Shiny Prizes
(06-23-2012, 03:09 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: Eh? I just do not get the Auction House. People sell things for crazy money; I cannot seem to sell anything. Had some melee weapons drop with 7-800 DPS, and over 100 to Str/Vit and some other things. Listed them for 2K. No sale. Had some armour drop, over 100 to Str/Vit and about 20 Resist All and reduced level requirement (down to 48). Listed for 2K. No sale. I thought they were bargains!

List them for 2 million each so that they sound "exclusive."
(06-23-2012, 03:09 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: Eh? I just do not get the Auction House. People sell things for crazy money; I cannot seem to sell anything. Had some melee weapons drop with 7-800 DPS, and over 100 to Str/Vit and some other things. Listed them for 2K. No sale. Had some armour drop, over 100 to Str/Vit and about 20 Resist All and reduced level requirement (down to 48). Listed for 2K. No sale. I thought they were bargains!

I got kinda lucky. The starting bid was 950k (average price of worse rings was around there) and the 4 mil was sort of a troll price, that I assumed that nobody would take. I guess I was wrong.

Were the weapons 2 handed? Those usually aren't in demand. People usually desire attack speed, critical hit, double resists (all res+ some other res), or a focus on someone's primary state (+180 int for wizards for example). Demon Hunters want critical hit damage, since they have a skill that already gives them guaranteed critical hits-- so getting to know the classes and what they want helps.

Also as a sort of irony, many people filter by buyout, and it's weird but listing too low of a price makes it get overlooked under the buried mess.

Anything that lets your item stand out (higher defense ratings, or + defense ratings on jewelry) help a ton because they appear higher on the listings. The average player on softcore desires bigger numbers, particularly anything that boosts DPS.

The best way to sell is to search for items that contain similar mods and filter by buyout. If you see nothing listed that matches your item for 50k, then rest assured you can sell it for more. Then try it with 100k. If you notice everything in the 100k range trounces your item, then you know you can't really go higher than that. So go back down to 60-70k. It's not guaranteed to work, but remember, quality is relative. If you're willing to sell items of a similar quality for a little cheaper, then your item will look very desirable. So basically, try to rip people off a little less. Wink Your goal is to be the best in a certain price range and niche.

Also, for sub-60 gear, do not set it to no buyout or a rather high one. People in that range want the item now, and may soon outgrow the stuff 36 hours later.

I often have many dud sales, where 9/10 things don't sell at times. But it's best to find something to do with stuff you aren't using. Either give it to someone, reserve it for a new character, or vendor it if it really won't sell. The more in motion your stuff is, the more the items you find get used in some way, the more productive you'll get. Just keep pushing stuff on the AH. Also consider melting down junk l60 blues/yellows and sell essences en masse to the AH for 2000 gold a pop.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I have received my shiniest prize of all within the past few days. My hardcore toon had the "Born's Aegis" recipe drop. A level 20 2 piece leveling set. Sells like hotcakes. My HC toons will want for nothing before 60s.
MaxPower#1485 60 SC Barb/32 HC Witch Doctor/22 HC Wizard/17 HC Demon Hunter
As I've mentioned, most of my rares actually get sold on the auction house for a lot less than I could probably sell them for, but for more than I could vendor them for. Maybe they just get salvaged down into dust.

Every rare I put up starts with an opening bid that's a 25% markup on the vendor price to score me a little profit even after the 15% cut. The buyout is 50% higher than the opening bid but is still typically less than the multiple-thousand buyouts I've seen for lesser items on the auction house. I rarely sell anything on a bid. It's a steady income to be sure.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(06-23-2012, 02:30 PM)NotSoDarklord Wrote: I have received my shiniest prize of all within the past few days. My hardcore toon had the "Born's Aegis" recipe drop. A level 20 2 piece leveling set. Sells like hotcakes. My HC toons will want for nothing before 60s.

Nice, the gift that keeps on giving. Grats!
(06-23-2012, 02:49 PM)NiteFox Wrote: Every rare I put up starts with an opening bid that's a 25% markup on the vendor price to score me a little profit even after the 15% cut.

This reminds me. The default sell price really ought to be the vendor price + 15%. Doesn't make much sense to have a default otherwise.
Thanks for the tips, Archon. Sold my first item following them. DPS ring (I prefer defensive stats): +dex, +int, IAS, +crit, all pretty good numbers. Got 100K for it, which I promptly blew on upgrading Gems Big Grin
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I forgot to take screenshot, but sold a 3 crit chance/30 crit damage, socketed ring with some poison resist for 5 million. My Diablo 3 career is made from overpricing rings. :p
(06-23-2012, 03:37 PM)MonTy Wrote:
(06-23-2012, 02:30 PM)NotSoDarklord Wrote: I have received my shiniest prize of all within the past few days. My hardcore toon had the "Born's Aegis" recipe drop. A level 20 2 piece leveling set. Sells like hotcakes. My HC toons will want for nothing before 60s.

Nice, the gift that keeps on giving. Grats!

