The insane Quester!
OK, so Bolty thinks I am insane. I can live with that! :w00t:

My goal is to try to make as many, if not all possible quests. In beta, I noted that I at times ran into a quest vacoum in some areas, were all available quests was a bit too high or hard for solo. This happened to me in Darkshore for example after a while. This meant I moved over to Westfall/Loch Modan to quest and level. I have now noticed that there are quite a bit more quests so that does not seem possible. I have the class and profession quests in Darkshore and there are a bunch of new ones as well, like the Red crystal and the beached creatures. So I think it is now possible to not go to other areas. However, to experience all quests, stories and areas, that makes for options. One is of course to play three different alliance chars. However, I have a feeling that this is only the case for lowish levels, and not later on. Of course this is not a probelm but still, I don't like haveing things left undone :)

My plan is thus to have my main character do all quests, even newbie quests in other areas. This have lead to a few questions. Obviously, the race quests can't all be done. Smae with profesion quests although in theory, one can switch professions to do them all. THAT would be insane in my opinion though! :wacko:

* I have looked at Allakhazam's quest info but wonder if it is considered accurate, complete and updated as needed? Can I rely on that info?

* Has anyone or some site the same info, at least the list of quests, in printable form so that one can "check" them as one complete them?

* At what level can one get a quest? It seems to me to be at 5 levels before the quest level. So a quest of level 13 can be quired at level 8. Is that correct?

* Is there anyplace that has maps were there is some sort of mark were quests can be started/found? That would be good to know were one need to travel in areas to get quests without having to read quest texts (yes, I know the site meantioned abvoe often have a link to some map with location info, I was more thinking about one map for an area with all quest locations shown, without specifying qhat quest). This would include for example palces of mobs that drop items that start quests.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:* At what level can one get a quest? It seems to me to be at 5 levels before the quest level. So a quest of level 13 can be quired at level 8. Is that correct?
[right][snapback]78044[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps the 5 level thing is a general formula applied to many quests but it isn't always the case. Off the top of my head I can think of one example. The quest "Murloc Poachers" is a level 20 quest that is attained at level 20 minimum. The quest "Selling Fish" involves drops from the same monsters and is attained at level 16 minimum (level 21 quest).

Jarulf Wrote:OK, so Bolty thinks I am insane. I can live with that!  :w00t:

I'll second that. There are a lot of quests. I wish you well in this one. ;)

Jarulf Wrote:This have lead to a few questions. Obviously, the race quests can't all be done.

This is the only one I wonder about. The last time I checked, there were no race-specific classes. Even the class specific ones were similar, if you were a different race (IE. The Alliance Priest quest, to get your first robes, around level 6 or so). But I can't think of a single race only quest. Might cut your "to-do" list down a little...or add to it greatly. ;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,May 20 2005, 06:10 AM Wrote:The last time I checked, there were no race-specific classes.
Granted, as horde this doesn't apply to the OT, but there is a quest for SM given by a Tauren that questions the Forsaken's motives in joining the Horde. This quest is not available to Forsaken players.

I haven't seen any "one race only" quests, however, unless you count the druid quests...

Edit: Also, back to the OT--I'd strongly recommend geting the Quest History mod, if you don't already have it. You will need to drop a quest temporarily, from time to time, and this will help you find it again.
<span style="color:gray">[Hellscream]
Shriek---Darkspear Hunter[62]
Chant---Forsaken Priest[70]
Yelp---Sin'dorei Blood Knight[70]<!--sizec-->
<!--/sizec-->
Mirajj,May 20 2005, 01:10 PM Wrote:This is the only one I wonder about. The last time I checked, there were no race-specific classes.

Ohh, OK, I think I meant class then. :whistling:
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I also use Thottbot, WOWWiki, and the Basin's Wowwiki.

http://www.thottbot.com/

http://wiki.theamazonbasin.com/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.wowwiki.com/Main_Page
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Fun mission - I think there are several thousand quests in all (counting both factions) so I think you have your work cut out for you even just doing the Alliance ones. :)

You'll definitely need some kind of mod to keep track of what you've done.

The task gets more complicated in the later levels because you get a lot of quests that take you all over the place. Then you have quest givers that turn up in unexpected places. For instance. Grimbooze Thunderbew in Westfall gives the "Sweet Ambar" quest chain that will take you pretty much all over the known world and back.

Other tricky quests are ones that are started by objects you find, like Myzrael quest line in Arathi.

