Diablo III Ideas
MikethemizJR,Oct 30 2004, 05:53 PM Wrote:Well, Just because HE was sent back to hell that doesnt mean his other followers/evil people/other prime evils cannot continue the saga. I mean, I tcould be that when the worldstone blows up, A fragment of the corrupted stone hits tyrael and he turns evil, and then tyrael corrupts izual as well. Anything could happen, Diablo IS kind of the heart of the storyline, But if Diablo3 still has something to do with him, It could still work out.
[right][snapback]58672[/snapback][/right]

Or something like Tyrael wasnt mister goody at all?, Or cain who got trapped by his own creations ? :P
Well, What I really wanted to see were some optional bosses who were really hard. Like in Final fantasy 8 there is omega weapon, so in diablo 3 I wanted to see optional bosses. Also more complex spells. There should be a new spellcaster class-the warlock. One of his skill trees would be support skills, another one would be dark magic, and the last one would be demonic magic.
MikethemizJR,Nov 9 2004, 03:42 PM Wrote:Well, What I really wanted to see were some optional bosses who were really hard. Like in Final fantasy 8 there is omega weapon, so in diablo 3 I wanted to see optional bosses. Also more complex spells. There should be a new spellcaster class-the warlock. One of his skill trees would be support skills, another one would be dark magic, and the last one would be demonic magic.
[right][snapback]59786[/snapback][/right]

Made up a character sort of like that. new character idea

here's some more ideas: here
also here
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
crumpuppet,Nov 9 2004, 03:07 AM Wrote:Nice one. That sounds like a cool idea. Maybe some general curses too?
[right][snapback]59721[/snapback][/right]

Suggested General Curse: Damn that General!

:D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
HEres my ideas for diablo3:

1>Include three races,i.e Humans(All the characters from Diablo 2-Assasin to sorceress) Demons(Not from the game, but more like hellmages Defiled etc) And angels(NOT Tyrael or Izual)

2>Each race has an alignment-Demons are bad, Angels are Good, humans are neutral.

3>Each character starts from a city:
Demons start from Hell(Expand the map and make it much much larger: as large as Harrogath) They can teleport through to the mortal world through the pandemonium fortress which they capture in a siege.
Angels start in Heaven and the 'Astral Plains' They enter the mortal world through the worldstone keep.
Humans inhabit All the other areas(Exclude Lut gholien and Kurast Instead include New terrain types)

4>The three races clash in the mortal realm and mankinds fate hangs in the Balence. The humans goal is to basically survive. The angels goal is to attack hell and destroy the chaos sanctuary. The Demons must vanquish all of mankind and defile the earth itself. (Not a pretty thought)

5>Include horses for the humans.They can be purchased from an NPC and will help traverse large areas of the map with no stamina loss. they also keep a stash with them(more inventory space!) Unlike mercs, which are ressurected, Horses should be found again in the wild(Quite like a corpse).
No horses for demons(Has a comical picture of The big D riding a stallion :P )Maybe include wolves or snake like creatures for the domons to ride on.Angels can just levitate.

6>Storyline: All three prime evils have been killed and their soulstones destroyed. But only two of the four Lessr evils have been killed. So, if a shard of the Worldstone falls into the hands of a lesser evil.....(Include dramatic storyline here)

Well thats all i got so far, Tell me what you all think.
Cheers,
:ph34r:

But what are Flagship Studio staff up to? Will it be "Daiblo III," i.e. a Diablo-like game with a different name and a new storyline?
Hammer of Atur
PvE/RP World of Warcraft Guild
Argent Dawn (European RP server), Alliance side

