Batman Begins
Doc, you've made my wish come true, and without that evil suggestion from Griselda, which, we all hope, will remain unfulfilled. B)

And Occhi, which of the 3 don't you prefer? I know Téa Leoni isn't quite the caliber of some of the other names mentioned so far, but she definitely isn't one to be ashamed to take home to meet the family. And she doesn't have those bee stung lips that made out with family members like Angelina. Kudo's to the Tomb Raider costume department though. :shuriken:
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
WarLocke,Apr 29 2005, 04:33 PM Wrote:The Saint and Willow would like to have a word with you.  :angry:

(not gay for Val Kilmer)
[right][snapback]75692[/snapback][/right]

Doc Holiday in Tombstone, or Jim Morrison in The Doors.

Val Kilmer is one of my favourite actors.
DeeBye,Apr 29 2005, 07:34 PM Wrote:Doc Holiday in Tombstone...
[right][snapback]75751[/snapback][/right]

Excellent pick DeeBye!
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Just the other day somebody said I was a meaner nastier version of Doc Holliday. Like Doc Holliday... With hemroids, I believe is what they said.

I considered lobbing off a spare shot in their general direction for that remark.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
jahcs,Apr 30 2005, 12:23 AM Wrote:Excellent pick DeeBye!
[right][snapback]75753[/snapback][/right]

"I'm your huckleberry."

"It appears my hypocrisy only goes so far."

"I'll be damned. This is funny."

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone is the greatest acting performance I have ever seen. Every single line from him is pure genius.
As a life long batman fan I take great umbrage in the overall assertion that any of the batman films, even those done by tim burton, were decent. Although i would say that the ones done by tim burton are more enjoyable to watch than the later the fact remains that the films by Tim Burton absolutely slaughter any semblance of inner character identity in exchange for visual style.

Tim Burton's films repeatedly betray the characters they are based on, although i can't say how much that can be blamed on Burton and how much of it comes to faulty writers. First of all nearly every peripheral character in the original Tim Burton movie is there in name only and has absolutely no resemblence to the actual character in the books. Secondly and more importantly is the fact that Batman kills over 10 people in the original movie if not more, and climactically through his own actions kills the joker as well. This is an ongoing flaw in all of the movies and is just a symptom of the overall character betrayals that all of the movies have perpetrated. If the joker was falling off that building Batman would be 5 feet behind him doing everything in his power to save the dispicable bastard and if these writers/directers had any real idea of what these characters were about the only logical conclusion that the first Burton movie would have had would be Bruce Wayne splattered on the ground right next to the joker.

Another problem with the original Batman movies is that, in large part, they were made off the sudden popularity of the Frank Miller graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns. Unfortunately much of this book contains the same type of charcter descrepancies as the movies do. Being as that novel is more of a What-If? story I don't think any continuity based book, or movie for that matter, should base much of it's mood/character on them. And it really is unfortunate because a much better Frank Miller book to base a Batman movie on would be his work in Batman: Year One. I still get a little nauseus when i'm at the comic shop and i hear some crankshaft going on about how great TDKR is and 2 seconds later it becomes apparant that their whole concept of what the Batman universe is about is based on this one book.

On the topic of the new Batman movie, I have complete confidence in it's ability to as accurately as possible translate the characters. They really have gotten the perfect person to play Bruce Wayne. I'm constantly reminded of the beginning of American Psycho: "There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real Me. Only an entity. Something illusory." "I simply am not there."

