Has the fire from the sky stopped falling?
I found the launch a wondrously peaceful occasion to go herbing in Uldum.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
There were some issues at character creation right at the start, but once we all started getting in around 1-2am, it's been pretty smooth sailing as far as the game goes. We've been careful not to log out try to log back in, but honestly, considering the scale of what they're trying to accompish, the launch has gone pretty well.
(05-15-2012, 09:23 PM)MongoJerry Wrote: There were some issues at character creation right at the start, but once we all started getting in around 1-2am, it's been pretty smooth sailing as far as the game goes. We've been careful not to log out try to log back in, but honestly, considering the scale of what they're trying to accompish, the launch has gone pretty well.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5...603?page=1

Quote:1:55 p.m. PDT - Starting at approximately 2:15 p.m. PDT, we will be bringing Diablo III servers in the Americas offline for urgent maintenance to address several issues that are impacting the game. We anticipate that maintenance will last for about an hour and that servers will be available at approximately 3:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as they are necessary. Thank you for your patience.

--------

1:27 p.m. PDT - We're in the process of testing and implementing multiple fixes for the current service issues. We’ll provide another update in approximately 1 hour.

--------

11:30 a.m. PDT - We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for Diablo III servers in the Americas to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play at approximately 1:30 p.m. PDT. We will provide further updates as necessary. Thank you for your patience.

--------

10:22 a.m. PDT - We are in the process of performing an emergency maintenance for all North American Diablo III servers to resolve several issues that are currently impacting the game. This maintenance may cause some interruption in communication, ability to log in, use of in-game features, and disconnections. We anticipate all servers will be available for play in approximately 1 hour.

Thank you for your patience.

Not so smooth as those of us who never left a game since they first logged in would know about. I imagine they'll have this sorted out sooner rather than later. Guess it's time to go play with the cats.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(05-15-2012, 12:10 PM)Quark Wrote: It's not economically feasible to create an authentication server strong enough to handle the initial load of the most preordered game ever and have it be over-specced the remaining 99.9% of its lifetime.

Sadly, letting people login and create characters early but not start games would just push the DDOS to the game creation part.

You know how often I agree with Quark (like never), but, in this case he's exactly right.
--Mav
(05-15-2012, 09:29 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 12:10 PM)Quark Wrote: It's not economically feasible to create an authentication server strong enough to handle the initial load of the most preordered game ever and have it be over-specced the remaining 99.9% of its lifetime.

Sadly, letting people login and create characters early but not start games would just push the DDOS to the game creation part.

You know how often I agree with Quark (like never), but, in this case he's exactly right.

Yep. That's why I wasn't surprised, and didn't sweat the issues at all. Even with the servers going down (again) now, I'm not huffing over it. Gives me time to see to my kittens (who have been terrorizing me, and each other, far more than D3 has today Tongue).
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(05-15-2012, 09:26 PM)Roland Wrote: Not so smooth as those of us who never left a game since they first logged in would know about. I imagine they'll have this sorted out sooner rather than later. Guess it's time to go play with the cats.

I logged out to make a HC character about 5 hours ago and haven't gotten back in. So yeah, it's been fairly ugly today. But that was expected, still annoying (not that I could play much, it's a telecommute day) but I was able to sneak a few minute here or there, enough to kill Leoric and get my random dice selected witch doctor to L10 so I could unlock Hardcore. But after that not so much, I've gotten logged in but never gotten to a char selection screen since then.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I have not had any issues connecting (so far) today, but latency has been borderline unplayable... in single player!! Half-second delays on most actions (including inventory) and frequent rollbacks. The rollbacks really hurt when you think you are kiting, only to discover you are actually half dead. There is no way I would consider playing hardcore before this is resolved!
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I've logged in and about about a dozen times today and haven't had any issues (other than when they took the servers offline for emergency maintenance). Latency has been really great too. I only had one or two minor rubber-banding issues, but overall it's been a good gaming experience for me.
(05-16-2012, 03:25 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I've logged in and about about a dozen times today and haven't had any issues (other than when they took the servers offline for emergency maintenance). Latency has been really great too. I only had one or two minor rubber-banding issues, but overall it's been a good gaming experience for me.

Before the emergency maintenance I had no problems. Since then it's been pretty bad at times, but not all the time. Plenty of rubber-banding and little half-second delays. Once I got rooted to one spot for nearly a full minute - thankfully no enemies were around.