Dwarf Campaign
Awarded Custom Campaign for Warcraft III

Tommi's Diablo II information and guides
The de facto source of Diablo II game mechanics
We've seen some of Sanctuary, and a little of Hell, but what about Heaven? I'd like to see ventures into Heaven. However, I want to be able to choose: defend it, or be the one laying siege? I'd like my actions to actually have an effect on the world. For instance, if I started out as a demon, I'd like to have my first few quests in Hell, and then take out the Pandemonium Fortress or other such outpost, and then have that be a base of operations to enter Sanctuary. However, in the middle of a mission later on, have some minion/voice in head tell you that the Pandemium Fortress is about to be retaken, and they need reinforcements. So you'd have to decide: "Am I strong enough to take out this puny human outpost and gather an army of more unscrupulous humans to resteal the Fortress, but risk being cut off from the demonic world, or go back immediately?"
On the side of Heaven, what ruling structure would it have? A powerful god? A council of angels? Anarchy? Would the angels really all be good (with the notable exceptions of Izual), or would there be many shades of 'white' amongst them? Perhaps have you as a character influence their decisions? Are they looking out for our own good, or do they want to conquer us as well (a la Deus Ex style conspiracy, only maybe there is no conspiracy, just 'hints' toward in the form of corrupted angels/demons in disguise?)
For humans, do the people band together, or resort to petty squabbles? Open warfare? Double dealing? You discover that one group of humans has been making deals to both demons and angels; what do you do? Expose them, to weed out the traitors, or reprimand them in private (and possibly threaten them), to avoid internal strife?
Demons are even more interesting: there are two (or more) factions you must choose from (or go against them both, or pretend to be with both of them, or really be with both of them and just side with whomever's winning, and hope the victor doesn't take notice [which would be harder to do if you dominated the battlefield]). On the one hand, there's Baal, Diablo, and Mephisto, banished to Hell. They can't enter sanctuary, so they devote their energies to commanding the war directly against heaven, and attempting to control their power hungry minions. On the other hand, there's Azmodan and Belial as the masterminds, with Andariel and Duriel possibly siding with them. They command the battle for Earth.
I would like to see a return of everyone's favorite characters from D1 and D2, like Farnham, and Gheed. Farnham would try to discover his courage (or maybe just stay drunk), while Gheed tries to profit by selling to the highest bidder. Some merchants would refuse to talk to a character strongly affiliated with the other side, and others would attack on sight.

I would like a few types of character classes, with different races in each class, such as an Orc Warrior, a Demonic (not sure which type would work, some sort of Imp perhaps?) Spy, an Elven Mage, or perhaps Human 'Diplomat' (by which I mean one who attempts to subjugate the foes without ever fighting them, by turning them on themselves [AI altering things would be this guy's specialty]).
For spells, I'd like a mix of D1 style and D2 style, in that there would be a few "tabs", but there would be one or two that everyone has access to, the more basic, but widely useful skills (not Hydra or Raise Skeleton type spells). Make it so that different skills actually have uses in different times, lower level skills (if there is a level requirement, I'm not sure how I would want skills to be gained) would do a lot less damage, sure, but they would have some neat effects, like giving a low level lightning spell do less damage, but have a chance of paralyzing (slow them down, etc).
Return most of the monsters from the past two games, but alter them slightly (ie: not the same, so anything remotely resembling a Stygian Doll should do less exploding damage!), especially the cool monsters like the Horned Demons (hello? We'll be doing sieges in this game, how could you not have a Horned Demon?). I'd also like a greater importance on siege weapons, and make them better than the stupid catapolts! I want a mobile tower with archers/flamethrower imps on top that moves over to your castle, a real balista on the castle walls, hidden spiked pits, moats, drawbridge, tactical retreat AI (but not too good, that would just get annoying), and battle ruses. "Pretend to lose and retreat, then lure them into this forest covered in hay so we can burn them."
Horses, riding wolves, and especially Dragons (with a +50% weakness to arrows, of course).
In hardcore, after the character dies, give them one more chance as an undead type creature. What creature the character turns into depends on race, and how good/evil he/she is (zombie, ghost [physical immune! But weak against magic based attacks], skeleton, etc).
Make more of the music more like the music in Diablo, less like Diablo 2. Much more immersive.

