LL D3 Tourney
(06-12-2012, 12:06 AM)Gnollguy Wrote: Two questions.

1. Can we use the dye vendor? Or am I stuck with a hideous color scheme to keep good stats?
2. I assume we can't use the jewler (once unlocked) so that if we socket something it's like D2 and that gem is in the item forever. Just want to verify.

Haha, you may use the dye vendor, but no jeweler!
Also worth noting, as it wasn't something I was clear on, but pausing the game stops time ticking for your character in terms of time played. I was blocking out entire segments of time where I wasn't going to become hungry or need to bio just to be sure, so I thought people would want to know.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(06-12-2012, 12:34 AM)Frag Wrote: Also worth noting, as it wasn't something I was clear on, but pausing the game stops time ticking for your character in terms of time played. I was blocking out entire segments of time where I wasn't going to become hungry or need to bio just to be sure, so I thought people would want to know.

This is good to know. I've been playing in as short of bursts as possible and timing myself so that I know about where I am in my 5 hours. This will help if something does come up and it's not possible to log out at that moment.
Hi,

just a quick heads-up: I started to play with my wizard, even though he lacks crowd control and an escape skill. Especially the lack of crowd control combined with being squishy makes for a different playing experience (so far I had played a barb and a witch doctor with pets). Having to kite some mobs in Act I normal is fun! Smile

About two hours in, I'm level 10 (or 12? I forgot) and have just cleared the Misery Fields. I plan to do a more detailed write-up with a couple of screenshots when I hit the 5 hour mark, which I hope to achieve until Friday (didn't have much time to play this week Sad ).

MonTy, I have sent you a friend request in-game - but now I wonder if this works across servers? I'm on the EU servers. Is there a way to see friend requests you sent out? Do you actually get a message if you try to befriend a player that doesn't exist?

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
I've only played a little barb so far up through Skeleton King, but I have to say I really like the added pressure of time limit. I'm taking Monty's approach and trying to speed through as much as one can in a full-clear, albeit I have not broken the habit of picking up gold and random items to sell yet. (I really should...) Anyway there's no playing super defensive "lure enemies in chokepoints" kind of thing until I absolutely need it. (Probably in nightmare.) This helps keep normal exciting at least when you leap into a huge mess of monsters and mess them up.
(06-12-2012, 11:06 AM)Kylearan Wrote: MonTy, I have sent you a friend request in-game - but now I wonder if this works across servers? I'm on the EU servers. Is there a way to see friend requests you sent out? Do you actually get a message if you try to befriend a player that doesn't exist?

-Kylearan

You do get an error message if the battletag doesn't exist. I typo'd one of a buddy of mine's and it threw the error. The cross server stuff is a little strange. You won't actually see them or be able to talk to them if you're on EU and the other person is on the American or Asian server. You will see them show as online when you're both on the same server though. I simply do not remember though how the requests are handled. I don't remember if Gnu and Tarabulus sent the invites when they were on EU servers or when they were forced to hop onto the American servers one night.

Edit: Oh, and no, there's no way to find out what friend requests you've already sent. However, it does give you a nice error message if you send out another request to someone you've already friended. Wink
Intolerant monkey.
(06-12-2012, 01:11 PM)Treesh Wrote: I don't remember if Gnu and Tarabulus sent the invites when they were on EU servers or when they were forced to hop onto the American servers one night.

If memory serves, you only see friend requests for the region you currently play in. I'm pretty sure I received most Lurker requests the one time I hopped onto the US servers because European ones where down.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(06-12-2012, 01:11 PM)Treesh Wrote: I don't remember if Gnu and Tarabulus sent the invites when they were on EU servers or when they were forced to hop onto the American servers one night.

I saw Foxbat's request one day when I hopped on the EU servers.
--Mav
Finished with the Wizard for the week:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wi...hVX!cYZcba

[Image: HC_WIZ_19_scaled.jpg]

Dinged 19 with a kill of Maghda right at the 5 hour mark. Feeling a bit squishy as I get deeper into Act 2. Had some VERY close calls during the last hour or so of play. Will have to be more careful!

Helped a bit that I've played a Wizard up to 52 (so far) in softcore, so I knew what the class toolbox was about.

Will probably play up the Barb next.
First week is finished. Rescued Adria and leveled to 19.5 with 15 minutes to spare. Think I'll just stockpile the extra time for next week.

So far the only thing I'm worried about going forward is Waller as DH doesn't have any ability that can directly counter that. Most other problematic mods I should have a reasonable counter for. I will lament the loss of Twin Chakram however. Luckily I don't need to worry about that for a good while.
(06-13-2012, 10:11 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: I will lament the loss of Twin Chakram however. Luckily I don't need to worry about that for a good while.

Yeah, Twin Chakram is just insanely fun. (My first SC toon was a DH.)

