I have been playing with my wii...
So about a week and a half ago I purchased a Nintendo Wii. Given that I'm a college student in flux between summer jobs, I've been playing it a lot... So much that I managed to finish Twilight Princess in a week real time (logging about 35 hours worth of playtime).

So today, after having enough Wii Sports for a while, I hit up Best Buy with a wonderful 10% off 3 items or less coupon for all video games and picked up Resident Evil 4 and WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

I beat the basic plot of WarioWare in an hour, and found it funny... But I'm thinking I'm probably going to take advantage of Best Buy's "14 Day Used Return" policy on videogames, and just claim that I bought it for my little bro & after he threw it in the Wii realized that it wasn't the game that he wanted because its kind of lacking... It just really isn't any fun after the first 10 minutes or so. :-( The thing is, I'd heard pretty good reviews that WarioWare was probably the best mini-game collection of any of the games out there.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, its fantastic. I know its a re-release from GC/PS2, but given that I'd never really played the Resident Evil series (I kind of got out of console gaming halfway through the Playstation/N64 generation, and the Wii is my first console purchase in about 5 years) and this game is freaking me out. Its just plain old fashioned fun! Whether its deciding to upgrade or buy a new weapon, headshotting zombie-thingers, or running from these zombie-thingers, I've jumped at least 2-3 times in my 2 hours of playtime and have died 7 or 8 (it took me a few tries to figure out that I don't need to kill every zombie, and that trying to do so is probably a bad idea).

I'm looking forward to a few other games, too, Metroit Prime 3: Corruption, Mario Strikers Charged (to really christen online play - which Pokemon Battle Revolution won't really do), Madden '08 (oh yeah), plus Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, and Super Mario Galaxy are due out by the end of the year. I need to start saving money.

I have realized that Nintendo is going to have some serious teeth in this console generation. Its only a matter of time before the third party developers jump on the bandwagon and start churning out games. The Wii is a mere 1.61 million consoles behind the Xbox360 after spotting it a year (Link). Funnily enough, the PS3 is actually doing about as well as the XBox360 if you align their launches.

So yes, the wii is really that good. Its still selling out (when I purchased mine, I got lucky, the GameStop I visited just happend to get in a shipment of 6 that day, I bought #5 at 1 o'clock that afternoon). It has a killer line up of games this fall/Christmas season, and more than likely, its going to start getting much more substantial 3rd party support as companies realize that Nintendo will soon be the market leader.

Ladies and gents, start your wii.

-Baylan
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
You don't happen to work for Nintendo during the summer, do you? ;)

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I played Wii for the first time a few weeks ago, starting out with Wii Sports. My girlfriend beat me consistently in every game we played, and she doesn't play video games at all. But it hardly mattered, it was an absolute blast to play - especially in a 4 person game!

Originally skeptical, now I'm officially a fan of the innovation Nintendo made with the wii. Not to mention the fact that the titles coming out for wii are very exciting (especially SSB:B). But since I'm no longer in college, late night games of SSB aren't going to be much of a reality;)

So in the meantime I'll be plenty content playing Project Gotham Racing for the original xbox, recently purchased for a cool 2$.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:You don't happen to work for Nintendo during the summer, do you? ;)

Far from it, I used the first three weeks of my summer getting used & abused by a corporate entity that screws college kids. I was getting paid 40 hours for 60 hours work, and I was *not* a fan of that... And now I'm heading back to my old high school job. So, no, not Nintendo. I wish, that'd be sweet.

-Baylan
I love my Wii. I can play Wii Sports all day long. Twilight Princess is fantastic too. I've been using my Wii mostly for Gamecube games, though. I never did own a GC for some reason. The Virtual Console is cool too. In fact, I think I play more non-Wii games on my Wii :huh:
Quote:I love my Wii. I can play Wii Sports all day long. Twilight Princess is fantastic too. I've been using my Wii mostly for Gamecube games, though. I never did own a GC for some reason. The Virtual Console is cool too. In fact, I think I play more non-Wii games on my Wii :huh:

Those Virtual Console thingies are really nifty! Played ours of Mariocart on my cousin's XBox, got myself an emulator for SNes on my Mac too. Loved playing through all the games I owned as a kid again:)

On the Wii note, I have yet to hear a negative comment on it. If I hadn't invested major cash in a 360 I'd be sorely tempted. Some friend's of mine have one, but they cba to buy a second remote (the nunchaku thingie) and that's were most of my interest would bedirected at: co-op or head-to-head jumpage, runnage and, last but not least, punchage.