And most importantly, have Reziarfg in the Secret Chicken Level beating Cain with the candlestick.
Tommi,Nov 14 2004, 10:26 AM Wrote:But what are Flagship Studio staff up to? Will it be "Daiblo III," i.e. a Diablo-like game with a different name and a new storyline?
[right][snapback]60173[/snapback][/right]
Well, according to flagshipstudios.com they still haven't revealed much about it, other than the people they're working with say they like it, and some game art.
Obi2Kenobi,Nov 16 2004, 07:40 PM Wrote:I would like a few types of character classes, with different races in each class, such as an Orc Warrior, a Demonic (not sure which type would work, some sort of Imp perhaps?) Spy, an Elven Mage, or perhaps Human 'Diplomat' (by which I mean one who attempts to subjugate the foes without ever fighting them, by turning them on themselves [AI altering things would be this guy's specialty
And most importantly, have Reziarfg in the Secret Chicken Level beating Cain with the candlestick.
[right][snapback]60323[/snapback][/right]

PLEASE no elves, orcs, etc. Sorry but there are already plenty of games with those things in them. One nice thing about D2 is that it uses a different bunch of creatures. Look at it this way, you have humans, saber cats, yeti/wendigo, possibly others on earth, and humans are incredibly costumizable, in hell there are tons of demons, you have succubi, enslaved, venom lords, oblivion nights, etc. to pick from. Heaven doesn't have many choices, maybe different types of angels could be used, or other creatures could be made up. The rest of your ideas are pretty good.

It does make sense for the skills to be based in the species. Humans could use pretty much any skill, are slightly weaker at close combat and stronger at ranged and magic, saber cats get good ranged skills, Succubi can only use demonic and neutral skills and are good at ranged attacks, Angels get lightning and heavenly skills and are good at close combat and magic but not ranged, Oblivion knights are mainly magic and use any such skills except heavenly ones, the list could go on and on.

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Minionman,Nov 16 2004, 08:06 PM Wrote:PLEASE no elves, orcs, etc.  Sorry but there are already plenty of games with those things in them.  One nice thing about D2 is that it uses a different bunch of creatures.[right][snapback]60325[/snapback][/right]
Just an example. :) Although you did remind me of what would make a good demon playable character, the Balrog types. :)
Here's some ideas for characteristics:

Humans
from the surface
possible skills: everything except heavenly or hellish

magic ability (mana, casting speed and such): pretty good
melee: below avergae
ranged: pretty good
attributes: dexterity, magic, medium vitality, lower strength

Idea for humans is that they are the most adaptable, but slightly bad at close combat, although they can still do it with good skills

Saber cats
surface
possible skills: ranged, "agility" skills, some elemental magic, alchemy, possibly others. Definitly not heavy combat or death magic, probably not elemental or wind magic.

magic ability: average
melee: above average
ranged: excellent
attributes: great dexterity, good strength, bad vitality, average magic

Saber cats are mostly ranged but probably would have other skills.

Wendigo
surface
possible skills: heavy combat, animal summoning, wind skills, cold skills. Probably not death or fire skills. Animal skills are naturally good.

magic ability: average
melee: excellent
ranged: below average
attributes: strength and vitality high, mana low

Wendigo I figure would play sort of like druids in a general sense.

Only surface creatures can have wind skills, animal summoning skills, plant summoning skills, or anything else that any non fire druids might have.

Balrog
hell
possible skills: fire skills, hellish skills, heavy combat skills, demon summoning, etc. Definitly not cold, probably not lightning skills.

magic ability: good
melee: good
ranged: bad
attributes: high strength and vitality, medium dexterity and mana.
Balrogs would probably get a fire and fire resistance bonus

Succubus
hell
possible skills: fire, curses, ranged, buffs, lightning, etc. Probably not cold or poison. Definitly not heavy combat.

magic ability: very good
ranged: above average
melee: below average
attributes: high mana, medium-high dex, medium strength, low vitality

Succubi are sort of like the hell version of saber cats the way I thought this out, with better support skills and worse ranged ability.

