How to combat writer's block?
I am currently wallowing in a sea of despair, as it has now been 2 days of intensive writing, and I haven't finished the introduction for my paper yet.

For those of you who are new to this: this is the third time I come to the Lounge desperately seeking help and ideas for school-related writings. The ordinary procedure is [1] I come asking for help, [2]You people say something incredibly brilliant and illuminating, [3]I produce a piece of writing that doesn't blow chunks and get a passing grade. Let's see if we can't keep the tradition going!

As I mentioned; it's been 2 days. I've been writing for nearly 12 hours, and I've only got 200+ words into my introduction. Every single sentence has taken me painstakingly long hours of duress and hardship to produce. Writing papers are rarely easily done, but I've never experienced writer's block like this before. When I look at the near-blank MS Word on my computer screen, I feel I have nothing to say. I'm not going to lie and say that I've read everything there is on the subject, but I've read large chunks of relevant books and a couple of articles, so I shouldn't be completely clueless as to what I should include in my paper.

(By the way, my assignment is:
Compare different scholars’ views on the consequences of the printing press for literacy, writing and society. How far are claims of its revolutionary impact justified? (Limit your discussion to a specific area if you wish).)

When I spoke to my teacher, she said I should stick to Elizabeth Eisenstein's "Printing Press as an Agent of Change" (1997) and Lucien Febvre & Henri-Jean Martin's "Coming of the book". This is fine, because every website I've seen so far compare the same two books. I'm just stuck. Undeniably stuck.

I'll be going to the gym in a little while to work out with a friend, and I'm seriously hoping for a "Eureka!"-moment happening sometime between now and the time I get home. Hopefully getting away from the material and everything will dislodge the gigantic obelisk I have in my brain standing in the way between me and the pure brilliance I hope is somewhere within.

The question is:

What do you do to fight writer's block?
* Stand on one's head
* Have a cup of tea/coffee
* Take a walk
* Play through Morrowind (+ expansion packs)
* Accept the worst possible drivel you can think of, and put it into your paper.
* Do a zen/yoga-thing where you meditate on what you really want to say, bringing about sudden - yet pure - enlightenment.

I'm at a loss. All suggestions are appreciated!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hmm, I usually do some abstract thinking to jump start the creativity process in my mind. Usually thinking of how to make a Rube Goldberg Device that acomplishs practically nothing (other than looking pretty darn cool) does the trick for me. Give it a try! Even if nothing good comes of it, at least you had fun thinking about the device :P.
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
[ Wrote:Angel,Mar 31 2005, 08:12 AM]

The question is:

* Stand on one's head
* Have a cup of tea/coffee
* Take a walk
* Play through Morrowind (+ expansion packs)
* Accept the worst possible drivel you can think of, and put it into your paper.
* Do a zen/yoga-thing where you meditate on what you really want to say, bringing about sudden - yet pure - enlightenment.

[right][snapback]72583[/snapback][/right]

1. Have you already written an outline on how you intend to organize the paper? If not, the outline creation process sometimes loosens things up, other times it does not.

2. Working out is a good idea. Changing the oil in you car, or doing some other small repair takes you mind and focuses it on a different kind of task. Once you have done that repair, clean up, fix yourself a meal tht takes a little time to prepare. Listen to classical music, or music with a calming tempo. Pick part of your paper, not necessarily the beginning, but a part of the subject that you feel competent to write a paragraph about, and write that. Let the momentum build.

3. Something tells me you are in the apprehensive stage. Once immersion sets in, you'll be OK.

If all else fails, get drunk, pass out on the floor, and try to write with a hangover in the morning. But that is an extreme measure.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
[wcip]Angel,Mar 31 2005, Wrote:What do you do to fight writer's block?

I've had some very crippling writers block before, so hopefully what worked for me will work for you.

As Occhi said, "you are in the apprehensive stage. Once immersion sets in, you'll be OK." I agree whole heartedly, but in my case the immersion stage doesn't come until the pressure of the deadline is coming. To combat doing all the work the night before, I do a lot of prepatory work.

I sit at the computer, or even with pencil and paper, and write about the topic without stopping to edit (sometimes even with my eyes closed!). Each time I may reread what I wrote once, but I start fresh. The basic idea is to mull over your material as many times as possible before you sit down and actually write it. If you can manage to familiarize yourself with the material and the direction you want to take your paper in, writing the paper itself becomes much easier. And when you sit down and immersion sets in, you're relaxed and writing at your best.

My problem is always the introduction, but through my method of practicing (for say 10 minutes a few times a day) I start to gain a clear idea of what I want to say and how I want to say it.

The bonus with this method is your paper will naturally have a much better transitions, and the paragraphs will flow much better.

In all of this, a mental or written outline does help me to keep from going too far off tangent, but at least in the prepatory stages I don't worry too much about it.

[wcip]Angel,Mar 31 2005, Wrote:I'll be going to the gym in a little while to work out with a friend, and I'm seriously hoping for a "Eureka!"-moment happening sometime between now and the time I get home.

