Got a Thinking Problem?
Doc,Jul 8 2005, 06:36 AM Wrote:Today, I registered as a Republican.
[right][snapback]82717[/snapback][/right]

I always struggle to understand American politics because I always get the Republic and Empire mixed up.
The Republican who think they are "smart" are ussually the most naive in my experience.

You have the social conservative who dont think they are smart - they just think they are right.
Then you have the fisscak conservative. These guys think they are smart but ussually they just have a rather short term focus on their own money.

So many Republicans dont realize that haveing a MODEST social safety net makes for a much stronger economy in the LONG run makes the rich even richer. Of course such elements have to be tied in with actually having a job etc.

Dont get me wrong though I am not defending Democrats who never do anything modestly and have a history of voting for social spending to rival Europe.
Ghostiger,Jul 8 2005, 07:37 AM Wrote:The Republican who think they are "smart" are ussually the most naive  in my experience.

You have the social conservative who dont think they are smart - they just think they are right.
Then you have the fisscak conservative. These guys think they are smart but ussually they just have  a rather short term focus on their own money.
So many Republicans dont realize that haveing a MODEST social safety net makes for a much stronger economy in the LONG run makes the rich even richer. Of course such elements have to be tied in with actually having a job etc.

Dont get me wrong though I am not defending Democrats who never do anything modestly and have a history of voting for social spending to rival Europe.
[right][snapback]82827[/snapback][/right]

That's a good post there Ghostiger. Well put.

As somebody who operates a "safety net" I always see more homeless and jobless folk in Republican years than I do in Democrat years. And there are casefiles to prove that. Now, I can never say why exactly, but it happens.

I can't bitch to much though. I made more money than I would ever need in this lifetime while a Republican was in office. (Reagan) He really allowed the rich to become obcenely rich and created a lovely market condition which allowed a lot of institutions to financially own the poor for the rest of their lives in debt. (Credit cards, loans, lots of houses sold, etc)

I guess what I am trying to say is I can clearly see both sides while I stand on my lofty perch, the fence.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Jul 7 2005, 10:01 PM Wrote:Dude... Who pissed in your cornflakes?
[right][snapback]82797[/snapback][/right]

You did.

-A
Ashock,Jul 8 2005, 03:25 PM Wrote:You did.
-A
[right][snapback]82840[/snapback][/right]

That was probably a rhetorical question from Doc. The real question would be, what has gone awry in your life that compels you to react so strongly to a simple joke? Try not to just react, think about it for a while.

Signature? What do you mean?
Not really.

I have mentioned the problem here to. It has become rather accepted here to make it a given the Republicans or conservative are lacking as a default.

Its one thing to rip on people you disagree with on a substancial basis. Even make fun of them when they make a mistake.
But the LL is way past that lately. Its full of the kind of jokes that simply insult conservative for being conservatives.
Any1,Jul 8 2005, 08:46 AM Wrote:That was probably a rhetorical question from Doc.  The real question would be, what has gone awry in your life that compels you to react so strongly to a simple joke?  Try not to just react, think about it for a while.
[right][snapback]82841[/snapback][/right]

The real answer is that *nothing* "has gone awry" in my life to make me "react so strongly to a simple joke". This however is not a simple joke. I hear this type of drivel way too often (not directed at me personally, but to conservatives in general), and usually from obnoxious ignoramuses.

I have nothing against people who are obnoxious, as long as they can back it up with real knowledge. I have nothing against ignoramuses if they are relatively quiet. After all, not everyone can be bright.

However, I can not stand it when those two traits are combined in one "total package", which unfortunately happens way too often.

Oh and please, save the psychobabble for someone else.

-A
/agree with Ghost and Doc

EDIT: Not worth it. Seriously man, if all you can do is make random comment about how other people have treated you in life and justify you being an absolute dick (sorry, if that language is too harsh, I'll edit, but it sounds like what everyone else is itching to say) to us, you don't got any room to talk about being obnoxious.

Hell, I wouldn't consider the Republican party conservative anyway. Bush hasn't vetoed a single spending bill in five years. That ain't conservative, that's frickin ludicrous.

