Diablo III Ideas
Ive heard rumors of a third installment in the Diablo series, not sure if they are true, nor do I really care...but anyways, if YOU could design ideas for a new diablo, what would you do? :blink: Think outside the box here, try thinking beyond diablo2, its characters, levels, monsters, items, etc...something totally new. Ill post my ideas after this thread gets rolling. Go nuts!

-mobsta-
[Image: DakkonBlackblade.jpg]

"My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins." - Dakkon Blackblade, Memoirs
hm... I think if diablo3 does come out, It will be a big hit. I think if I had to make diablo3, I would keep all the elments that made diablo2 a great and unique game (playing style,runewords,crafted items,etc.)But there would be a few other things. I would keep the concept of the acts, But I would make the quests very different and the rewards better. I would add some kind of extra item property, Maybe like engraved, and you could put gems in the engravings to add special elemental effects. Or I would put These magic capsules which can be used in sockets for very good bonuses. For the monsters, I would probably add a few of my own (maybe even make the fabled raziarfg a real monster!) and take a few from the original diablo (I liked the winged demons and the huge doom knights, those were awesome). I would probably add a few more runes and runewords, and more like BoTD (I was thinking of one called "vengeance of tyrael" for any weapon, with the runes Ith,Hel,Eld,Vex,Ber,Zod, ) Because BoTD was like teh only 6 sock runeword in the game. And my "vengeance of tyrael" runeword would have 320% enhanced damage, resistance bonus, rest in peace, A level 10 delirium that you can cast on monsters to slow them down, +2 to all skills, +10 to all attributes and some other stuff. I would make a few more unique rings and amulets And small charm (one I was thinking of is a small charm called "the worldstone shard" and its pic would be mephistos soulstone painted red!) and I would add a few kind of minibosses like maybe King leoric (again and much tougher :P ) and a few others, and they would all drop some random unique item. I have more ideas, But I might just put them on another post, This one is getting long, Dont want to bore you :) So this is what I think Diablo3 would be like if I made it.
One that people beat around is instead of having different characters, there are just skill groups and people can pick between them.

There's another thread somewhere in here where people talk about all this.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Some of my ideas:

new characters-

Rogue Elf - character like the amazon/assasin, only male, and focuses on bow skills as well as magic spells used to control/tame monsters, hide themselves, stealth, etc

Thief - everyone loves the thief! can steal items / gold from monsters (possibly from players, although im sure this would have its ups and downs)... a quick character, can unlock chests, skills like Slit Throat: :ph34r: monster is slain in X seconds, etc

White wizard - spell caster focused on lightning / air attacks, major party benefits / healing, etc

Black wizard - another spell caster focuses on death / fire attacks, something like the orc death knights in War2, Death and Decay-like spells, things that can damage monsters as well as buildings / trees / grass

Dwarf - small tubby characters that like to drink a lot and carry huge hammers. :D skills like Drunken Rage (increased damage / defense, decreased accuracy) and minor spells that modify items (like enchant) giving leech / stats / life, who knows

Ogre - character much like barbarian only much larger in size ( i would like to see different character sizes...small dwarves, huge ogres, etc) mostly damage based, somewhat slower character, yet deals most damage melee-wise...skills like Summon Shrunken Head (basically a minion), Ogre Lore: increases experience at cost of health, etc

just a few late nite ramblings...wish i worked for blizzard.
-mobsta-

[Image: DakkonBlackblade.jpg]

"My power is as vast as the plains, my strength is that of mountains. Each wave that crashes upon the shore thunders like blood in my veins." - Dakkon Blackblade, Memoirs
Posting shortly after the Red Sox won the World Series.

D3 ideas...

Cancel it.

Seriously, very few of the people actually involved with the games are still at Blizzard, so it'd wind up being little more than a publicity game. Think about it, ever since Nubou Uematsu stopped writing the scores for FF games, they've been decent in that you don't have to mute the game, but nothing amazing like the opera song from FF6 or even Liberi Fatali from 8.

