Shiny Prizes
In general the rule is to just salvage ilvl 61+ items. Jewelry and follower items can be 60.

Wishful is a bit sketchier. I think it starts at 52 and 1 less for jewelry. I only bother with Hell essences in hardcore.

As for shiny prizes, I found a 6 property plan in Act 4 Inferno:
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff247...hot113.jpg

Honestly, it was great, but I sold it on the AH for 3 mil and got myself a weapon, which is probably more reliable than trying to forge a belt.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(08-19-2012, 04:03 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: In general the rule is to just salvage ilvl 61+ items. Jewelry and follower items can be 60.

It is your general rule, not the general rule. If you don't want to use either AH, and you do want to play with the Blacksmith along the way, you'll need lower level mats as well.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(08-19-2012, 09:03 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: It is your general rule, not the general rule. If you don't want to use either AH, and you do want to play with the Blacksmith along the way, you'll need lower level mats as well.

I don't know whether it applies to Occhi's case (and your chart probably answers his question better) but I do think it's fair to say that people *in general* still playing D3 use the AH at least this much. Very fast to buy or sell mats as desired. It's certainly a rule that has much wider adoption than Archon_Wing.

Heck these days I don't even salvage all 61+s, the mats ain't worth what they used to be.
(08-19-2012, 10:39 AM)FoxBat Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 09:03 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: It is your general rule, not the general rule. If you don't want to use either AH, and you do want to play with the Blacksmith along the way, you'll need lower level mats as well.

I don't know whether it applies to Occhi's case (and your chart probably answers his question better) but I do think it's fair to say that people *in general* still playing D3 use the AH at least this much. Very fast to buy or sell mats as desired. It's certainly a rule that has much wider adoption than Archon_Wing.

Heck these days I don't even salvage all 61+s, the mats ain't worth what they used to be.

Sorry, but that is again a generalization of info you don't have. You can't know how many are "still playing", however frequently, and you don't know how many of those actually use either AH, whether for mats or equipment or both. It feels that must be the case because that is what you do, and probably those you play with. That is not everyone. The problem with such a generalization is the implication that it is the right way and, if you aren't doing that, you are wrong.

Can you tell this is a pet peeve? I hate it in real life, not just in gaming. Heck, one of the foundations of this site is D1 variants. They were not how people played *in general* but they certainly weren't wrong.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(08-19-2012, 09:03 AM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(08-19-2012, 04:03 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: In general the rule is to just salvage ilvl 61+ items. Jewelry and follower items can be 60.

It is your general rule, not the general rule. If you don't want to use either AH, and you do want to play with the Blacksmith along the way, you'll need lower level mats as well.

Ugh... no need to get so defensive. I never said you were "wrong". Of course, it came from as a "general rule" in my own experience. If you want to just ignore what I just said, feel free to do so. There's no law that says that you must salvage only those kinds of items. I'm not just providing information to you in particular-- this is a public thread and I don't know how each person plays. It's just that a lot of people who asked me want to know what's the bottom tier item for getting exquisite essences, and my rule of thumb guarantees that desired result. And I didn't just mention Inferno essences after all-- I talked about Wishful essences even though I rarely bother with them. Rest... answered already earlier.

You're getting mad at wording when I really could care less how everyone plays. I'm sure my play style isn't optimal, but I'm not gonna go "But that's how you play!" in response to their generalizations of gameplay. I'm not going to get much useful advice except from those that play like me if I act like that.
So I was in the Northern Highlands looking for a Scabbard of Talic the Defender, and somebody dropped an "I win" button.

[Image: mark.jpg]

It's been bid up to 38 million in the AH with another day left on the auction. I guess this is my "re-gear my WD after they nerf the pet procs in 1.04" fund.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this. Buying stuff from the AH when all I could afford was small upgrades over my current gear was working for me. Buying a complete new set of gear that trivialises the entire rest of the game doesn't seem like it will be fun.
(08-20-2012, 03:16 AM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: So I was in the Northern Highlands looking for a Scabbard of Talic the Defender, and somebody dropped an "I win" button.

It's been bid up to 38 million in the AH with another day left on the auction. I guess this is my "re-gear my WD after they nerf the pet procs in 1.04" fund.

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this. Buying stuff from the AH when all I could afford was small upgrades over my current gear was working for me. Buying a complete new set of gear that trivialises the entire rest of the game doesn't seem like it will be fun.

Nice find.

If you don't want to use it, and you feel having the gold makes them game unfun, what you can do is avoid the problem is to sell it on the real money auction house. I'm sure you can get about $50-60 (go check though). This way you can claim a prize without affecting your gameplay.
(08-20-2012, 03:16 AM)Jaffa Tamarin Wrote: So I was in the Northern Highlands looking for a Scabbard of Talic the Defender, and somebody dropped an "I win" button.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a low quality Mark. You won't actually get much at all for it. The dex is on the low end, the IAS is also on the low end (although only 7% cap), and Int is not that useful for an DH since this will only provide about 7% resist all. The crit, while nice, is also low end. The only bright spot is you did get max health regen for it.

Here's what Blizzard says a Natalya's Mark can have.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(08-20-2012, 05:50 PM)Lissa Wrote: Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a low quality Mark. You won't actually get much at all for it. The dex is on the low end, the IAS is also on the low end (although only 7% cap), and Int is not that useful for an DH since this will only provide about 7% resist all. The crit, while nice, is also low end. The only bright spot is you did get max health regen for it.

