Add-Ons to stop the goldspammers
Quote:Tinker in the .lua

It didn't take me long to find... I'm currently at work or I'd look again and give you a general idea of where to look:)

I poked around in the lua -- if you've used WRUGS and know how it works I don't think it is very hard.

However, I had to delete it. I got all kinds of errors with WRUGS. I don't have any chat mods installed, with the exception of Suicide Kings, which I suppose could be causing a conflict.
Quote:I poked around in the lua -- if you've used WRUGS and know how it works I don't think it is very hard.

However, I had to delete it. I got all kinds of errors with WRUGS. I don't have any chat mods installed, with the exception of Suicide Kings, which I suppose could be causing a conflict.

Hmm wonder what is doing it for you. WRUGS works fine for me and I have a couple of mods that mess with chat stuff installed. I don't think it's SK since I've got that too.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I poked around in the lua -- if you've used WRUGS and know how it works I don't think it is very hard.

Isn't ratingbuster also throwing errors for you?

I downloaded WRUGS too and don't have errors popping up with it, SK nor ratingbuster. I wonder if you've conflicting librarybraries somewhere that is/are included in a mod somewhere.
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:Tinker in the .lua

It didn't take me long to find... I'm currently at work or I'd look again and give you a general idea of where to look:)
Not very comfortable with tinkering in .lua files. I'm not exactly what you'd call an expert on the subject.:P

Besides, I'd have to do the same all over again at every upgrade... meh. No thanks.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Not very comfortable with tinkering in .lua files. I'm not exactly what you'd call an expert on the subject.:P

Besides, I'd have to do the same all over again at every upgrade... meh. No thanks.
You don't need to tinker to get use out of it. Bots aren't currently responding to it and won't for quite a while. Once they do, I'd be surprised if the makers didn't put in easy funtionality to change the message.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:You don't need to tinker to get use out of it. Bots aren't currently responding to it and won't for quite a while. Once they do, I'd be surprised if the makers didn't put in easy funtionality to change the message.
Not true. One message at least is consistently getting through since I installed it.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
My personal favorite is SpamMeNot, which allows you to block tells by character level, which eliminates the level 1 gold seller spam. It also rates tells by their content, and any tell that exceeds the threshold is blocked and the user ignored. I've been using it for about a week and have seen absolutely no tells involving gold selling, down from the 20-30 a day I was getting before.

SpamMeNot can be found at http://wow-en.curse-gaming.com/downloads/a...chat/spammenot/ .
Good news, everyone!
Quote: With the upcoming Black Temple patch, we will be introducing new features aimed directly at reducing the amount of repetitive and unwanted whispers, chat text, and mail. Our goal with these new features is to not only increase the ease of reporting spam, but also to automatically restrict it. Following the implementation of these features, we will continue to monitor for chat and mail abuse and take further action as needed.

Here are some of the new spam-prevention features going into the new patch.

Reporting abilities:

* Players will now be able to report chat and mail spam with the click of a button. A "Report Spam" option will now be available by right-clicking on a player’s name in a chat channel, whisper, or mail. Using this option will quickly and easily report the player to our in-game support department for review.
* When you report a player, he or she will automatically be added to your ignore list for your current session. You won't see any chat or mail from that player until you log out and back in.
* These tools function on a per-account basis, meaning that reporting one character on an account will ignore all chat text and mail from that entire account until you log off.
* You will not be able to report players on your friends list or in your guild.

Message throttling:

* Players will no longer be able to send large amounts of text at one time, filling a chat screen with a repeating message, large blocks of gibberish, or text that could disrupt an entire conversation. This throttling, along with the new chat-reporting feature should make it much easier to keep unwanted text off your screen before it becomes overwhelming.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Message throttling:

* Players will no longer be able to send large amounts of text at one time, filling a chat screen with a repeating message, large blocks of gibberish, or text that could disrupt an entire conversation. This throttling, along with the new chat-reporting feature should make it much easier to keep unwanted text off your screen before it becomes overwhelming.

It will be interesting to see how this affects those that like to dump combat stats from some of the add ons.
Quote:It will be interesting to see how this affects those that like to dump combat stats from some of the add ons.

Yeah, and the !gem addons, etc.