As for dual languages, eh, you ain't the only one here who knows two languages. Quite a few people here do, and most of them still type pretty damned close to flawlessly.
Cybit,Jul 8 2005, 10:40 AM Wrote:/agree with Ghost and Doc

EDIT:  Not worth it.  Seriously man, if all you can do is make random comment about how other people have treated you in life and justify you being an absolute dick (sorry, if that language is too harsh, I'll edit, but it sounds like what everyone else is itching to say) to us, you don't got any room to talk about being obnoxious.   

Hell, I wouldn't consider the Republican party conservative anyway.  Bush hasn't vetoed a single spending bill in five years.  That ain't conservative, that's frickin ludicrous. 
As for dual languages, eh, you ain't the only one here who knows two languages.  Quite a few people here do, and most of them still type pretty damned close to flawlessly.
[right][snapback]82849[/snapback][/right]

Apparently you require reading lessons, or possibly a nice dosage of Ritalin, since you either can't read or can't concentrate on the content of what you are reading.

Wasting any more time on replying to you would be just that... a waste of time.

Have a nice day.

-A
Ashock,Jul 8 2005, 12:50 PM Wrote:Apparently you require reading lessons, or possibly a nice dosage of Ritalin, since you either can't read or can't concentrate on the content of what you are reading.
Wasting any more time on replying to you would be just that... a waste of time.
Have a nice day.
-A
[right][snapback]82851[/snapback][/right]

I'm sorry, I like to reply to multiple posts of a thread when I post.

<shrug> Who thought that would be indicative of ADD?

If you aren't going to reply to me, good, leave the thread and let some of us who saw a funny joke comment on aforementioned joke, and those of us who see a potentially interesting political conversation go about it, without someone poking in with their inability to take a political joke as, well, a joke. I've seen ripping on Greens, Liberals, Democrats, Conservatives, Republicans, Libertarians, and damn well every political persuasion possible. So? I don't go spouting the evils of conservatives for ripping on liberals, and I'm not about to go spouting the evils of liberals ripping on conservatives. It's all in good fun here, so leave us alone.

Anyways, I definitely agree with Occhi and Doc, the Neo-Cons that claim to be true "conservatives" are anything but. Spending oodles of money that we don't have, making the government the biggest it has ever been, and the sheer viciousness of their attacks on anyone who dares question them definitely unnerves the hell out of me.

Cybit,Jul 8 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:I'm sorry, I like to reply to multiple posts of a thread when I post.&nbsp;

I've seen ripping on Greens, Liberals, Democrats, Conservatives, Republicans, Libertarians, and damn well every political persuasion possible.&nbsp; [right][snapback]82854[/snapback][/right]

1) That just confirms what I was suggesting about Ritalin.

2) Please provide links to 2 threads which made fun of Liberals and the fact that they are idiots on this forum. Hell, even one will do.

See, two-way bashing is ok. One-way is not.

-A
Ashock,Jul 8 2005, 01:50 PM Wrote:1) That just confirms what I was suggesting about Ritalin.
2) Please provide links to 2 threads which made fun of Liberals and the fact that they are idiots on this forum. Hell, even one will do.
See, two-way bashing is ok. One-way is not.
-A
[right][snapback]82857[/snapback][/right]

I know for a fact that I have made fun of liberals here. I have also made some snide remarks about gays, abortion, and other left end of the idiot scale issues. (And there is a right end of that same idiot scale)

And since you are giving advice about drugs, I would think some prozac or some zoloft might help you out.

Either that or a swift kick in the ass.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
It is best to remember this isnt VN.

On VN I address many people in one thread - it works well there because we all follow that convention.
Here I dont, because we use a different convention.

I must say your post left me rather confused, because I couldnt tell which of my postsyou agreed with and who you were in such disagreement with.
He is more right than you guys will admit.

Its one thing to make posts mocking conservatives on issues or even particular personalities.

Posts were the joke is simply to call them "dummies" etc how ever are rude. Such jokes belong in a truely liberal sight, where people just want to rip on enemies.

Would you guys think this thread was funny if it used the word "gay" or "muslim" in place of Republican?
Ghostiger,Jul 8 2005, 03:09 PM Wrote:He is more right than you guys will admit.

Its one thing to make posts mocking conservatives on issues or even particular personalities.

