Most blatant Monster Rip-Off so far
The winner is "OURO" from AQ40 a.k.a. the "Chestburster" Alien Baby from "Alien" ;)

>>> IMAGE <<<
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Or the worms from Dune or the maggots in kong... really, you would run out of trees if you hung everybody with the idea of a long skinny worm like monster.
oldmandennis,Mar 1 2006, 11:02 AM Wrote:Or the worms from Dune or the maggots in kong... really, you would run out of trees if you hung everybody with the idea of a long skinny worm like monster.
[right][snapback]103261[/snapback][/right]
True, but the "Alien Chestburster" by Swiss artist and "Alien" lead H.R.Giger is so absolutely unique, that Blizz might indeed violate a copyright here (20th Centuy Fox). They may have asked Giger or Fox before, though :)

Nevertheless, blatant copying of unique art such as "Alien" indicates the lack of own creativity/originality/ideas, and may eventually result in a 08/15 game design that everyone can make. Blizz was so far know for unique, characteristic game designs despite the obvious influences from films like "Conan", "LOTR" etc. I'm wondering if the recent loss of most of the original Diablo/SC/WC staff has to do with the copying of i.e. "Ouro".
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
nobbie,Mar 1 2006, 08:46 AM Wrote:True, but the "Alien Chestburster" by Swiss artist and "Alien" lead H.R.Giger is so absolutely unique, that Blizz might indeed violate a copyright here (20th Centuy Fox). They may have asked Giger or Fox before, though :)

Nevertheless, blatant copying of unique art such as "Alien"&nbsp; indicates the lack of own creativity/originality/ideas, and may eventually result in a 08/15 game design that everyone can make. Blizz was so far know for unique, characteristic game designs despite the obvious influences from films like "Conan", "LOTR" etc. I'm wondering if the recent loss of most of the original Diablo/SC/WC staff has to do with the copying of i.e. "Ouro".
[right][snapback]103263[/snapback][/right]

I don't buy it. We're dealing with a whole instance full of *bugs*, and there's only so many ways to draw them. Ok, so it's similar. Big deal.

--Mav
nobbie,Mar 1 2006, 08:46 AM Wrote:True, but the "Alien Chestburster" by Swiss artist and "Alien" lead H.R.Giger is so absolutely unique, that Blizz might indeed violate a copyright here (20th Centuy Fox). They may have asked Giger or Fox before, though :)

Nevertheless, blatant copying of unique art such as "Alien"&nbsp; indicates the lack of own creativity/originality/ideas, and may eventually result in a 08/15 game design that everyone can make. Blizz was so far know for unique, characteristic game designs despite the obvious influences from films like "Conan", "LOTR" etc. I'm wondering if the recent loss of most of the original Diablo/SC/WC staff has to do with the copying of i.e. "Ouro".
[right][snapback]103263[/snapback][/right]

Aye. When hunters use rapid fire on the bugs I have flash backs to Starship Troopers. Only not. ;)
nobbie,Mar 1 2006, 05:25 AM Wrote:The winner is "OURO" from AQ40 a.k.a. the "Chestburster" Alien Baby from "Alien" ;)

>>> IMAGE <<<
[right][snapback]103259[/snapback][/right]

[Image: Mortgar_RUNLOL.gif]
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
nobbie,Mar 1 2006, 04:25 AM Wrote:The winner is "OURO" from AQ40 a.k.a. the "Chestburster" Alien Baby from "Alien" ;)

>>> IMAGE <<<
[right][snapback]103259[/snapback][/right]

Hardly. At best, it looks like a mutated Hydralisk. At works, a freakish centipede. Only by the slightest glance could one attribute that monster's likeness to that of a Chestburster. And even then, common sense would dictate otherwise.

Sorry, but what you see is just an over-acting imagination. Then again, what fantasy isn't? ;)
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Mar 2 2006, 02:43 AM Wrote:Sorry, but what you see is just an over-acting imagination. Then again, what fantasy isn't? ;)
If you look closely at the Ouro "outburst/attack" animation Dozer has posted above, they even copied that typical characteristic from the "Alien Chestburster" ;)
nobbie,Mar 2 2006, 12:43 AM Wrote:If you look closely at the Ouro "outburst/attack" animation Dozer has posted above, they even copied that typical characteristic from the "Alien Chestburster" ;)
[right][snapback]103360[/snapback][/right]

If it had a carapace of a strange, super-strong alloy and acid blood, I'd agree with you. Also, no autoerotic-asphyxiation-impregnation-thing going on.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Sorry, but I'm labelling this as overreaction as well. It's similar... sure, okay. But if you want to get down to it the chestbursters don't have anywhere near as many limbs, lack Ouro's hardened chitinous shell, and I've never seen a chestburster with pseudo-wing webbing under each limb.

