Thunder
Quote:They just don't understand... :) In fact, many still don't. Even 2 years after release, I still hear DPS players saying "just roll an alt to farm" to healers/prot tanks. And this is coming from knowledgeable people who should know better, not just WoW public forum trolls. One of my raiding conglomerate's DPS warriors actually said that to me late last year in perfect seriousness; I could barely believe it. I think they forget how many grinds are rep-based and require the player who wants the rep to actually do the killing. Off the top of my head, I can think of:
Don't forget your main is the one with all the epics that can make farming oh so much easier. I had an alt back in classic that I rolled to do my farming, but when the xpac hit I decided that keeping two toons geared up was too much work in the short term, and ditched my healer who had been my main since January '05. He now spends his time hanging out in Thrallmar.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:Obviously exploiting.

~Frag :lol:

Clearly:)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Im not saying that I cant farm as a Prot Pally, just that its very slow. Sure, if I can get a group of melee only mobs in close proximity, I can do amazing things. But so many mobs have some sort of spell abilities, including most of the mote droppers. If only I had a pet...

WTB a squire

:rolleyes:
Moors ~ Blood Knight, Terenas
Sinomin ~ Rogue, Terenas

I stab!
Quote:Im not saying that I cant farm as a Prot Pally, just that its very slow. Sure, if I can get a group of melee only mobs in close proximity, I can do amazing things. But so many mobs have some sort of spell abilities, including most of the mote droppers. If only I had a pet...

WTB a squire

:rolleyes:

haha it'd be nice, wouldn't it? Spellcasters aren't too bad if you can get a couple of melee mobs on you before you engage them, since they go down pretty fast if you judge crusader and use righteousness on them. Multiple spellcasters or ranged mobs with escape methods (roots, knockdowns, etc) cause problems, however:)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Don't forget your main is the one with all the epics that can make farming oh so much easier.

Unless your main is a healer. Then all your +1600 to heal 200 MP5 gear doesn't mean squat while farming.

At least the small 10 man groups in Kara are helping me get a little epic DPS gear as a holy priest since competition is limited.

edit: oh I'm not claiming to have that great of gear. I'm just in blues, just saying even a fully epicced healer gets squat for farming
Quote:Unless your main is a healer. Then all your +1600 to heal 200 MP5 gear doesn't mean squat while farming.

At least the small 10 man groups in Kara are helping me get a little epic DPS gear as a holy priest since competition is limited.

edit: oh I'm not claiming to have that great of gear. I'm just in blues, just saying even a fully epicced healer gets squat for farming
My point was just that if a healer rolls an alt to farm with it will still pale in comparison to a decked out DPS class's main. I know all about healer farming. I ground out exalted with AD on my resto shaman. Level 51s that were leveling killed faster than I did:P
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:Or you could just be a hunter. :D

~Frag

There is a reason that Marn does 75% of Mogo's farming of drop type items (at least an alt or another player can do a lot of Lower City and all of the Aldor/Scryer farming for you). And for the stuff she has to be there for, well Marn is there for a good 85% of that. If not Treesh really might have retired Mogo.

It's nice to have a hunter to farm with though because a hunter can farm anything. It's not like a fire mage who has issues with fire elementals or a rogue who problems with big elemental damage folks or warriors that get downtime on certain magic mobs. I can farm anything. I may have to spend 10 - 50 silver to respec my pet so that I don't have downtime, but I can farm anything, sustain at least 400 DPS and never use a consumable. Some stuff I have to kite, some areas I have to kill mobs I don't care about so that I can have room, but I have not found a farmable mob that gives me trouble. Some of the stuff is easier but nothing is hard.

And yeah I think hunters are one of the few classes were all 3 specs (especially with some of the buffs in 2.1) can be viable for everything. My beast hunter has topped the damage meters in Karazhan and heroic 5 mans. I know survival and marks that have done the same. All 3 specs if you play to their strengths are very viable solo and in PvP. I do have some worry looking at what is on the horizon for hunter gear that Blizzard still doesn't have the itemization for hunters worked out yet (Where is my 40 DPS 1 handed weapon with extra agi and AP? Or my 60 DPS 2 hander with the extra agi, AP and hit? Where are the mail pieces with agi instead of AP for the survival spec hunters? etc) and that SSC could be a place where a hunter doesn't completely pwn. But right now I'm one of the best CC and DPS options out there for 5 mans and Kara at least. Gruul and Mag don't look to change that much either though I can't be CC and DPS in those in most cases it seems like it is one or the other. But since the gearing doesn't change that fast the early raids don't look to be all that bad for hunters. I read a lot of hunters complaining and it just doesn't jive with my experience. Sure being an excellent hunter in TBC is harder than it was before. You have to juggle 4 shots and the timing for all that changes with every different weapon speed and even potentially from a bloodlust or a speed proc. You have to understand if a fight is going to be mana limited and change things up (just like mages have to) mana pots are more valuable than they used to be. There is no longer one "best" shot rotation based on bow speed so you have to be more fluid and a mod like BigTrouble to show you the autoshot timer is almost mandatory to be at peak DPS. But to me that just makes the hunter more fun. I actually have an option to ramp up the DPS if I need to at the cost of mana. I have the option of being very viable CC (though in the higher end stuff this does take either a couple pieces of beast lord for the 2pc set and/or at least 12 points in survival for the longer lasting traps. If you don't have those then your CC is only good for about 1 minute of CC. If you do have those your CC is generally good indefinitely I've kept the same mob trapped on several occasions for 12+ traps, yes over 4 minutes off CC).

Sorry not sure where that hunter tangent came from. I blame Frag.

But I do agree that if you have limited play time a second toon that can really help you with farming isn't always an option, unless that toon is a hunter maybe. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:It's nice to have a hunter to farm with though because a hunter can farm anything. It's not like a fire mage who has issues with fire elementals or a rogue who problems with big elemental damage folks or warriors that get downtime on certain magic mobs. I can farm anything. I may have to spend 10 - 50 silver to respec my pet so that I don't have downtime, but I can farm anything, sustain at least 400 DPS and never use a consumable. Some stuff I have to kite, some areas I have to kill mobs I don't care about so that I can have room, but I have not found a farmable mob that gives me trouble. Some of the stuff is easier but nothing is hard.

I've found pretty much the same experience on my Feral druid. There's nothing farmable that I can't farm. Assuming I don't take too much damage per mob, I can even do it non-stop, with no downtime what-so-ever. It's good... When I did that stuff on my mage, I was bored out of my mind from all the water I had to drink. When I did it on my paladin....... well, let's not go there.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Im not saying that I cant farm as a Prot Pally, just that its very slow.
I keep a book handy when I'm soloing with my Paladin. If I can get my girlfriend to bring her Shaman along, however, I have fun desperately trying to hold aggro off of her (without blowing all of my mana). She is insane. :)
-TheDragoon
Quote:I keep a book handy when I'm soloing with my Paladin. If I can get my girlfriend to bring her Shaman along, however, I have fun desperately trying to hold aggro off of her (without blowing all of my mana). She is insane. :)

Paladins can read??! :lol:
Quote:Paladins can read??! :lol:

They gotta do something while waiting for things to die from the 1000 paper cuts... :whistling:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Sorry not sure where that hunter tangent came from. I blame Frag.
I blame my malaise on being lazy with /quote/, I was specifically referring to the notion of having dps classes (ala my rogue did for 3v3 yesterday) respecc'ing from pve to pvp and back, and the fact that hunters actually can get away with an arena spec in pve raids & farming and do more than alright compared to the pack. I figure it's karma. :)

~Frag :blush:
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.