Add-Ons to stop the goldspammers
I did a search and didn't find this info. Let me know if it's a repeat.

Are you tired of the Peons bugging you? Power-leveling offers got ya down? Well, we have the cure!

First up, and my first love in this battle: SpamSentry. This little gem blocks most whispers from the buggers. The current version, however, they are working around by sending multiple tells at the same time. One gets caught, but one gets through. This add-on makes it a breeze for you to report the offending parties. Two clicks and your ticket is submitted with all details. This also has a feature that adds a "Spam" button to your mailbox. If you get a spam, click the button and it's added to the report list.

Secondly, and after only one day of using this, I disabled SpamSentry but for the mail "Spam" button, is STFU. The name might be bad, but like Chuck Norris, sometimes bad is good. STFU will /who anyone the first time they whisper you during a session. If they're below the threshold level (default=2), then their whispers never make it to your screen. It clears its blacklist at each logout, so it won't permanently block a genuine player. I installed this before my playing last night, and during our SL run, I was the only one who didn't seem to get the whispers everyone else did.
---
ETA: Lochnar pointed out that anyone who wants a /ginvite who is level 1 would be ignored by STFU. I did some code-digging and found out where to change the .lua to put this feature in. Thanks to Frost for helping me test it.
(These are PC iinstructions. I don't know how to get there on a Mac.)
Step 1: Install STFU to your ~\Interface\AddOns\ folder in your WoW directory.
Step 2: Go to the ~\Interface\AddOns\STFU\ directory.
Step 3: Right-click STFU.lua and select Open With... then select WordPad and click Ok.
Step 4: In the WordPad window, hit Ctrl+F and enter "for whispers" in the box, click Find Next, then Cancel.
Step 5: Below the line that reads:
Code:
    if STFU_Data.block_low_level > 1 and event == "CHAT_MSG_WHISPER" then
replace the following line:
Code:
        if (arg6 and arg6 == "GM") or Deuce:OnFriendList(arg2) or Deuce:InMyPartyOrRaid(arg2) or Deuce:InMyGuild(arg2) then
with this code:
Code:
            local startPos, endPos, trash1, trash2 = string.find(arg1, "invite")
        if (arg6 and arg6 == "GM") or Deuce:OnFriendList(arg2) or Deuce:InMyPartyOrRaid(arg2) or Deuce:InMyGuild(arg2) or startPos then
Step 6: Hit Ctrl+S to save your work, and close the window.

You can now start WoW and the AddOn will automatically block all level 1 characters who whisper you unless they:
  • Are in your guild<>
  • Are in your party or raid<>
  • Are on your friends list<>
  • Are (for some reason) a <GM><>
  • Use the string "invite" in their whisper<>
    [st]
    This should make this AddOn friendly for those who have the rank to /ginvite people.
Terenas (pst !enchant <keywords> or !craft <keywords> to any of my characters)
Shimoyake 375 SW Tailor / 375 Enchanter (Exalted w/ Scryer, CE, Sha'tar, Thrallmar, LC, VE; Revered w/ KoT)
[Image: 551160rumOC.png]
Shikigami 375 SW Tailor / 375 Skinner (Honored w/ Aldor)
[Image: 551176xgSAM.png]
Kosokoso 375 Alchemist / 375 Herbalist (Revered with CE)
[Image: 551190IuloU.png]
et alts
Just a couple comments - I'm using spamsentry and have had no problem with it not catching the second on the duplicate spam sends. My only complaint is that I wish more GMs would recognize the ticket as auto-generated by spamsentry (some apparently do) and send back their auto-response instead of whispering me so I have to stop and send back "nothing to discuss - just reporting gold spam". STFU sounds really interesting but I would be afraid of it not doing what I expected it to. Immediately, I see that it would be a problem with new alts wanting invites to a guild. The first thing I do is whisper a guildmate asking for the invite and this would block it. Not everyone would be aware that it might happen and be offended when they got back the message they had been blocked. I would love to see another review after you've used it for a couple weeks. It does sound nice.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I don't know why I was getting the messages that way thru SS. Maybe my version needs updated or I'm getting a conflict with another add-on. I put in my default report that they need not contact me in game, but I think that some GMs whisper the player before they actually read the ticket. It depends on the GM.

I thought about the level 1 alts not getting thru, but I am not of rank to invite anyway. I see how this could be a problem for those who can, though. I looked thru the readme.txt and didn't find a setting to check for keywords to override the ignore function.

I did some code digging and figured out an easy way to modify STFU to let whispers with the word "invite" in them thru. I'll ETA my original post.
Shimoyake 375 SW Tailor / 375 Enchanter (Exalted w/ Scryer, CE, Sha'tar, Thrallmar, LC, VE; Revered w/ KoT)
et alts
Quote:I'll ETA my original post.

Off-topic, but... you'll what your original post? I only know of that standing for "Estimated Time of Arrival"...

On-topic, Spamsentry (written by a friend of an ex-guildmate, gogo fame!) has worked fine for me, even with the double-whispers. Haven't had any false positives yet.
You don't know what you're talking about.
I just got WRUGS the other day and it's been great. It automatically blocks all whispers from anyone not on your friends list, in your guild, in your party/raid or on your safe list. If someone not on your safe list whispers you, their whisper is blocked and a reply is sent to them with something along these lines:

"Hi! <name> is using WRUGS anti-spam addon. In order for <name> to see your tells, type /w <name> WRUGS."

