Rogue Coop 101?
(08-18-2011, 02:07 PM)lyyn Wrote:
(08-18-2011, 01:15 PM)maht1 Wrote: Just of interest, your description of the crypt makes it sound like the nesting place in the movie "Aliens" (one of my favorite movies btw). Greenish environment with an alien/insectish feeling? Looks like the perfect place to get ambushed by xenomorphs. If the dungeon had the same feel as in the movie, I reckon it would be pretty cool. However, I will probably be disappointed once i see a screenshot.

Interested?

Voila: The Hive (difficulty is supposed to be like Caves, the map-layout defiantly is, but my personal feeling: a little easier)

- s. att.

I am an Alien fan myself, but in Diablo?

The problem is, you have to play 4 levels of this to get the Cathedral Map.

Only (afaik?) with that Map can you open up 4 VERY cool levels of Crypt (kind of like Hell with Na-Krull as boss on Level 4 in his own Chamber, it has tough monsters but again to me it feels a little easier because of a church-like layout).

This is an exception to all other sections that you can enter independently given the right character level.

The walls certainly ring a bell to the hive where the impregnated colonists were in the movie. I guess that there are no interesting details to speak of in the levels themselves (the whole hive is basically a map of that screenshot in the same dreary colours over and over?). I guess the hive is basically the caves without the interesting lava flows, gates and fences etc, and varied coloured lighting.

It's seems very sad if it was such a disappointment because I reckon there was potential for an exciting dungeon romp. Guess I will have to extinguish my hopes of doing the following.

1) Killing xenomorphs with my sword, only for my blade to melt due to the corrosive alien blood.

2) Looting "dead" corpses, with the chance of a chestburster coming out.

3) Other fun things from the movies.

The game search bot I was referring to is a program that is used to list all the public games that are currently being hosted. I am not the best person to ask about bots, there are more knowledgable people you can ask here.

To keep things simple, I will just talk about the bot located at diablo usa-1 @ uswest. The bot's name is gameslist and it looks just like any other normal account (with the exception of some accounts having no game icon). If you have access to the bot, by messaging (either public or whisper) the appropriate command (in this case "-games"), the bot will message back the appropriate response.

It is pretty much like using the basic bnet commands, like /f l to show your list of friends.
(08-19-2011, 08:52 AM)lyyn Wrote: OTOH it IS ~Hell, so the clvl barrier is kind of built in and self-enforcing.
You can imagine how fast I turned around Wink

Now you can play Crypt Roulette with small characters. Enter crypt, look for nearby chests/urns, trap or non-trap? Let fate decide.

maht1 Wrote:I guess the hive is basically the caves without the interesting lava flows, gates and fences etc, and varied coloured lighting.

It's seems very sad if it was such a disappointment because I reckon there was potential for an exciting dungeon romp. Guess I will have to extinguish my hopes of doing the following.

1) Killing xenomorphs with my sword, only for my blade to melt due to the corrosive alien blood.

The Hive still has acid rivers (like lava rivers in caves), just no fences. "Organic Horror" of something like H.R. Geiger could work in a Diablo setting, but to keep it from being too sci-fi, I think the route to go would be more psychological and nightmarish. Story-wise the Hive is the consequence of a space meteor landing in Tristram, and everything inside is just a mutant created by space radiation and Lord of Terror "terror" radiation. If it was instead, say, Farnham's nightmares given life, it'd be much more compelling than something like a space alien queen.

-Space Lem

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
(08-19-2011, 12:51 PM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: Now you can play Crypt Roulette with small characters. Enter crypt, look for nearby chests/urns, trap or non-trap? Let fate decide.

...OR I could just go strait to hell and find out who can run faster, me or Diablo Tongue

(08-19-2011, 11:17 AM)maht1 Wrote: It's seems very sad if it was such a disappointment because I reckon there was potential for an exciting dungeon romp. Guess I will have to extinguish my hopes of doing the following.