Also I understand that the sports and fighting games are a real workout as far as gaming is concerned. Which in the past only happened when I was lifting some iron during loading breaks:D(4x4 Evo on the XBox xomes to mind...)

I guess I should try to get some time with the Wii

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:On the Wii note, I have yet to hear a negative comment on it. If I hadn't invested major cash in a 360 I'd be sorely tempted. Some friend's of mine have one, but they cba to buy a second remote (the nunchaku thingie) and that's were most of my interest would bedirected at: co-op or head-to-head jumpage, runnage and, last but not least, punchage.

If you have a Wii, you need at least a second remote and nunchuk. When I only had a single remote and nunchuk I noticed that my 4 year old son was doing pretty well at Wii boxing (YouTube, with jammies). I bought the extra remote and nunchuk to show him that his old man can take him down a notch or two. He readily kicks my ass at Wii boxing. He has short arms and unlimited stamina. I can't compete with that.

The other things I bought to complement my Wii were a wireless Wavebird GameCube controller, a GameCube memory card, a Classic Controller (the GameCube controller works, but not as sweetly), and a bunch of Wii points. I also bought a SD memory card (which the Wii natively supports), but there isn't much you can do with it yet.

edit: The Wii was probably the best purchase I made in a long time. It's loads of fun. I even got my father-in-law to buy one. He's a crotchety old bastard, but he sure loves him some Wii golf.
I got a Wii on launch day. I work in a walmart, so I had the resources to monitor the line of people waiting without actually being there, as well as a knowledge of our stock--so I strategically placed myself to recieve the last console, thus waiting the least.

Anyway, it's great. But they really need to release more games. Other than Twilight Princess there really hasn't been much in the way of strong single player titles the likes of which keep gamers of my sort coming back to the system. Minigame compilations and vaguely bad last-gen ports only last you so long.

Resident Evil 4 now is a strong step, and in the near future we'll be getting Metroid Prime 3, so I plan to spend some more time with it. And a number of third party developers have announced that they're switching focus to the Wii, and some of the third party developers pushing the aforementioned vaguely bad last-gen ports have said that they underestimated the Wii, and that it was a mistake to leave it with just those mediocre titles. So I see improvement in the future.
From the perspective of what some would label a Sony-f@nboi, I can say that I'm cautiously optimistic about Nintendo's chances this time around. (They'll probably outsell the Gamecube any day now, if not already!)

My friend bought a Wii just recently (handed in a PS2 + 5 games and got an approximately 70 per cent discounton the Wii!) and we had a great time with wii sports. Tennis and golf were the big hits, and we played upwards of 10-12 hours the minute we plugged it in. Great fun; and fun in a different way than playing other games. We tried Wii Play and were horrified by the ineptitude of the minigames. (9-ball was fun though) (I've also played Wario, which was similarly disappointing after having seen Gamespot's review of it). Wii sports was fun though!

Like Bob says, the Wii needs more solid single player titles. Multiplayer is fun, but to be a great all-rounded console, you really do need something for those lonesome long summer nights when there are no one around to play with. For hardcore gamers (or casual ones who just like to play alone), single player is imperative. Doesn't look like it'll be a problem though, with Japan's top three 3rd party developers recently having more or less 'switched' from PS3/Xbox360 to Wii-development. The console is selling like crap, and developers are jumping on board salivating over their enormous audience.