The person does this, is permanently added to your safe list an life goes on. Of the 10 or so invites I got for instance runs since getting it, nearly all of the people have asked where I got it.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:I just got WRUGS the other day and it's been great. It automatically blocks all whispers from anyone not on your friends list, in your guild, in your party/raid or on your safe list. If someone not on your safe list whispers you, their whisper is blocked and a reply is sent to them with something along these lines:

"Hi! <name> is using WRUGS anti-spam addon. In order for <name> to see your tells, type /w <name> WRUGS."

The person does this, is permanently added to your safe list an life goes on. Of the 10 or so invites I got for instance runs since getting it, nearly all of the people have asked where I got it.

That sounds pretty nice, even for someone like me that plays with a lot of people not in my guild. Takes someone two seconds to get through the spam filter if they aren't in my guild, and I wouldn't get all that spam. Seems like I'm up to one an hour now :angry:.
[Image: 21740hrsxL.png]
Quote:That sounds pretty nice, even for someone like me that plays with a lot of people not in my guild. Takes someone two seconds to get through the spam filter if they aren't in my guild, and I wouldn't get all that spam. Seems like I'm up to one an hour now :angry:.
I'd heard of various blockers but the day I logged on and received 4 tells in 54 minutes (I checked my TitanBar session time after the fourth tell) was the last straw for me. My server (Maiev) is currently the 3rd lowest server population for all US servers... the business can't be that great.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
About a month ago there was a mass spam on Sunday morning I think, but it wasn't gold selling, it was some emo poem. I forgot the screenshot it, but it was really odd.:wacko:I'm not sure what was worse, gold sellers or emo poems <_<
[Image: 21740hrsxL.png]
Quote:Off-topic, but... you'll what your original post? I only know of that standing for "Estimated Time of Arrival"...

Edit To Amend/Add
et alts
Quote:About a month ago there was a mass spam on Sunday morning I think, but it wasn't gold selling, it was some emo poem. I forgot the screenshot it, but it was really odd.:wacko:I'm not sure what was worse, gold sellers or emo poems <_<

XD I think I read about that on LJ's worldofwarcraft community.
et alts
Quote:"Hi! <name> is using WRUGS anti-spam addon. In order for <name> to see your tells, type /w <name> WRUGS."

Ummmm.... as soon as this becomes a little more popular it will be useless. It'd be trivial to code the spam bot to /w <name> WRUGS and then spam you.
I use CrepSpamFilter. Was made by a guild mate of mine. I like the simplicity and unobtrusiveness of it, and it works quite nicely. I just hide the "CSF" behind my FuBar.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
Quote:Ummmm.... as soon as this becomes a little more popular it will be useless. It'd be trivial to code the spam bot to /w <name> WRUGS and then spam you.
Actually... no. The password and message can be custom set. I'd love to see a bot figure this out:

"Hi! <name> is using WRUGS anti-spam addon. In order for <name> to see your tells, whisper <name> with the answer to this problem: 1+2+3."

:D
I've started using SpamSentry. It seems to work quite well. It was, however, giving me a notification every time it blocked something. This was almost as disruptive as the spam itself. A little fiddling with the options fixed that.

"Yog-Sothoth is the key to the gate, whereby the spheres meet. Man rules now where They ruled once, but after summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again."
- Abdul Alhazred

Warcraft characters
Stormrage:
- Naphta, 70 Warlock, 350 goblin engineer
- Xinth, 60 Warrior
Terenas
- Nezeramontias, 33 priest
- Boulderan, 13 shaman
Picked up WRUGS and had ~7 people yesterday (who had sent me a whisper) tell me, that after the initial WTH reaction wore off, they were going to DL it. Thanks for the link.

~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:Actually... no. The password and message can be custom set. I'd love to see a bot figure this out:

"Hi! <name> is using WRUGS anti-spam addon. In order for <name> to see your tells, whisper <name> with the answer to this problem: 1+2+3."

Oooh... very cool. *heads off to download WRUGS now*
Quote:Actually... no. The password and message can be custom set. I'd love to see a bot figure this out:

How exactly do you change the message? I haven't been able to find any way to do that.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:How exactly do you change the message? I haven't been able to find any way to do that.
/wrugs setpass [New Pass]

(per the readme, not sure about changing the Auto-response to a blocked member, may have to tinker with the lua.)

Cheers,
~Frag B)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Yes, I know about the password, I was asking about the message. Best thing you can do is hide the password, apparently, but that sort of makes it pointless...
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:Yes, I know about the password, I was asking about the message. Best thing you can do is hide the password, apparently, but that sort of makes it pointless...
Tinker in the .lua

It didn't take me long to find... I'm currently at work or I'd look again and give you a general idea of where to look:)

EDIT: Just remembered, I've had some weird occurrences of whispers getting through. They generally go something like this:

[Lolrogue]: wanna tank underbog???
[Me]: no thanks
[Lolrogue]: WRUGS
* ima_nerd is confused.

Their message got through, but WRUGS obviously detected it and then sent its response...