Post your stupid deaths here.
Slightly different to the theme of this thread, but I had to share it.

I was in the Cathedral when I saw a group of skeletons standing by a collapsible wall. Before I could get to the wall, one of the skeletons swung his sword, hitting the blanks holding the wall up. It fell on him and the rest of the group, killing them all. I guess suicide was preferable to what my Monk would have done to them?
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(06-15-2012, 10:51 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: Slightly different to the theme of this thread, but I had to share it.

I was in the Cathedral when I saw a group of skeletons standing by a collapsible wall. Before I could get to the wall, one of the skeletons swung his sword, hitting the blanks holding the wall up. It fell on him and the rest of the group, killing them all. I guess suicide was preferable to what my Monk would have done to them?

I never get tired of watching them do that. Ever.
Intolerant monkey.
(06-14-2012, 06:14 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I've also had normal ones blow up on me when they have clearly been being hit by my AoE damage because I could see their health bars going down. Which means I no longer have any idea what actually makes them blow up and I'm certainly not going to mess with a champion pack of them in HC on a melee toon again.

The only thing I've noticed is that hitting them once isn't enough to stop them from exploding--they start an animation when they get close enough, and a hit can interrupt them, but it doesn't stop them from starting it again.

I think they also explode when hit by an explosion from another demented fallen, but I'm not sure. I tend to let them get close then run away once they start the animation so I won't be hit by the explosion. I lose the loot, but they are so hard to kill properly (at least for me) that I don't care much.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I died to a stair trap. I'm really surprised those exist in this game, given how much of a problem they were in diablo 2.

Specifics boil down to this. I walked into the that first sewer level in act 2 and immediately after the transition of stepping down the ladder, I died. On top of the ladder entry point was a Stinging Swarm jailer, mortar, fire chains, extra fast champion pack.

Now, I've seen champion packs NEAR waypoints or entrances before. I would use a way point, or enter a dungeon, and I could see a pack rush me on screen and I had enough time to click out before they wrecked me. But this time, this very specific time, they were completely 100% on top of the entrance. It was like a griefer had joined my game and lured them to the entrance there and then logged out. I was shocked.
I have had that with checkpoints. I once had to reload my game five times before I did not have an elite pack that insta-killed me right on the checkpoint.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
Sad 
Not a death, but VERY stupid....

After beating Diablo on my monk (first kill/normal) I was spam-clicking to close the NPC dialogue so I could loot in silence, and the cinematic launched...

Cinematic = no going back to that game and loot goes poof.

Just glad I did this on normal and not hell/inferno where the loot *might* have actually mattered, but still VERY annoyed that they end the game that way. No warnings... at least give a pop-up like between acts? Hopefully they fix that in the future, I'm already laughing but at the time it was infuriating.
D3 - look for Zich (all classes, all named Zich...)

WoW - look for Zich/Maclnnes/Dreadblood
^Inactive and waiting for MoP right now.

(06-19-2012, 02:45 PM)Zich Wrote: Not a death, but VERY stupid....

After beating Diablo on my monk (first kill/normal) I was spam-clicking to close the NPC dialogue so I could loot in silence, and the cinematic launched...

Cinematic = no going back to that game and loot goes poof.

Just glad I did this on normal and not hell/inferno where the loot *might* have actually mattered, but still VERY annoyed that they end the game that way. No warnings... at least give a pop-up like between acts? Hopefully they fix that in the future, I'm already laughing but at the time it was infuriating.

You do get a warning popup that it will end the game and go back to menus, but if you ESC it, it may go away and dump you out.
--Mav
That's ... not how it works.

When you have killed Diablo, you lose control of your character for a moment as it goes through an auto-dialogue scene - not a cinematic. When it returns control to your character, you can loot. At that time, Auriel has a quest -- if you talk to her, you will have a brief dialogue scene and then a WARNING pops up with "OK" and "Cancel" buttons. The warning states clearly that if you click OK, you will exit to the menu. Spacing through the dialogue will cancel the pop-up automatically, as will the ESC key. Clicking "OK" gives you the cinematic and exits the game. That is the only real way to leave the game. (You can also accept a party invite, which will bring you out of your game and into the game of the party leader, but that is also not something you can do by accident.)

I just went in-game and checked to make sure I wasn't saying something incorrect.

I can only imagine you talked to Auriel without realizing you could loot, and you clicked "OK" on the pop-up without really seeing it.

The other possibility is that someone else talked to Auriel and accepted it before you could, which will also dump you from the game (or so I've been told; never tried it myself), but that requires a coop game in the first place.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
This qualifies as a stupid death under every definition of the word. So, I made the plunge tonight to kill Diablo in Hell and finally see Inferno. I trucked through the last half of hell Act IV (so much easier with the new mob AI than before), entered Diablo's lair, and absolutely destroyed him. It was the best I'd ever done in any Diablo encounter in that he hardly got a hit on me. I'm thinking, "Jeez, I just need a little bit of gear -- and yeah all of the effort it takes to get *to* Inferno Diablo -- and I'm ready to take him on." I mean, the guy's AI doesn't change. He just hits harder, but he hardly hit me, right?

So, I'm feeling good. I get into Act I Inferno and I'm killing a few zombies and an Amazon Basin friend is telling me about how he got a lot of gear and gold by farming treasure goblins and Sarktooth in Old Tristram. I figured I'd try it out to see what the excitement was about. So, I threw on some modest mf% gear that isn't too bad as fighting gear either, so that I wouldn't cripple my character too much and I reset the game a few times -- kill Sarktooth, check to see if there are any goblins, etc. It seemed boring, but if I get some cash or a couple items out of it eventually, what's the harm?

So, on the fateful death run, I check to see if Sarktooth is there. Nope. I run into Old Tristram and don't see the cellar spawn, so I click to leave game, which makes the screen very dim and the dialogue box covers a key chunk of screen right around the character. As the 10 seconds ticked down, what I didn't see was a couple of bloated slow zombie guys who hit like mack trucks edge toward me and kill me with 3 seconds left. *Sigh*

Ah, normal mode Tristram. How I missed you so. I think I'll level Grizabella up this time using Energy Twister.
Speaking of Tristram and death, anyone notice that they closed off the bridge to the Weeping Hollow with a zone transition, so no mob-dragging into tristram from that way?
--Mav
(06-20-2012, 12:38 PM)Mavfin Wrote: Speaking of Tristram and death, anyone notice that they closed off the bridge to the Weeping Hollow with a zone transition, so no mob-dragging into tristram from that way?

It was in the patch notes.
Intolerant monkey.
It is *extremely* likely that I started the Auriel quest with my rampant clicking (the VERY stupid in my post above was directed at myself, after all), which might explain why it felt like so much more talking than previous kills when I was looting, but my tired brain did not want to listen to that and said CLOSE ALL THE THINGS!

If there was an OK to continue window before the cinematic, I never saw so much as a blip of it. I don't think the OK button lines up with the 'x' for closing text windows, but I'm not swearing to anything. I should clear inferno this weekend, so I'll see at the end if the missing warning actually does exist >.>
D3 - look for Zich (all classes, all named Zich...)

WoW - look for Zich/Maclnnes/Dreadblood
^Inactive and waiting for MoP right now.