Speaking of, it seems the Wii might have succeeded in its task: breaking the barriers of traditional gaming audiences. I saw a humorous story on the news when the Wii was first out. Someone had brought a Wii to a Norwegian nursing home, and the residents had a great time playing Wii Sports. My aforementioned friend just showed the game to his family and they loved it. Similar reports of old, non-gamers being engrossed with the Wii are widespread. So far it looks like Nintendo really *did* put the 'we' in Wii.

Still, the launch hasn't been completely flawless. One of the initial flagships of the Wii, Red Steel, tanked. Similar to its criticism, I've read reviews of other games where it's been pointed out that the control scheme is severely flawed. Although waving the controller around works great in Wii sports, developers seem to have trouble integrating it flawlessly into other titles. The key is to have the control scheme not feel gimmicky, but rather integrate it seemlessly into the gaming experience. Accomplishing this is key to Wii's prolonged success.

The Nintendo Wii has been labelled a "fad" that will soon wear out its interest. I'm not convinced either way. On the other hand, I severely doubt Sony will be able to garner half the market share as they did previous years, and it will be very interesting to see how the infamous console war drags on as the Playstation3's triple-A titles come rolling out.

Me? I'm waiting for Guitar Hero: Rock the 80s and Guitar Hero 3 for the PS2 (which, amazingly, is still outselling the PS3!)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Jun 28 2007, 02:21 PM' post='132502']
Like Bob says, the Wii needs more solid single player titles. Multiplayer is fun, but to be a great all-rounded console, you really do need something for those lonesome long summer nights when there are no one around to play with. For hardcore gamers (or casual ones who just like to play alone), single player is imperative. Doesn't look like it'll be a problem though, with Japan's top three 3rd party developers recently having more or less 'switched' from PS3/Xbox360 to Wii-development. The console is selling like crap, and developers are jumping on board salivating over their enormous audience.

This, right now, is the single biggest flaw in the Nintendo Wii. I'm personally playing RE4 to quench my single-player thirst, but until developers start developing and releasing good single-player titles, the Wii will sit a lot more than it'll be played.

In terms of "not-so-seemless" wiimote problems - apparently the Zelda team was planning on including 1:1 control of Link's sword with the initial release of the game, but wanted another year to work out the kinks, and Nintendo said no. If they can actually get 1:1 working on a game like Zelda... *drool* Or perhaps, even a Star Wars... With 1:1 light-saber control? *drools even more*

There is a *lot* of potential. Hopefully Metroid can get the FPS genre going, and the next Zelda that comes out will have that perfect 1:1 control with the wiimote, thus paving the road for some of the most innovative, fun, and ridiculously user-controlled games ever.

-Baylan
The reason that there is pretty shoddy third-party developer support right now is that the Wii caught everyone with their pants down. I don't think anybody anticipated just how outrageously successful it would be. Now developers are playing catch-up. I've heard that developing a game from the ground up can take a minimum of a year, and you have to factor in how long it would take to create a game based around the Wii's unique control scheme. Right now there are a lot of Wii games, but most of them are ports of games developed for other consoles or first-party Nintendo titles. The unique third-party stuff is when the magic happens. Manhunt 2 might have been the first of the really good ones, but sadly it got hit with an AO ESRB rating and has been shelved.

I do anticipate a huge amount of really great games by Christmas, because the sales success of the Wii is something that developers just cannot ignore. By then, sales of the Wii should also have exceeded the Xbox360.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php
Quote:Or perhaps, even a Star Wars... With 1:1 light-saber control? *drools even more*

Ask and ye shall receive.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Quote:Ask and ye shall receive.

Hell yes!

Now all I need is some sweet Wii curling.
Quote:Ask and ye shall receive.

Lego Star Wars, as entertaining as it is, is not exactly what I had in mind. I really think to the Jedi Knight series when I think about hardcore sweet Lightsaber action. At one point, I actually played a mod that had come up with a fairly good skill-based defensive system as well. It was based on having yourself pointed at whatever was attacking you, so that you couldn't just randomly deflect some lightsaber attack from behind.

And also, it does not say 1:1 lightsaber control... Which could be a *huge* selling point.