However, it seems the servers have gone down (yet again) just now. No ETA on when they'll be back. I don't know what's been going on with them, but I hope they get this sorted out soon. I already lost ALL my achievements because of the maintenance. I hope I don't lose them all over again because of this. Two strikes, and I'm going to start getting angry. Tongue
Roland *The Gunslinger*
No latency issues, though the whole thing just went kaboom for a few of us at least. Dragoon popped right in and we had fun clearing out Act 1 at least.

Edit: also easy to tell by postings who's played through WoW patches and who hasn't! In Elitist Jerks Benefactor's we had a discussion on the intelligence off taking of Tuesday versus Wednesday.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I've had a few incidents of multiple snap rubber banding. I wouldn't mind that as much if they would work out my latest issue. Playing along just fine and then the server barfs my games. I'm still connected and I'm seeing others getting achieves, but my game was dropped in the bit bucket. Being a fanatic about clearing all fog and busting all bustables, all progress is lost and I have to start back at the last checkpoint. It seems like it plans them too so they happen just shy of the next checkpoint. Angry

(WOOSAH.. Woosah.. woosah..)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(05-16-2012, 04:04 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: I've had a few incidents of multiple snap rubber banding. I wouldn't mind that as much if they would work out my latest issue. Playing along just fine and then the server barfs my games. I'm still connected and I'm seeing others getting achieves, but my game was dropped in the bit bucket. Being a fanatic about clearing all fog and busting all bustables, all progress is lost and I have to start back at the last checkpoint. It seems like it plans them too so they happen just shy of the next checkpoint. Angry

(WOOSAH.. Woosah.. woosah..)

That's why I thought it was just me at first. Turns out it's a big chunk of the American servers. I got booted and thought my cats ate a wire. I was actually relieved it was just server downtime. Tongue On the plus side, it seems they're looking into the missing achievements, so all hope is not yet lost on that front.

It's an enjoyable experience when it works. I really can suffer through server downtime. I just don't like losing progress. Hopefully the rubber-banding and stuttering will be sorted out when the servers come back up. That really plays hell with a DH (and is just one of the numerous reasons I will never touch HC in a Diablo game).
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Interestingly, after that long downtime I have noticed a dramatic improvement in the lag. Perhaps it was just that everyone else gave up on playing for the day, but I will optimistically hope they addressed something that was causing me trouble.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(05-16-2012, 03:47 AM)Roland Wrote: I already lost ALL my achievements because of the maintenance. I hope I don't lose them all over again because of this. Two strikes, and I'm going to start getting angry. Tongue

I didn't lose ALL of them, but enough so that it annoyed me to have to get them again. Thankfully, my HC monk bit it to some evil trees so I can go back and get some of the beginning ones. Wink
Intolerant monkey.
Bragging rights.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Roland *The Gunslinger*
Signed on last night, was invited to a group within 10 seconds, played in that game until Blizzard took Battle.Net and Diablo III down around 11:25 PM EST - just as I dinged 18 and we were almost done Act II.

I like how the game can "catch you up" very quickly. I was level 1, invited to a game with level 6-8'ers well on their way to Leoric, and within half an hour I was a competitive charlevel; I was only 1 level behind the rest of the night. Being in a group is fun, because you can all share items - we were constantly linking things we found to see if anyone else wanted them. Pace was frenetic, of course.

Act I ending cinematic is so full of awesome. Not going to say more, since spoilers would be introduced.

I like how you can see the achievements scroll by as they're earned by everyone on your friends list. Especially this early in the game's release, you know exactly how far they are in the game and how they're doing.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(05-16-2012, 04:22 PM)Bolty Wrote: I like how you can see the achievements scroll by as they're earned by everyone on your friends list. Especially this early in the game's release, you know exactly how far they are in the game and how they're doing.

I like that. It's sort of like being in guild chat w/o public grouping or having the other baggage if you don't want.
--Mav
I liked the nostalgic moment for the end boss of Act 1. I think Weaties now has a potential new box cover star... >.>
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(05-16-2012, 08:08 PM)Lissa Wrote: I liked the nostalgic moment for the end boss of Act 1. I think Weaties now has a potential new box cover star... >.>

Yeah. And the feel of the zone was (for me at least) pretty reminiscent of Hell. The red tone, and the blood, etc.
--Mav