,
Xyngynkynyn
This is pretty rough like I said, but here is an idea of the #2 sketch with a couple of blinks. Please forgive it needing cleaned up so badly.

[Image: LL2blink.gif]

jrichard
jrichard,Nov 5 2004, 06:00 AM Wrote:This is pretty rough like I said, but here is an idea of the #2 sketch with a couple of blinks.  Please forgive it needing cleaned up so badly.

jrichard
[right][snapback]59331[/snapback][/right]

I like it when the eye shuts and then opens once. It's kinda creepy, as if the LL was watching me....... :blink:
jrichard,Nov 5 2004, 06:00 AM Wrote:This is pretty rough like I said, but here is an idea of the #2 sketch with a couple of blinks.  Please forgive it needing cleaned up so badly.

jrichard
[right][snapback]59331[/snapback][/right]
That's really cool, jrichard. I was thinking more of a horizontally-rotating animation. In other words, imagine the eye's outer line rotating around the center circle, or the center circle spinning around over and over in a repeating animation.

It would draw your attention without being too overdone.

-Bolty
Xyngynkynyn,Nov 5 2004, 12:55 AM Wrote:but the question put forth to the Longe is: "How important is it that those who see it for the first time recognize the double L's immediately or without explanation as opposed to having this interesting logo?". [right][snapback]59325[/snapback][/right]

Just my opinion, but I prefer the more abstract designs like 12 or 16 to the earler ones, despite the possible lack of recognition of the inversion of the second L.

Of course, any of these logos may lead to Bolty being publically identified with Sauron, but he's a big guy and I'm sure he can handle it.
Thecla,Nov 6 2004, 02:01 AM Wrote:Just my opinion, but I prefer the more abstract designs like 12 or 16 to the earler ones, despite the possible lack of recognition of the inversion of the second L.

Of course, any of these logos may lead to Bolty being publically identified with Sauron,  but he's a big guy and I'm sure he can handle it.
[right][snapback]59440[/snapback][/right]
Agreed :) I do like 17 and 18. Although I'd still support any of the first row as well.

I'm just impressed by the work, thanks so much Xyngyn.

Cheers,

Munk