Has the fire from the sky stopped falling?
(05-14-2012, 09:21 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 09:06 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(05-14-2012, 06:59 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: By then I should be done with my final university exam. There might even be time to grab some food and then start Diablo 3 as freshly unemployed Mag. (FH).

Rather perfect timing Smile

take care
Tarabulus

In a rather cruel twist my iMac decided tonight would be the perfect time to stop working and won't boot anymore. Which also means I'll be running through the defensio of my thesis without my notes tomorrow. Hilarious.

take care
Tarabulus

That sucks. Best of luck!

And now, I am installed and far too excited for my own good. YAY!

6:30 am and I got in, backing up everything. I'll worry about D3 after my exam Smile

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
They must be working hard getting ready. I just (10:38pm PDT) took a chance at clicking play and it patched the game already.

(No, it didn't let me play - guess I'll make some fish sticks for food to kill the time, and to make sure I've eaten something in case I forget, although I can't imagine why I would do that.)
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Less than an hour to go.

My day is just beginning. Wake up at 1AM Eastern, shower, eat. Now it's 2AM and I am a wee bit early, but ready and looking forward to actually playing Diablo for the first time in a decade.

No, my day doesn't normally begin at 1AM Eastern. My schedule varies quite a bit, due mostly to chronic sleep issues. Coincidentally, I am in the middle of reworking my schedule to be awake at certain hours next weekend, so I can attend a friend's event -- but it's a happy coincidence that leaves me ready to play just as Blizzard's weird launch time begins. Oh happy day.

- Sirian

[Image: ember-mini.gif]

(05-15-2012, 04:38 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: 6:30 am and I got in, backing up everything. I'll worry about D3 after my exam Smile

take care
Tarabulus

Looks like a serious hard drive issue. Right after the backup finished everything went to hell (har har) again. Save Sanctuary for me in the meantime, will ya?

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
So after 45 minutes of constantly retyping my password over and over, and still not being able to log in, my first impression of the (non)game is:

REALLY?

The lack of single player stings, at least in this situation.

If they are this poorly prepared for their big launch moment, what else may have gone wrong?

- Sirian

(05-15-2012, 07:50 AM)Sirian Wrote: So after 45 minutes of constantly retyping my password over and over, and still not being able to log in, my first impression of the (non)game is:

REALLY?

The lack of single player stings, at least in this situation.

If they are this poorly prepared for their big launch moment, what else may have gone wrong?

- Sirian

Honestly, anyone who was in the beta could have told you this was exactly what was going to happen. Of course, based on past Blizzard history this is what everyone should have expected, as well. I'm not saying I feel this is acceptable, but really did you honestly expect anything different? This is Blizzard. Within a day or two after launch this will cease to be an issue until they have a server failure somewhere down the road.

Also, yes the lack of SP stings.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
An hour of non-play so far. I once actually got connected and reached the Character Create screen, but it always timed-out. I tried logging out to see if that would fix it. Not a bright idea, I cannot recommend it to anyone. The sad thing is, I am actually planning to play Single Player once I finally connect! Probably one of Blizzard's dumbest ideas.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(05-15-2012, 08:05 AM)Elric of Grans Wrote: An hour of non-play so far. I once actually got connected and reached the Character Create screen, but it always timed-out. I tried logging out to see if that would fix it. Not a bright idea, I cannot recommend it to anyone.

Just concurring that I did this, too. The bottom line is it's going to take some time to sort this all out, just as it did during the Open Beta weekend, so don't plan on waiting for the servers to come back up unless you are extremely patient, and/or have lots of friends to keep you company in your misery.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
<ctrl-v><enter><enter> a couple hundred times before it took - next, create hero button just grayed and sat and sat - next, it timed out several times - a couple dozen tries and LOCHNAR LIVES!

Either it's clearing up because people are giving up or they're getting the servers worked out.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(05-15-2012, 08:28 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: <ctrl-v><enter><enter> a couple hundred times before it took - next, create hero button just grayed and sat and sat - next, it timed out several times - a couple dozen tries and LOCHNAR LIVES!

