Is anyone using sub-minimum gear?
Hi,

Magi and I were able to play the beta quite well with machines that didn't meet the stated minimum requirements (600 MHz CPUs instead of the 800's Blizz wanted). Just wondering if that will still work for the release.

So, if anyone is using minimum or sub minimum gear, tell us how well (or badly) it is working out for you.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Nov 24 2004, 12:39 PM Wrote:So, if anyone is using minimum or sub minimum gear, tell us how well (or badly) it is working out for you.

--Pete
[right][snapback]61129[/snapback][/right]

This isn't my primary machine, but my school laptop has WoW at least playable. It's a 1.4 Ghz Celeron processor, 256 MB memory, and an awful video card Mobility Radeon 7500C or something (it has no hardware Texture and Lighting!).

Characters, monsters, spell effects all actually seem pretty decent. Ground textures are horrible. Going through Dun Morogh is just not pretty, you can't even tell what's supposed to be snow and what's supposed to be road. Ironforge and Stormwind are adventures in patience, as it'll frequently hit a little pause while loading more graphics. All said and done though, it is playable once you get into the less graphically-intense areas. However, the laptop is being reserved mainly for chatting with my friends and doing professions like fishing and cooking.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Pete,Nov 24 2004, 10:39 AM Wrote:Hi,

Magi and I were able to play the beta quite well with machines that didn't meet the stated minimum requirements (600 MHz CPUs instead of the 800's Blizz wanted).  Just wondering if that will still work for the release.

So, if anyone is using minimum or sub minimum gear, tell us how well (or badly) it is working out for you.

--Pete

1.8 gig processor, 256 ram, and a 16mb vid card. Runs fine if I give it a few minutes when "zoning" into a new area. Lags around more than a handful of people. Bogs down after several hours of continuous play (memory leaks, I'd assume) but I rarely stay on that long, anyways.

Gryphon rides are slideshows at best, crash the game at worst.

All settings at their minimums.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Nov 24 2004, 10:22 PM Wrote:1.8 gig processor, 256 ram, and a 16mb vid card. Runs fine if I give it a few minutes when "zoning" into a new area. Lags around more than a handful of people. Bogs down after several hours of continuous play (memory leaks, I'd assume) but I rarely stay on that long, anyways.

Gryphon rides are slideshows at best, crash the game at worst.

All settings at their minimums.
[right][snapback]61181[/snapback][/right]

What kind of video card, exactly? I'm shocked that a 16 MB card can run WoW.
Pete,Nov 24 2004, 01:39 PM Wrote:Hi,

Magi and I were able to play the beta quite well with machines that didn't meet the stated minimum requirements (600 MHz CPUs instead of the 800's Blizz wanted).  Just wondering if that will still work for the release.

--Pete

Running an Athlon XP2500+ and Radeon 9600 XT, get ~40fps outdoors, ~60fps indoors.

Also, be aware that WoW runs just fine on dial-up; you only need broadband if you don't want to tie up the phone line :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.