v1.10 changes
I personally would prefer a slightly different change for Cain's positioning.

After all, he's an old man. He's been through a lot. His mind must be starting to go.

Thus, I would like to see Cain wandering...everywhere. Anywhere. He might pop up in the Pit of Acheron, fraternizing with a Moon Lord, or maybe accompany you to the Worldstone Chamber, and bore Baal to death for you. If you ever see him wandering and click on him, he'll respond with a puzzled grunt, and ask, "Where am I? Why am I still wearing this silly grey robe? Is this some sort of Roguish prank?" At which point he'll teleport back to Harrogath and not remember that any of this happened.

Sure, it might be inconvenient when you need something identified, but I feel that the comedic value would be worth it. :D
USEAST: Werewolf (94), Werebear (87), Hunter (85), Artimentalist (78), Meleementalist (76, ret.)
USEAST HCL: Huntermentalist (72), Werewolf (27)
Single Player HC: Werewolf (61, deceased), Werewolf (24)
WarBlade,Apr 30 2003, 04:23 AM Wrote:OTOH, glowing barbarians? This is important somehow?

*snort*

Beauty, and I guess importance, is in the eye of the beholder.
  I happen to be eagerly anticipating such graphic changes, and so it is important to me.

If your *snort* was intended to be condescending, you can put back up your nostril.
Beauty, and I guess importance, is in the eye of the beholder.

I happen to be eagerly anticipating such graphic changes, and so it is important to me. :P

If your *snort* was intended to be condescending, you can put back up your nostril.
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
Swarmalicious,Apr 30 2003, 06:14 PM Wrote:If your *snort* was intended to be condescending, you can put back up your nostril.
No. It's my derisive snort of "this graphic thingy is of minor importance compared to something else in the screenie" kind of snort. :P

Ask yourself this: How many times have you cursed Hratli's positioning when playing a Fury Werewolf or Spear/WW Barbarian? Or bought Indentify scrolls from Malah because Cain was 'off the beaten track'. I never considered the possibility that any of the NPCs might be repositioned to more convenient locations, but seeing evidence of such a thing in this screenshot just pleased me greatly and more importantly reinforced the idea that the patch crew have always been very serious about improving the game for us.

I applaud the fact that even some esoteric improvements like this are being considered for implementation. It's this attention to detailthat is important (moreso than the added convenience of the change itself).
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Nice thoughts, WarBlade, but I guess you may have already seen this comment from GF. :)

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?F...02427&PageNo=11

Quote:Cain is there because we were using a special "debug" version of the game where "weird" things happen =) As to the guys by the fire, I don't know. I don't think anything has changed there.
Ahhhhh yes.

"If you think that's interesting, then how about this..."

I see now - sorry for lunging there, I misinterpereted. I'm touchy when I'm at work :).

Helm tipped. And I agree - a wp-bound Cain would save me enough time to at least do my laundry. :D

Swerm
*Swarmalicious - USeast Hardcore
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - W Wonka

The Flying Booyaka and The Legend of Bonesnap
Personally, a better positioning for the player in Act 3 would be my ideal change.

Think about it - In the manual it states that your stash is "near where you start" in town. In Act 3 it's anything but. Now, in Kurast you're stuck talking to Meshif whenever you appear, with everyone else as well as the town exit and waypoint on the other side of town! Plus, everyone is so... Scattered.

Imagine, if you will, what happened to my werewolf the last time he was in Kurast:

*Appears in town next to corpse following a death followed by a computer spasm and associated reload* (I swear, it's the only time I really hate death in SP)

"Damn, better resurrect my merc..." *Jogs off to Ashaera*

"Welcome back Jelani. Hmm, my weapons need repairing." *Sprints off to Hralti*

"Oh, wait. I lost a few pots." *Heads towards Stash, refills belt*

"Better cook some more juves. I've got some blues." *Buys a boatload of cheap reds from Ormus*

"Crap. I forgot I had some unIDed jewels. And I'm cheap." *Ambles towards Cain*

"Whoo, I bet these'll sell for a lot." *Sells them back at Ormus*

"Right, off into the big wide world." *Glances at inventory to check if TP tome is full and that everything is reorganised*

"Helm? Why am I still wearing a Helm? I thought I had- Oh, no, that pelt sucked. Damn. Still, this Helm isn't up to scratch either. Better see what's on sale." *Runs over to Ashera* "Nothing here." *Runs over to Hralti* "Still nothing. Better see what I can gamble." *Sprints over to Alkor*

"Right, where's the f***ing Waypoint?" *Runs*

The only thing I'm glad of is that you have infinate stamina in town. Face it, Kurast is not a good place to be if you can't "map" a good route and instead only complete tasks as they come about. Still, being placed more towards the middle of town would be better overall.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Thecla,Apr 30 2003, 07:25 PM Wrote:Nice thoughts, WarBlade, but I guess you may have already seen this comment from GF. :)
. . . followed by a hyperlink including "BattleNet Forums" and that was about as much information as I needed to fail the compulsive behaviour test on link clicking. No I hadn't seen that.