In any case, its good to see that LucasArts is getting its act together. I just hope they sell off the license and let someone with a brain develop the game, because LucasArts hasn't done the greatest job with doing its own games...
I didn't want to start a new thread, as I'm most interested in the Wii info...

But who has been following E3?

What do you think of the Balance Board and the showing? Overall, it seems to me (and most critics) that E3 definitely lacked the "Shazam!!" of previous E3s, but the info that I've seen is still pretty interesting. I've heard great reviews of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy is apparently beautiful and interesting, and there seems to be a gathering of 3rd party support for Nintendo...

But Super Smash Bros. Brawl was *not* confirmed for online play, which scares me a little bit (it was not mentioned specificially for or again). I feel that if there is ANY game that needs to be online other than a Madden, it is Brawl.

In any case, I'm gonna be emptying my pockets quite often this fall for new games. :-D

-Baylan
Quote:

Bleh.... I've played with my children's Wii since we purchased it back in late January. At first, I too was very impressed, but after having experimented with several games on the Wii, I've come to realize most of the games on the Wii suck, not to mention there is much to be desired for the finicky control sensitivity which modern day controllers don't worry about. I also thought the Wii Sports and Sports Plus would give me more of a workout, however to get the best results in the game, you cannot make a "full"swing or "bowl" as you would in 'real-life'; no, the most effective results are garnered from simply rotating your wrist, so don't expect to burn any calories from this machine - it's not what the hype makes it out to be! Did I mention the graphics are last generation (if that) and don't even come with an S-video connector? IMO, if you want a real gaming machine, stick to the PC or purchase an Xbox 360. Until the Wii comes out with better games and a far superior control sensor, the Wii is better off as a beer coaster.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
My main beef with the Wii is it doesn't feel like a console for gamers. It feels (both control scheme and games) more like it was designed for Grandma and Grandpa, the young'uns, or perhaps for some drunk college kids. Seems like it would make for some good drinking games, but if I want to get together with my gamer buddies, I'd rather have something with deep gameplay instead of something where the central focus seems to be around making it jive with a new control scheme. I think they're targeting to wrong demographic to have good long-term sales.

The other problem I have is more a personal dislike than a problem. It's already been said that most of the games are pretty much multiplayer-only. If I have a bunch of friends over, I generally do not have the immediate desire to bust out the console. That's something to do when everyone is asleep or out of town and I'm bored. There are a couple of games that have multiplayer good enough to be exceptions here, but in general, if I have the people around that I have fun with, I don't need a console to do it, so I might as well do something fun that I cannot do without them.

--me
Banned for gold spamming

-Bolty
So... in recent news:

Super Smash has confirmed online play! With possibilities open as to what that might entail. Confirmed is: online play with friends (and slight text messages) and random battles (as if you're playing A.I. - no communication)

Also, I'm currently playing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and I'm having a absolutely blast with it. I'm about 5 hours in, and I'm getting to the last part of Bryyo (the second main area). The controls on it are really tight, and its absolutely phenomenal.

So... I'm currently looking forward to: Guitar Hero 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and... Batallion Wars II/The MoH game with 32 player multiplayer promised?! Sounds pretty ridiculous, if they can get the controls right.

Just another wii update... :-)

-Baylan
Quote:So... in recent news:

Super Smash has confirmed online play!

Also, I'm currently playing Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and I'm having a absolutely blast with it. I'm about 5 hours in, and I'm getting to the last part of Bryyo (the second main area). The controls on it are really tight, and its absolutely phenomenal.

So... I'm currently looking forward to: Guitar Hero 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and... Batallion Wars II/The MoH game with 32 player multiplayer promised?! Sounds pretty ridiculous, if they can get the controls right.

-Baylan

Just when I think I can cross it off my list... SSBB is going to be incredible. And don't even get me started on Prime 3, I was hooked after 2 minutes of the original on the GC.

Sigh, I don't know whether to thank you or curse you Baylan:P

I'll go with the former, thanks.

Cheers,

Munk