I'm just slow, as I knew I would be, so I got two level 13s. Of course, I didn't know you just had to clear the map, not all the objects, either. Oh well, I don't like to rush. I just signed on so Monty would make me a couple random builds. I know I could click the gem myself, but, it's not the same somehow.
--Mav
And now my Level 10 Witch Doctor is dead. I have no concept of how to play that character. Zombie dogs sucked, spiders didn't seem to have enough damage, and my drops sucked.

I've got my Demon Hunter left. $5 says I'm out of this tourney by next week. Smile
Kylearan Wrote:MonTy, I have sent you a friend request in-game - but now I wonder if this works across servers?
Don't think so, haven't seen it. Just shoot me a message on your character's levels when ever you want (I understand you're taking it more casual, so no rush).

FoxBat Wrote:...albeit I have not broken the habit of picking up gold and random items to sell yet. (I really should...)
Yea it's a tough habit to break, but it really helps with your time. Then again I have a feeling time won't be the problem with this tourney-staying alive will, so at least your gold will carry over to future HC chars ;)

Apostolic Wrote:Finished with the Wizard for the week:
Nice progress- how are the skills and gear going for you? I found Electrocute to be so underwhelming, but I didn't get to try it long before my Wizard bit the dust. What's funny is that the randomly assigned passives actually seem decent for you, even though you're allowed to pick any passive skills.

Chesspiece_face Wrote:So far the only thing I'm worried about going forward is Waller as DH doesn't have any ability that can directly counter that.

Yea once I hit level 20 I got locked into my pre-assigned skills, and it was an insane switch. Really miss vault as I don't have any real escape abilities, even semi-fast enemies are nipping at me already, so I'm relying on Shadow Power and Evasive Fire (man I'm disappointed with Evasive Fire). On the other hand I love strafe and elemental arrow! Got to level 21 with 4:30 minutes clocked in (knew I couldn't clear Dahlgur Oasis in time so I stopped).
(06-14-2012, 02:24 AM)MonTy Wrote: Yea once I hit level 20 I got locked into my pre-assigned skills, and it was an insane switch. Really miss vault as I don't have any real escape abilities, even semi-fast enemies are nipping at me already, so I'm relying on Shadow Power and Evasive Fire (man I'm disappointed with Evasive Fire). On the other hand I love strafe and elemental arrow! Got to level 21 with 4:30 minutes clocked in (knew I couldn't clear Dahlgur Oasis in time so I stopped).

I get to keep Vault until 30 which will be nice. After that I will have to rely on Smoke Screen. Which is unbelievably powerful, but I'm going to have to find a way to maximize my Discipline. I've got a couple of ideas of how to manage this but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Chakram on the other hand is ridiculously powerful right now and I fear that once I have to lock in Boomerang it will become much more difficult to utilize. We shall see.
Barbarian, dead.... level 10. Got trapped by an elite tree and two normal trees with no way to get past them out of the poison.
(06-14-2012, 02:58 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: Chakram on the other hand is ridiculously powerful right now and I fear that once I have to lock in Boomerang it will become much more difficult to utilize. We shall see.

Twin Chakrams is quite fun, but, imo, the most OP skill in that slot is Ball Lightning. Who needs Multishot when this just burns whole packs at once. I just got a 47 massive blow using Ball Lightning on my SC DH. Tongue
--Mav
Week 2 begins- good luck with Act 2 (seems like most of you are on it).

In other news this tournament has been a bridge that I've crossed for playing more Hardcore in general. Really having a tough time going back to my Softcore toons after getting into this :P
My monk his 17 and finished Act 1 last night, with an hour to spare. Minor weapon upgrades dropped like rain (an average of 2 every level from 10 on, I think?), as did +experience. I'm really really not going to like when I get Inner Peace, though. There's 3 great defensive skills, some non-tourney builds include every one of them. I got the 4th skill.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I finished up for the week with my wizard hitting level 17 and beating the Butcher. I'm loaded up on magic find and +experience gear so I feel like I've been finding some pretty good stuff to keep things rolling, for now! I only really had two close calls in Act 1: The first was when my wife turned on her computer causing me to get booted from the server mid-battle (I really need to figure out why that sometimes happens), the second was when I chased a treasure goblin past about 50 mobs so I could kill it, then I had to kill the 50 mobs before they killed me. Big Grin

So far it's been pretty fun!
-TheDragoon
RIP for my Witch Doctor. Ran into one of those enclosures in one of the Highlands. There must have been a pack of 20 mobs in there, including an elite pack. My build at that moment didn't really have much in the way of good AoE, so I started kiting, but, I went the wrong way, and found a Savage Beast elite pack. Couple charges later, the stuns left me in the middle of the group of khazra, and it was curtains. Big Grin

Down to the Monk now. We'll see how long she lasts. I like her build a lot better. The WD was the class I had the least experience with anyway.
--Mav