1.10 Priest Builds
I had found Subtlely to be a bit of a waste for healing, simply because as long as one or two priests had it, you could just lay low on healing early on, then ramp it up later. MJ makes a great point in general in that if the MT dies or loses aggro to healing, it's going to come after SOME priest anyways. It just means it wont be you.

Finally in 5 man instances even if I had to spam flash heals early on and drew aggro, I'd simply fade. In that time usually the fight has settled down and the tank has it safely locked down.

I'm still undecided on my 1.10 spec. I still have 130 or so +damage in specifically shadow gear, so I may still be staying shadow. I'm probably going to try out the 30% VE and see how that works out for party healing. For all the hullabaloo about Meditation being available early on in the disc tree, I don't see it helping shadow priests too much. In my full dmg gear set, I regen about 50 mana per tick when out of the 5 second rule. So 15% regen would be 7.5 mana per tick, or the equivalent of ~17-18 mana/5 sec. That's not to say it isn't an improvement, but it might mean one extra spell every 90 secs or so. Still, I'll probably end up being specced in it, simply because I can use all the mana I can get.

I'm going to miss Focused Casting though...
Quote:I had found Subtlely to be a bit of a waste for healing, simply because as long as one or two priests had it, you could just lay low on healing early on, then ramp it up later.

No need for that. If you're worried about healing in the first few seconds, Fade straight off the bat and then cast your heals. That way, you're guaranteed not to pull aggro in the first few seconds while the tank gets his or her lock.

Snowy,Mar 28 2006, 04:05 PM Wrote:I'm still undecided on my 1.10 spec.  I still have 130 or so +damage in specifically shadow gear, so I may still be staying shadow.  I'm probably going to try out the 30% VE and see how that works out for party healing.  For all the hullabaloo about Meditation being available early on in the disc tree, I don't see it helping shadow priests too much.  In my full dmg gear set, I regen about 50 mana per tick when out of the 5 second rule.  So 15% regen would be 7.5 mana per tick, or the equivalent of ~17-18 mana/5 sec.  That's not to say it isn't an improvement, but it might mean one extra spell every 90 secs or so.  Still, I'll probably end up being specced in it, simply because I can use all the mana I can get.

Inner Focus while shadow spec'd = yummy!
MongoJerry,Mar 28 2006, 07:10 PM Wrote:Inner Focus while shadow spec'd = yummy!
[right][snapback]105713[/snapback][/right]

I ended up with 17/0/34 for now. My mana pool took a hit with no mental strength now -- running around 5300-5400 mana. However I figure the free spell cast every 3 mins, and the 15% regen from meditation will offset it to a degree.

If I wasn't raid specced as well, I could drop the -threat talents, but as it stands I'm at 33% threat reduction for shadow spells. (8% for healing) I did pick up the improved VE and the effect is noticable -- it's misleading since it says it adds 10% more, but the effective boost is 50%! It's really nice to be self-healing for anywhere from 75-85 per tick of pain or mind flay.

I suspect a specced out VE Shadow Priest will be an impressive force in the 5 man dungeons with a shaman or paladin doing the healing. The tank will have a very high level renew always on him. (80*4 = 320 dmg healed every 3 secs)
Bolty,Mar 28 2006, 06:26 PM Wrote:Cleoboltra's 1.10-release day raid-healing final build.

I like your build, I took it and made just one minor adjustment, here. I took 1 point from Silent Resolve and put it into Spiritual Healing. I'm still not 100% sure about the whole Holy Nova thing but when trying (realy hard I must say) to find a much better option for it I failed. So I granted myself this as a toy.
Its going to be one heck of a change going from shadow priest to holy raid specced but me being in a guild where 2 priests showing up to a raid is a good thing I know its going to be apriciated.

Edit:

As you might be able to see from my profile (see sig.) I'm just starting in the way of the priest and raiding in general. My guild is only just starting MC, ZG and AQ20 so I realy like all the + healing in the template.

Edit 2: Bad link..
http://ctprofiles.net/24532 <-- Bhak lvl 60 Priest
Just though I would throw out a link to a great talent calculator, that is far faster than the Blizzard one, and not swamped with lag, and updated for 1.10:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/

Here is my talent build, tuned for PvE and raiding:

http://www.wowhead.com/talent/?dxghsVVoofhtcc
All the good disc longevity talents, and all the healing talents I could get while keeping power infusion for our DPS classes (and occasionally me :) )
Yurup,Mar 29 2006, 01:13 AM Wrote:I took 1 point from Silent Resolve and put it into Spiritual Healing. I'm still not 100% sure about the whole Holy Nova thing but when trying (realy hard I must say) to find a much better option for it I failed. So I granted myself this as a toy.

