May quotes
May 1

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Quote:May 1

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
Buddha
Sounds like L Ron Hubbard's directive in Scientology. No chance he borrowed that from Buddha, is there? :w00t:
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:May 1

Buddha

Theres got to be more to this. On it's own, that quote could be used to justify reasons for murder and other henious crimes against humanity; example of the jelous husband who just found out a man he knew had been banging his wife behind his back: "Buddah said to only listen to information of my heart and not what is written, such as the law, so I just knew that man had to die after he cheated with my wife - I read that someone somewhere else did that and it agrees with my own reasoning at this moment!"
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Theres got to be more to this. On it's own, that quote could be used to justify reasons for murder and other henious crimes against humanity; example of the jelous husband who just found out a man he knew had been banging his wife behind his back: "Buddah said to only listen to information of my heart and not what is written, such as the law, so I just knew that man had to die after he cheated with my wife - I read that someone somewhere else did that and it agrees with my own reasoning at this moment!"
You say that like it's a bad thing.

If someone is banging another man' wife, do you suggest he not start digging a grave for said someone, and perhaps hers as well?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hello, :w00t:

"I am talking a Crock of $hit", Socretes 429 BC :)

Quote:Crock of $hit :whistling:

1. An earthenware pot, brimming with smelly excrement.

2. Bull$hit, lies... deviations from the truth.

More politely known as "a pile of poo", the term "a crock of $hit" derives from an ancient Roman custom that coincidentally took place in Roman times.

It referred literally to a pot into which people would excrete if they were particularly bored by whichever freelance philosoper happened to be talking rubbish at the time. The Roman empire employed crock-monitors who were each assigned to a philosopher, and it was their job to monitor the pot (or crock).

Should the crock become full, it would be presented to the philospher, who was obliged, by law, to announce that it bore a remarkable resembence to himself, thus proclaiming he was full of crap and was, in fact, talking a crock of $hit.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
5/2/2008

The principal act of courage is to endure and withstand dangers doggedly rather than to attack them.

Saint Thomas Aquinas

Theres got to be more to this. On it's own, that quote could be used to justify reasons for murder and other henious crimes against humanity; example of the jelous husband who just found out a man he knew had been banging his wife behind his back: "Buddah said to only listen to information of my heart and not what is written, such as the law, so I just knew that man had to die after he cheated with my wife - I read that someone somewhere else did that and it agrees with my own reasoning at this moment!"

Nope, that's it. IHMO, the quote refers to gullibility. How many people believe something merely because the President, the minister/pastor/father/sister/mother/brother/district super/bishop/pope/cardinal/rector/vicker, the teacher/professor/educator, said it? At its essence, Buddha asks people to think about what is said, and analysis it, instead of merely accepting it. Of course that means you have to be willing to accept contrary evidence:)
Quote:Theres got to be more to this.
It is merely telling you to apply your own reasoning to your actions, not to believe what you read/hear, or do what other people tell you to do. It is the idea that "Truth" is elusive and must be pursued.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

5/3/2008

Everything that is done in the world is done by hope.
Martin Luther
Quote:5/3/2008

Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. --Martin Luther
"<Harrumph> Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness." -- The Architect from The Matrix
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:5/3/2008

Everything that is done in the world is done by hope.
Martin Luther
Hope is a busy girl. No, wait, Hope is five busy girls.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
5/04/2008

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.

Socrates
Quote:5/04/2008

Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.

Socrates
Be selective in the writings you choose to improve yourself from, as the writings of Marx ended up being the words of a false prophet. --Peter Spraezer--
In Memory of Pete
5/5/2008

Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit,
hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.

1 Peter 2:1
Quote:5/5/2008

Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 1 Peter 2:1
Of course, context within the letter is important. That sentence is the "what" conclusion, but the prior ones supply the "why"? It is also an important reference to the Christian notions of supplication to earthly authorities. The moral ethic of being above reproach in the eyes of the law imparts to those who follow it an equality with the non-Christians. It was far too easy for the Romans to squelch dissent by killing or locking them up. It is still a good notion for anyone who seeks to be a leader (or revolutionary leader), that one should be beyond reproach.

I think also Romans 12:14-18 offers up this moral attitude a nut shell, "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be conceited. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."

I see this as the call for humanity to look for empathy in all actions, and to be constantly willing to forgive injustices that other people perpetrate on you. So in other words, life often sucks, so try not to be the one who causes the suckiness, and understand the motives (however puerile) of those who do.

5/7/2008

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.

Joseph Stalin
Quote:5/7/2008

Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed. -- Joseph Stalin
Oh, my. We are quoting Stalin now. How about "Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." or "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.”.

Since your mind seems to be on education, what do you think of The Brown v. Board of Education Fraud -- Pop psychology masquerading as legal reasoning?

Hi,

When a white mans army battles Indians and wins, it is called a Great Victory, but if they Lose it is called a Massacre. -Chiksika, Shawnee ;)
Quote:Education is a weapon whose effects depend on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed.
Joseph Stalin

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
5/8/2008

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings.

Socrates
Quote:5/8/2008

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings.

Socrates
Birth and Death are just bookends with volumes of comedy, drama, and adventure in between. -- Me