Eureka derives from the perfect form of a verb, euriskw, in Ancient Greek. The trick with writing is to move from eureka (I am in the present state of having found it) to gegrammai!(I am in the present state of having written it)! :P

Goodluck!

Cheers,

Munk
[wcip]Angel,Mar 31 2005, Wrote:The question is:

My approach will probably not be the best thing for you because I'm used to writing in a highly structured science setting. Most of my work product, and 85-90% of my papers in college were always in the same format: Abstract; Introduction; Methods; Results; Discussion; Conclusion.

The only way I've ever been successful in accomplishing such writing is to begin in the middle, write to the end, and then write the introduction, then precis the introduction into the abstract. A modified version might be helpful though. Start writing the body of the paper first.

Although, I may not be the right person to listen to on this one because almost every paper I ever wrote was done in one (marathon) session with no subsequent revision unless prompted by direct criticism by a professor or supervisor. My writing professors in college hated me because nearly all of my drafts would be almost exactly the same, and all I could do is point to the other folks in my "peer revision group" and say that they had no suggestions so I had nothing to address in a new version. They also hated me because I could always justify my choice of passive voice, when in class the stress was that only sophisticated writers should use passive voice. But then again, I went looking for that fight.
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sometimes inability to start writing stems from not understanding the objective clearly.

Are you required to read Elizabeth Eisenstein's "Printing Press as an Agent of Change" (1997) and Lucien Febvre & Henri-Jean Martin's "Coming of the book"? If so have you done this aleady?

Sit down and try to summarize the view point from each book into a paragraph. Nothing formal, just put down your impressions. Now look for similarities or contradictions in the two author's view points into the impact of the printing press in one area. Once you have that you have your objective. You don't necessarily have to start at the beginning (as Jeunemaitre suggested). You just have to start. Organizing your thoughts once you written a few pages is much easier.

As the other lurkers have mentioned, writing has a lot to do with inertia, once you get going it'll be hard to stop.

Good luck.
Signature? What do you mean?
First , I empty my mind , and then ...... :unsure:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,Mar 31 2005, 08:46 AM Wrote:First , I empty my mind , and then ......  :unsure:
[right][snapback]72597[/snapback][/right]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That one deserves 5 lol's!!
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Thanks for all the great advice, good people! I just got back from a solid workout. I had some pasta and an orange. I am now listening to Pachelbel - Canon. In 17 minutes it will be 8 o'clock in the evening, and I will start my evening haul.

(I had already made an outline.)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
As Occhi says refer to your outline or create one. Then build on that for the intro.

If that still doesn't help, just remember an introduction is just a paragraph (or more) to warn the reader what is coming up in the rest of the paper. Try just writting shorthand style notes on what your paper will say and then come back to it later to fill in the blanks and make it coherent.

If that still won't work and you can't get the introduction rolling... Skip it! Work on the rest of the paper and come back to it later. Using the rest of what you have written as a base the intro should just about write itself.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 31 2005, 12:47 PM Wrote:If that still won't work and you can't get the introduction rolling... Skip it!  Work on the rest of the paper and come back to it later.  Using the rest of what you have written as a base the intro should just about write itself.
[right][snapback]72604[/snapback][/right]

I like jahcs advice.

And, just because the initial question reminded me of it:

Quote:I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again.
Oscar Wilde
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Just make an outline. How long does the paper have to be? If it's just supposed to be a basic 5 paragraph paper, it's standard. Main subject, three major parts (each is a paragraph), min 5 points to make up part (each point should be 1-2 sentences). The break the three major parts back out for the introduction (just INTRODUCE the three body paragraphs), and the conclusion should be the same as the intro, just with all the major conclusions about the points of information, rather than leading into those points. So for setting up a computer:

Building a New Computer:

INTRO Paragraph
(paragraph 1)Point 1. Hardware (I'd actually put about 10 points or more in this paragraph, or even make two paragraphs or three out of it.)
part 1: Case, power supply, and fans
part 2: memory + processor
part 3: hard drives + optical drives
part 4: expansion cards (video, sound, tuner, etc.)
part 5: Monitors, keyboards, mice, printers, etc
(paragraph 2)Point 2. Software
part 1: Operating system
part 2: Application Software
part 3: Games
part 4: Utilities
part 5: Security
(paragraph 3)Point 3. Installation
part 1: Component setup
part 2: Post+Bios
part 3: Operating system
part 4: Driver update, and solidity of OS testing
part 5: Application + Games + Utility + Security software installation plus updates.
Conclusion Paragraph (So now, after selecting and purchasing components and software, and going through the installation and testing process, you now have a new computer ready for the biggest baddest gaming and video editing possible. Try it out! Have fun! Blah blah blah!)

There you go. It's your paper. Add some explanatory words (filler), and ace the assignment.

-A writing slacker who takes 30 minutes to type a 3 page paper, and gets an "A"
jahcs,Mar 31 2005, 11:47 AM Wrote:As Occhi says refer to your outline or create one.  Then build on that for the intro.

