LL D3 Tourney
I love Ray of Frost, and you have easily the best Rune for it. Fantastic spell. Explosive Blast, however, is pretty pants. Basically, every possible thing is wrong with the spell. Arguably the single worst spell the Wizard has.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(06-08-2012, 10:49 PM)Elric of Grans Wrote: I love Ray of Frost, and you have easily the best Rune for it. Fantastic spell. Explosive Blast, however, is pretty pants. Basically, every possible thing is wrong with the spell. Arguably the single worst spell the Wizard has.

For practical purposes, I'd take it over Energy Twister. At least you know exactly where the damage is going to be delivered.

But, yes, at least Monty has a "cold" theme going on with Ray of Frost and Comet. Cold Blooded would seem to be a natural passive to use with that build.
I've got a DH with the Hatred builder of Entangling Shot. It's going to be interesting.
--Mav
(06-08-2012, 11:27 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I've got a DH with the Hatred builder of Entangling Shot. It's going to be interesting.

This no vendor rule is serious business. I'm stutter stepping like I've never done before, for mobs and barrels alike. Trying to go as fast as possible while full clearing.

I'm also updating the rules to allow a rare to be brought if you happen upon a special vendor. This is because the vendor takes place of the event that could spawn in the map. You're only allowed to buy the rare, no magic items (all of the magic items would be too big of an upgrade, but the chance of a rare dropping in an event seems almost the same as the chance of a special vendor having a rare).

Lastly, if you happen to disconnect/crash while playing a zone you've partially cleared, just try your best estimate and clear the original remaining amount. You don't have to fully reclear.
So I went to translate.google.com and put tournament into the english and randomly picked languages to translate it to to get my 3 toons. I had thought about just doing something like LLTourneyToon but decided these names gave a little more flair while still being descriptive. So for anyone that wants to follow my progress I present to you...

Giaidau - Female Wizard (Vietnamese, it's missing lots of the accents of course)
Kampjonat - Male Monk (Maltese)
Turnuva - Female Witch Doctor (Turkish)

I do hope to journal some of the adventures and share them with you all.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I'm really just using this as an excuse to do builds I most likely wouldn't try if I picked them. I might figure out applications of same that I hadn't thought of, after all. Big Grin
--Mav
Finished up my first toon, here's some pictures:
[Image: Week1Stats.jpg]
[Image: Week1Final.jpg]

Things have gone pretty easy, I assume the same will not be said of the monk. I recorded the entire session (all 5 hours), but it took up nearly my entire hard drive, so I nuked it. If people are interested (for some reason well beyond what I'm aware of) in seeing my play. I can do 2-3ish hours worth of recording and uploading. I would assume certain fights would be more interesting than the tedium of clearing everything while avoiding picking up gold & gear Big Grin

Lemme know.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(06-04-2012, 03:54 AM)MonTy Wrote: [*]You'll be assigned three characters from the start. Each character has a weekly play limit of five hours. Total allowed playtime accumulates, so if we're in the third week each of your heroes can have up to 15 hours of total play time.

So dumb question. How do you find the time played for just a character? I know how to find for a class, and how to find it on my dead HC toons, but I don't see anything per (living) toon.
---
(06-08-2012, 11:27 PM)Mavfin Wrote: I've got a DH with the Hatred builder of Entangling Shot. It's going to be interesting.

Personally, I think all the Hatred builders are a bit naff --- I change every day because I do not like them --- but have used Entangling Shot the most. Crappy Rune, but such a high level you have a long time where you get to pick... among other, equally crappy Runes. In Normal and Nightmare, it is quite a solid option.
(06-09-2012, 02:15 AM)Gnollguy Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 03:54 AM)MonTy Wrote: [*]You'll be assigned three characters from the start. Each character has a weekly play limit of five hours. Total allowed playtime accumulates, so if we're in the third week each of your heroes can have up to 15 hours of total play time.

So dumb question. How do you find the time played for just a character? I know how to find for a class, and how to find it on my dead HC toons, but I don't see anything per (living) toon.

At the character selection screen, it shows the character's playtime. (The screen with all the characters down the side, not the individual character's screen.) Click on a character, and it will show its played time over to the right.

(06-09-2012, 02:28 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote:

Personally, I think all the Hatred builders are a bit naff --- I change every day because I do not like them --- but have used Entangling Shot the most. Crappy Rune, but such a high level you have a long time where you get to pick... among other, equally crappy Runes. In Normal and Nightmare, it is quite a solid option.