Maybe in your world 38 million is "not much" (and it's up to 46 million now), but I've never had more than 2 million gold in my possession at one time.
(08-20-2012, 05:50 PM)Lissa Wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a low quality Mark. You won't actually get much at all for it. The dex is on the low end, the IAS is also on the low end (although only 7% cap), and Int is not that useful for an DH since this will only provide about 7% resist all. The crit, while nice, is also low end. The only bright spot is you did get max health regen for it.

Doesn't matter. There is none on the RMAH that's going for less than $70 Even if it were a worst case roll, $40 would be already a very competitive price. On the GAH, 40 million is the starting bid for the worst one!
(08-19-2012, 11:37 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Ugh... no need to get so defensive.

LOL, that wasn't defensive or even close to mad. I only recall be truly mad here twice. Once was about someone making highly inappropriate fun of someone and their disability. The other I doubt you would have been privy to but resulted in me leaving the guild I loved.

I had already given Occhi accurate information about what items yield which mats. Your follow-up post then reads as "But.. In general the rule is to just salvage ilvl 61+ items." I made the statement thinking of Occhi because I'm fairly sure he doesn't have any toons even close to such levels and he shouldn't be deterred from messing with his Blacksmith, if desired. Of course, Occhi is going to do what Occhi is going to do anyway being that he is Occhi.

My response to FoxBat was frustration, frustration born of 54 years of being truly hurt by generalizations made by people just looking at me. It is a pet peeve, one that I try to avoid myself, however unsuccessfully, and one that I try to get others to think about as well.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Thanks.
BTW, Lochnar is right. Smile
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Ah, was running with Chesspiece when these boots dropped. I thought it'd be a great upgrade and I could use something I found for once, but the lack of movement speed makes the thing unusable. I don't think there's any stats in the world I'd trade for movement speed, though a lot of people managed to get MS elsewhere on their gear. I'm not as fortunate, so off to the AH it went. Well, at least I can buy other stuff now.

[Image: Xi8EF.png]
(10-28-2012, 08:06 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I don't think there's any stats in the world I'd trade for movement speed, though a lot of people managed to get MS elsewhere on their gear. I'm not as fortunate

Agreed. I think they should give serious consideration to gemming for movement speed. If nothing else, boots should be an exception for gemming just as helms and weapons. Many boot pieces, otherwise superior, have been rejected for lack of movement speed. Sad
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(10-28-2012, 11:16 PM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(10-28-2012, 08:06 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I don't think there's any stats in the world I'd trade for movement speed, though a lot of people managed to get MS elsewhere on their gear. I'm not as fortunate

Agreed. I think they should give serious consideration to gemming for movement speed. If nothing else, boots should be an exception for gemming just as helms and weapons. Many boot pieces, otherwise superior, have been rejected for lack of movement speed. Sad

That's a really good idea. But yea, it was just kinda saddening when I was sharpening out a gem only to realize these boots reduce me to snail speed. Ah, such is RNG. I'll let the people that have the movement speed legendaries handle them.
All hail the RNG gods!

Great damage oriented item compared to the Inna's Radiance I bought, but I was dying too much due to the lack of resists-- this should have been my own upgrade but someone else found good use for it.

[Image: mUYQE.jpg]

It's worth a lot. I shrugged
[Image: okTRi.jpg]

And finally after what seemed like forever, I found an item I actually ended up using. These pants are a slight upgrade... to the Inna pants I bought. :p It has slightly more dps but the extra armor isn't as good as the resists. Then again I found it so...

[Image: OM9S9.jpg]
(11-13-2012, 12:30 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: [Image: OM9S9.jpg]

You've roused my curiosity, so I have to ask. I must be missing something so, why would one not identify yellows and just stash them?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Id'ing items interrupts the action too much, so I like to ID them at my leisure when I decide to end a run. It is much easier to spend 10 seconds going to town and stuffing the goodies in the stash as opposed to picking out junk to toss on the ground or vendor when your inventory gets too full.

Also, after I finish a run, it lets me go over the spoils gained for it at my own leisure. I'm not in need for vendor money and the items aren't going anywhere soon anyways.

Finally, it's the Christmas Tree Present effect. Just a lot of stuff waiting to be unwrapped. The psychological appearance of me having dragged a large pile of stuff regardless of quality feels a lot better than ID'ing something immediately. The more filled my stash is, the more I feel that I have been doing a good job killing demons.

To me, Diablo is all about anticipation. I'm really glad they buffed trash mob drops. This means that killing anything in this game in bulk can yield treasure. Way better than just running to elites or bosses, I'd say.
(11-13-2012, 01:13 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Finally, it's the Christmas Tree Present effect. Just a lot of stuff waiting to be unwrapped.

That was actually my thought, "It's like opening Christmas presents." I was the kid who tried to peek, more often than not successfully, thus ruining my surprise. Blush
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I felt the need for a mindless murderous rampage last weekend and this weekend so I fired up D3 again. I think I've now found at least one legendary every day I've played for more than an hour and most of the things have actually been found by the character that could get the most use out of them AND at a time when they were flat out upgrades. BTW, having a Scourge (two handed sword) makes really pretty green explosions if you haven't seen it yet. Don't know if they actually do damage or if they're just pretty, but with a 29% chance on this one, they happen a lot. =) So happy to actually be getting shinies. Still never had a set piece drop though. Legendaries out the wazoo though so I get my little feeder bar pressed regularly.
Intolerant monkey.