Post your stupid deaths here.
I take it this is why I saw you on a level 20 monk this morning, Frag?
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
My first hardcore death ever came as expected- playing as if I was running around in Softcore. It was in the Act II "Crumbling Vault" random event where you have a limited time to find the treasure room before the mission fails. I hadn't done this event in Softcore but I figured they wouldn't outright kill your character if you failed as the mission text would lead you to believe. So I sat outside the entrance, pondered for a good minute and reassured myself to not play stupid, only to promptly fail the worst way possible. It was like running in a race and getting close to the finish line only to trip on your own feet, fall and break your knees, and have your hands extended out trying to grasp at that finish line.

I was desperate for good gear as my Wizard had absolutely no luck thanks to the limitations on the LL tourney we have setup. Greed definitely got the better of me, but I knew my poor Wizard's days were numbered from the moment I created him. Hardcore is certainly a different game ;)
(06-07-2012, 07:16 PM)Concillian Wrote: I take it this is why I saw you on a level 20 monk this morning, Frag?
Yes, it is. Also, I've learned that part of what I posted is due to a bug. The enraging is supposed to reset once you've dropped combat (i.e. our leaving the zone, going to town, being out of their range for 20+ minutes all should have dropped it). I'm glad I lost a lot of HC toons due to bugs in D2 or I'd be raging like a balless bull.

Mind you, I've lost two monks since you saw that. I can't keep a monk alive in group play in A3 for the life of me because of my next point. I've been too stubborn to drop the 3-4 people I've been playing with to do Depths 2 & 3 alone like I did with my Frag barb, thus the fanatics blow me up.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(06-09-2012, 04:20 PM)Frag Wrote: Mind you, I've lost two monks since you saw that. I can't keep a monk alive in group play in A3 for the life of me because of my next point. I've been too stubborn to drop the 3-4 people I've been playing with to do Depths 2 & 3 alone like I did with my Frag barb, thus the fanatics blow me up.

They hotfixed the group play stuff now, so coop mobs don't do more damage anymore, just more health.
--Mav
(06-09-2012, 01:09 PM)MonTy Wrote: It was in the Act II "Crumbling Vault" random event where you have a limited time to find the treasure room before the mission fails. I hadn't done this event in Softcore but I figured they wouldn't outright kill your character if you failed as the mission text would lead you to believe.
It definitely didn't for me in SC.
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Much like with the trees, I've gone through an epic struggle against a boss with (among other modifiers) Molten, clung to life long enough to defeat him, only to forget that Molten bosses leave behind that little exploding glow-ball that kills me while I'm examining the loot. I wish I could say it only happened to once, but it's so easy to relax a bit when the battle appears to be over!
I have lots of stupid deaths:

Twice in one Hell Belial fight with two players whose characters had significantly less survivability than I did, on my monk. I'd let the pools start to build up before moving out and use serenity to survive the damage. Except twice in a row I managed to get one key off and hit blinding flash instead.

Standing in dead tree fumes, too. I did that only a few hours ago in Inferno, same character.

On my wizard, using teleport fracture to get some distance from an illusionist boss pack, except I had my cursor over the middle of the pack.

Fighting berserkers with illusionist/fire chains/I don't even remember the other two affixes. I fight something like this every time I do Warden/Butcher, and I die to it at least once every time.

Every single time I saw death coming and forgot to activate seven-sided strike while serenity was on cooldown.
(06-09-2012, 04:23 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 04:20 PM)Frag Wrote: Mind you, I've lost two monks since you saw that. I can't keep a monk alive in group play in A3 for the life of me because of my next point. I've been too stubborn to drop the 3-4 people I've been playing with to do Depths 2 & 3 alone like I did with my Frag barb, thus the fanatics blow me up.

They hotfixed the group play stuff now, so coop mobs don't do more damage anymore, just more health.
Obviously I was speaking of before the hotfix, Mav. Rolleyes
(06-10-2012, 03:39 PM)Frag Wrote:
(06-09-2012, 04:23 PM)Mavfin Wrote:

Obviously I was speaking of before the hotfix, Mav. Rolleyes

I was trying to be informational, Frag, not mocking. Big Grin The hotfix was pretty new at the time I posted that.
--Mav
ProTip: When chasing down rats/roaches/scorpions to squash, make sure you are watching for packs in front of you. Blush
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
So I had recently swapped skills around on my L41 HC monk (who replaced the fallen L43 monk). The changes worked well I hit 42 and was well on my way to 43. I was working my way through the 2nd chamber (Storm Halls) to use Kulle's Blood. I had run into some Demented Fallen earlier in the level and noticed that explosion took about 15% of my life (because I let one blow up on me). I was generally pretty aggressive when I saw them and at one point did get hit by enough that I ended up below 50% but I felt safe.