I also think that any writer or director that might attempt to takle a batman film would sorely lacking if they didn't spend a good bit of time studying the works of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale in The Long Halloween and Dark Victory as well as the graphic novel Arkham Asylum as it is the rawest batman book ever made and as close to the core of these characters as you are likely to get.
WarLocke,Apr 29 2005, 12:33 PM Wrote:The Saint and Willow would like to have a word with you.  :angry:

(not gay for Val Kilmer)
[right][snapback]75692[/snapback][/right]

The Saint is proof of my opinion, thanks.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
jahcs,Apr 29 2005, 06:31 PM Wrote:Doc, you've made my wish come true, and without that evil suggestion from Griselda, which, we all hope, will remain unfulfilled. B)

And Occhi, which of the 3 don't you prefer?  I know Téa Leoni isn't quite the caliber of some of the other names mentioned so far, but she definitely isn't one to be ashamed to take home to meet the family.  And she doesn't have those bee stung lips that made out with family members like Angelina.  Kudo's to the Tomb Raider costume department though. :shuriken:
[right][snapback]75736[/snapback][/right]

TL is not to my taste, though she is pretty.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Chesspiece_face,Apr 29 2005, 11:34 PM Wrote:As a life long batman fan I take great umbrage in the overall assertion that any of the batman films, even those done by tim burton, were decent.  Although i would say that the ones done by tim burton are more enjoyable to watch than the later the fact remains that the films by Tim Burton absolutely slaughter any semblance of inner character identity in exchange for visual style. 

Tim Burton's films repeatedly betray the characters they are based on, although i can't say how much that can be blamed on Burton and how much of it comes to faulty writers.  First of all nearly every peripheral character in the original Tim Burton movie is there in name only and has absolutely no resemblence to the actual character in the books.  Secondly and more importantly is the fact that Batman kills over 10 people in the original movie if not more, and climactically through his own actions kills the joker as well.  This is an ongoing flaw in all of the movies and is just a symptom of the overall character betrayals that all of the movies have perpetrated.  If the joker was falling off that building Batman would be 5 feet behind him doing everything in his power to save the dispicable bastard and if these writers/directers had any real idea of what these characters were about the only logical conclusion that the first Burton movie would have had would be Bruce Wayne splattered on the ground right next to the joker.

Another problem with the original Batman movies is that, in large part, they were made off the sudden popularity of the Frank Miller graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns.  Unfortunately much of this book contains the same type of charcter descrepancies as the movies do.  Being as that novel is more of a What-If? story I don't think any continuity based book, or movie for that matter, should base much of it's mood/character on them.  And it really is unfortunate because a much better Frank Miller book to base a Batman movie on would be his work in Batman:  Year One.  I still get a little nauseus when i'm at the comic shop and i hear some crankshaft going on about how great TDKR is and 2 seconds later it becomes apparant that their whole concept of what the Batman universe is about is based on this one book.

On the topic of the new Batman movie, I have complete confidence in it's ability to as accurately as possible translate the characters.  They really have gotten the perfect person to play Bruce Wayne.  I'm constantly reminded of the beginning of American Psycho:  "There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real Me.  Only an entity.  Something illusory."  "I simply am not there." 

I also think that any writer or director that might attempt to takle a batman film would sorely lacking if they didn't spend a good bit of time studying the works of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale in The Long Halloween and Dark Victory as well as the graphic novel Arkham Asylum as it is the rawest batman book ever made and as close to the core of these characters as you are likely to get.
[right][snapback]75760[/snapback][/right]

Nice post, I am curious, do you have all of those old 50's(or was it early 60s) Batman comic books? The originals? It has been years since I have read a Batman comic book. I remember him being big on beating guys up and getting the police to bag them, but some of that memory is probably contaminated by that campy 1960's TV show, the one that had the loveliest catwoman of all time in it. (Sorry Halle)

I am guessing that Batman has, in the past generation, taken on a new internal structure. I have not kept up, but I agree with anyone who finds George Clooney bad for the genre. His film went in the campy direction.

I liked the Michael Keaton films(Tim Burton?) even though the actor himself did not "click" for me as batman.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Eartha Mae Kitt...

MMMRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOW BABY! RRRRRRRRRREOW!

Oh GOD I used to dream she would chase after me with a bullwhip.

SEX KITTEN!!

