map of the stars
I have found in my years (yes, years) of playing diablo, that there is an item known as the map of the stars. I think its a hack, but it definately has some background in the game. The story line once included this item involving the destruction of diablo himself! The map is actually a timer, and when activated, starts moving. If you dont kill diablo quickly, he becomes more powerful. I even have some of the speeches that cain says about the map on my computer. If anyone knows of a mod or other program that activates the map, please contact me. Thankyou
Well you seem to already know what it is, so I won't tell you.

However, Blizzard decided for whatever reason that it wasn't worth implementing, and hence, it never really made it to the final version. No one that i know of has been able to create quests in a mod.

Oh, and if you have seen a Map of the Stars, then it was hacked into the game..

Have a nice day :)
"The axe? Aye, that's a good weapon, balanced against any foe. Look how it cleaves the air, and then, imagine a nice fat demon head in its path. Keep in mind, however, that it is slow to swing - but talk about dealing a heavy blow!"
As noted, MotS was a time-driven quest. The designers took it out because they decided they didn't want to put the player on a deadline to defeat Diablo. Quests in a mod are possible, but difficult and generally not worth the effort expended. They're fun perhaps a few times, but it can easily take hours of work just to enable an existing simple quest (and get it fully synchronized/stabilized across systems). So, it's unlikely you'll ever see the MotS quest restored to a mod. That one in particular doesn't make sense to enable for MP, since MP games are typically short lived (perhaps a few hours, excluding IM games and other oddities), so a timer would just be silly. :)