World Cup Discussion Thread
Tonight I have to watch Italy vs. Ukraine.....and I don't like Italy.......very hard when you are surrounded by Italians....well I will get a nice pizza and stay in the house on my own with a few nice cold beers.

On the other hand, it is apparantly also economically very important for a country to win the WC, so in that sense I do hope Italy wins of course...this country needs some good news.

Gianluca Pessotto a former Juventus player, since one month working in a staff position in the Turin club, tried to commit suicide a few days ago and is still hospitalized and fighting for his life (I wonder what that means in such a situation). Apparantly he couldn't cope with the big responsibility he had now. Several Italian national team players are close friends of this guy, and as you can imagine are quite shocked.
Quote:Tonight I have to watch Italy vs. Ukraine.....and I don't like Italy.......very hard when you are surrounded by Italians....well I will get a nice pizza and stay in the house on my own with a few nice cold beers.
I hope it is better than the morning match. I expected a lot, but only got to see the second half.

Deutschland 1
Argentina 1

Brilliant header off a corner kick early in the second half for Argentina's goal.

At around minute 70, an even more brilliant header (cross to head pass to header) for the German goal.

A few too many dives, the officials were fooled more than once. :( A lot of good play.

And then, Lehman, the German goalkeeper, blocks two out of 4 penalty kicks.

Germany on free kicks 4-2.

A good match. The German attack seemed muted. The Argentines seemed a bit more aggresive until the last ten minutes of the match, where they looked a bit weary.

Well done by both teams. The home crowd didn't hurt the German side.

Did anyone see the first half?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Tonight I have to watch Italy vs. Ukraine.....and I don't like Italy.......very hard when you are surrounded by Italians....well I will get a nice pizza and stay in the house on my own with a few nice cold beers.

I will be very happy if Ukraine won, having been a big fan of Dynamo Kiev and Oleg Blakhin when I was a child in the old country. At the same time, if Ukraine does win, I will eat my shorts.

-A
Quote:I will be very happy if Ukraine won, having been a big fan of Dynamo Kiev and Oleg Blakhin when I was a child in the old country. At the same time, if Ukraine does win, I will eat my shorts.
-A
Italy isn't as strong a team as in some Cup years. I'd not write off Ukraine just yet.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Italy isn't as strong a team as in some Cup years. I'd not write off Ukraine just yet.

Occhi

You know, Italy is often talked about as being "not as strong as in some Cup years", so that is nothing new. OTOH, Ukraine really is not a quarter-finals quality team. At least not yet. Anyway, the winner of this game faces Germany, so it's a moot point.

-A
Quote:You know, Italy is often talked about as being "not as strong as in some Cup years", so that is nothing new. OTOH, Ukraine really is not a quarter-finals quality team. At least not yet. Anyway, the winner of this game faces Germany, so it's a moot point.
-A
Oops, I just checked. 3-0 Italy, with about 20 minutes left.

:blush:

Ashock, you were truly prescient.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:Deutschland 1
Argentina 1
[...]
A few too many dives, the officials were fooled more than once.
Yes, too many dives by both teams. I hate our team captain Michael Ballak for his theatrical talent, which he displays frequently during the normal soccer season as well. Completely unnecessary IMHO, as he's a very strong player even without dives - but then I guess Chelsea, who "bought" him (why does soccer transfer jargon always sounds like slave trading?), might have done so because he pretends to be fouled so often. :angry:

First half was scary: Argentina had a lot more ball possession, and most of the time the game happened in the German half. Argentina did pressing extremely well, which resulted in a lot of lost balls for us. Why we didn't do the same I don't know; nervousness maybe. The only really dangerous shot on a goal was made by the Germans though, so I guess the 0:0 after the first half was okay. During the first five minutes, a lot of fouls happened and tensions were rising, but the referee managed to cool down both teams nicely. Well done! Argentina's aggressions against us after the penalty shootout was lame though, and one of their players got awarded a red card already after the game, and FIFA has announced to have a closer look at the video material to see who might get fined as well.

Overall, the match had not enough shots on the goal to be a great game, but it had been extremely exciting. That Pekerman took out Riquelme so early was a big mistake IMHO, as after we scored the 1:1, Argentina lacked creative play. Good for us, though. :D

I also didn't really understand why Klinsmann took out Klose, but maybe Klose had been tired.

Quote:And then, Lehmann, the German goalkeeper, blocks two out of 4 penalty kicks.
Looks like what he had done in the champions league for Arsenal London wasn't just a coincidence. Looks like he is a real penalty killer - well done, hero of the match! That Oliver Kahn wished him luck before the penalty shootout, and that Lehmann went first to Kahn after it was a great gesture!

