PvE vs RP and some musings.
So y'all probably know my prurple priest on Stormrage from my posts if you don't know her in game. I haven't played her as much recently, mainly because I've hopped over to an RP server (Feathermoon) with my RL friends, and have been busy levelling an undead mage. The differences between the two servers/two factions are night and day. That being said, I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts on the subject.

RP has, over Yva's 44 levels, proven to be a much more enjoyable crowd (crowd as in general population, not as in friends). I don't have to turn off general chat because, for the most part, general chat is quiet. This is really really REALLY nice, folks. None of the OMG I PWN U, LOLLOL 11111!!!111111!!!! stuff that drives me mental in Ironforge on SR. There is very little ignorant shouting, very little slandering "_______ is a NINJA", and very little spamming in trade channels.

It's blissfully quiet.

I've given it some thought as to why that might be the case. The RP angle of it is probably the most prominent reason. People are taking their 'characters' much more seriously and - at least on Feathermoon - would be chided for their blatant disregard of their peers' roleplaying. Not to say that everyone is always "Thou art" and "M'lady" all the time; they're not, but they're quieter and more reserved because there's a social expectation upon them. You don't get that on PvE.

I hate to say it, but the RP police over there make solo play incredibly fun. No dumba$$es for the win.

It also may be because I'm playing horde. We've all read the posts on the forums about how horde HAD to get better because of the serious balance issues (numbers-wise) on most servers, and I'm starting to believe them. I've yet to group with someone that has made me want to bash my head off of my screen. Sure, there's the exception to every rule, but I haven't met one yet, and figure that I'm 3/4 of my way through levelling. That's a long time to not have any gripes. Especially with someone as opinionated as me.

From what I've been told, statistically, rp servers attract an older crowd. A lot of the players get home from their day jobs, power level a few hours a night, and then log off. That being said, they have less time to accomplish more, and as such, take their playtime more seriously, and expect a certain level of skill from their peers.

My overall impressions? People are polite, people are generous (I got into a phenomenal guild), and they seem genuinely respectful of the others around them. I'm not proclaiming Feathermoon as the end all and be all - there are still ninja looters, there are still people who will screw others over - I'm just saying that I'm seeing it exponentially LESS than I was on Stormrage. Do I realize there are less players horde side than alliance side so yeah, there would OBVIOUSLY be less jerks? Yes. But I'm telling you, ratio-wise, that stuff just doesn't happen as much.

So there you go. Those are my thoughts. I like the rp server better. Is it because I'm horde on FM? Maybe. Is it because I've gone rp? . . . I think that's the more likely answer. Maybe I just got lucky and got involved on THAT good of a situation, I don't know.

So what does this rant really boil down to?

Sometimes, it's hard to actually come to Stormrage knowing what I'm in for. The thing that keeps me there is the people I've come to know. Lurkers, Carpe Aurum, and friends are spectacular, and have made it so that I can't let Griz go. Do I see her getting put on the back burner at some point? Honestly, yes. The quality of my play time is greater over on Feathermoon because the general population is so much more tolerable. But the friends I've made have assured that the purple priest will never be permanently put away, even if she's a little dusty from time to time.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share. Not sure what anyone can do with them or if you even care, but there you go.
It's good to read something on RP. I have looked at it as the next viable step in my game experience, and I like what i hear so far.

First i gotta get 60 on SR though... ^_-

-Garrin
Garrin

<span style="color:blue">Garrin - Lvl 60 Human Paladin - Stormrage <Lurkers>
Gasan - Lvl 14 Dwarf Priest - Stormrage <Lurkers>
Bladewhisper - Lvl 60 Rogue - Stormrage <Carpe Aurum>
<span style="color:red">Garrin - Lvl 25 Orc Warlock - Dethecus <Frost Wolves Legion>
Tigarius - Lvl 14 Tauren Warrior - Dethecus
Garrin - Lvl 13 Tauren Druid - Thunderhorn
I'm glad you found your bliss.
Me and my friends have been on a RP (non-PvP) server since day one because we saw all the BS coming, in PvP as well as in regular PvE. We've never regretted that decision until today, and NO, we won't play on/hop over to a PvP-RP server type either once they become available because we - unlike Blizzard - don't trust in the intelligence and respect of most PvP players.
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
I recently started playing WoW (first time since the beta), about a month ago. When I heard I had a choice about PvP, PvE and RP servers when signing up, I thought to myself -- "RP? 'Whaddat'?"

