Ragnaros misplaced
To me it seems that part of the problem with the Legendary staff thread was people may have had an incorrect idea of the rate of item level increases. I think it's because Rag is really a tier 2 boss stuck at the end of a tier 1 dungeon.

Every set drops the chest at the end of its dungeon, except tier 1 and ZG(which is pretty goofy anyhow). T0 drops from the hardest of the blue dungeons, T0.5 at the end of the quest line, T2 at nef, AQ40 at C'thun. Oddly, at the end of MC you get a T2 drop, and items way more powerful then the rest of the instance.

Also oddly, Rag is widely considered to be harder then Razor, especially from a gear point of view.

If you were to move Rag to inbetween Razor and Vael, everything suddenly straightens out. MC itemization ends at its chest piece, and the weapons fit in a much tighter band. Now all the dungeons go in nice 10 level increments from UBRS(60) MC(70) BWL (80) AQ40(80) NXM (90). The "MC" legendaries now both require trips to BWL, which fits their supposed ilvl of 80. Now a ilvl 95 staff doesn't seem out of line, especially if it involves a trip to Medivah's tower (1/2 tier past NXM maybe?).

As a side note, I wouldn't trust the ilvls reported by thott on set pieces. Many of them seem sort of goofy, maybe screwed up by the set bonuses. One thing that jumps out is the chest piece of the AQ40 set is being reported as 88, more then 10 levels higher then the boots. That don't seem right.

Anyhow, just something to maybe make people think on a Monday.
Well, Naxx can have two ilvl increases:
In MC are 9 Bosses (Excluding Ragna)
In BWL are 9 Bosses (including Ragna)
In AQ40 are 9 Bosses (including 3 optional)

IIRC Naxx will have 18 Bosses.

And it is the only 40 man raid instance until next year, so it could be that Blizz counts it as two 40 man instances in terms of ilvl increase. (But I don't think that's likely.)