I've been having fun on release day using rank 1 Holy Nova as a way to search out rogues who might be nearby. Also, one time there were about six enemies fighting around a flag in AB, so I ran in there and spammed full rank Holy Novas on them. It was fun. :D

My main problem has been figuring out my hotkeys as I have so many spells that now need to be fit onto my front hotbars. Inner Focus, Holy Nova (ranks 1 and 6), Greater Heal (ranks 3 and 5), Holy Smite, and Holy Fire. It's going to take a while to get used to the new hotkey setup.
So this may or may not be the right place to ask this, but....

With the new 3 minute cooldown on Inner Focus, I have something I'd like to do. However, some of the 1.10 UI changes might mean this is impossible.

I have 3 spells that every time I cast them, I would like to use Inner Focus if it is not in cooldown. You used to be able to do this (I didn't because of the longer cooldown before but I've heard about people who did).

Is it possible to set up such a macro? If not is it possible for me to write a mod (it's been a year since I wrote a mod, might be time to again)? Or is this just plain impossible now?

Basically, I figure Prayer of Healing, Devouring Plague, and Holy Nova rank 8 should always use up inner focus if it's available. I'll also be using it on Prayer of Fortitudes but that one I don't care about being able to do it quickly and easily.

I believe at worst I could write code that would do this on a keypress:
Code:
if inner focus is not in cooldown
&nbsp;cast inner focus
else
&nbsp;cast prayer of healing
end

Then when I want to use it, I just hit the key twice. If inner focus is still in cooldown, I'l just get some "Another action is in progress" spam. If not, I'll get inner focus and then prayer of healing.
vor_lord,Mar 29 2006, 04:38 PM Wrote:So this may or may not be the right place to ask this, but....

With the new 3 minute cooldown on Inner Focus, I have something I'd like to do.&nbsp; However, some of the 1.10 UI changes might mean this is impossible.

I have 3 spells that every time I cast them, I would like to use Inner Focus if it is not in cooldown.&nbsp; You used to be able to do this (I didn't because of the longer cooldown before but I've heard about people who did).

Is it possible to set up such a macro?&nbsp; If not is it possible for me to write a mod (it's been a year since I wrote a mod, might be time to again)?&nbsp; Or is this just plain impossible now?

Basically, I figure Prayer of Healing, Devouring Plague, and Holy Nova rank 8 should always use up inner focus if it's available.&nbsp; I'll also be using it on Prayer of Fortitudes but that one I don't care about being able to do it quickly and easily.

I believe at worst I could write code that would do this on a keypress:
Code:
if inner focus is not in cooldown
&nbsp;cast inner focus
else
&nbsp;cast prayer of healing
end

Then when I want to use it, I just hit the key twice.&nbsp; If inner focus is still in cooldown, I'l just get some "Another action is in progress" spam.&nbsp; If not, I'll get inner focus and then prayer of healing.
[right][snapback]105831[/snapback][/right]

The simplest way is to do what some rogues do:

/cast riposte
/cast sinister strike

...if riposte is available, it goes off, if not, sinister strike. It would mean having to hit the key twice, but ...
castille,Mar 29 2006, 03:02 PM Wrote:The simplest way is to do what some rogues do:

/cast riposte
/cast sinister strike

...if riposte is available, it goes off, if not, sinister strike. It would mean having to hit the key twice, but ...
[right][snapback]105839[/snapback][/right]

Huh I use this on my rogue and didn't think of it... :wacko:

Thanks, that can be at least my temporary solution.
Well, you can try the old way, just to see if it works. SpellStopCasting requires a keypress now, but it might not require a *unique* keypress:

/cast Inner Focus
/script SpellStopCasting
/cast Holy Nova

If that still works, you can do it in one keypress.

Otherwise, you can use a similar method to what castille suggested (in case his suggestion doesn't work). Download the AddOn UseFirst, which uses the first item or spell in a list that is not on cooldown. Then you can do:

/script UseFirst("Inner Focus", "Holy Nova");
MongoJerry,Mar 29 2006, 11:23 PM Wrote:My main problem has been figuring out my hotkeys as I have so many spells that now need to be fit onto my front hotbars.&nbsp; Inner Focus, Holy Nova (ranks 1 and 6), Greater Heal (ranks 3 and 5), Holy Smite, and Holy Fire.&nbsp; It's going to take a while to get used to the new hotkey setup.

Ugh, dont talk to me about changing your setup.. I came from shadow, changed to holy and everything is different. Better maybe but so different. I cant count the number of times I used a wrong heal on the MT or 'tried' to heal a monster when wanting to cast a spell. Decursive not working didn't help our guilds first attempt on Lucifron either. ;)

And lets not even talk about trying to kill stuff now. <_< Got my ass kicked by a lvl 47 npc because I could not remeber where my shield was.

