May quotes
Quote:Eh, I think saying that he tries to offend is a bit too far on a judgemental side. As with most posts that seem to include a regular tongue-in-cheek or off-the-cuff type of a mood, I treat Occhi's comments much the way I would a friend who regularly goes for a rise out of us that know him simply because it gives us grins every now and then.

Cheers,
~Frag B)
Naw, he's an old pirate that might spit in yer eye or buy ya a beer depending on how crappy his day went. :D Now, anyone for a game of Rochambeau to see who's toughest?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Naw, he's an old pirate that might spit in yer eye or buy ya a beer depending on how crappy his day went. :D Now, anyone for a game of Rochambeau to see who's toughest?
Occhi is free to spit in my eye whenever he pleases, just so long as his spit twinkles.

:D
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote:Occhi is free to spit in my eye whenever he pleases, just so long as his spit twinkles.

:D
Sadly, I have the twinkly spit on back order. :( As I noted a few months back, trying to recover my sense of humor.

So, in a less nasty tone:

1. What's wrong with payback for being wronged?

2. Why must one play the victim in order to get (at best imperfect) justice from someone else, some imperfect and disinterested third party?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
5/15/2008

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney
Quote:5/15/2008

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney
My stalking/pursuit of Jennifer Love Hewitt would ultimately allow the dreams of a felon/bugger to come true at my rectum's expense, rather than any erotic dreams I might have of becoming her lover. (Oh, and my wife would kill me, so maybe the mortician's dreams of an increased business base is the dream that would really come true.:P)

Walt Disney is both dead, and dead wrong.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Yeah, I didn't realize I had done this one before until I saw your post;)
Quote:You don't read the forums much do you? He seems to aim to offend in most of his posts.
Really? Read all five thousand of them, did you?

Let's take a look at a few samples:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...=3191&hl=Easter

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...wtopic=2128&hl=

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index.p...wtopic=7434&hl=

Yeah, I am such an arsehole.

Quote:Future forum-goers beware; the word "moral" makes Occhi smell blood.
Zippy is absolutely correct. It is one of the most overused, and abused, terms in discussion, intended to load an argument with a strength it lacks on its own merits.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Zippy is absolutely correct. It is one of the most overused, and abused, terms in discussion, intended to load an argument with a strength it lacks on its own merits.
I can't tell if it's the first y, or the second y in my name that people have trouble with.
Quote:I can't tell if it's the first y, or the second y in my name that people have trouble with.
In my case, it was the second "y" that caused the trouble. I figure that the second "y" is as silent as the "q" in "bathtub" when Zippyy is spoken aloud. Given the way I post, which is the extension of the conversation going on between the voices in my head, I missed the second "y" that time.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:In my case, it was the second "y" that caused the trouble.
The first 'y' is a vowel, you know, but the second one is a consonant.
Hi,

Quote:The first 'y' is a vowel, you know, but the second one is a consonant.
And, sometimes, they cross-dress:)

-Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:And, sometimes, they cross-dress:)

-Pete
*snort* dang you made me get lemonade in my nose.

and AHA! If you are thinking that vowels cross-dress, then you must be using the signoff -Pete as an obscene .. uh .. thingie. Consider

ete

on its own. Look at it. LOOK AT IT! OBSCENE! You dirty FILTHMONGER!

But it gets worse! Right next to that obscenity you put

-P

OHMYGOD!! THIS IS A FAMILY FORUM!! Maybe a sick perverted psychologically-challenged family, yet still a family!

And it doesn't help that the "ete" is pronounced "eat". You degenerate! The sick sick SICK things you come up with, I can't imagine how anyone can be like that. Really.

-Van
Quote:Really? Read all five thousand of them, did you?
Actually, if we know the distribution, he would need a much smaller sample size than 5000. Heck, his claim only requires that 2776 posts of yours seem to aim to offend.

Or rather, that the probability of seeming to aim to offend P(STATO) exceeds .5.

P(STATO) > .5

While 100% confidence interval is Sn >= 2776, the 99% CI would be much lower.

But we have to know the distribution STATO follows. In your (Occhi's) case, it's pretty obvious that the Normal distribution does not apply. Fortunately, there's an easier distribution to use. For acerbic posters, STATO can be closely approximated by using the Poison distribution.*

This distribution is such that the mean level can be determined in just 3 posts, because of the tendency of meanness to be constant.

The 3 posts you provided, we assume, were not chosen randomly, so are therefore biased, so no point in even looking at them. We need to pick a random sample. Luckily with the Poison distribution, the randomness needed is to just use the first few posts that a forum reader happens to see.

-V

*This is similar to the Poisson distribution but is not as fishy and has more mean.
Hello :w00t:

What does your orifice, have to do with OUR wet dreams of Jennifer Love Hewitt ??? :P

Quote:My stalking/pursuit of Jennifer Love Hewitt...

would ultimately allow the dreams of a felon/bugger to come true at my rectum's expense

rather than any erotic dreams I might have of becoming her lover. (Oh, and my wife would kill me, so maybe the mortician's dreams of an increased business base is the dream that would really come true.:P)

Walt Disney is both dead, and dead wrong.

Occhi

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
5/16/2008

Action is the real measure of intelligence.

Napoleon Hill
Quote:Actually, if we know the distribution
Which you don't.
Quote:he would need a much smaller sample size than 5000. Heck, his claim only requires that 2776 posts of yours seem to aim to offend.
To offend whom? The average idiot or him?
Quote:Or rather, that the probability of seeming to aim to offend P(STATO) exceeds .5.
Nice move of the goalposts, and as such, the rest of your abuse of stats is flushed.
Quote:In your (Occhi's) case, it's pretty obvious that the Normal distribution does not apply.
Facts assumed in absence of bothering to do any work.
Quote:For acerbic posters, STATO can be closely approximated by using the Poison distribution.*
More erroneous assumptions, and your pre-bias due to faulty labeling is noted, not to mention you conveniently ignore the domains of time and temperment.

All in all, not even close. Figures lie and liars figure.

Go figure.

PS: Nice ps to kandarthe in that other post. *tips cap*

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Hello :w00t:

What does your orifice, have to do with OUR wet dreams of Jennifer Love Hewitt ??? :P
Depends upon your intentions and actions to bring those dreams to fruition, in which case you may offer your orifice in lieu of mine to posited felonious bugger in the Big House.

Greater love hath no man, and all that. :unsure:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
5/18/2008

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
Confucius
Hello ;)

Greater love hath no man ...> like BUBBA a felonious bugger in the Big House...is that the man [Image: icon14.gif]

Quote:Occhi, what was rule #1 in military service ?
#2 Never volunteer
#1 Don't drop the soap! [youtube video]
Quote:Depends upon your intentions and actions to bring those dreams to fruition, in which case you may offer your orifice in lieu of mine to posited felonious bugger in the Big House.

Greater love hath no man, and all that. :unsure:

Occhi

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
5/20/2008

Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth.
Margaret Thatcher