Posts were the joke is simply to call them "dummies" etc how ever are rude. Such jokes belong in a truely liberal site, where people just want to rip on enemies.
Would you guys think this thread was funny if it used the word "gay" or "muslim" in place of Republican?
[right][snapback]82873[/snapback][/right]

Well, in response to the VN thing, well, I work/have worked at VN for close to 3 years now, so, :PPPPPPP

My apologies though, the editing of my first post changed it dramatically, the reference to Ashock was edited out, and I forgot to put it back in. Let's just say the irony of Ashock complaining about how mean everyone is to conservatives, when he was the first one to start laying into people in the thread, definitely hit the wrong button. Either way, what I said definitely went beyond a lot of lines, so I edited it out.

In response to the "if it were gays/muslims" comment, if it was in a good, fun innocent spirit, I would find it just as amusing. People really, really need to loosen up. I know between Doc, Pete, and Occhi, nothing's been left sacred on these boards anyway. :P

Honestly, I'm just kinda pissed that some knee-jerk reactionary immediately pops up whining "waaah everyone attacks republicans waah waah" as soon as anyone makes a joke about republicans. Had Doc put Democrats at the end of that, I would have thought it just as amusng. The thing is, if Doc had put Democrats at the end of it, I think all of us know that Ashock's "righteous indignation against Republicans/conservatives being mischaracterized" would have mysteriously disappeared.

Basically, instead of arguing the points, is just attacking the person. I think http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/attack.htm would be appropriate, no? (In an ironic note, I got that site from someone's sig at LL)

EDIT: Took out some inflammatory language
Doc,Jul 8 2005, 07:48 AM Wrote:That's a good post there Ghostiger. Well put.

As somebody who operates a "safety net" I always see more homeless and jobless folk in Republican years than I do in Democrat years. And there are casefiles to prove that. Now, I can never say why exactly, but it happens.

I can't bitch too much though. I made more money than I would ever need in this lifetime while a Republican was in office. (Reagan) He really allowed the rich to become obcenely rich and created a lovely market condition which allowed a lot of institutions to financially own the poor for the rest of their lives in debt. (Credit cards, loans, lots of houses sold, etc)

I guess what I am trying to say is I can clearly see both sides while I stand on my lofty perch, the fence.
[right][snapback]82828[/snapback][/right]

Hrm, I've always suspected that there were more homeless and jobless folk during Republican years then Democrat years, but it's nice to know there is some actual factual basis for it.

So, what else do you see on that fence Doc? Just curious, to be honest.

<becomes cheeky/playfully sarcastic>
For instance, is the grass really greener on the other side? And which side is the other side for that matter. :D
<ends playfully sarcastic mode>
I know who you are :P
Ghostiger,Jul 8 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:He is more right than you guys will admit.

Posts were the joke is simply to call them "dummies" etc how ever are rude. Such jokes belong in a truely liberal sight, where people just want to rip on enemies.

I have to admit that you have pleasantly surprised me by this and the other post in this thread. I might not agree with your views most of the time, but I am the first to acknowledge that even though you are usually on the other side of the fence, when you saw something that was not right, you actually opposed it. Usually, when people are against you, they will never admit the fact that you are right, even when they know you are. You were honest, and I thank you for that.

Now, that does not mean we're a couple now. Let's get that straight! ;)

-A
Ghostiger,Jul 8 2005, 08:09 PM Wrote:He is more right than you guys will admit.

I have no problem with his point of view, what concerns me is the presentation. Where is all this venom coming from?

BTW, do you really think making fun of somebody becasue of political affiliation is the same as making fun of people because of sexual orientation or religion (or race for that matter)? It's a case of "apples" and "oranges", in my opinion.
Signature? What do you mean?
Doc,Jul 8 2005, 11:58 AM Wrote:I know for a fact that I have made fun of liberals here. I have also made some snide remarks about gays, abortion, and other left end of the idiot scale issues. (And there is a right end of that same idiot scale)

And since you are giving advice about drugs, I would think some prozac or some zoloft might help you out.

Either that or a swift kick in the ass.
[right][snapback]82859[/snapback][/right]

If this were face to face and you were 20 years younger, I'd insist that we stepped outside.

Since it's neither, I'll just ignore you. I did that years ago when you were new here, and then changed my mind. Now I see that my initial reaction was right.

Oh and before I forget, and this is not really related to this thread..... Reading your posts over the years, especially those about your life, has led me to believe a long time ago that basically you are full of $@#$@#, and a total phony. Just thought I'd mention it now, since I doubt that I will be responding to your future posts.

Have a nice day.

-A