Yeah, I just got "Bitterness" on my account last night. Pattern for a level 31 requirement legendary mojo. I can sell them very well, so I just roll one when I get the mats (50 essence, a couple eyes, and 4 pages, I think) gathered in the course of normal play. And, my WD was just the right level to use the best of the first two I made. Big Grin
--Mav
[Image: knightfeast.jpg]

Found this while running through the halls of agony. It's notable because it's a significant upgrade I didn't have to AH. Tongue (Was monking with a 800 DPS blue dagger socketed with +300 LoH before.) Also seems to be worth several mil which is much more than anything I currently have. I tried looking on the RMAH and I see such strange price ranges from $20 to $200 for similar stats. Can't make heads or tails of it.
It's worth a lot thanks to the 618 LOH! It may go for more than several mil tbh. I see crappier and slower weapons selling for 8-9 million. Try doing the Dr. Evil thing when trying to ask for a price. If only the primary stat were higher, you could ask for the moon.

If you ever wanted to sell it, though using it is better, I would start at like 7 million starting bid.
That sword is crazy good and I am a little envious over here, frankly. Tongue If it had dropped for me, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to actually use it myself or sell it for a lot of coin and soldier on with what I've got.

This, on the other hand, I've no qualms about AHing because I'm not playing a DH on that particular server...

[Image: HwhcB.jpg]
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
(07-03-2012, 12:31 AM)MMAgCh Wrote: That sword is crazy good and I am a little envious over here, frankly. Tongue If it had dropped for me, I'd have a hard time deciding whether to actually use it myself or sell it for a lot of coin and soldier on with what I've got.

This, on the other hand, I've no qualms about AHing because I'm not playing a DH on that particular server...

[Image: HwhcB.jpg]

If only I had the money to buy that. My DH would LOVE such a thing.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(07-03-2012, 01:23 AM)Roland Wrote: If only I had the money to buy that. My DH would LOVE such a thing.

My pal Lyndon would be also rather happy, I imagine (he'd sell it behind my back because of the lack of dex... What a scoundrel!).

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
This 'trash' drop from farming Inferno Act1 made my 46 barbarian alternate character very happy.

[Image: 8tYug.png]

I've checked the AH several times, and its 220 dps higher than the next best weapon you can get at 42.
(07-06-2012, 12:45 PM)Yricyn Wrote: I've checked the AH several times, and its 220 dps higher than the next best weapon you can get at 42.

That's one steep level reduction!

Speaking of steep, I went to look up the value of a book that dropped from some goat bosses in Act 3:

[Image: craftedmail.jpg]

This might be my last good drop ever, since I can surely afford enough gear now to get four other softcore classes past Inferno.
(07-06-2012, 05:38 PM)FoxBat Wrote: This might be my last good drop ever, since I can surely afford enough gear now to get four other softcore classes past Inferno.

This is everything that is wrong with the AH in a nutshell. When the response to a rare crafting drop is "Great, now I can afford to buy OP gear to get my characters through inferno" and not "Cool, I wonder what I can make with this?" that is .. a bit sad, really.
(07-08-2012, 04:08 PM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: This is everything that is wrong with the AH in a nutshell. When the response to a rare crafting drop is "Great, now I can afford to buy OP gear to get my characters through inferno" and not "Cool, I wonder what I can make with this?" that is .. a bit sad, really.

The only thing I could "make" with this recipe is tons of items to sell on the AH just to break even while gambling for a useful set of mods. I guess that is just expanding your point...

I dunno, I'm OK with getting excited for valuable drops I can't/won't use. I might just be used to it from Guild Wars where there were no real BoPs and I traded tons of alternate currency to get what I want. Never trusted luck so I sold random presents rather than opening them.

13M is not going to get you particularly overpowered stuff split among 4 toons... but then yeah twinking does feel a little cheesy, not sure how I will handle it. But crafting all your toons armor from an A3 recipie isn't all that different.
(07-08-2012, 04:08 PM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote:
(07-06-2012, 05:38 PM)FoxBat Wrote: This might be my last good drop ever, since I can surely afford enough gear now to get four other softcore classes past Inferno.

This is everything that is wrong with the AH in a nutshell. When the response to a rare crafting drop is "Great, now I can afford to buy OP gear to get my characters through inferno" and not "Cool, I wonder what I can make with this?" that is .. a bit sad, really.

Why is it sad? You have something you don't want but others need, and thus you trade to get what you need. It's inevitable that most of the usable items are better used by other people. This concept is not new to the series, except now it's streamlined. There's many things wrong with the game, but the AH, aside from the interface is by and far the best designed part of the game. (Maybe that's sad though)

Also, the crafting is so random that you have to be insanely rich for it to be an effective investment.

Without the AH, I'd throw this game in the trash bin already. Then again my shiny prizes weren't very shiny themselves, the only thing shiny was the unusual amounts of gold people paid for them. Wink

So, <3 the AH.
Haven't found Jack in Legendary's, unless you count the Staff of Herding Pattern and a couple of the mats for it.

On items, i've not even see a Yellow item drop from an elite for a long time, always blue's and i have 30% magic find?, Am i just having really bad luck or is there something wrong with the drop rate?

Mid 50's now, so perhaps it's something that happens then?