LL D3 Tourney
(06-04-2012, 07:52 PM)MonTy Wrote: Mongojerry, regarding no buying from vendors. I was hesitant to include this rule but it ensures your shared gold stash won't aid you in this tournament, since all your buying is potions and repairing. I agree that rings are the number one benefit from vendors and are a huge help, but in the end I feel it'll create even more of a challenge which is what I want this tournament to be. I hope you'll play in it!

I'm definitely in. However, this vendors worry is really a non-issue, since the gold that the characters make will easily out-strip the gold amount that they spend on the vendors. These characters will be money makers, not money losers. Remember, they won't be upgrading their jewelcrafters and blacksmiths, crafting items, buying things on the auction house, or buying much if any stash space.

Quote:I cannot recall ever buying a ring/amulet from a vendor. You get them a little later, but the drops have always (in my experience) been better. In fact, I have found the vendors utterly useless; I certainly would not consider it a handicap.

Wow, you really need to check the fence in town more often, I think. The vendor rings and amulets have always been a staple of mine, and I have yet to find ring or amulet drops -- even rare ones -- that beat the vendor rings and amulets. Vendor ones with +damage plus int and vitality are my favorite, although ones with +attack speed and vitality are nice as well. On occation, when I get to a new difficulty, I'll end up replacing some of my weaker armor pieces with vendor items until I find or craft something better along the way. But the rings and amulets from the fences are especially good.

Quote:Sure, I'm in, but a time restriction or something seems appropriate, otherwise the people w/o jobs are just going to pubstomp us working/familial types

This might not be as big of an issue as you may think because of the restriction of not being able to rerun zones. Normally, those with extra time on their hands could benefit from farming zones to get better gear, but this restriction pretty much removes that possibility.

Of course, the $1 million prize for winning the tournament may cause people to cheat on this restriction.

Oh, wait.
(06-05-2012, 12:36 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: Wow, you really need to check the fence in town more often, I think. The vendor rings and amulets have always been a staple of mine, and I have yet to find ring or amulet drops -- even rare ones -- that beat the vendor rings and amulets. Vendor ones with +damage plus int and vitality are my favorite, although ones with +attack speed and vitality are nice as well. On occation, when I get to a new difficulty, I'll end up replacing some of my weaker armor pieces with vendor items until I find or craft something better along the way. But the rings and amulets from the fences are especially good.

I always check him (since he has bows too). Rings are the one thing I seem to have had a lot of luck with. My Demon Hunter is still using one from Normal difficulty:

+5-10 Damage
+14 Strength
+79 Vitality
+14 Poison Resistance
+11% Extra Gold from Monsters
Socketed (1)

The Socket is probably the biggest thing. It means I always have a top-gem in there in addition to its other rather nice stats. clvl requirement of 31, and I am yet to see anything that beats it. My other ring is even better, but clvl requirement of 50 (Diablo dropped it in Nightmare). I have not once seen the fence offer something that improved life, damage OR protection over this one.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
No doubt that's a pretty impressive ring. I have seen the fence in hell beat it, but for level 31, that's very nice. I don't think that would equate to general experience, though, because I've sadly had to level up my character repeatedly up to hell difficulty and never found a ring or amulet like that as a drop.
(06-05-2012, 05:25 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: No doubt that's a pretty impressive ring. I have seen the fence in hell beat it, but for level 31, that's very nice. I don't think that would equate to general experience, though, because I've sadly had to level up my character repeatedly up to hell difficulty and never found a ring or amulet like that as a drop.

Farming Inferno seems to be where the best rings and amulets drop, and even then the base drops are scarce (let alone getting anything usable). Still, I found a semi-decent Ring (Socketed, +75 Vit, +14% IAS) that may just take the place of my 7-14 damage, 13% IAS rings I bought off a Vendor sometime in Nightmare or Hell (forget which). I gain ~2k life and lose ~250 DPS, but I'm hoping a Perfect Square or Radiant Square Emerald will offset that (either partially or completely). Too busy trying to buy up half a million in upgrades off the AH, though, so I can't combine up my gems to find out (I'd prefer to go straight to Radiant Square, rather than just try one of my Perfect Square I have lying around).

/offtopic
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I had a bit of an auspicious warm-up as I made a hardcore character to mess around with a bit (wanted to try out some skills I hadn't played with very much). She made it to level 9, then I DC'd while fighting a single skeleton and logged back into the game to see a dead monk. Sad
-TheDragoon
If it helps any, that skeleton is now considered an absolute pimp amongst skeleton kind.
Tomorrow I'll send out messages to everyone who showed interest and Friday morning I'll start rolling the characters. Will update post with the results!