When I found out that RP was Role Playing, it was hands-down my server-type of choice. I didn't look to where the Lurkers would be, I didn't choose a server with low population; I chose an RP server, close to my timezone. I do not regret my decision, despite it cutting me off from the Lurkers (a crowd that I knew would be good to play with, courteous, and civil).

My decision to start off RP was good for my play experience. I've thoroughly enjoyed the PvE, grouped with good, friendly players, and did not have to suffer through the horrible general chat and idiocy of other "regular" servers, as you've described.

Recently, however, I decided to give a PvP server a try. My RL friends that I play with had a PvP craving, so we decided to give the Horde a try on a server. I suggested Tichondrius, since I knew there would be some Lurkers around. After about 8-10 hours of play time, I've become incredibly sour to the server. Once I reached Ogrimmar, that was that. I don't ever want to go back. My one friend is enamoured with PvP so much that he is willing to forgive the incredible rudeness and absurdity that goes on there. I was only playing on that server as a break from my main characters on my humble RP server anyway...

Having started off on an RP server (Scarlet Crusade) seems to really have spoiled me when it comes to that sense of good community. The people I see in Ironforge are people I'm getting to recognize and even know, and the vast majority are decent people that would never /yell out "LOL N00B PWND j00" after a duel or some such. Even when PvPing against the horde, its for the most part civil.

To give you an idea of the difference between the servers, on Scarlet Crusade, when starting, I was undisturbed in the noob zones, playing with other characters with decent character names. Whenever I was in a pick-up party for an instance, the players were generous and understanding; need before greed is common sense (for the most part). To contrast that, when I started a character on Tichondrius, I saw many character names like, "MoomooX" and "Stinkles" or something like that. I'm soloing the Orc newb zone and a level 4 Shaman /fart'd on me constantly. So I made Tauren Druid. Immediately, there was a level 60 Gnome Warrior griefing, clearly making some "moo" remarks. I assume it was "moo" since the translated common was three letters. Soon after, my level 1 undead RL friend was getting griefed by a 60 Night Elf Warrior. What's with the 60's on that server? Nothing beter to do?! It could just have a been a bad stretch, where the jerk 60's decided to mess around for a while, but that's not all. It just seems like there's a lot of butchering of the English language there. Lots of "lol"s and "pwn"ing and "ur a newb"s. "Ur" is the worst... Who doesn't have time to properly spell it -- it's two characters more, "YOUR"! GOOD LORD. Typos are one thing, but come on. Anyway, I digress...

I'm lending my play experience as a bit of reinforcement to your play experiences. The RP server I'm on is quite nice. Some people say PvE = carebear server. I say, RP = jerkless (or as close as you're going to get). I want to play on a server where people don't act like 12 year olds. That's the whole point of Role Playing. Looks like, for the most part of course, I got it on Scarlet Crusade.

I'm thinking that I'll just abandon my characters on Tichondrious and start a fresh horde character on a PvP-RP server when that's ready (that should satisfy my friends and mine's cravings for PvP action).

"Yay! We did it!"
"Who are you?"
"Um, uh... just ... a guy." *flee*
Hillary,Jun 23 2005, 02:58 PM Wrote:I've hopped over to an RP server (Feathermoon) with my RL friends

Reading that actually made me giggle a bit, because I hopped servers to get *away* from the guys at work. In my project team alone, there's about 10 guys + their wives/GFs playing WoW as horde on Killrog. I still hop back on their server every now and then, but I just don't want to spend all my work time and all my play time with the same people.

p.s. - Because I play Alliance now on a different server, my nicknam is "The Traitor"
Interestingly, the above comments about RP vs PvE vs PvP have led me to take a look back on my play experience.

When I first started playing WoW I went to RP specifically to avoid the types of juvenile behavior that plagued my D2 experience. I really really enjoyed the quiet soloing on an RP server and brought several characters into the upper 30s...

And then I read an article describing the merits of a PvP server. The description posed the idea of playing the game *not* such that you *would* PvP, but such you *could*. Quests requiring collecting or killing in contested areas could be settled by more than 'racing to tag the monster'. Now you could attack the offending player. Mines and herbs could be defended in similar manner.

My first PvP character (who will hit 60 tonight) was an Undead Priest, chosen specifically because I knew it would compel me to group (Disc/Holy) and that the skill set would be even more desirable in the more dangerous environs. I chose the lowest population server as I wanted to have the experience but not be plagued by it. I have yet to enter a battleground and have little interest, and I spent the first 40-50 levels /bow-ing or /salute-ing when I encountered the enemy Alliance. With only a very small number of bad experiences under my belt, I have found the experience to be far more enjoyable and far more interesting than RP.