And if that reference is too obscure for you, then just look at the Suikoden series. The first 2 games were simply amazing and had the most emotional impact on me of all time (Xenogears being a close second though). When the lead designer/story writer left, and the third game came out, it wasn't on par with the others. It was still a really good game, but it just didn't move me like the first two did.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
AngryMob,Oct 27 2004, 07:56 PM Wrote:Ive heard rumors of a third installment in the Diablo series, not sure if they are true, nor do I really care...but anyways, if YOU could design ideas for a new diablo, what would you do? :blink:  Think outside the box here, try thinking beyond diablo2, its characters, levels, monsters, items, etc...something totally new.  Ill post my ideas after this thread gets rolling.  Go nuts!

-mobsta-
[right][snapback]58387[/snapback][/right]

Dude there is not going to be a Diablo 3 because Diablo is dead and was sent back to hell.
AngryMob,Oct 27 2004, 12:56 PM Wrote:Ive heard rumors of a third installment in the Diablo series, not sure if they are true, nor do I really care...but anyways, if YOU could design ideas for a new diablo, what would you do? :blink:  Think outside the box here, try thinking beyond diablo2, its characters, levels, monsters, items, etc...something totally new.  Ill post my ideas after this thread gets rolling.  Go nuts!

-mobsta-
[right][snapback]58387[/snapback][/right]

Here is a *very* small list of what I think would make a good D3 (at least what comes immediately to mind as I write this):
1.) One large on-line consistent world
2.) Quests should 'instance', like in Guild Wars instead of being static.
3.) Constantly have new content.
4.) Ability to choose sex, race, and class.
5.) New skills. Actually, consider overhauling the current D2 skill system with a new, but similar system. I think Guild Wars and Star Wars Galaxies has the right idea on this matter.
6.) New classes. Maybe the ability to multi-class, like in Dungeons & Dragons; you loose exp for having more than one class, but have more skills to choose from.
7.) Ability to create your own magical items (crafting not included). Available affixes should be based on character level. While an exact affix can be chosen, the number will be randomly generated within the boundaries of the affix to show for how unique Diablo magical items are.
8.) A good story; perhaps since the worldstone was shattered, demons now freely walk the earth, hence there would be constant fighting (typical Diablo ;) ).
9.) COMMENT: The weapon Swap feature of D2 is one of the best ideas I've seen, and is lacking in all current MMO's. Definitely keep this feature! Also keep Hardcore as an option.
10.) All characters should have an alignment that starts off as neutral. Perhaps it will change to good or bad depending on your deeds like in the video game Fable (I don't really like this idea; instead see below).
11.) Hostility should be mutual unless declared "evil" or "good", like in Star Wars Galaxies if you are declared 'Rebel' Imperials can attack you on spot. Same concept here if you are declared "evil", good characters can attack you without a mutual hostility, and vice versa.
12.) Allow guilds; and give each guild a special power unique to the world that all the members of the guild will receive. When a group of people “purchases” a guild, they may choose this power from a list of available powers depending on what their guilds alignment is.

DII Overall Improvements for a DIII:
1.) Ability to naturally increase all skills beyond 20 points.
2.) No character level limit.
3.) No high-leveled character experience penalties.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
MEAT,Oct 30 2004, 06:37 AM Wrote:4.) Ability to choose sex, race, and class.
[right][snapback]58664[/snapback][/right]

You can't really pick "races" in Diablo, unless angels and demons get included.

I personally would go for the mix and match skill group idea. Than you would pick appearance and maybe some other things, and be on your way. There would of course be restrictions on what skill groups go together.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Well, Just because HE was sent back to hell that doesnt mean his other followers/evil people/other prime evils cannot continue the saga. I mean, I tcould be that when the worldstone blows up, A fragment of the corrupted stone hits tyrael and he turns evil, and then tyrael corrupts izual as well. Anything could happen, Diablo IS kind of the heart of the storyline, But if Diablo3 still has something to do with him, It could still work out.
Well, Just because HE was sent back to hell that doesnt mean his other followers/evil people/other prime evils cannot continue the saga. I mean, I tcould be that when the worldstone blows up, A fragment of the corrupted stone hits tyrael and he turns evil, and then tyrael corrupts izual as well. Anything could happen, Diablo IS kind of the heart of the storyline, But if Diablo3 still has something to do with him, It could still work out.
Quote:and then tyrael corrupts izual as well.

Izual was corrupted long ago, that's the reason you eliminate him in Act 4!
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Some types of akills I would like to see are weather skills in their own tree, more plant related skills, undead and demon shapeshifting (turning into a lich would be fun), ranged shapeshifting, some kind of earthquake related spells.