As for the animation, maybe I've seen one of them in the movies burst like that. But every instance of it seemed to uses a different movement, positioning of the host, etc.

You could just as easily call this thing a Graboid and have an squad of NPCs led by Captain Bacon helping you fight it.
See you in Town,
-Z
Zarathustra,Mar 2 2006, 09:39 AM Wrote:Sorry, but I'm labelling this as overreaction as well.&nbsp; It's similar... sure, okay.&nbsp; But if you want to get down to it the chestbursters don't have anywhere near as many limbs, lack Ouro's hardened chitinous shell, and I've never seen a chestburster with pseudo-wing webbing under each limb.

As for the animation, maybe I've seen one of them in the movies burst like that.&nbsp; But every instance of it seemed to uses a different movement, positioning of the host, etc.

You could just as easily call this thing a Graboid and have an squad of NPCs led by Captain Bacon helping you fight it.
[right][snapback]103382[/snapback][/right]

Actually, the modified hydralisk comment made sense to me. Burrow a hydralisk and then unburrow it.

--Mav
I have to say , being a big fan of the Alien films and geiger that that does not resemble it all , sorry :P
Take care
Zarathustra,Mar 2 2006, 06:39 AM Wrote:Sorry, but I'm labelling this as overreaction as well.&nbsp; It's similar... sure, okay.&nbsp; But if you want to get down to it the chestbursters don't have anywhere near as many limbs, lack Ouro's hardened chitinous shell, and I've never seen a chestburster with pseudo-wing webbing under each limb.

As for the animation, maybe I've seen one of them in the movies burst like that.&nbsp; But every instance of it seemed to uses a different movement, positioning of the host, etc.

[right][snapback]103382[/snapback][/right]

I will follow good Captain Bacon THROUGH THE JAWS OF HELL.
Rinnhart,Mar 2 2006, 11:05 AM Wrote:I will follow good Captain Bacon THROUGH THE JAWS OF HELL.
[right][snapback]103392[/snapback][/right]

And I'll be right there with you, Rinn!
See you in Town,
-Z
Rinnhart,Mar 2 2006, 01:22 AM Wrote:If it had a carapace of a strange, super-strong alloy and acid blood, I'd agree with you. Also, no autoerotic-asphyxiation-impregnation-thing going on.
[right][snapback]103363[/snapback][/right]

Oh but he does! His skin is unnatural... thick, nearly impregnable. Its the most important part of the highest armor legs in the game :)

Of course there is the slight difference that Ouro is about 7 million times bigger then a chestbuster.
nobbie,Mar 2 2006, 01:43 AM Wrote:If you look closely at the Ouro "outburst/attack" animation Dozer has posted above, they even copied that typical characteristic from the "Alien Chestburster" ;)
[right][snapback]103360[/snapback][/right]

Just watched the movie yesterday and I don't really see any significant resemblance. Ouro looks like a centipede mixed with a grub and moves like a burrowing insect (only REALLY sped up). At best you could say they may have drawn on similar sources. It definitely doesn't look like anything Geiger actually drew.

This guy doesn't even begin to touch any of the real rip offs of the game. King kong, the Aragornath, etc. Although, in each case those have struck me as tributes rather than theft.
savaughn,Mar 3 2006, 02:38 PM Wrote:Although, in each case those have struck me as tributes rather than theft.
Aye. I just don't hope that in the future WoW doesn't get cluttered with "tributes" as most Hollywood movies today ;)
nobbie,Mar 3 2006, 09:10 AM Wrote:Aye. I just don't hope that in the future WoW doesn't get cluttered with "tributes" as most Hollywood movies today ;)
[right][snapback]103465[/snapback][/right]
It's already horribly cluttered with tributes, and most of their other games have had quite a bit of real life references too. There's really no need to get bent out of shape about any of it. If you read anything concerning beta, you would have known to expect lots of this. (General "you" used in this last sentence, not a specific "you". )
Intolerant monkey.
What, none of you have ever done the Linken's questline or... (don't recall the dwarfs name) who was dressed in red overalls and a blue shirt in Un'goro? *those* are a few of the most blatant rip-offs (well, tributes to me, but meh) that I've seen in the world.

Not that I even mind it, Linkens was the most fun I've had since grunt-smacking at level 4 and the Yeti quest from Everlook ^_^
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Treesh,Mar 3 2006, 07:21 AM Wrote:It's already horribly cluttered with tributes, and most of their other games have had quite a bit of real life references too.&nbsp; There's really no need to get bent out of shape about any of it.&nbsp; If you read anything concerning beta, you would have known to expect lots of this.&nbsp; (General "you" used in this last sentence, not a specific "you". )
[right][snapback]103466[/snapback][/right]

I like them. :(