People group together for defense even when 'effectively soloing'. Characters help out others and warn of incoming alliance. The server has the sense of community. None of annoying chatter of PvE and none of the silence of RP. I would hate the idea of being at a 2:1 disadvantage on a high population server, but as it is Stonemaul is about 1.6:1 with, even now, one of the lowest populations.

I highly recommend the experience to others. One of the most enjoyable nights for me was farming Deadwood Furbolgs in northern Felwood at lvl 59 for reputation. Over the course of the session, I partied up with several other Horde who came and went through the area for similar reasons, and constantly looked over my shoulder for the Alliance that might come to poach my kills (or my hide). There were several pitched battles between myself and other lvl 58+ who wanted to kill the 25 rep boss and we fought for King of the Hill. I would have to keep one eye on my target and the other on the dead bodies of the Alliance around the lake. When a body vanished I knew to back away, recharge my batteries and go in search. I never chase down anyone that runs (unless they attacked me) and I only attack in combat those that have either done the same to me or are clearly after my kill.

I still have not gone past 'Scout' and I don't expect to as I rack up only about 10 kills per week.

Overall, the addition of the *option* to PvP has greatly enhanced my gaming experience. It is akin to playing Myst with the lights off and the volume turned up alone at night versus playing it at a crowded cybercafe.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. What has your experience been like.

-Kersh

Stonemaul: Dehimen lvl 59+ Priest
and many more.
kershner,Jun 30 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:Quests requiring collecting or killing in contested areas could be settled by more than 'racing to tag the monster'.&nbsp; Now you could attack the offending player.&nbsp; Mines and herbs could be defended in similar manner.
[right][snapback]82085[/snapback][/right]

Of course, the problem with this theory is that more often than not, you can't attack the offending player -- because they're in your faction.
Darian Redwin - just some dude now
JustAGuy,Jun 26 2005, 07:19 PM Wrote:Recently, however, I decided to give a PvP server a try. My RL friends that I play with had a PvP craving, so we decided to give the Horde a try on a server. I suggested Tichondrius, since I knew there would be some Lurkers around. After about 8-10 hours of play time, I've become incredibly sour to the server.
[right][snapback]81719[/snapback][/right]

I recently played for some time on Tich also. I have a level 18 shaman (who I've stopped playing because my timing just hasn't worked out to run RFC yet and I don't want to level past it too far) and a level 12 shaman that I've been playing along with bonemage occasionally.

My experience has been quite different. But I haven't played at all on a RP server. The only poor experience I've had on Tich was being annoyed by a 12 year old (and yes he really was 12 and said so himself) who kept wanting me to show him everything and help him do everything. I humored him as far as I could and then said sayonara.

That said, on November 23rd with my first character I left general chat on Doomhammer (a PvE server). Since then I've not been in general on any server with any character. So I may be insulated to a large degree from what people are saying.
There are often a few people doing dumb things like dancing on the mailbox and yelling, but /ignore is easy to use.

Big differences between Doomhammer (which as a launch server has a pretty decent population) and Tichondrius? Tich has far more "uber" players on it. The trade channel in Orgrimmar is full of purple items. The gear that the average player is wearing is much better.

Having not tried any pickup instance runs yet there I can't speak to that, but I have not seen things to be that much different than a PvE server with respect to the maturity of the players. Guess RP is a different kettle of tea than either.

kershner,Jun 30 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:...

Overall, the addition of the *option* to PvP has greatly enhanced my gaming experience.&nbsp; It is akin to playing Myst with the lights off and the volume turned up alone at night versus playing it at a crowded cybercafe.

Thoughts and comments are welcome.&nbsp; What has your experience been like.

-Kersh

Stonemaul:&nbsp; Dehimen lvl 59+ Priest
and many more.
[right][snapback]82085[/snapback][/right]

Your whole post is what drew me to PvP. Being in a largely tight knit crowd helps out a lot. People watch each other's backs because it is much more needed, group because it's more needed, and generally work together because the world on a PvP server has a good deal of unpredictable danger. I'll admit there are a good deal of morons - those that are thin skinned would do well to go to a PvE or RP server, as many will try to taunt you into an unwinnable fight. Then again, that happens in PvE servers too... asshats are everywhere, and I'll just take the gankers on a PvP server and the camraderie that brings over the taunters on a PvE server. Pick your poison, really, but I'll pick the one that makes you stronger if it doesn't kill you *shrug*.