Until you reach 40 I'd recommend getting a speed increase on your boots because you're going to be doing a *lot* of running. I'd go with a mage for this project simply because being able to teleport to the capitals will save you a lot of time getting places (you can set your heartstone to the out of the way locations).

Chris
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 12:16 PM Wrote:OK, so Bolty thinks I am insane. I can live with that!&nbsp; :w00t:

My goal is to try to make as many, if not all possible quests. [...]

That's the spirit! Finally some typical lurker post again.

Okay, I'm just kidding.

Anyway, back to the topic. I noticed that sometimes quest givers would simply disappear! Or do not give quests for everyone. For example, I got quite attached to leveling dwarves. I can almost do the quests for Coldridge Valley blindfolded.

But the first time I created a gnome warrior and was going to start out, Sten Stoutarm for Dwarven Outfitters vanished before my eyes! I don't know if it was because I was a gnome or because I was a warrior...

On another note, how about doing a character who does not run ever?

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:* I have looked at Allakhazam's quest info but wonder if it is considered accurate, complete and updated as needed? Can I rely on that info?
For the most part. I use Allakhazam's as my reference as well, using Thottbot for location data. There is one large caveat - there is NO site that I am aware of that has all the prerequisite information correct. You will have to figure some of that out as you go.
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:* Has anyone or some site the same info, at least the list of quests, in printable form so that one can "check" them as one complete them?
Because of the complexity, this is almost a practical impossibility.
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:* At what level can one get a quest? It seems to me to be at 5 levels before the quest level. So a quest of level 13 can be quired at level 8. Is that correct?
This is quest dependent, but the general rule seems to be "if a mob of that level were orange to you, it's available". Similarly, if a mob of that level would be gray to you, the exclamation point disappears over the quest giver's head. This is not an absolute number, since what is orange/gray changes as you level.
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 03:16 AM Wrote:* Is there anyplace that has maps were there is some sort of mark were quests can be started/found? That would be good to know were one need to travel in areas to get quests without having to read quest texts (yes, I know the site meantioned abvoe often have a link to some map with location info, I was more thinking about one map for an area with all quest locations shown, without specifying qhat quest). This would include for example palces of mobs that drop items that start quests.
Thottbot has maps that show drop locations. Search on either the quest or the person/object you're looking for.

That said, I have to say that I tried this. It seems like a great idea, but quickly becomes pretty stupid. You rapidly outlevel so many quests in this game. At first 1/3 of your time will be wasted killing mobs that give you no experience points to do quests that give you a couple hundred experience points. As you get into your twenties, this turns into more than 1/2 your time. All this time spent quickly feels wasted.

This is the exact reason, I started my first alt. If you have 3 characters, you can do all of the quests in the game with at least one of them and will be able to get to all the quests while they're still green. This is a much better solution, in my book, and lets you get more of the professional quests and the class quests as well. Ultimately, this is the reason I ended up making a character of each class.
Arnulf,May 20 2005, 12:26 PM Wrote:But the first time I created a gnome warrior and was going to start out, Sten Stoutarm for Dwarven Outfitters vanished before my eyes!&nbsp; I don't know if it was because I was a gnome or because I was a warrior...
[right][snapback]78087[/snapback][/right]
Neither one. One of the patches a while ago just made him really buggy. At release I had no troubles with him gnome or dwarf, but then fairly recently, he just decides he needs a vacation every now and then. It's a known issue. Wanna start a pool about when he'll get fixed? ;)
Intolerant monkey.
If you're actually planning to do all quests, I have a personal wish:

Could you please collect all story-related information from the quests, and write down the complete WOW story in an understandable fashion? For example, what are the roles of all the smaller parties like the Scarlet Crusade, the Burning Blade, the Dalaran etc etc, and what are they planning? What is the meaning of all the strange corruptions and mystical forces the quest givers are talking about? What can we expect in the future? Imagine you should write the whole current story of WOW as a paperback book, that's what I would like to read :)

"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Jarulf,May 20 2005, 11:16 AM Wrote:OK, so Bolty thinks I am insane. I can live with that!&nbsp; :w00t:

My goal is to try to make as many, if not all possible quests.

Best of luck

I'd suggest you do it with a human. Quests are the main source of Reputation and if you stack the Human racial bonus with doing all the quests you should break all records for the highest ever Reputation in WoW

Always nice to achieve something unique

Btw reputation awards are less once the quest greys

With my new Warrior I'm between Silverpine and the Barrens. I do all the green quests in one place, then go to the other and do all the green quests there, turning some of the first places quests to green as I level
Shriek,May 20 2005, 07:50 AM Wrote:Granted, as horde this doesn't apply to the OT, but there is a quest for SM given by a Tauren that questions the Forsaken's motives in joining the Horde.&nbsp; This quest is not available to Forsaken players.

