Violence in sports
Doc,Nov 22 2004, 10:13 PM Wrote:Strong feelings. And sports is but a small piece of a larger problem.

Americans used to be known for heartiness and grit. As old as I am, I can remember a much tougher generation. This was our greatness. We had hard caloused hands and cold steely stares. Now we have metrosexuals and male make up. Winning used to mean something. Now, in little league, or what ever kids are playing, "everybody is a winner" and "you are special." This coming generation is a bunch of mollycoddled miksops with all the determination, conviction, and backbone of a wet noodle. The other day I saw helmets, elbow, and knee pads that were specially made for children learning how to walk. For crying out loud... AAAAAAAAAAARGH!! With out PAIN there is no MOTOVATION to do better. And how the hell does a toddler learn to walk with all that encumbering gear? Let them fall and take their lumps. Let them split their chins on the coffee table corner. They do it once or twice and they learn to never do it again.

As it should be in sports. Losing should hurt. Should be personally painful as a motivator to go out and kick ass next time.

Or you could just be "special."
[right][snapback]60871[/snapback][/right]

In that case, you and me are way off. Does being "tough" make people better smarter or better at analysing things? The "tough" people don't seem to learn much problem solving besides being "tough". You see walking pads, but haven't looked around enough to see people learning different and more effecient ways of solving problems than just the brute force way. And of course there are people who can analyse things better than just picking one way and sticking to it all the time without thinking about it. Sure there are some whiners, there are also some smart tricky people that can get what they're looking for. For your walking analogy, instead of people falling down several times, they see how other people walk and learn from it.

In sports, I expect things like tackling in football and checking in hockey, and of course regular bumping and grinding in sports, those are part of sports and sometimes good game strategies, the prolem I have is with the fights.

I will probably agree more about htings like swearing and sex in movies for example, and the general complaining about "family values". In some sports, starting fights can be considered a "good" thing, where in the rest of life, it isn't. Things like sex and swearing are things people will have to understand one time or another, so they might as well learn and understand them. I also think kids in general are smart enough to understand that movies are movies, which may sort of take away from the srports argument, but I still think they are both good. And of course with any "family values" arguments, It's hard to believe that people aren't smart enough by themselves to handle their own situations.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Blah blah bla...when I was a boy we used to walk to school through 3 feet of snow in our bare feet... blah blah blah.
Doc,Nov 22 2004, 09:13 PM Wrote:Strong feelings. And sports is but a small piece of a larger problem.

Americans used to be known for heartiness and grit. As old as I am, I can remember a much tougher generation. This was our greatness. We had hard caloused hands and cold steely stares. Now we have metrosexuals and male make up. Winning used to mean something. Now, in little league, or what ever kids are playing, "everybody is a winner" and "you are special." This coming generation is a bunch of mollycoddled miksops with all the determination, conviction, and backbone of a wet noodle. The other day I saw helmets, elbow, and knee pads that were specially made for children learning how to walk. For crying out loud... AAAAAAAAAAARGH!! With out PAIN there is no MOTOVATION to do better. And how the hell does a toddler learn to walk with all that encumbering gear? Let them fall and take their lumps. Let them split their chins on the coffee table corner. They do it once or twice and they learn to never do it again.

As it should be in sports. Losing should hurt. Should be personally painful as a motivator to go out and kick ass next time.

Or you could just be "special."
[right][snapback]60871[/snapback][/right]

Whiner.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Nov 23 2004, 12:01 AM Wrote:Whiner.
[right][snapback]60882[/snapback][/right]

Where you "special" as a child?
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
I dislike pretty boys also.

In a perverse twist I see men taking on all the bad traits of women that feminists have fought against.
I think its pathetic to see people objectifying themselves. Metrosexuals, flaming queers, bling bling rappers, and even body builders all disgust me.

But I think you are confusing violences and fighting with stand up qualities like toughness, (modest)stoicism and responsibility.
Engaging in an exceptional dangerous sport doesnt give you character it gives you injuries.
And even worse getting in fights doesnt make you tough it show you lack self control.

The toughest man I ever knew was my grandad. He was a farmer who had been a coal miner on the side to support his family. The man never complained.
He really was the guy who walked to both school and work through 3 fet of snow, but he would never tell you about it.
But he was also the the least violent,y least prideful man you could imagine.
You dont need to play games where people get hurt or smack someone in the mouth who disrespects you to be a man.
Doc,Nov 22 2004, 10:08 PM Wrote:Where you "special" as a child?
[right][snapback]60883[/snapback][/right]

MOMMY ALWAYS MADE THE BEST SOUP.
It's unbelievable that only Zara (at least among those who posted) got it. Sheesh!!!