If that still doesn't help, just remember an introduction is just a paragraph (or more) to warn the reader what is coming up in the rest of the paper.  Try just writting shorthand style notes on what your paper will say and then come back to it later to fill in the blanks and make it coherent.

If that still won't work and you can't get the introduction rolling... Skip it!  Work on the rest of the paper and come back to it later.  Using the rest of what you have written as a base the intro should just about write itself.
[right][snapback]72604[/snapback][/right]

:lol:

I learned, over the years, to write the introduction or the abstract last, after I finished the body of the paper. Then I write the conclusion, or summary, after the intro to make sure they both tie together. This prevents some extra nug work if I changed my mind or the approach a bit during the creative process: I don't have to keep changing the intro to see if I have to change it.

To each his own.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
TaMeOlta,Mar 31 2005, 10:46 AM Wrote:First , I empty my mind , and then ......  :unsure:
[right][snapback]72597[/snapback][/right]

*grin*

So, you started writing that paper a few years ago, what say you head on over to the pub for a Guinness and slowly start to refill the old mind! :lol:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete

Unfortunately the only reliable way I have found to break writer's block is to sit down and write. Get some words down on paper. Don't worry about style or the perfect word - those can come later. The important thing is to get something down on paper. You may end up throwing away everything you write today tomorrow but it will still be a step along the way of getting it done. Taking a walk, working out, etc can be helpful for getting brain storms - they can also be the warning signs of screwing off instead of writing. Limit the time you spend doing each or take a pad of paper and writing utensil with you if you do get that brainstorm. If you don't - back to the anvil young Smith - you have a assignment to forge. ;)

P.S. TV, games and the internet are the bane of a writer on a deadline. Avoid them.
I'm probably not the best one to ask since I'm verging on hour 100 on a 20-page paper on Michael Oakeshott (if you include research). Anyways, my suggestion? Don't be afraid to scrap what you've got. I've wasted more hours trying to fix what is beyond repair... Sometimes its best just to cut your losses. Perhaps you've already done that...

Anyways, I'll pray to the essay gods for you if you do the same for me! :wacko: :)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Chaerophon,Mar 31 2005, 09:00 PM Wrote:Anyways, I'll pray to the essay gods for you if you do the same for me!  :wacko: :)
[right][snapback]72631[/snapback][/right]

15 on Roman Christianity, 10 (was 8) on Milton's Satan, 20-30 left on thesis...

It's time for all the end-of-school-year Lurkers to join hands and sing a few rounds of Kum-Bay-Yah. :P

Oh! And wanted to add this earlier: stay away from high amounts of caffeine or uppers. A friend of mine takes ADD drugs and mainlines coffee whenever she pulls an all-nighter and then can't sleep for the next few days. She claims it's worth it. <_< Nothing is more important than your health and well-being, and if your teachers or professors or employers know you and love you, they'll understand.

And it always helps me to go to some restaurant or coffeehouse during off-hours (aka other than the lunch or dinner rush) and take my work with me. The easily distracted part of my brain has enough goings-on to be easily distracted, leaving the hard-at-work parts to be hard-at-work. Or if you can't afford to go out, try a computer lab or social area to get away from your room and its temptations.

(Everybody's already given the research and paper advice. Atmosphere is important too! :D)
UPDATE: Spamblaster.

Procrastinate!! Can't think of what to write right now? That's ok! It's not due for 2 weeks, go play some videogames! The words will come to you when the time is right. For me, the right time was usually the night before the assignment was due :D

Back when I was in college (graduated last spring), I physically could not write any assignment earlier than the night before. I just couldn't do it. The temptation to procrastinate was always too strong. Even if I had nothing better to do and I sat myself down at a computer with the mindset that it's time to write, I would last 15 minutes tops before either getting up and leaving or distracting myself through the internet. I pulled an all-nighter on every major assignment my senior year. I'd take a Pepsi and some munchies to the computer lab, sit down, and let the creative juices flow all night, taking an occassional break to use the restroom.

I even managed to get good grades too :D

My advice is probably not the best you'll read on this topic...

--Copadope
Occhidiangela,Mar 31 2005, 11:15 AM Wrote:If all else fails, get drunk, pass out on the floor, and try to write with a hangover in the morning.&nbsp; But that is an extreme measure.
[right][snapback]72590[/snapback][/right]

This method got me through college.
I forget where it was that I read this, but I've seen several different articles/stories/some sort of written work about authors who actually did comparisons of what they wrote in times when they felt they had writer's block versus what they wrote when the writing came easily. In every one of them, the authors decided that their writing was no different, that their writing level was the same no matter how they felt about it while they were doing it.

Personally, I've had plenty of papers I've written that came easily that I would read the next day and decide they weren't any good. On the other hand, there have been times that the writing was really hard for me but the end results were great! I think that our perception, as we write, is not really indicative of how the result is going to come out.

Therefore, my best suggestion would be to ignore how you feel about your "writing mood" and just start working! :)
-TheDragoon