Anyone else up to the challenge? I don't see a reason to put a time limit on sign ups, so I'll keep it open if anyone wants to change their mind in the coming weeks.
Builds have been posted for the Lurkers that have signed up so far. Check out the root post. Good luck to you- some will certainly need it Tongue Would be awesome if any of the players post a write up from time to time on their characters, I'll try my best to, assuming I won't get killed before level 5. Also, players, send me a screenshot of any unique/set items that you find. Lastly, don't forget to add me as Monty#1150.

So, who got the best and worst builds?
If it's not too late, I'd love to throw in here and at least let you pick me some builds. I'm sure I won't win or anything, as I'm not that competitive with things, and I know I can't outplay Frag. Tongue
--Mav
(06-08-2012, 05:38 AM)Mavfin Wrote: If it's not too late, I'd love to throw in here and at least let you pick me some builds. I'm sure I won't win or anything, as I'm not that competitive with things, and I know I can't outplay Frag. Tongue

It's no problem at all, anyone is welcome to join at any time. Glad you're giving it a go- I just updated the post with your builds.
Quick question: If the skill becomes available to you, but the rune you have been assigned has not, do you still need to use the skill? Or, is it open season until the correct rune becomes available?
(06-08-2012, 07:49 AM)MongoJerry Wrote: Quick question: If the skill becomes available to you, but the rune you have been assigned has not, do you still need to use the skill? Or, is it open season until the correct rune becomes available?

I'm using the skill with whatever rune I want that is available till the proper rune comes up, myself.

Otherwise, on two out of three characters, I'd be totally unrestricted till after 30, more or less, and I didn't figure that was the spirit of the tourney. YMMV, and/or Monty may have another intent, of course. Big Grin
--Mav
(06-08-2012, 08:02 AM)Mavfin Wrote: I'm using the skill with whatever rune I want that is available till the proper rune comes up, myself.

Otherwise, on two out of three characters, I'd be totally unrestricted till after 30, more or less, and I didn't figure that was the spirit of the tourney. YMMV, of course. Big Grin

I assumed so, too, but I thought it should be stated explicitly.

A no pets hardcore witchdoctor, eh? Challenge accepted!
Hi,

are all followers allowed? Can we skill them as we like?

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
(06-08-2012, 08:11 AM)Kylearan Wrote: are all followers allowed? Can we skill them as we like?
Yes, they are unrestricted. Use as you'd like!

Mavfin Wrote:I'm using the skill with whatever rune I want that is available till the proper rune comes up, myself.
You have it correct
Good luck everyone!
I'll be cheering from the sides as I already have one HC challenge that I'm desperately trying to not die in.
(06-08-2012, 05:30 AM)MonTy Wrote: So, who got the best and worst builds?

I haven't looked at any other builds but my three, but if I'm not stupid I should be able to get that monk into Hell difficulty and get to the required rune on cyclone strike. It doesn't have the best escape skills but it does have some ability to attack from range if I'm nimble enough and with being able to choose my passives I can still have some solid defense as needed.

I have decided, at least with the monk, to force myself to use the highest level rune available on each skill until I end up with the one selected for the skill too. I know that wasn't a rule, but since all my "base" skills are unlocked by L19 and some builds may not even have all their base skills open until 30 I just think it will be more interesting. I'll get a lot of time with the build too because with the exception of cyclone strike I'll be locked in at L34 to the other slots.

The witch doctor I got will be interesting since I'm just not sure about a HC witch doctor without spirit walk. Smile I did get some decent CC options but not a ton of damage. We'll see. Smile

I'm not sure how to evaluate my wizard build as I haven't played one since a very old version of the beta (before skill runes were they way they are now).

Looking forward to all this though, I'm trying to remember if I have 3 open toon slots at the moment though. Smile
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
BTW, when's the first 'week' end. A week from the posting of the first builds?
--Mav
(06-08-2012, 04:03 PM)Mavfin Wrote: BTW, when's the first 'week' end. A week from the posting of the first builds?

Yep, so next Friday, June 15th. If you're in a middle of a quest don't worry about an additional 15-20 minutes for one week, you can always even it out for next week. Don't want people straight up quitting at five hour mark if they're close to their quest completion.
(06-08-2012, 02:26 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I haven't looked at any other builds but my three, but if I'm not stupid I should be able to get that monk into Hell difficulty and get to the required rune on cyclone strike.

Yea, definitely seems like a decent roll for your monk. I'm playing my Wizard first and it's an OK skill set. I'm not a huge fan of Ray type spells, but it's decent single target damage combined with a slow effect. I like slow time along with Meteor, but I have no idea how explosive blast is. But I have it make it there first, already had a scare with two champion scavenger packs that surrounded me (I was like lvl 7).