-A
Ashock,Nov 22 2004, 10:51 PM Wrote:It's unbelievable that only Zara (at least among those who posted) got it. Sheesh!!!
-A
[right][snapback]60890[/snapback][/right]

I saw it and chose to ignore it.
Ashock,Nov 22 2004, 09:51 PM Wrote:It's unbelievable that only Zara (at least among those who posted) got it. Sheesh!!!
-A

What, the fact that the original post comes from a NQTN (Not Quite the News) source? The topic is violence in sports and the discusion chose to follow that instead of a trumped up PGA brawl.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Nov 23 2004, 10:31 AM Wrote:What, the fact that the original post comes from a NQTN (Not Quite the News) source?  The topic is violence in sports and the discusion chose to follow that instead of a trumped up PGA brawl.
[right][snapback]60950[/snapback][/right]

Try made up. not trumped up.

-A
Ashock,Nov 22 2004, 05:27 PM Wrote:(2004-11-22) -- A brutal fistfight among golfers and fans at this weekend's Dunlop Phoenix in Miyazaki, Japan, may result in the suspension of top players from several nations, and again raises concerns about how the so-called "Cadillac and Callaway" attitude which has dominated the game may contribute to a coarsening of the culture.

PGA executives continue to review videotape of the incident, which apparently started when a fan standing near the tee box shouted 'Miss it!' while Tiger Woods was in mid-swing.

"You can't blame the golfers," said an unnamed PGA source. "A lot of these kids came from the suburbs, and you can't change their behavior just by paying them millions of dollars."
http://www.scrappleface.com
-A
[right][snapback]60827[/snapback][/right]

I googled for that brawl multiple ways and couldn't find anything...

Anyways, I just saw the NBA fight today and couldn't believe my eyes! It's pretty sad that a fan would go to such lengths to express his anger as to throw a cup at the athletes, but it is even sadder when the athletes of today can't contain [their] emotions! These athletes are the inspirations and role-models for our youths, and I for one do NOT want my children thinking its okay to hit anyone who disagrees with them, nor do I want my children fending off rabid fans with their fists just to play a game!

After reading some of the replies on this thread, at first found it humorous how the discussion evolved into a name-calling spat about rather all sports should be contact or not. With the curtain of this NBA (and supposed PGA) brawl as a backdrop for their replies, I find their responses inappropriate, and furthermore their attitudes would serve only to instigate such brawls in the future. I feel more needs to be said, however I’m at a loss for words at the moment (and being summoned by kids).
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Hi,

Good job -- a real classic ;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

B)

-A
nit:

Phrasal Verb:
trump up
To devise fraudulently: trumped up a charge of conspiracy.

Have a nice day and happy motoring :)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Ashock,Nov 22 2004, 11:51 PM Wrote:It's unbelievable that only Zara (at least among those who posted) got it. Sheesh!!!
-A

This title made me giggle my head off.

Iran Suspends Uranium Enrichment, E.U. Suspends Disbelief

I am still grinning.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
jahcs,Nov 23 2004, 02:49 PM Wrote:nit:

Phrasal Verb:
trump up
To devise fraudulently: trumped up a charge of conspiracy.
Have a nice day and happy motoring :)
[right][snapback]60975[/snapback][/right]

In dealing with adjectives, or as you so nicely put it, phrasal verbs as descriptives (two points to jahcs for Grammarian Stylishness) one could also use bogus, fake, fabricated and / or, as Ashock did, choose a Churchillian mode of simplicity and go with "made up."

Having been a wordsmith for some years, I would offer my opinion that, in choosing a "best phrase or best word" to express the core idea, and considering context, made up trumps trumped up, although both descriptives work well enough to get idea across.

Even so, I offer you, good sir, a Guinness: in recognition of your Grammarian Goodness! :D

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
MEAT,Nov 23 2004, 10:54 AM Wrote:I googled for that brawl multiple ways and couldn't find anything...

Anyways, I just saw the NBA fight today...

Hah, you make the fight sound more intresting than the game itself. I wonder if they'll start paying random people to incite things. -_-

But yes, I would be raising high hell should anyone throw a cup at me, but IMO, certain athletes put too much value on their ego. Truth be told, it's not worth 1/10 as much for many of them. I can't expect them to feel nothing of course, as they are still human.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Occhidiangela,Nov 23 2004, 02:13 PM Wrote:This title made me giggle my head off.

Iran Suspends Uranium Enrichment, E.U. Suspends Disbelief

I am still grinning.

Occhi
[right][snapback]60981[/snapback][/right]

Yeh, that site is awesome ;-)

-A
Thanks Occhi. :) I must confess to exercising my Google Fu when defending my phraseology. It took me a moment to find the correct definition of the type of term I had thrown into the conversation.

And I understand how trump can be viewed as a misnomer, especially in this case. Trump has multiple, some bordering on contrary, meanings. Reminds me a bit of the apology thread.

I invite all those involved to the nearest virtual pub for a round. And Smithwicks is my preffered poison. B)

Some related links:

The "APOLOGY" thread

phrasal verb

Doolins Pub --- Make sure you check out the menu!

The Subservient Chicken doesn't have anything on this bartender
The Bill of No Rights
Ashock,Nov 22 2004, 11:51 PM Wrote:It's unbelievable that only Zara (at least among those who posted) got it. Sheesh!!!
-A

I did get it, but only after a few posts and by than the thing with Doc was going, so I didn't make any "oops" posts.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)