I haven't seen any "one race only" quests, however, unless you count the druid quests...

There's also an undead-only quest that one can get in a tower in Duskwood right on the border of Deadwind Pass that leads to the Swamp of Sorrows. Apparently, the undead there are spying on the orcs and the orcs have captured an informant. The quest is to get materials for a "truth elixir" to get the informant to talk. Of course, it's really poison, because the undead don't want their real motivations discovered. I wish there were more intra-faction intrigues like this going on in the Horde side. I've been quite jealous of all the fun storylines involving intrafaction intrigues that Alliance players get to experience.
MongoJerry,May 21 2005, 01:23 AM Wrote:There's also an undead-only quest that one can get in a tower in Duskwood right on the border of Deadwind Pass that leads to the Swamp of Sorrows.&nbsp; Apparently, the undead there are spying on the orcs and the orcs have captured an informant.&nbsp; The quest is to get materials for a "truth elixir" to get the informant to talk.&nbsp; Of course, it's really poison, because the undead don't want their real motivations discovered.&nbsp; I wish there were more intra-faction intrigues like this going on in the Horde side.&nbsp; I've been quite jealous of all the fun storylines involving intrafaction intrigues that Alliance players get to experience.
[right][snapback]78133[/snapback][/right]
I believe "Nothing but the Truth" is available to all Horde players, although why'd anyone would want to do this borked quest before the next patch is beyond me.
russ,May 20 2005, 07:46 PM Wrote:I believe "Nothing but the Truth" is available to all Horde players, although why'd anyone would want to do this borked quest before the next patch is beyond me.

Oh? I hadn't done it since beta and come to think of it, I don't even remember what happened then. What's wrong with it currently? Also, are you sure it's all-Horde? I was pretty certain that it was undead-only at least at some point.
savaughn,May 20 2005, 06:44 PM Wrote:That said, I have to say that I tried this.&nbsp; It seems like a great idea, but quickly becomes pretty stupid.&nbsp; You rapidly outlevel so many quests in this game.&nbsp; At first 1/3 of your time will be wasted killing mobs that give you no experience points to do quests that give you a couple hundred experience points.&nbsp; As you get into your twenties, this turns into more than 1/2 your time.&nbsp; All this time spent quickly feels wasted.

This is the exact reason, I started my first alt.&nbsp; If you have 3 characters, you can do all of the quests in the game with at least one of them and will be able to get to all the quests while they're still green.&nbsp; This is a much better solution, in my book, and lets you get more of the professional quests and the class quests as well.&nbsp; Ultimately, this is the reason I ended up making a character of each class.
[right][snapback]78089[/snapback][/right]

I don't mind running arround doing grey quests ever now and then, besides, one can usually do them pretty quick.

Icebird,May 20 2005, 04:18 PM Wrote:Until you reach 40 I'd recommend getting a speed increase on your boots because you're going to be doing a *lot* of running. I'd go with a mage for this project simply because being able to teleport to the capitals will save you a lot of time getting places (you can set your heartstone to the out of the way locations).

Since I am a druid, I believe I am quicker in cat for as well though, right? Not sure if I am THAT quick though.

Brista,May 20 2005, 10:44 PM Wrote:I'd suggest you do it with a human. Quests are the main source of Reputation and if you stack the Human racial bonus with doing all the quests you should break all records for the highest ever Reputation in WoW

I have allready gone with the Night Elf though. So that will have to do! For the Horde, I will play an Undead Priest by the way.

nobbie,May 20 2005, 10:12 PM Wrote:Could you please collect all story-related information from the quests, and write down the complete WOW story in an understandable fashion? For example, what are the roles of all the smaller parties like the Scarlet Crusade, the Burning Blade, the Dalaran etc etc, and what are they planning? What is the meaning of all the strange corruptions and mystical forces the quest givers are talking about? What can we expect in the future? Imagine you should write the whole current story of WOW as a paperback book, that's what I would like to read :)
[right][snapback]78112[/snapback][/right]

I have not taken notes so far (NE at arround level 16 now), but can perhaps do it. Not sure any mod actually save the quest text though, I guess one can always take a screan shot of the quest text as one do the quests.