I'm rambling. I should have said 'I agree' and left it at that.

I tried playing a bit on Shadow Council, and can safely say that if I could reroll, it'd be on an RP server, if I could get one with PvP. RP can have a lot of richness if you get a group that goes for it. My offline friends (well, the ones that are really my friends) make a good RP crowd, largely, and it's a fun experience... sometimes hard to manage to keep a consistant character, but very fun.
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon
I briefly poked my head onto a RP server once. I made a female character for some reason (I think about 25% of my chars are female), and a whole pile of 'hats decided that RP meant coming on to me. Hopefully it gets better outside of the n00b areas, but I was scarred enough to move that char to a PvE (where I can be twinked by a RL friend).

It might have been that high population of 'hats was a result of the terrible 20 being down, I think that was my reason for rerolling.
oldmandennis,Jul 1 2005, 07:04 AM Wrote:I briefly poked my head onto a RP server once.&nbsp; I made a female character for some reason (I think about 25% of my chars are female), and a whole pile of 'hats decided that RP meant coming on to me.&nbsp; Hopefully it gets better outside of the n00b areas, but I was scarred enough to move that char to a PvE (where I can be twinked by a RL friend).&nbsp;

It might have been that high population of 'hats was a result of the terrible 20 being down, I think that was my reason for rerolling.
[right][snapback]82156[/snapback][/right]
There are plenty of the 'hats on the PvE server in regards to hitting on female characters. Tal's characters have been hit on something like three times the entire time he's been playing. I can't go a play session without getting some kind of 'hat whisper/emote/comment on any of my characters unless I just hide out in instances or just avoid all other characters. My point is that it's not just limited to the RP server you tried. I did get a little bit less of it on Terenas though. It's one of the things I really dislike about WoW.
Intolerant monkey.
If I'm in a trollish mood, I explain to them that 99% of female toons are played by male players, imply that only a noob would be unaware of this, try to trap them into admitting they were fully aware of this already and then pounce triumphantly on their admission of homosexuality.

No idea if it deters them from hitting on people in general but it sure deters them from hitting on me again
Treesh,Jul 1 2005, 04:22 AM Wrote:My point is that it's not just limited to the RP server you tried.&nbsp; I did get a little bit less of it on Terenas though.&nbsp;
[right][snapback]82158[/snapback][/right]

Well, on Shadowsong(PvE), I don't think I've been hit on yet in 13 levels. On Kel'thuzud, I have a lvl 20 priestess, and haven't gotten any attention I couldn't ascribe to being a priestess. I also have a female mule, no hits. It's never been as bad as it was on Cenarion Circle, but like I said the terrible 20 were down, and I think the crowd in the n00b areas were feeling goofy because of it.
oldmandennis,Jul 1 2005, 09:00 AM Wrote:Well, on Shadowsong(PvE), I don't think I've been hit on yet in 13 levels.&nbsp; On Kel'thuzud, I have a lvl 20 priestess, and haven't gotten any attention I couldn't ascribe to being a priestess.&nbsp; I also have a female mule, no hits.&nbsp; It's never been as bad as it was on Cenarion Circle, but like I said the terrible 20 were down, and I think the crowd in the n00b areas were feeling goofy because of it.
[right][snapback]82168[/snapback][/right]
I still consider you lucky. On Stormrage (PvE), it's almost every play session unless I avoid towns completely, stay in instances and/or just avoid all strangers. While watching duels outside of Ironforge, my dwarf got measured up for proper head height for oral sex. My night elves, despite no dancing, no flirts, no jokes and trying hard to dress tastefully, get whispered and hit on when other NE's standing right next to me don't get a whisper. The gnomes generally get /spit on and the oral sex comments too in addition to every rude thing people can think of. My one human doesn't get too many comments, but she also hasn't been played lately. Consider yourself darned lucky you aren't harrassed every play session on your servers.
Intolerant monkey.
I've been playing on Feathermoon since February, and in all her 54 levels, Davien has only been hit on once, by a kid who was 15 and was quickly shut down. Actually, more often than not, people assume a male player behind my little mage. I've had people say "Thanks, bro" or the like in party chat. Sometimes I correct them, sometimes I don't. Depends on whether or not I think I'll group with them again, or whether or not I think it will change their playing.