And I still have my weven farther out dream of a civilization type game.

I know he was corrupted a long time ago, and during that quest you dont kill him, you free him. So maybe tyrael corrupts izual AGAIN. get what I am saying?

I think with no limit to character level, things would get a bit insane. I think they should aise it to 150 and that would be fine.
MikethemizJR,Oct 31 2004, 02:31 PM Wrote:I know he was corrupted a long time ago, and during that quest you dont kill him, you free him. So maybe tyrael corrupts izual AGAIN. get what I am saying?
[right][snapback]58720[/snapback][/right]

they set themselves up for a diablo 3 at the end of act 5. the worldstone holds the forces of hell back. Tyreal says even he doesn't know what will happen when he destroys the worldstone. By destroying it, it lets things back into the world. Listen to tyreal's speech after killing baal, and watch the last cut scene, that's how they set you up for diablo 3.

Izual is corrupted, and so is his spirit.. recorrupting him would be redundant, he's corrupted already.
MikethemizJR,Oct 31 2004, 01:34 PM Wrote:I think with no limit to character level, things would get a bit insane. I think they should raise it to 150 and that would be fine.
[right][snapback]58721[/snapback][/right]

Assuming *new* areas would have to be purchased via "expansions", then I don't see this as a problem. Traditionally, expansions allow for higher leveled characters and in return have higher leveled monsters to fights and more powerful items to garner.

Now assuming the same for D3 (if it is an MMO), you would have trouble gaining enough exp to gain levels if you simply fought low-leveled monsters. Possible, but not probable, thus the instituted system of level control (in regards to character level versus new expansions) would be a perfect medium/balance for restricting character levels and powerful items without actually setting a cap. Besides, I always thought a level-cap didn't make any sense. If the Diablo 2 book said, "There is a level 99 character level CAP because mathematically speaking, if a character were to get any more powerful, it would simply unbalance the game. However from a gamers perspective, you can just say your character 'bottomed-out'," how much un-cool would that be? It's the truth, but I would rather hear, "After level 99, characters have reached their pinnacle of achievement with their current class and simply cannot advance any further." Now the problem is if you set a CAP such as in the sentence I just used in an MMO, then suddenly there are NO expansions because you can't add harder monsters and better items if there can’t be any higher leveled characters to survive taking them on. Lack of expansions ($$$) would be bad business for Blizzard, and for the players alike.

So to sum up what I’m saying: D3 will probably be an MMO. Most MMO’s collect a monthly fee which helps upkeep the servers and add minimal content, but the “expansions” allow for the truly great things to happen to a game. With these expansions I can almost guarantee will come the ability to gain MORE levels, HIGHER leveled monsters to fight with your higher levels, IMPROVED magical items, and new areas to explore. Thus the level-cap (per expansion) will be an imagined cap controlled only by the amount of expansions you can afford.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Cinder,Oct 31 2004, 08:10 PM Wrote:they set themselves up for a diablo 3 at the end of act 5. the worldstone holds the forces of hell back. Tyreal says even he doesn't know what will happen when he destroys the worldstone. By destroying it, it lets things back into the world. Listen to tyreal's speech after killing baal, and watch the last cut scene, that's how they set you up for diablo 3.

Izual is corrupted, and so is his spirit.. recorrupting him would be redundant, he's corrupted already.
[right][snapback]58762[/snapback][/right]

What Tyreal said confused me also. I was under the impression that in the Diablo universe, all consciousness had a metaphysical form after death; I believe this is why you see the Prime Evil’s spirits leave their hosts body. The Prime Evils exist as consciousnesses on another dimension of reality consisting of pure energy, which happens to be Hell. I don’t even think the Prime Evils have or ever had a physical body, but because they found a way to subvert their souls into a soul-stone and corrupt people, they can take on a physical form that best represents their imagined image of themselves, however twisted that may be.

Now demons and the like should not be able to enter the Prime Material World. I can only assume that once the Prime Evil entered the PMW, they corrupted the area around them to such a degree, that the physical manifestation of demons formed, if not from the Prime Evils themselves then directly from the fears of people (meaning it was peoples own fears and ideas of what the demons were that brought the demons to life). This is all part of quantum physics.