Icebird,May 20 2005, 04:18 PM Wrote:You'll definitely need some kind of mod to keep track of what you've done.

The task gets more complicated in the later levels because you get a lot of quests that take you all over the place. Then you have quest givers that turn up in unexpected places. For instance. Grimbooze Thunderbew in Westfall gives the "Sweet Ambar" quest chain that will take you pretty much all over the known world and back.

Other tricky quests are ones that are started by objects you find, like Myzrael quest line in Arathi.

I installed QuestHistory right from the start, it keeps a list of the ones I have done which is good. Not sure how it handle different characters or if it just lunp them all together into one big list though.

The souvenir quest (or whatever it was called) was not so bad, did it in beta and I was sent all arround anyway. Plus I like to explore and get as many flight paths as early as possible.

As for quests from random items, sure. I recall one for a treasure hunt in Westfall that one got of a bottle killing Murlocs. I guess I just have to kill many Murlocs there then :)

I have allready "missed" two supposed quests in teldrasil, one is from an item of a named monster (the dark heart or something). I recall doing it in beta so I think you always get the item, but perhaps the monster is not always there. I simply forgot looking for it. There is supposedly also a quest called "Mist" or something were one have to escprt someone, didn't see it.

Otherwise I am so far on track!!

Thanks to all others of you for input so far.

MongoJerry,May 21 2005, 01:23 AM Wrote:I wish there were more intra-faction intrigues like this going on in the Horde side.[right][snapback]78133[/snapback][/right]

On that subject, it seems that the undead cannot do the Compendium of the Fallen Scarlet Monastery quest, on account of it being about spying on them. ;-)
You don't know what you're talking about.
Jarulf,May 21 2005, 09:34 AM Wrote:Otherwise I am so far on track!!
Thanks to all others of you for input so far.
[right][snapback]78156[/snapback][/right]

One small annotation: some quests are different for the four races. For instance in Darkshore there is the quest for reading two tablets in the ruins of Ameth'aran. (I hope this is correct spelling?) As Nightelf you can actually read the tablets, as dwarves we couldn't read it! :D But the quest was completed regardless. I later went back as a Nightelf just so that I could read and understand the tablets...

I love the sense of detail Blizzard sometimes gives.

-Arnulf
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Arnulf,May 21 2005, 04:55 AM Wrote:One small annotation: some quests are different for the four races. For instance in Darkshore there is the quest for reading two tablets in the ruins of Ameth'aran. (I hope this is correct spelling?) As Nightelf you can actually read the tablets, as dwarves we couldn't read it! :D But the quest was completed regardless. I later went back as a Nightelf just so that I could read and understand the tablets...

I love the sense of detail Blizzard sometimes gives.

-Arnulf
[right][snapback]78162[/snapback][/right]

Of course, you can't actually read those as a human, but, strangely enough, my troll warrior could read Prospector Khazgorm's journal from Bael Modan just fine. Hmm. :shuriken:
--Mav
Jarulf,May 21 2005, 12:34 AM Wrote:I don't mind running arround doing grey quests ever now and then, besides, one can usually do them pretty quick.
[right][snapback]78156[/snapback][/right]
Jarulf, I think you kind of missed my point. It ends up not being every now and then. I was spending more time doing gray quests than green ones. That includes the fact that the gray mobs are quick to kill. Let me give you some specific Alliance scenarios.

Doing all of the quests in Darkshore will take you from level 14-level 19 fairly easily. Darkshore is a great area to quest in because the quests grade up very smoothly in difficulty, making it easy to organize your quests and they stack very nicely. Howevery, during this time, you will have turned half the quests in Westfall and Loch Modan gray. Doing the quests in Lakeshire will turn all of them gray. There's actually even MORE quests to do in your 20's, so this gets even worse.

By the time you get to your 30's you can level in the following areas:
- Shimmering flats, Hillsbrad, Alterac, Arathi Highlands, Badlands, Swamp of Sorrows, Dustwallow Marsh, Stranglethorn Vale, Ashenvale, Desolace, Duskwood, Thousand Needles, Wetlands

And that's not including the instances or the one off quests that take you places like the Barrens or Silverpine. If you were just straight leveling through your 30's it might take you a day of game time to get through them. If you set out to do every single level 30 quest, I'm guessing it's going to be much closer to six days of game time to get them done. I don't want to bludgeon this point to death, but doing gray quests is not going to be "every now and again" - it's going to be the vast a majority of time you spend gaming.