Not so sure about that:

1) You DO get to plunge your sword into the Defiler(Hive-Boss on lvl 4). He almost looks as close to one as the graphics allow. You would have to be ok with keeping your sword though Wink

2) Does 3 of those popping up from around the corner count?

3) Use your imagination Wink

OMG am I actually plugging the Hive here? Forget what I just posted....

lg,
lyyn

PS: Am I the only one with the - unsubstantiated - feeling that Hive / Crypt are not only a little easier than Caves / Hell respectively but also a lot more generous?

re: hive

Any hopes of it being 'Aliens' inspired and Giger influenced, sorta gets dashed fast when you're facing enemies that looks like bouncing beach balls, badly textured to look like snot. And their clown like sound effects. (Hork spawns iirc.)

In general it feels like playing a slightly more polished alpha release of a level. Most of the hive monsters are not creepy, or creepy crawly.

There was a few monsters in the Crypt that I thought was kinda meh, but overall they did a much better job in fitting in (monster and level art) with the D1 visuals, atmosphere and mood. (Then again IIRC some of the monsters might have been unactivated\older D1 monsters, even so Crypt in general was a better fit than Hive IMO.)

The Hive could've been polished to fit the Diablo atmosphere better I guess if the team had more time. But that's that. HF fixed may have tried to improve it, but honestly there's only so much you can do with the Hive. Even if it was a small fix, kudos given for even wading into the pile of snot that is the Hive.

But that's just my 2 cents regarding the Hive.

(08-19-2011, 02:35 PM)lyyn Wrote: PS: Am I the only one with the - unsubstantiated - feeling that Hive / Crypt are not only a little easier than Caves / Hell respectively but also a lot more generous?

This is my unsubstantiated foggy memory so.. Hives may have been fairly generous for mid quality jewelry. Then again you have to wade through the eyesore that is the Hive.

I know I hunted Na-krul when I wanted a Shirotachi, due to the way his drops worked. It's not like I always got it in the first try, but it was more reliable than a Laz run. Other than that, I don't quite remember if it was more generous or not. Then again, I was too focused on trying to get that sword so.
(08-19-2011, 07:01 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: [...] a few monsters in the Crypt that I thought was kinda meh, but overall they did a much better job in fitting in (monster and level art) with the D1 visuals, atmosphere and mood

Yeah, some, like the Lichs, stick out a bit, but others like the Satyrs or the Bone Demons fit nicely. Then again, don't get me started on the Flesh Things.
I'm really into the polished black look though.

(08-19-2011, 02:35 PM)lyyn Wrote: I know I hunted Na-krul when I wanted a Shirotachi, due to the way his drops worked. It's not like I always got it in the first try, but it was more reliable than a Laz run. Other than that, I don't quite remember if it was more generous or not. Then again, I was too focused on trying to get that sword so.

Maybe it was just me having more luck in the Crypt. The last couple of times it was something like:

Crypt: Windforce (again...), Amulet of the Zodiac
Laz: Book of Charged Bolt

Crypt: RC, Xorine's Ring(!!!!! had to stop playing to gasp for air Smile )
Laz: Awesome Cap(!) of Deflection - are you KIDDING me?

Crypt: ….. well... you get the picture.
(08-19-2011, 07:35 PM)lyyn Wrote: Yeah, some, like the Lichs, stick out a bit, but others like the Satyrs or the Bone Demons fit nicely. Then again, don't get me started on the Flesh Things.
I'm really into the polished black look though.

Yeah the crypt level art is nice and fitting.

(08-19-2011, 02:35 PM)lyyn Wrote: ...

Crypt: ….. well... you get the picture.

Yeah, for me at least Na-Krul is more of a reliable loot bag. Laz can theoretically be completed faster I guess, though he's usually more of mixed bag.

Though I'd keep the Awesome cap of Deflection simply for the name alone. It says awesome on the hat! Now to get a matching shirt that says something like 'I did 1000 Laz runs and all I got was R.S.I' or such.