Either it's clearing up because people are giving up or they're getting the servers worked out.

Congrats. I'm stuck at Error 3006 every time after Retrieve Hero List, which I'm concerned is from timing out while trying to create a character when I initially got on. Tongue We'll see.

Edit:
Now it's timing me out after completing the Hero List retrieval. Progress! Tongue
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(05-15-2012, 08:29 AM)Roland Wrote: Congrats. I'm stuck at Error 3006 every time after Retrieve Hero List, which I'm concerned is from timing out while trying to create a character when I initially got on. Tongue We'll see.

Edit:
Now it's timing me out after completing the Hero List retrieval. Progress! Tongue

I see you popping online and off. Are you actually seeing the game yet?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(05-15-2012, 08:36 AM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 08:29 AM)Roland Wrote: Congrats. I'm stuck at Error 3006 every time after Retrieve Hero List, which I'm concerned is from timing out while trying to create a character when I initially got on. Tongue We'll see.

Edit:

I see you popping online and off. Are you actually seeing the game yet?

Finally got in about 15 minutes ago. Unfortunately, since I'm Starter Edition, I can't play with anyone else. However, with any luck I'll get my CE today.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
(05-15-2012, 07:57 AM)Roland Wrote: Honestly, anyone who was in the beta could have told you this was exactly what was going to happen.

I played the beta, and this didn't happen to me there.

I gave it a rest for half an hour, then managed to get in after another 15 mins of trying. Hour and a half in. Not unforgivable, but still not the best first impression.

Haven't gotten to Leoric yet, so nothing new to report on.

I can say everything has been stable and fine once you win the Login Lottery.

- Sirian

(05-15-2012, 09:26 AM)Sirian Wrote: I played the beta, and this didn't happen to me there.

Consider yourself fortunate. It happened a couple times earlier in the Beta, but mostly on Open Beta weekend. Thankfully it seems to be sorted out. Now, if only I had my retail copy so I could play past the Skeleton King. Tongue
Roland *The Gunslinger*
I finally got through in the end for a couple of hours play. Initial impressions: generally pleased with the game, but not too fussed by the Demon Hunter. Something about the visuals really strains my eyes though. I doubt I could play for long sessions as I did the previous games.
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
(05-15-2012, 06:12 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 04:38 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: 6:30 am and I got in, backing up everything. I'll worry about D3 after my exam Smile

take care
Tarabulus

Looks like a serious hard drive issue. Right after the backup finished everything went to hell (har har) again. Save Sanctuary for me in the meantime, will ya?

take care
Tarabulus

The good news is, I just graduated. The bad news is, no D3. Somehow I'm glad it's not the other way around though Big Grin.

Hope to see some Lurkers online later this week.

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
Unlocking the servers at an exact specific time and announcing it is just a guaranteed DDOS attack on the Authentication Server. It's happened on multiple WoW releases, it happened in D3 beta (well, more like any time the server hiccuped it took a couple hours to get back to normal because every tried to log back in immediately), it'll keep happening in Blizzard releases until they figure out a way to stagger the load. It's not economically feasible to create an authentication server strong enough to handle the initial load of the most preordered game ever and have it be over-specced the remaining 99.9% of its lifetime.

Sadly, letting people login and create characters early but not start games would just push the DDOS to the game creation part.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
I'm feeling a little better about having to wait until tomorrow/Friday for my delivery.

Also, that is a damned good quality title screen on the game.
Yeah, after seeing how European and Asian servers handled the first onslaught, I was awfully glad that I actually worked tonight so all the bad was over and done before I got home. =)
Intolerant monkey.
I woke up early due to the warm weather we've been having so I logged in without issues and played for about half an hour. No problems at ~5:30am Pacific time, apparently. I wonder if it will be bad by the time I get home this afternoon.
-TheDragoon