*shrugs* Maybe it's the guild tabard. Noxilite is pretty well-respected for a small-ish guild. But I didn't join until I was around level 24, and didn't have any creepy people approach me before that.

Then, last week, I was waiting for a zeppelin back to Durotar as my little troll mage alt (level 10-ish at the time) and got a/s/l'ed for the first time ever. The player was around the same level, and named...McFlyy. Yeah, *he* belongs on an RP server...

I think it sort of falls off after the 20s, at least on the RP servers. If you stick with a character that long, chances are you're actually serious about playing (with notable exceptions). And as your character grows up, he/she meets more people who are serious about playing the game and not out for hawt cyb0r.

(I should note that I also don't remember poor, neglected Threnn getting hit on either, but it's Stormrage - most of the Lurkers live there; you don't need me to tell you how it is. :) )
oldmandennis,Jul 1 2005, 08:04 AM Wrote:I briefly poked my head onto a RP server once.&nbsp; I made a female character for some reason (I think about 25% of my chars are female), and a whole pile of 'hats decided that RP meant coming on to me.&nbsp; Hopefully it gets better outside of the n00b areas, but I was scarred enough to move that char to a PvE (where I can be twinked by a RL friend).&nbsp;

[right][snapback]82156[/snapback][/right]

In my experience, there is a subclass of RPers that think RP means RPing hooking up, or RPing relationships and marriage. It's always been this way, since way back in the days when I RPed in the FFGF on AOL. I think you learn to ignore these people just like you learn to ignore the other things you don't like (like people who can't string two correctly spelled non-shortened words together on the PvE servers).

In response to the thread as a whole, I prefer RP servers. I agree that the population is generally more mature. You've all seen me rave about the Cenarion Circle Horde community before. (They're really exceptional.) I'm constantly torn when I play, because I am, really, a shy person and though I like the overall community on RP servers more, I like having a group of people that I'm familiar enough with (Lurkers) that I'm comfortable asking for help with quests, etc.
One day, the Champions of the Fierce Bunny will ride again...<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Treesh,Jul 1 2005, 09:28 AM Wrote:I still consider you lucky.&nbsp; On Stormrage (PvE), it's almost every play session unless I avoid towns completely, stay in instances and/or just avoid all strangers.&nbsp; While watching duels outside of Ironforge, my dwarf got measured up for proper head height for oral sex.&nbsp; My night elves, despite no dancing, no flirts, no jokes and trying hard to dress tastefully, get whispered and hit on when other NE's standing right next to me don't get a whisper.&nbsp; The gnomes generally get /spit on and the oral sex comments too in addition to every rude thing people can think of.&nbsp; My one human doesn't get too many comments, but she also hasn't been played lately.&nbsp; Consider yourself darned lucky you aren't harrassed every play session on your servers.
[right][snapback]82172[/snapback][/right]

Wow, Treesh, that's terrible. I think you're just somewhat unfortunate, though. After all, my two 60s are both female characters and I haven't gotten a single asshat comment yet. The only time I've ever seen one was when I was playing my male night elf druid. :unsure:
Darian,Jun 30 2005, 04:04 PM Wrote:Of course, the problem with this theory is that more often than not, you can't attack the offending player -- because they're in your faction.
[right][snapback]82096[/snapback][/right]

Maybe we could quietly dispose of them? After all, we could then just feed their carcass to the many worgs roaming the Burning Steppes. No one would never know...
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Treesh,Jul 1 2005, 10:28 AM Wrote:I still consider you lucky.&nbsp; On Stormrage (PvE), it's almost every play session unless I avoid towns completely, stay in instances and/or just avoid all strangers.&nbsp; While watching duels outside of Ironforge, my dwarf got measured up for proper head height for oral sex.&nbsp; My night elves, despite no dancing, no flirts, no jokes and trying hard to dress tastefully, get whispered and hit on when other NE's standing right next to me don't get a whisper.&nbsp; The gnomes generally get /spit on and the oral sex comments too in addition to every rude thing people can think of.&nbsp; My one human doesn't get too many comments, but she also hasn't been played lately.&nbsp; Consider yourself darned lucky you aren't harrassed every play session on your servers.
[right][snapback]82172[/snapback][/right]

That blows my mind. None of my female toons have ever been hit on.

On the other hand, my male warlock got accosted while training up in the basement of the inn in Goldshire the other night by an extremely aggressive naked human priestess...
Darian Redwin - just some dude now