Edit: horrible spelling.
http://ctprofiles.net/24532 <-- Bhak lvl 60 Priest
Xanthix,Mar 29 2006, 04:15 PM Wrote:Well, you can try the old way, just to see if it works. SpellStopCasting requires a keypress now, but it might not require a *unique* keypress:

/cast Inner Focus
/script SpellStopCasting
/cast Holy Nova

If that still works, you can do it in one keypress.

Yes, it still works. The middle line is specifically:

/script SpellStopCasting();

This lets you cast both spells simultaneously. It's possible to do this, because Inner Focus doesn't cause a global cooldown. If it's in cooldown, it's no big deal, because the game will just keep going and cast the Holy Nova anyway. You'll just get a small error message saying that the spell isn't ready yet that you can ignore.
Inner focus subthread continues.... thanks for the macro help. I was under the assumption that SpellStopCasting() required a unique keypress.

So I went to DM West last night. West is probably the place I use Prayer of Healing the most. I'm starting to think one of the hugest changes for my priest in 1.10 is the cooldown on Inner Focus. Prayer of Fortitude? Devouring Plague? Holy Nova? Prayer of Healing? IF FTW.

However I think I noticed a bug. Since I was basically hitting IF whenever I could, it seems that the listed and displayed cooldown is correct, but internally it is not. The problem I would have is that the button looked active, the mouseover had completed the countdown for the cooldown, yet it would tell me that the ability wasn't ready yet.

Seemed like 3 minutes 30 seconds or so.

Anyone else seen this? Highly annoying.

*misc observation: holy nova is just SO great to have
vor_lord,Mar 30 2006, 03:55 PM Wrote:Inner focus subthread continues.... thanks for the macro help.&nbsp; I was under the assumption that SpellStopCasting() required a unique keypress.

So I went to DM West last night.&nbsp; West is probably the place I use Prayer of Healing the most.&nbsp; I'm starting to think one of the hugest changes for my priest in 1.10 is the cooldown on Inner Focus.&nbsp; Prayer of Fortitude?&nbsp; Devouring Plague?&nbsp; Holy Nova? Prayer of Healing?&nbsp; IF FTW.

However I think I noticed a bug.&nbsp; Since I was basically hitting IF whenever I could, it seems that the listed and displayed cooldown is correct, but internally it is not.&nbsp; The problem I would have is that the button looked active, the mouseover had completed the countdown for the cooldown, yet it would tell me that the ability wasn't ready yet.

Seemed like 3 minutes 30 seconds or so.&nbsp;

Anyone else seen this?&nbsp; Highly annoying.
*misc observation:&nbsp; holy nova is just SO great to have
[right][snapback]105885[/snapback][/right]
I've noticed something similar a lot today with other spells, particularly if the cast of my previous spell was interrupted - I get "Spell not ready" when the cooldown should have finished ages ago. I assumed it was some kind of lag, although my latency was good.
Flymo,Mar 30 2006, 11:32 AM Wrote:I've noticed something similar a lot today with other spells, particularly if the cast of my previous spell was interrupted - I get "Spell not ready" when the cooldown should have finished ages ago.&nbsp; I assumed it was some kind of lag, although my latency was good.
[right][snapback]105889[/snapback][/right]

I wonder if this has to do with some code they put in for helping with chanelling spells being cancelled by a repress..
Bolty,Mar 7 2006, 03:41 PM Wrote:OMG, why no Improved Renew or Spiritual Healing?&nbsp; Well, any Priest who's been raiding for a while as a pure healer can tell you why: the points are better spent elsewhere.&nbsp; The reason for this is because these talents don't stack with +healing.&nbsp; While +damage talents will stack up with +damage gear, +healing talents don't stack with +healing gear.

So if I have +500 healing (not hard to get for a raiding healer), and my Renew heals for 1000, it will heal for 1500 without talent points.&nbsp; It will heal for 1650 with talent points - NOT 1725.&nbsp; As you get more and more +heal gear, the total percentage improvement of the +heal talents becomes less and less.
When I first read this, I thought "will not stack" meant that +healing gear and +healing skills would be mutually exclusive. But a simple test yesterday showed me, that it does work. It just seems, that +healing from gear is added on top of everything else

I invested in the holy tree for now. My priest has both the 10% healing increase plus the increase from spirit. When I cast a Renew with my mana regenerating dagger, it heals 219 every tick. When I cast Renew with a +14 healing mace instead, it heals 222 each tick. The difference is 15 not 14, but I suppose the values could be rounded up. Of course, neither weapon had a bonus to spirit.

So, could you please explain, what exactly bolty is telling me (us)? Or has there been a change in 1.10 to what he describes?