My wife and I watched the game downtown with our friends, sitting outside a pub. Big problem: The pub we were watching the game had a terrestrial TV receiver, while the pubs to the left and right had
cable TV. Now, terrestrial television has a 2-3 second delay in broadcasting, which was extremely annoying. Especially during the penalty shootout, people in the neighbouring pubs would cheer 2-3 seconds before we had a chance to see what happened on TV in our pub, which took away a lot of the excitement. :(Have to ask the barkeeper what kind of TV he has next time! What kind of beer a pub is serving ins't the only important thing, as it seems.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
So England is out. Horrible match in my opinion.
I quote The Sun "your country needs Roo"...

Ricardo was very impressive.
Quote:So England is out. Horrible match in my opinion.
I quote The Sun "your country needs Roo"...

Ricardo was very impressive.
England played a tough match. That red card penalty was foolish, but the rest of the team rallied.

Then, they buggered the Penalty kicks.

Portugal left the door wide open, England did not come in.

I can't believe it. Awful.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:England played a tough match. That red card penalty was foolish, but the rest of the team rallied.

Then, they buggered the Penalty kicks.

Portugal left the door wide open, England did not come in.

I can't believe it. Awful.

Occhi

Portugal was very disapointing whereas England played surprisingly well. I don't know why Rooney made such a mistake but well...

Bresil - France now, i cross my fingers:)
Quote:Bresil - France now, i cross my fingers:)

Incredible match!!!

Zidane was so good, what a player... a man? no a god.
Quote:Incredible match!!!

The French never gave up the spirit of the attack, all game long. I was surprised by the muted attack by Brazil, until the last 15. They seemed to be playing conservatively in the attack, perhaps setting up the "perfect shot" that the excellent French defense never really allowed them.

For a 1-0 match, I was very well pleased with the level of play, the general clean play, a few rough or cheap fouls, and the skill both teams showed.

*tips chapeau to the French side* Very well played. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:Incredible match!!!

Indeed! It was a pleasant surprise to see his genius resurface again, after some weak matches. He plans to end his career after the world cup, and I think he deserves to go down in style when losing against us in the final. :P

Brazil out? Good for them. That should teach 'em that a bunch of individual great players won't be enough to be a winning team. I was saddened to see Ronaldinho not playing up to his usual high standards, and found Robinho and Juninho playing okay too, but the rest? No dynamics, no will to win, nothing. Ronaldo again just stood there, not moving a bit - I have no idea why they let him even play in the bad form he is at the moment.

The situation when the French goal happened was very interesting. A free kick by Zizou, five or six French in front of the goalkeeper awaiting the shot, and...only three brazilians? Four other brazilians just stood there 5 meters behind them, watching how Henry scored the goal, undisturbed by anyone. Er...what had happened there?!?

I hope Brazil will have learned the lesson and will return better prepared to the next world cup, with a stronger will to win and not only relying on the names of their stars.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:Portugal was very disapointing whereas England played surprisingly well. I don't know why Rooney made such a mistake but well...
You are very kind to England. I had a strong sense of deja vu - vital player loses his temper, lashes out, and is sent off; England reduced to 10 men play defensively and achieve a draw; then lose on penalties. It happens every World Cup. I don't know why they don't concentrate on this situation in training instead of setpiece free kicks.
Quote:You are very kind to England. I had a strong sense of deja vu - vital player loses his temper, lashes out, and is sent off; England reduced to 10 men play defensively and achieve a draw; then lose on penalties. It happens every World Cup. I don't know why they don't concentrate on this situation in training instead of setpiece free kicks.

First, portugal should be banned from international football untill they stop with anti-football, theather and trying to let the opponent make fouls. This team is a disgrase for football, and it is exactly what Occi was talking about before (I believe it was the pre WC thread).

Second, yes France was playing very good and totally deserved to win. I'm happy it worked out like that. Usually Brazil start as favorite and everybody talks about how nice football they play. But at the moment it is getting a bit more difficult they have to start using fouls as well.....and for some reason the referees don't see those fouls to good. 4 years ago I also found germany the stronger (in the finals) but that didn't work out, now France kept cool and walked away with the win.
Quote:Usually Brazil start as favorite and everybody talks about how nice football they play. But at the moment it is getting a bit more difficult they have to start using fouls as well.....and for some reason the referees don't see those fouls to good. 4 years ago I also found germany the stronger (in the finals) but that didn't work out, now France kept cool and walked away with the win.

The reason Brazil is always the favorite is because their style of soccer (or football for all the non-American types) is pretty and fun to watch. Add to that the fact that they really *are* usually strong....

