Fire Nova totems
Hi , not noticed this until today and wondered if this is meant or a bug . I picked up the Infested protectors quest in the Bone wastes and started killing the trees so in turn kill the wood mites that appear afterwards . I went from tree to tree , killing each and dropping a Fire nova totem just before it died , now everytime I used the totem no wood mites appeared , so a change of tactics I would drop the totem after the trees death . Sure enough the wood mites started to appear and of course die off when the totem activated . Killed around four more trees this way , looked at the quest to see how many mites needed and saw it was 0 / 25 . So fire nova was doing the killing but not counting the kills .
I also noticed when my mage did this quest that if I AoE'd a split second before the tree died I was getting no mites appearing , I would actually have to wait for their appearance before the AoE .

So with my shaman I had to revert to good old smacking em around the head with my weapons:)

edit : I believe one of my hunters stings prevented the mites , but which one I can't recall atm , was a while ago .
Take care
That's normal, I think, if you figure the totem is counted as a pet - if the pet soloes an enemy completely, it isn't counted toward your kill credit and you can't loot it.
We had a problem with this quest and killing blows. We saw the usually broken 'Vengeful Harbinger' quest was available and asked if people needed it. We had someone who needed the mite prereq and kept killing and killing and weren't getting any mites.

Shamago suggested we let the person in the party who needed quest completion get the killing blow. She generally wasn't because most of us helping her were 70s who still needed 'Vengeful Harbinger' and we were doing so much damage that the chance of her getting the killing blow was very low. Letting her get the KB did the trick and we finished the quest a few kills later.

I don't know if this is officially considered a bug, but I'd certainly consider it one. You shouldn't have to distinguish between party members for KBs when questing.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.