In the Diablo universe, the worldstone was what separated the PMW from the other dimension of pure (evil) energy, a dimension we cannot even comprehend. Assuming your conscious energy traveled into the afterlife and went to its proper spot (negative, neutral, or positive energy; hell, limbo, heaven – respectively), then with the worldstone destroyed demon consciousnesses would freely roaming the world of Sanctuary! People would be getting possessed left and right and if the demon were killed, they could just possess someone new or reform in a matter of days because the new home for their souls would be Sanctuary (scary thought). Also, this would mean that the three Prime Evils would return indefinitely, probably getting more powerful with the more fear that swept the land.

Yes, Diablo III should be a very interesting game!
MEAT,Nov 1 2004, 02:09 AM Wrote:What Tyreal said confused me also.  I was under the impression that in the Diablo universe, all consciousness had a metaphysical form after death; I believe this is why you see the Prime Evil’s spirits leave their hosts body.  The Prime Evils exist as consciousnesses on another dimension of reality consisting of pure energy, which happens to be Hell.  I don’t even think the Prime Evils have or ever had a physical body, but because they found a way to subvert their souls into a soul-stone and corrupt people, they can take on a physical form that best represents their imagined image of themselves, however twisted that may be.

Now demons and the like should not be able to enter the Prime Material World.  I can only assume that once the Prime Evil entered the PMW, they corrupted the area around them to such a degree, that the physical manifestation of demons formed, if not from the Prime Evils themselves then directly from the fears of people (meaning it was peoples own fears and ideas of what the demons were that brought the demons to life).  This is all part of quantum physics.

In the Diablo universe, the worldstone was what separated the PMW from the other dimension of pure (evil) energy, a dimension we cannot even comprehend.  Assuming your conscious energy traveled into the afterlife and went to its proper spot (negative, neutral, or positive energy; hell, limbo, heaven – respectively), then with the worldstone destroyed demon consciousnesses would freely roaming the world of Sanctuary!  People would be getting possessed left and right and if the demon were killed, they could just possess someone new or reform in a matter of days because the new home for their souls would be Sanctuary (scary thought).  Also, this would mean that the three Prime Evils would return indefinitely, probably getting more powerful with the more fear that swept the land.

Yes, Diablo III should be a very interesting game!
[right][snapback]58780[/snapback][/right]

It always seemed to me that hell was a real place like earth, except that really evil dead souls went there, and that there was another region where neutral souls and souls of things that die in hell and heaaven go, so that other place is where the prime evil souls go. All the worldstone destruction mean is that there won't need to be portals to hell, or that they would be much easier to make, and the earth/hell and earth/heaven connections would be like how the heaven/hell connection is in D2.

Either way, it sould be an interesting storyline.

As a side note, before getting getting the expansion but after reading the storyline and playing regular D2, I though that after beating Baal that there would be a cinematic where Reziarfg would be released into the earth realm, and that reziarfg was what Baal was trying to release by destroying the worldstone, since reziarfg sounded even more powerful than the prime evils.

Customization is good, but I hate the idea of "dual-classing." Instead, it would be nice to have a new form of skill trees, whether it be in the form of feats (passive skills or skills w/o mana cost) and perhaps a general tree, which all classes are able to use.
I liked Diablo 1 for its ability to have more spells, but some spells were just too strong for them. A warrior could get just as many spells as a wizard, meaning he could launch a devastating fireball and then whack him with a sword. I think the synergies are a good step to this, perhaps have a fireball general skill that gets synergies only for a magic user, making it useful for a melee person to shoot at an escaping succubus (they were SO annoying in d1, let's keep it that way!), while not getting it overpowered.
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Nov 3 2004, 04:30 PM Wrote:I think the synergies are a good step to this, perhaps have a fireball general skill that gets synergies only for a magic user, making it useful for a melee person to shoot at an escaping succubus (they were SO annoying in d1, let's keep it that way!), while not getting it overpowered.
[right][snapback]59050[/snapback][/right]

Nice one. That sounds like a cool idea. Maybe some general curses too?
"we have been sent to earth during this dark hour/
to help free the humans from the evil forces that are presently controlling them/
differentiate the holy men from the phony men/
only then will you see the patterns in the pandemonium"

- The Constructus Corporation