EDIT:
Meanwhile, it occured to me that the difference 14 to 15 might be 10% healing increasement factored in from skill. Which would confuse me even more, concerning bolty's statement.
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
jhartelt,Mar 31 2006, 06:37 AM Wrote:When I first read this,&nbsp; I thought "will not stack" meant that +healing gear and +healing skills would be mutually exclusive. But a simple test&nbsp; yesterday showed me, that&nbsp; it does work. It just seems, that +healing from gear is added on top of everything else

I invested in the holy tree for now. My priest has both the 10% healing increase plus the increase from spirit. When I cast a Renew with my mana regenerating dagger, it heals 219 every tick. When I cast Renew with a +14 healing mace instead, it heals 222 each tick. The difference is 15 not 14, but I suppose the values could be rounded up. Of course, neither weapon had a bonus to spirit.

So, could you please explain, what exactly bolty is telling me (us)? Or has there been a change in 1.10 to what he describes?
EDIT:
Meanwhile, it occured to me that the difference 14 to 15 might be 10% healing increasement factored in from skill. Which would confuse me even more, concerning bolty's statement.
[right][snapback]105953[/snapback][/right]

For damage spells if you have say +50 damage and a telent that increase damage by 10% you get.

Say the spell does 100 damage

(100 + 50) * 1.19 = 165 damage

For healing with the same numbers you get

(100 * 1.10) + 50 = 160 healing.

The healing talents that incease the percentage healed do not multiply the effects from gear like +damage stuff does. This makes the talents less valuable as the talent can now be thought of as simply +60 healing for greater heal and +30 healing for rejuv or whatever as opposed to just 10% more healing no matter what gear.

So if your gear is good enough you can start to look and see that, hmm since that talent point only adds +150 healing I might get more use out the points in this other talent because really since I have +450 healing is +600 healing on that spell going to allow me to be more efficient than points in this other talent. That is what he was getting at.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I think I got it now. Thanks for clearing this up for me!
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining, or testing your
code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
jhartelt,Mar 31 2006, 11:37 AM Wrote:When I first read this,&nbsp; I thought "will not stack" meant that +healing gear and +healing skills would be mutually exclusive. But a simple test&nbsp; yesterday showed me, that&nbsp; it does work. It just seems, that +healing from gear is added on top of everything else

EDIT:
[right][snapback]105953[/snapback][/right]

I didn't put any points into imp renew to be sure to never cast it if a renew from another priest is already on, as I'm almost certain all the other priests in the guild have all three points spent.

My first spec after the patch was 20/31/0, but I really didn't like the new SoR. Lightwell was a bit of fun, and I'm curious to see how it will get used. (some obvious uses in MC if you could actually get melee to remember it before 3 minutes has passed :)
So I swapped Spiritual Healing for Mental Strength, and shortcutted a few things to get my soloing abilty up without sacrificing too much healing power.

I ended up with this.

Time will tell if the loss in healing power will be made up by some more mana and more crits. Solo play has definitely improved.. Gotta love HF and HN.

Speaking of DM west, mentioned in an earlier post... We ran through it with (before I re-specced) 2 druids (one feral, one resto) and 3 priests (one disc/holy, one holy/disc, one "PvE-shadow" (-45%thr/impVE)). Renew and VE was enough for most of the healing needed, and all three priests were dps-ing most of the time, druids going bear/cat. Our shadow priest got all the innervates, and our only breaks were after HN pulls. The air elemental packs outside Immolthar were a breeze, especially since HN doesn't casuse threat. Bear charges, demo roar, 2 priests goes HN, 3rd VE, noone gets hurt :)

ugh, it's late and time for bed.

* Meshuggah hugs Bolty :)
Meshuggah,Apr 3 2006, 11:03 PM Wrote:Speaking of DM west, mentioned in an earlier post... We ran through it with (before I re-specced) 2 druids (one feral, one resto) and 3 priests (one disc/holy, one holy/disc, one "PvE-shadow" (-45%thr/impVE)). Renew and VE was enough for most of the healing needed, and all three priests were dps-ing most of the time, druids going bear/cat. Our shadow priest got all the innervates, and our only breaks were after HN pulls. The air elemental packs outside Immolthar were a breeze, especially since HN doesn't casuse threat. Bear charges, demo roar, 2 priests goes HN, 3rd VE, noone gets hurt :)[right][snapback]106158[/snapback][/right]
OMG, that sounds like so much fun. :)

I love Holy Nova, btw. Its power in AV to scare the crap out of and scatter Horde is a blast, and it almost singlehandedly prevented them from capping our final graveyard flag at the end of a six-hour long AV I was in this weekend that ended in a race.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.