I'm hoping blizzard will be concerned with false positives so they've taken that into account. Then again, I'm not entirely certain how effective their measures will be, for that reason. The reporting is nice, but after the fact - most goldspammers will whisper you once and that's it, so putting them on ignore doesn't help.
Quote:Yeah, and the !gem addons, etc.

I'm hoping blizzard will be concerned with false positives so they've taken that into account. Then again, I'm not entirely certain how effective their measures will be, for that reason. The reporting is nice, but after the fact - most goldspammers will whisper you once and that's it, so putting them on ignore doesn't help.

Well the ignore does put the entire account on ignore. So they can't hit you from that account multiple times which does happen a lot. Make the toon, spam, delete toon, make new toon spam. At leas this way that new toon will be on ignore. Right now it's not. So that does help. I've wanted an ignore account feature for awhile now. Hopefully you can manually ignore a whole account without having to do the spam report stuff.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Yeah, and the !gem addons, etc.

Ace addons like GemList are smart and should be completely unaffected (they already throttle). Worst case scenario is Blizzard's limits are more strict than ChatThrottleLib, so the library needs to be updated to a new limit.

Assuming Blizzard did it right, it'll be a queue system where you can do something like spam 10 entries on a DPS meter and #10 will just be broadcast slower than #1 was.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
By the way, I installed STFU when this post started and over the last few weeks I've noticed more and more whispers getting through from gold spammers. Ironically I checked each one that made it through and they were all level 1 characters that should have been blocked. So just FYI, apparently they're finding ways around that one.
:angry:
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

Quote:By the way, I installed STFU when this post started and over the last few weeks I've noticed more and more whispers getting through from gold spammers. Ironically I checked each one that made it through and they were all level 1 characters that should have been blocked. So just FYI, apparently they're finding ways around that one.
:angry:

One would think that it's not in a spammer's best interest to spend time circumventing people who are actively avoiding ads for their products. I don't imagine that people who install gold-spam-avoiding mods are likely to be swayed by any spam that gets through.
That's odd. I haven't gotten any since I installed this. I know they're still coming at me because I just got a new keyboard that has a little LCD screen on it that shows me who whispered me when they do. Most of the ones I see on the LCD don't show up on the computer and are ones I suspect are spammers (3 whispers from Shjsdfa, etc.). I did have to shut off the SpamSentry for everything but the Spam button on my mailbox (for the same reasons STFU doesn't work with WIM) because otherwise both addons try to parse the whispers and it screws it up. If you have any other chat addons, that may be your problem.
Terenas (pst !enchant <keywords> or !craft <keywords> to any of my characters)
Shimoyake 375 SW Tailor / 375 Enchanter (Exalted w/ Scryer, CE, Sha'tar, Thrallmar, LC, VE; Revered w/ KoT)
[Image: 551160rumOC.png]
Shikigami 375 SW Tailor / 375 Skinner (Honored w/ Aldor)
[Image: 551176xgSAM.png]
Kosokoso 375 Alchemist / 375 Herbalist (Revered with CE)
[Image: 551190IuloU.png]
et alts
Quote:If you have any other chat addons, that may be your problem.

Actually that's the only chat addon I've got. (that I know of) Although I think I may still have quickheal installed and just not working and that did do some whispering when I was healing someone. I'll have to uninstall that and see if it affects it at all.

Seemed like I'd only get one a night and I figured it was a similar issue with duplicate whispers hitting and one getting through. Last night I got three at the same time from a level 1 character so I'm not so sure about that anymore.
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman

Hi,

Quote:One would think that it's not in a spammer's best interest to spend time circumventing people who are actively avoiding ads for their products. I don't imagine that people who install gold-spam-avoiding mods are likely to be swayed by any spam that gets through.
Yep. But your argument assumes that gold spammers have at least the intelligence of a flatworm. I question the validity of that assumption;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Ok, I'm convinced it is a conflict now. Last night I was playing with my wife and she was on the main computer and I was on the laptop. With few exceptions the addons are the same and she got the gold spammer whispers and I didn't. We both have STFU loaded so there's gotta be a conflict.
Melothan - 85 BE Warlock
Melidorn - 80 Orc Shaman