Doom knights
hell
possible skills: all except surface or heavenly.

magic: good
melee: average
attributes: medium all, probably slightly low vitality and slightly high mana.

The human equivalents of hell. would probably have bonuses to death type skills.

I'm not sure what the hell only skills would be like. Probably some instant death and/or curses and/or some possesion ones probably. I would plan for humans to use some of the "hell" ones like demon summoning or lava skills, but not the extreme ones.

Angel
heaven
possible skills: heavenly, lightning, light and heavy combat, holy bolt type skills. Definitly not ranged or death skills

melee: good
attributes: good strength, vitality, and mana. below average dexterity

See what Tyreal does, that's where these ideas come from.

heavenly mortal
heaven
possible skills: cold, lightning, heavenly, ranged, light combat, heavy combat, etc. definitly not fire or death

magic: above average
melee: below average
ranged: above average
attributes: good dexterity, average everything else

Jamella and Halbu gave the idea

eagle
heaven
possible skills: heavenly summoning, lightning, cold, holy, light combat, ranged. definitly not fire.

melee: above average
ranged: average
attributes: good dex and strength. below average vitality

I needed something that could summon creatures and that was different than angels.

I was thinking several skills groups:
heavy combat ( sort of like the barbarian and paladin physical skills put together)
light combat (like assasin and amazon physical and defense skills put together)
ranged combat
fire
cold
poison
lightning
curses
death skills
holy skills (holy bolt, blessed hammer, etc.)
wind skills (tornado, hurricane, would actually be weather skills in general)
earth skills (volcano, fissure, avalanch, earthquake)
demon summoning
undead summoning
animal summoning
heavenly summoning
hellish
heavenly (would probably be light based damage dealers and some healing, sort of like souped up but more specialized holy skills)

Those were the main ones. I'm not sure how the different species would deal with:
traps
auras
mechanical
enchantments
masteries
etc.

AngryMob,Oct 27 2004, 01:56 PM Wrote:Ive heard rumors of a third installment in the Diablo series, not sure if they are true, nor do I really care...but anyways, if YOU could design ideas for a new diablo, what would you do? :blink:  Think outside the box here, try thinking beyond diablo2, its characters, levels, monsters, items, etc...something totally new.  Ill post my ideas after this thread gets rolling.  Go nuts!

-mobsta-
[right][snapback]58387[/snapback][/right]

I like all the ideas but i don't really know how far out of the box we have really thought.

I like the simple attributes that are now a one of the main charecteristics of the diablo series so it is almost a neccesity to keep them along with the mana and lif globes. the birds eye view is also one of Diablo's key elements that should stay as is, some more recent games have tried to develope the angle change, I personally prefer the top view.

Moving on to new ideas the...

I would like to see a charecter spell book similiar to the original Diablo but make it an item that a charecter will hold some of the stronger books can only be used with a high amount of magic. This would enable all charecters to use certain spells but limit the level and bonouses that a stronger book may offer.

example a fighter could have a spell book but only up to level 2 spells so they could cast it but they are only limited to that spell level. Where as a mage could use a higher spell book that could go up to level 20 or beyond with mods like reduced cost and increased fire damage.

I liek the idea of skill trees but this needs some refinement to make it above diablo II. I would prefer to see the skill taught to each charecter rather than picking a class and being stuck with the three skill trees. Make the charecters a normal human with out a special class yet. As they move through the game the quests they complete, will give them the abilities and skills they would want. So if you can imagine the first part of the game might have the charecters either enter a wrestling match or a bow and arrow competition or even a magic contest. Depending on what the charecter choose would determine in which direction the charecter is developed.

Some will argue that is the same as choosing what class so we need to add a little more. make what they choose a bonous, say the choose a bow and arrow copetition so the charecter will use a bow more than a sword, right. As they use the weapon more there is a counter that increases and when it gets to a certain level they can learn a new skill, which would be taught by a npc throughout the game. The bonous though would allow the charecter to increase these skill faster than others. so if their bow skills would increase faster than their sword skills.