:unsure:

"Debug build where strange things happen" eh? :( Oh well. I can still cling to the hope that G. Frazier is toying with the rabble, as he so often does. :unsure:
WarBlade,Apr 30 2003, 10:21 AM Wrote:"Debug build where strange things happen" eh? :( Oh well. I can still cling to the hope that G. Frazier is toying with the rabble, as he so often does. :unsure:
[Image: 61.jpg]

Moo.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

Yes, I know it's a vain hope. You don't have to moo. :unsure:
ghost70,Apr 29 2003, 06:25 PM Wrote:speaking of 1.10, there is a new unique jewel from 1.10 posted on the Arreat Summit.

rainbow facet jewel

Level 47 chain lightning only does 1-686 damage and jumps 14 times (according to Chippydip's site), so not as impressive as it looks, but it's a cool item nonetheless.
When you die? Well, I think that's meant for one mode of play, although I guess it's more of an anti-pk thing. ;)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Is to turn your Act V merc into a

Suicide Minion.

Three on a hat, four on an armor, six on a sword.

He dies in a crowd

BOOM shacka lacka!

Works for me. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Repositioning Cain is a great idea! I might actualy talk to him again. :)
Let's face it, the only act where you would consider talking to Cain is Act 4, and there he will "tag" your character as a cheater (half-baked fix for the Soulstone dupe exploit).

Actually, I don't talk to Cain that much, but that's not because he's badly positioned, but for two main reasons : first, as a trader, I like to keep some of my items unidentified, and since Cain identifies the whole inventory, he's a no-go. The second reason is, of course, charms. In CD2, you actually welcomed the break when your inventory was full : in D2X, I find it much easier to carry along a tome of ID than to open a TP each time the inventory is full, which would happen every other minute.
I'm not sure this would work, though. If it's anything like the items with spell charges (like charges of Zeal), then mercs wouldn't be able to use them.

I hope that it does indeed work. That would be kind of cool to take out (or at least damage) those that killed your buddy. Revenge is a dish best served cold. ;)

And come on Occhi. Why waste an Act V merc? He's at least somewhat useful. An Act III one would be a much better choice. :lol:

Edit: I goofed. Made it seem like it would be cool if it worked when you died. Of course it does. I meant if it worked with mercs. I need some more sleep.
Don't worry. You won't feel a thing...until I jam this down your throat!
-Dr. Nick Riviera

Have you read the FAQ, Etiquette, or the Rules yet?
Charms are the very reason that I talk to Cain so often. With the inventory full, I seldom have room for Identify scrolls/books to go and juggling the inventory contents can take time, so Cain visits prove to be just s easy.
You can't save two spaces? :)
I mean doesn't it take a long time to go back to town to go ask Cain each time you find something? :P

But of course, I'm the type that will pick up everything just because it could be good.
I'm the type who can't put down anything be cause it is good. ;)
Occhy: I don't actually think it would stack. Similar to a X% chance to cast <spell> when hit, it either casts it or it doesn't. You would end up with a lot of wasted sockets (even putting this item into a socket is a waste in my opinion). Level 47 chain lighting (with the 3% increase) will do 1-706.5 damage. My sorceress has nova doing around 450-500 damage per cast, and it still takes TWO in to kill many enemies in act 1 / nightmare. And that lightning will fire only once. Even with 12 socketed, you will only get a +36% bonus to lightning damage (as it is worded on the jewel, only lightning damage from SKILLS, see below).

The only way a jewel would be effective this way is for a sorceress who has lightning mastery. This simply makes the charm relatively useless for most classes, while making a powerful class more powerful.

Also, did you notice the mods? This charm has three entirely new effects (a little suspect). I hope it doesn't make it to the final verision of 1.10. All it is good for is novelty, and that is not what I am looking for.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
WarBlade,May 1 2003, 01:56 AM Wrote:Charms are the very reason that I talk to Cain so often. With the inventory full, I seldom have room for Identify scrolls/books to go and juggling the inventory contents can take time, so Cain visits prove to be just s easy.
Hey, who needs four belt columns?

Stack two with full juves, another with the pot de jour (Thawing when up against cold-attacks, antidotes when up against poison-attacks) and the fourth stack with ID scrolls. With a full-sized belt you'll still have ten slots for healing potions, which is two more than you got in the original Diablo.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,

the Langolier,May 1 2003, 06:49 PM Wrote:The only way a jewel would be effective this way is for a sorceress who has lightning mastery.&nbsp; This simply makes the charm relatively useless for most classes, while making a powerful class more powerful.
The only way? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Lightning Fury which is already another strong killer and there's also the Holy Shock / Zeal combo that would benefit greatly also. The other thing about the information on hand, it seems these jewels might be available in Fire and Cold versions, probably Poison too . . .

But yeah, it's definitely a "rich get richer" senario in the making. <_<

Quote:Also, did you notice the mods?&nbsp; This charm has three entirely new effects (a little suspect).&nbsp; I hope it doesn't make it to the final verision of 1.10.&nbsp; All it is good for is novelty, and that is not what I am looking for.

Your hope matches mine then. I had anticipated unique jewels might be an outside possibility in a patch and the idea was not one I found appealing. The frequency with which one-slot items are among the more srt after in this game is kind of sad to see. :(