OTOH, I've never been a big fan. When I used to play semi-seriously, the most skill-wise talented player on our team was from Brazil. The guy could dribble like no one else on our team. However he was the type of player who would rather take a bad shot than to pass to a teammate who was in a better position. He'd rather look good than make the whole team look good. I'm not saying that they are all like that, but I find their game to be too individualistic for my liking. Of course their skills really are great and that I think is the reason that they've been so successful in World Cups throughout the years, despite their flaws. Their skill often makes up for the lack of teamwork. Thankfully, *often* and not always.

-A
Quote:The reason Brazil is always the favorite is because their style of soccer (or football for all the non-American types) is pretty and fun to watch. Add to that the fact that they really *are* usually strong....

OTOH, I've never been a big fan. When I used to play semi-seriously, the most skill-wise talented player on our team was from Brazil. The guy could dribble like no one else on our team. However he was the type of player who would rather take a bad shot than to pass to a teammate who was in a better position. He'd rather look good than make the whole team look good. I'm not saying that they are all like that, but I find their game to be too individualistic for my liking. Of course their skills really are great and that I think is the reason that they've been so successful in World Cups throughout the years, despite their flaws. Their skill often makes up for the lack of teamwork. Thankfully, *often* and not always.
-A
Perhaps they need a few more guys who remember Pele's leadership. There is talent all over that squad.

Part of what made Pele so brilliant was his playmaking ability. Like Michael Jordan in his playoff years, Pele made the players around him better. The best feed/assist I ever saw in a soccer match was Pele, 1970, Finals of the World Cup (Mexico City) Pele ball handling --> Pele passes right and forward without looking for his team mate --> leads him perfectly --> sprinting team mate catches the ball in perfect stride and sends a rocket into the net from just inside the penalty box.

Franz Beckenbauer was another talented play maker, based on my foggy memory of the Bundesliga games I saw as a boy.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Hi,
Indeed! It was a pleasant surprise to see his genius resurface again, after some weak matches. He plans to end his career after the world cup, and I think he deserves to go down in style when losing against us in the final. :P

Brazil out? Good for them. That should teach 'em that a bunch of individual great players won't be enough to be a winning team. I was saddened to see Ronaldinho not playing up to his usual high standards, and found Robinho and Juninho playing okay too, but the rest? No dynamics, no will to win, nothing. Ronaldo again just stood there, not moving a bit - I have no idea why they let him even play in the bad form he is at the moment.

The situation when the French goal happened was very interesting. A free kick by Zizou, five or six French in front of the goalkeeper awaiting the shot, and...only three brazilians? Four other brazilians just stood there 5 meters behind them, watching how Henry scored the goal, undisturbed by anyone. Er...what had happened there?!?
I hope Brazil will have learned the lesson and will return better prepared to the next world cup, with a stronger will to win and not only relying on the names of their stars.

-Kylearan
I am in shock. I watched the Italy Germany game and I am still stunned.

Great match, and then, it all fell apart.

Grrrrrrrr.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
So Germany is out.

The Italians clearly dominated in my opinion; lot of realism as always, very impressive defence and a quite good Buffon.

Germans played correctly but they were outclassed technicly.
The German's free kick and corner were quite deciving, not dangerous at all.

They seemed to wait for the penalty in the end whereas the Italians were still attacking... cost them the match.

I hope for a France-Italia final, but if it arrive it will probably be a bit boring match.

Still, it shows how defence is proeminent in modern football.
Hi,

Quote:The Italians clearly dominated in my opinion;
Of course I'm biased, but I don't think they "clearly dominated". They played marginally better than Germany, yes, and I have to say their victory was deserved in the end. But we played nearly as good. Our defense was very strong, and the Italians didn't have that many chances to score a goal as well. I think it was a duel on equal footing, and with a little bit of luck, or if they would have been the ones making a small mistake, the match could have easily ended the other way around. Ah well.

But I'm glad the match was decided by a regular goal, as I don't like penalty shootouts. I realize they are necessary in a tournament, but they have not much to do with the match.

Quote:Still, it shows how defence is proeminent in modern football.
Yes, unfortunately. Although I was to surprised to see that the Italians played a lot more offensively than they usually do, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Several weeks ago, nobody would have believed that our team would be able to reach the semi-finals, so I'm not too saddened that we're out. What Klinsmann had achieved with renovating German soccer is very impressive, and I hope it's only the beginning. Our team and his style of working with it has a lot of potential, and I think we will be a world-class team again in one or two years if he's allowed (and willing to) continue his work.

-Kylearan