I like the idea to have skill for certain weapons and things like that this would allow a charecter to become a little more well rounded. A fighter could be proficient in ranged combat but when the enemys got close they could switch to a melee weapon and still be proficient. There would have to be some kind of cap like if a charecter gained magic skills that might allow casting with out a book or increases spell damage, would give a penelty to having melee skills, that is they would increase slower.

a few things that would need to be added to the over all game play would have to be MORE players per game in multiplayer. 8 is not enough I would like to see like 32 different charecters all running around. Some may think that is too many but in the world was increased and the towns were bigger like an actual city then it might e worth while. This would allow more than just a few players in the game and you could have separate teams in one game without the complaints that arise now.

Another thing that would be interesting instead of having just weapons that are found have materials that a charecter can use to make weapons and armor. Of course there should be unique items and rares and stuff but make a charecter search for the pieces and the but it together. This would allow some versitility and have the search for items always be there. use gems and ruse to give what ever the item you make the mods. Some one above mentioned ENGRAVING i like that idea there instead of making it socketed it could have a spell engraved kinda like 5% chance cast fire ball or some thing.

There should be soem kinda of charecter visual editor liek if you add lots of points to str and vit your charecter will get bigger and bigger. Where points in dex would make them a little skinny, maybe lots of magic would make a charecter glow or something. I do like the idea of have large and small charecters but with out the different races, this is the humans fight against the demons.

Keep acts and Way Points that was a good idea for progressing through the game.

For a story line i would rather see a prelude to diablo where Horizon was alive or maybe way before that. Something that would lead up to Diablo I. there was all that history in Diablo II i wonder if it couldn't be used in developing the third installment. If not. Make time pass and all is quite cain dies :( and people forget untill there is a sudden event that opens a portal and allows the demons to roam where they rebuild the sanctuary and summon their long sleeping masters. this time though Diablo himself leads the army.

Ohh yea i would like to see more hirelings, not only four types but liek twenty or so. and allow the player s to have more than one this way the battles could be like a war type rather than a toe to toe battle. that might be a little to much if 32 players were in a game each with 5 hirelings 160 things fighting ouch the lag, Hmm

There are my ideas
First, and most important, I'd want the game to have a singleplayer component. (Not all of us enjoy multiplayer gaming with the general public.) I'd also want patch decisions for singleplayer to be made based on actual singleplayer issues, not on multiplayer issues where people abuse loopholes and oversights.

The skill system needs redone. Instead of having Firebolt, Fireball and Meteor as three different skills, I'd combine them into one skill that gains abilities as the character grows. Then, prior to casting, the character could select the delivery method for the skill: focused bolt, explosive ball, or flaming meteor from the sky. That way you'd only have to spend skill points on one skill, instead of on three skills. No obsolete, prerequisite-only, skills, and fewer worries about not having enough skill points for your character build. (Try making a Hydra/Blizzard/T-Storm sorceress in 1.10 that is viable in players 8 Act 5 Hell.)

Synergies lend to this idea, but not enough.
I personally don't have any specific ideas as to what Diablo 3 should contain outside of a storyline that actually means something. However I've been saying this for awhile and the ultimate rpg for me would contain the item generation style of D2 but the complete and total openness of Morrowind. Wouldn't it be great to freely walk around town like say Balmora and show off that unique you were lucky to find on the other side of the world? Of course this would be made better if like someone said awhile ago in this thread if D3 was a MMORPG...which I have my reservations about. But if they kept a single player element to it as well it could work.

Mockey
I skimmed through this thread, and pretty much the only idea's I have seen were game mechanics and/or things regarding classes and monsters. What about the story line? Some of you say that there can not be a Diablo 3, but did you even pay attention to the ending of Diablo 2? When Tyrael destroyed the World Stone. By doing this, he has pretty much knocked down the only thing keeping the normal and paranormal worlds from merging. That was the gist I got from it, anyway.

