Half-Life 2 - Episode Two
So I picked up the orange box Thursday night and let it do its thing overnight. Come Friday morning, I get up, do the necessary tasks, and plop down in this chair and get to work on Portal. Complete Portal, hop into Team Fortress 2 to get everything set up for later fragging, and then go straight to work on Episode Two. Episode One was a blast; the dark elevator room and the hospital as a whole were great.

But Episode Two really just blows One away. Maybe it's the change of scenery; One was just really more of the same. While the look and presentation had improved from the original Half-Life 2, you're still trudging around City 17 (well, a devastated City 17.) Two, on the other hand, moves you into forests, mineshafts, and missile silos. I haven't started on the developer commentary yet (something I'll probably slowly work my way through over the next few weeks), but I remember reading an article that said the art team visited sites like these in real life to take ideas from. The areas certainly look realistic, even with my decrepit 9600XT providing the graphical muscle. It also seems they improved their facial tech; Alyx and other notable NPCs now crease their brows when showing certain emotions, though the anonymous, expendable random rebels still have their mostly static (boring) faces.

But where Two really improves over One is in the NPC interaction. One was a big step forward over the original in terms of that, and Two is exponentially greater than One was, even though Alyx isn't always trailing you like a lost puppy in Two. I can only imagine the sheer amount of effort and trial-and-error the actors, art team, and developers put in in order to get the scripted sequences so refined, but it's definitely paid off. And while the Half-Life series has developed a certain habit of cliffhanger endings, Two's ending is - far and away - better than anything they've put out so far. It comes way out of left field and while you can predict the major event of it a few seconds before it happens, it's still shocking. For a second, I thought I was playing an RPG; you don't really expect good character interaction or plot twists in a shooter, that's for sure. Alyx's voice actress definitely deserves credit; there're several places in Two where she makes the character really come alive.

There has been a plot hole that's been bugging me, however. While it's not hard to accept the neo-Fascist Combine has taken control of Earth at the start of Half-Life 2, I don't think they ever actually tell you how it went from Nihilanthi aliens from Xen to the Combine from wherever. I've been playing through Half-Life 2 in an attempt to find out, but I don't think they ever actually mention it.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
It's okay, there's supposed to be a little blank in the narrative regarding to the transitional period between G-man and his organisation securing control over Xen and the Combine (Who originally controlled the Nihilanth) taking over. Something like twenty years passed between the two, but you don't quite realise it.

Gordon was in stasis the whole time, while the rest of the world carried on regardless. Thing is, no one actually knows that Gordon was in stasis, and assumes that he experienced everything from the Portal Storms and the Seven Hour War firsthand, which is why no one actually explains anything.

The short of it is that the Combine originally controlled Xen through the Nihilanth, Gordon broke their chain of control, and both Breen and the G-man had some hand in and had differing desires for the outcome of the resonance cascade.

Truth is, I haven't played much of Episode 2. Portal is just fantastic.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Really, The Half Life Saga Story Guide can fill in any blanks you may have regarding the Half-Life plot.

Recently I've been playing through Half-Life again, and I've found even more occurances of the G-Man than I found the first time through.

1) When you first start on the underground railroad escape through City 17's sewers, you meet a Vortigant and a human hiding in a truck container. They have a TV in there. For a brief moment when you first enter the container, the G-Man is on the TV. The Vortigant quickly shuts it off.

2) When you're on the road to Nova Prospekt, there's a house that allows you to look through a set of binoculars. Way off in the distance, you can see the G-Man talking to Colonel Cubbage, who you later meet and help defend.

It just seems like various members of the resistance talk to and work with the G-Man, or that everyone knows who he is but you.

I gotta admit I love the mystery of the G-Man, and hope that they never really tell you who he is. It's more fun to speculate (some of the wildest theories I've heard is that the G-Man is Gordon Freeman in the future, come back to help him out).

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I thought about posting this in a new thread, but decided that is was in some way relevant to the topic here.

I've never been a big fan of FPS games, but when I heard about Portal, I was intrigued to say the least. Unfortunately, I have no interest in the other parts of the Orange Box, and I'm not ready to spend $50+ for a piece of software that has been reviewed as "great but too short." I realize that the following is probably a poor facsimile, but a Flash version of Portal gives us cheap folks a chance to have some fun while waiting for the price to start dropping.

One of the levels has a sign that tells the story of some of the parts of the game (Caution: May cause frustration), but overall it's a fun thing to think in multiple dimensions. The one thing I miss is the voiceover from near the end of the Portal trailer "The next test is impossible."
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Portal is, frankly, worth the cover price on TBO alone. Plain and simple; TBO is Portal, plus TF2, plus some Half-Life thrown in.

Start playing Portal, and you will never cease to be amazed/amused by it. Not only is it a fabulous game, but atmospheric and darkly funny. Plus the Portal mapping scene is really starting to take off, so what you might initially think is just two hours (Yes, the main game is that short) is several more of insanely difficult puzzles that are incredibly gratifying to complete.

Unless you buy the 360 or PS3 versions. Hahah.

But seriously, all complaints about the price of TBO are pretty unjustified. The whole package, including one of the most insanely fun multiplayer games ever created, as well as the wonderful Half Life 2 story, and Portal is a lot greater value for money, more bang for the buck, than every other retail game that you've talked yourself into buying.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:I thought about posting this in a new thread, but decided that is was in some way relevant to the topic here.

I've never been a big fan of FPS games, but when I heard about Portal, I was intrigued to say the least. Unfortunately, I have no interest in the other parts of the Orange Box, and I'm not ready to spend $50+ for a piece of software that has been reviewed as "great but too short." I realize that the following is probably a poor facsimile, but a Flash version of Portal gives us cheap folks a chance to have some fun while waiting for the price to start dropping.
Valve sells the single games on Steam. Portal is $20. In fact I did buy Portal only. Have not regretted it ever since.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Nowhere near actual Portal. The Orange Box is one of the best values in retail in a very long time; you're doing yourself a favor by picking it up, fan of FPS or not. Half-Life is superb single-player, Portal is Portal, and TF2 is insanely fun if you ever decide to play FPSes.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.