PvP
I'd suggest you try PvP in your thirties and forties before your sixties; to me, that was (by far) the most fun I've ever had in WoW. Arathi Highlands was basically one huge battleground with several groups of 30's and 40's killing each other. Stromgarde was even better :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Apr 26 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:I'd suggest you try PvP in your thirties and forties before your sixties; to me, that was (by far) the most fun I've ever had in WoW.  Arathi Highlands was basically one huge battleground with several groups of 30's and 40's killing each other.  Stromgarde was even better :)
[right][snapback]75281[/snapback][/right]
Before the honor system was put into place, I was having a lot of fun PvPing on the PvE servers and I still have no character at level 60. I greatly enjoyed defending my territory, even when I died in the attempt. Even a level 12 priest of mine would help defend and even got some kills (I was the only one who DoTed the rogue). My shaman (37 at the time) managed to help take out 5 alliance with only three of us shaman defending (one of the other shaman was 60). It was great! I loved it! Then the honor system without battlegrounds got rolled out.

Now that the honor system is in place, my shaman gets raped as soon as I'm flagged. She's 43. The attackers are generally 50s and above. There are almost never fewer than 10 trying to attack now and there aren't enough horde around to defend. I get flagged and poor Mogo is taking a dirt nap less than 5 seconds later simply because she gets swarmed by all those 50 and 60 characters after whoever I attacked yells out. It used to be great fun when there were more even fights. I still would die if alone, but that's really to be expected. Now it's just an exercise in frustration unless you are one of the faction that is zerging the place. PvP servers may be a world of difference since you aren't starved for PvP action, but the PvE servers are just an absolute hassle. My poor horde characters haven't been played now for a while simply because of the frustration. The lowbies just get swarmed and die if I try to fight, the mid-level ones get swarmed and die and I have no high level horde. It's not fun to be constantly outnumbered and that's really the issue with the honor system - unbalanced pops on the PvE servers.
Intolerant monkey.
Tal,Apr 21 2005, 11:16 AM Wrote:Give it a few days for the knuckleheads to realize they're not getting any honor points for killing NPCs.
[right][snapback]74699[/snapback][/right]
Well it's been a week. The only thing that has changed is people are not as quick to help places like Tarren Mill because they are ALWAYS under attack. I went there and including myself there were maybe 7 people on the horde side above 55. The alliance had enough to zerg the entire town including all the spawn points for deathguards. About all I could do was shift to cat form and pounce someone who strayed too far from the pack.

Note: When defending towns I try to nuke, snare, and heal which is more how my talents are spent. Not play rogue.
Sir_Die_alot,Apr 26 2005, 09:38 PM Wrote:Well it's been a week. The only thing that has changed is people are not as quick to help places like Tarren Mill because they are ALWAYS under attack. I went there and including myself there were maybe 7 people on the horde side above 55. The alliance had enough to zerg the entire town including all the spawn points for deathguards. About all I could do was shift to cat form and pounce someone who strayed too far from the pack.

Note: When defending towns I try to nuke, snare, and heal which is more how my talents are spent. Not play rogue.
[right][snapback]75335[/snapback][/right]

TM and SS always HAVE been under attack, and always will, even after the battlegrounds come out. What do you think people are going to do while they wait in line?

Complaining about TM and/or SS always being under attack is rather pointless.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
Artega,Apr 27 2005, 11:31 AM Wrote:Complaining about TM and/or SS always being under attack is rather pointless.
[right][snapback]75415[/snapback][/right]
Maybe I was not clear. "Under attack" is no big deal and is to be expected when 2 opposing towns are that close. Small wars between these towns was obviously intended by Blizzard. What I am talking about is a whole town that is now routinely obliterated and spawn camped each day. Do you remember the screenshot Nobbie posted? (his host seems to be down or I'd link to it here) That's Tarren Mill 3:00 to 7:00 or later. It's not a battle it's just a giant gank of NPCs.
Treesh,Apr 26 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:It's not fun to be constantly outnumbered and that's really the issue with the honor system - unbalanced pops on the PvE servers.
[right][snapback]75284[/snapback][/right]

Bolty & svaughn had it right in another post, that PvP *is* the future of this game. I think the counterpoint is that population imbalance is the biggest threat to the long-term survival of the game.

Blizzard's objections notwithstanding, I think the survey sites (such as woworealms.com and wowcensus.com) are a pretty good representation of what's going on. If you're lucky enough to play on a blanced server, PvP can be great fun. But getting farmed and being unable to play your character is enough to turn off even the most ardently masochistic PvPers out there, and I would bet that if this continues, it will start to take a toll on Blizz's revenues.

My bet is that they are planning for the Battlegrounds to give all the high-level players a place to PvP without interfering with other characters as they level up. But AFAIK the battlegrounds will be instanced and will require even teams on both sides, so this isn't going to work if the factions aren't balanced. One faction is going to have a set of 60s sitting around bored 'cause they can't PvP in the Battlegrounds, and woe betide the lowbies of the opposite faction that happen to be nearby.

Maybe this will all be self-correcting, as the bored high-level characters start alts on the opposing faction to even the teams. That's the best outcome that I can see; it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

It's actually fascinating to see how things develop; it seems that Blizz has thought of a lot of these issues and has an approach ready to try, but it never quite comes off the way they planned once it goes live -- take the past statements about not needing active dishonour points in the system vs. recent comments about including an anti-griefing dishonour system in future as one example. Nothing seems to quite go according to plan, but it's really interesting to watch them trying to deal with the outcomes as the players get hold of the world and do unexpected things with it.

In fact, I have to say, I get almost as much a kick out of watching Blizzard trying to ride this tiger as I do out of playing their game. I think the folks there must be living through some interesting times. :)

Kv

Sir_Die_alot,Apr 27 2005, 03:46 PM Wrote:Maybe I was not clear. "Under attack" is no big deal and is to be expected when 2 opposing towns are that close. Small wars between these towns was obviously intended by Blizzard. What I am talking about is a whole town that is now routinely obliterated and spawn camped each day. Do you remember the screenshot Nobbie posted? (his host seems to be down or I'd link to it here) That's Tarren Mill 3:00 to 7:00 or later. It's not a battle it's just a giant gank of NPCs.
[right][snapback]75418[/snapback][/right]

Welcome to Hillsbrad Foothills for the Horde.