Then I saw a champion pack of them, they were molten as well. I have never run from and rerolled a map in this game and I gave it a lot of thought here, but didn't. I thought I could string them out enough so I activated them and started running. Noticed I had one mostly by itself near a door and managed to kill it. I moved back through the door to see if I could get another one to string off, when the next thing I know I'm zipping over to them. I had let go of the movement key and thundering strike had ported me. Before I had a chance the screen went dark and the message came up. I was dead.

I still don't know what the second mod on them was. I may have lived had I popped serenity as soon as I saw what was going on.

I still like having the attacks on the mouse and utility on asdf but I do think if I see champion molten exploding mobs I'll just leave the game. Looking at my death screen shot, it looks like all 3 of the remaining ones exploded as soon as I got over to them. Ah well.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I have never managed to put out the DPS to kill a Champ pack of Lunatics before they blew themselves up. That is where I like having the Templar. I use him to stand between me and them and he gets blown up instead of me Wink
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(06-11-2012, 05:14 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I had run into some Demented Fallen earlier in the level and noticed that explosion took about 15% of my life (because I let one blow up on me). I was generally pretty aggressive when I saw them and at one point did get hit by enough that I ended up below 50% but I felt safe.

Then I saw a champion pack of them, they were molten as well. I have never run from and rerolled a map in this game and I gave it a lot of thought here, but didn't. I thought I could string them out enough so I activated them and started running. Noticed I had one mostly by itself near a door and managed to kill it. I moved back through the door to see if I could get another one to string off, when the next thing I know I'm zipping over to them. I had let go of the movement key and thundering strike had ported me. Before I had a chance the screen went dark and the message came up. I was dead.

Frag told me once (and feel free to correct me, Frag) that you don't have to actually kill the lunatics to stop them from exploding. You just have to do some damage to them before they activate. So, to combat the lunatics, you have to charge *at* them and hit them. After that, they won't explode. Is this correct?
(06-11-2012, 11:07 PM)MongoJerry Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 05:14 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I had run into some Demented Fallen earlier in the level and noticed that explosion took about 15% of my life (because I let one blow up on me). I was generally pretty aggressive when I saw them and at one point did get hit by enough that I ended up below 50% but I felt safe.

Frag told me once (and feel free to correct me, Frag) that you don't have to actually kill the lunatics to stop them from exploding. You just have to do some damage to them before they activate. So, to combat the lunatics, you have to charge *at* them and hit them. After that, they won't explode. Is this correct?
Correct. I've 'tanked' 2-3 of them np just by using a low dps aoe builder (like Cleave or Sweeping Strike) until I killed them and the hits kept them from delving their explode.
In that case I shouldn't have died because thundering strike does AoE on every attack and it is what pulled me in then poof.

I know attacking them is the way to go, because that is what I normally do.
---
Probably affected by being through the door, they may have started in 'hunt mode' just as you came through the door.

Still sucks, unfortunately.
--Mav
For once, this death wasn't my fault (i have a lot of stupid deaths. Just look at my characters for the Hardcore LL tourney).

Tuftears, Dragoon and myself were fighting Izual on Hell Difficulty. Everyone by now should know he's a pain in the butt.

We had to fight two of him. At the same time. Dragoon got a screenshot I believe, so I'm hoping he sees this and posts it.
(06-11-2012, 11:55 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: In that case I shouldn't have died because thundering strike does AoE on every attack and it is what pulled me in then poof.

I'm confused, because you said this:

Quote:I thought I could string them out enough so I activated them and started running.

So, I'm picturing you running in to aggro them and then running away... and that makes me think that's the reason they exploded on you. If you hadn't run away and hit them instead, I think you would have been fine.
(06-14-2012, 04:20 PM)MongoJerry Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 11:55 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: In that case I shouldn't have died because thundering strike does AoE on every attack and it is what pulled me in then poof.

I'm confused, because you said this:

Quote:I thought I could string them out enough so I activated them and started running.

So, I'm picturing you running in to aggro them and then running away... and that makes me think that's the reason they exploded on you. If you hadn't run away and hit them instead, I think you would have been fine.

Yes I did that, and did it successfully. I had pulled one away and killed it, as I said. I was going back to the other 4 of them when I screwed up and ended up porting in with Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap. They were much more tightly bunched up than when I had first seen them which is part of why I had decided to try and string them out in the first place because since they were champions and I wasn't sure I could hit them all even with all AoE attacks that I thought it would be safer. But they hadn't even started coming at me again when the port and insta splat happened.

Perhaps since I had aggro'd them earlier that is why the blew up instantly when I got back in range after having killed one of them.

I've also had normal ones blow up on me when they have clearly been being hit by my AoE damage because I could see their health bars going down. Which means I no longer have any idea what actually makes them blow up and I'm certainly not going to mess with a champion pack of them in HC on a melee toon again.
---
Quick enough attack + "hit recovery"?

I think Fists of thunder keeps them "hit recovery" locked... well, the normal ones anyway. I haven't hit any champs / elites.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.