With it now gone, what is there stopping the battle of heaven and hell from COMPLETELY spilling over into Earth? I'm not talking about your basic siege of Arreat, but more along the lines of legions of demons doing battles with legions of angels. Humans of all cultures battling along side, and against them.

If they were to make a Diablo 3, it would have to be epic. The storyline would have to blow that of the other two out of the water. I have some ideas, I will share them when I get more time.

Peace,

Nick
"It requires an unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious."

--Alfred North Whitehead
MikethemizJR,Oct 30 2004, 10:54 AM Wrote:Well, Just because HE was sent back to hell that doesnt mean his other followers/evil people/other prime evils cannot continue the saga. I mean, I tcould be that when the worldstone blows up, A fragment of the corrupted stone hits tyrael and he turns evil, and then tyrael corrupts izual as well. Anything could happen, Diablo IS kind of the heart of the storyline, But if Diablo3 still has something to do with him, It could still work out.
[right][snapback]58673[/snapback][/right]

Have you even played Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction? First of all, with the destruction of the Worldstone, the barrier between the High Heavens and the Mortal Plane and the Burning Hells is gone and therefore the combatants are now all on the Mortal Plane. Secondly, Izual was already corrupted by the 3 Prime Evils. Thirdly, any new game in the Diablo Franchise is going to have to start from the point after the Worldstone was destroyed. Fourthly, just because some of the key people aren't w/Blizzard anymore does not mean that Blizzard can't come up with a new Diablo game.
Suggestion: No level requirements for anything (except maybe gems, jewels, and runes, all of which had BETTER be there). If you're strong or dextrous enough to use it, that should be enough. Besides, for most required strength and dexterity requirements, you have to assume that any character capable of using the item has attained a certain level already.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Lady Vashj,Apr 27 2005, 09:18 AM Wrote:Suggestion:  No level requirements for anything (except maybe gems, jewels, and runes, all of which had BETTER be there).  If you're strong or dextrous enough to use it, that should be enough.  Besides, for most required strength and dexterity requirements, you have to assume that any character capable of using the item has attained a certain level already.
[right][snapback]75390[/snapback][/right]

Observation.

Hellgate: London is Diablo III by another name.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Thirdly, any new game in the Diablo Franchise is going to have to start from the point after the Worldstone was destroyed.

Two words: Sin War.
:)
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44
Brother Laz,Apr 29 2005, 04:30 PM Wrote:Two words: Sin War.
:)
[right][snapback]75636[/snapback][/right]
Wonderful idea. The Worldstone gets destroyed, so heaven and hell join with Earth, causing extreme chaos. Basically they will merge (as in Mortal Kombat Annihilation). Angels and imps will roam the world.

Thinking of it, it may be a strategy game. Unfortunately, it reminds me of Populous. But hey, why not action RPG?

So if it's RPG-
- Diablo's and Baal's soulstones seemed to survive during D2. Now some imps found them and decided to break them. Think of the chaos!! The 2 Prime Evils would be able to roam the world in soul form. So demons would now have terror/destruction seizures, once in awhile. Angels will have to be careful.
- choose type, angel or demon or human affiliated to one of the factions. Humans are weaker than angels or demons, but they have will, and they can be possessed. Also they can't see celestials, unless guided by one of them, who can also be destroyed. Angels are wise and they prefer domination over destruction, while demons are reckless. REmeMBer: celestials are genderless.
- instead of a volcanic, warm hell, have a cold, unfriendly hell with strong winds. No problem. Diablo II did same to D1.
- instead of a white, cloudy or rocky heaven, have a garden, as Eden.
- smarter enemies and hirelings, making you actually need a brain. Idea: guardian angels, yeah... Not guardian devils, tho.
- imps now are able to shapechange in heaven territory once, and to possess in hell territory.
- dynamic environment and characters (being possible now and in future).
- make use of actual angel factions.
- falling angels. Also make angels more powerful, and demons more prolific.
After all, it could be great. Weak spot: storyline.
Good night.