Such a naughty Cat Woman.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
DeeBye,Apr 29 2005, 11:48 PM Wrote:Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone is the greatest acting performance I have ever seen.  Every single line from him is pure genius.
[right][snapback]75757[/snapback][/right]

I don't know, I really liked him in Real Genius.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
WarLocke,Apr 30 2005, 09:10 AM Wrote:I don't know, I really liked him in Real Genius.
[right][snapback]75787[/snapback][/right]

I agree. He was great in it.

-A
Doc,Apr 30 2005, 08:44 AM Wrote:Eartha Mae Kitt...

MMMRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOW BABY! RRRRRRRRRREOW!

Oh GOD I used to dream she would chase after me with a bullwhip.

SEX KITTEN!!

Such a naughty Cat Woman.
[right][snapback]75784[/snapback][/right]

Ok, wasn't there an agreement somewhere to only discuss movies from the post WWI period?

-A
Ashock,Apr 30 2005, 07:58 PM Wrote:Ok, wasn't there an agreement somewhere to only discuss movies from the post WWI period?
-A
[right][snapback]75838[/snapback][/right]

Uh, in case you were being serious there, I believe Doc was referring to the old Batman television show (late 60s / early 70s?). Eartha Mae Kitt played the second incarnation of Catwoman, if memory serves.
[Image: 9426697EGZMV.png]
Not only was Eartha Mae Kitt Catwoman... She caused BILLIONS of kittens to die for any teenage boy watching that show.

Her outfit...

Oh my...

Her outfit caused kitten genocide.

You could see nipples! This was a huuuuuuuuuuge deal back then. A young boy usually only had the underwear section from the Sears catalog to keep him company.

The Cat Woman was a Kitten Killer... There is irony there.

I grew up in whorehouses. Saw tons of naughty bits. Completely desensitized to nudity... For the most part. But some women can still make me howl like a feral Wookie seeking a mate.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
WarLocke,Apr 30 2005, 08:18 PM Wrote:Uh, in case you were being serious there, I believe Doc was referring to the old Batman television show (late 60s / early 70s?).  Eartha Mae Kitt played the second incarnation of Catwoman, if memory serves.
[right][snapback]75850[/snapback][/right]

In case *you* were serious, I knew that.

-A
Val Kilmer is awesome and The Saint was awesome.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
You guys can keep Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman and Eartha Kitt's Catwoman to yourselves.

I was bowled over by Janeane Garafalo's character in Mystery Men, Carol. Who here cannot absolutely adore a cynical, eyeliner-wearing brunette in black, bent upon a vendetta of justice with a bowling ball possessed (figuratively and literally!) by her murdered father?

Cute. Dangerous. Necromantic. Ladies and gentlemen, I am in love.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Rhydderch Hael,May 12 2005, 09:10 PM Wrote:I was bowled over by Janeane Garafalo's character in Mystery Men, Carol.
[right][snapback]77178[/snapback][/right]

That movie was great. I should go rent it again. I haven't seen it in years.
DeeBye,May 12 2005, 05:38 PM Wrote:That movie was great.  I should go rent it again.  I haven't seen it in years.
[right][snapback]77183[/snapback][/right]
I got the DVD yesterday in the bargain section. Absolutely fell in love with the girl when she was arguing with her father in the bar. Apparently the other heroes in the team were a little disconcerted— I thought it the most natural and beautiful thing in the world: a young woman keeping an open line of communication with her father.

If I became a Mystery Man and joined the team, I'd be the Amazing Scratch— master of billiard combat. Using a mystic cue and my uncanny aim, I would turn billiard balls into deadly missiles knocked at my foes. Just give me a rack of balls, a level shooting ground, cue chalk, line-of-sight to flat bumping surfaces. No one will escape my aim. Unless they were wearing a football helmet (Evil Baron Heismann, this means you!).

Then I could team up with The Bowler and we'd live happily ever after, fighting crime. We could spend the honeymoon at Brunswick Lanes.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.