I have used Entangling quite a bit, but, always along with either Bola Shot or Hungering Arrow. Never used it as my primary or (in this case) only Hatred generator. I think Hungering is the best overall of the builders, though. Piercing, guided arrows? Sign me up.
--Mav
I used Entangling Shot (Chain Gang) quite a bit, for the CC aspects. I'm currently using Evasive Fire( covering Fire) as my primary Hatred generator and haven't looked back.

Edit: Covering Fire is the "fire three shots" runs, right?
Yup, Covering Fire.
First death? :P I hadn't done the Crumbling Vault Act II random encounter yet and it tossed my Wizard around. I stood at the entrance for a good minute, talked to the guy a few times, changed one skill on my hotbar and jumped in, only to never come out.

This was my first hardcore character past level 13, and man was it a exhilarating. The ruleset of this tourney definitely made it challenging and a ton of fun- look forward to trying my other characters, but felt Wizard was my best shot.

I really grew to like Ray of Frost, especially Snow Blast which helped me melt single targets once I could focus fire on them. Electrocute felt pretty tame, and was sad I had to replace Shock Pulse with it. Slow Time and Ice Armor were both super helpful and used quite frequently. That left me with one skill slot which wasn't locked yet (Meteor), so I switched between using Diamond Skin and Wave of Force.

I definitely had a bad feeling entering the dungeon, considering I hadn't been in it before and saw it was timed. The level itself had a ton of mobs and narrow passages, so I got stuck on a corner, surrounded, and my cooldowns were not quite there. Up to that point I hadn't come close to death, but fights were certainly challenging. Hopefully my next characters fare better ;)
Hi,

(06-09-2012, 04:22 AM)MonTy Wrote: I definitely had a bad feeling entering the dungeon, considering I hadn't been in it before and saw it was timed.

I hope you knew that timed dungeons won't kill you in hardcore, you only fail the event. I had the same encounter with my main character, a hardcore witch doctor, and googled it up before entering. And when I was in, I suddenly remembered how often internet forums have been wrong before... luckily, they got it right that time, I failed the event, and still live. Smile

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Yes, I've failed the event and lived in hardcore as well.

MonTy, for future reference, until you got Meteor, you should have used some sort of AOE spell like Arcane Orb. It seemed like without it, you'd be stuck single targeting everything down, which would have been very difficult.
(06-09-2012, 02:15 AM)Gnollguy Wrote:

It amuses me that I answered that question 7m before you posted it. Big Grin
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Kylearan Wrote:I hope you knew that timed dungeons won't kill you in hardcore, you only fail the event.

I had a feeling it wouldn't actually kill you (would have heard about it), but got into danger trying to complete it. As MongoJerry pointed out I needed more AoE (only had Wave of Force/Electrocute), which you figure after playing years of Median XL would be engraved into my brain :P previous to the event I thought about using Arcane Orb several times, but felt it would have just replaced my main attacks too easily and I wanted to stick with the preassigned skills as close as possible.

*edit - Also wanted to ask that if anyone uses character names beyond the obvious labeling (example, Frag's LLHeroThree), to let me know or post the names.
(06-09-2012, 11:46 AM)Frag Wrote: It amuses me that I answered that question 7m before you posted it. :D

I can't blame him for not wanting to stare long at your screenshot. It's as if your Demon Hunter has a crush with Orlando Bloom playing Legolas in Lord of the Rings :P
I'll start up today. My character names will be (Pesmerga at least should get the references!):

1 - Demon Hunter) SharmistaLL
2 - Wizard) ZeraseLL
3 - Monk) NikeaLL
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
(06-09-2012, 01:25 PM)MonTy Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 11:46 AM)Frag Wrote: It amuses me that I answered that question 7m before you posted it. Big Grin

I can't blame him for not wanting to stare long at your screenshot. It's as if your Demon Hunter has a crush with Orlando Bloom playing Legolas in Lord of the Rings Tongue

That and that post wasn't there when I went to make mine.

Of course that's also a screen I never look at. If I change out a hero I just click the name on the left in the list and then go. I actually wondered why he had put that screen in the post to be honest when I saw it and even after his and Mav's reply it still took me a good minute to see it on that screen shot anyway.

I admit that some details escape me.
---