Why the experience nerf
Who asked for the experience nerf!!! ??? :blink: :o :(
Did blizzard confuse cows experience nerf with overall experience nerf!!
Most of my chars experience has been done in act 4 and 5 and it seems fine by me.
If you ask me experience in act 2 and 3 should be upped up even act 1.
Just my quick 2 cents.
41 dwarf priest stormrage Perchard
low lvl undead warlock terenas Slyshadow
If you're referring to experience gained by high level characters, the percent experience gained doesn't really become less than 1.09 until level 85 or so. It's basically just to make the extremely high characters mean something.
... it only seems like a nerf. In fact experience is gained even easier because monsters give much more then before. Also minions give at least 4 times more exp then normal monsters and in hell difficulty, boss packs aren't exactly rare. After all my 81lvl sorc gained half a level just by doing a Baal run. And it wasn't even a full clear. The real problem as I see it is killing speed.
Experience wasn't nerfed. It was pumped up actually. Before I would level once or twice in NM on players 8. Now I leveled 5 times on players 3. LOL.
If The serious nerf doesnt kick in till 85 then I dont think anyone should be upset.
Ghostiger,Jul 8 2003, 12:14 PM Wrote:If The serious nerf doesnt kick in till 85 then I dont think anyone should be upset.
I'm used to planning my characters out til level 80 so if things don't get too bad experience wise til after that then I'm happy, even though those blasted synergies throw a wrench into things.

The highest I've ever gotten a character is level 90 and that was work. I have gotten a couple to levels 82 and 84, repectively, simply because they were that much fun to play for that long. I enjoy making new characters and trying new builds so I've never had the patience to get any single character very high in level.

Has anyone tested to see what the Ancients experience bonus is? I'd read somewhere that someone gained only one level from it at level 23 in Normal so I thought they might have altered the reward.
Lane,Jul 8 2003, 12:20 PM Wrote:Has anyone tested to see what the Ancients experience bonus is?  I'd read somewhere that someone gained only one level from it at level 23 in Normal so I thought they might have altered the reward.
I believe it was from level 29-30 not 23.
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Last I checked, it was a fixed number of points. For example, in Hell, some 50,000,000. Depending on what level you are when defeating Ancients you get more or fewer levels.

At level 23, you will typically get 3 to 4 levels, depending on where the bar started.

*thinks* IIRC, Ancients in Normal yield 1,000,000 points.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I've done the Ancients 5 or 6 times now between Normal and Nightmare, both alone and with large parties.

In every case every player who didn't have the quest got a single level. I think the reward has changed.

I'm also sure that the Ancients do less damage than before, or perhaps they weren't scaled up quite as much as the other monsters. In either case they are certainly easier.

-davcol
davcol,Jul 8 2003, 02:41 PM Wrote:I've done the Ancients 5 or 6 times now between Normal and Nightmare, both alone and with large parties.

In every case every player who didn't have the quest got a single level. I think the reward has changed.

I'm also sure that the Ancients do less damage than before, or perhaps they weren't scaled up quite as much as the other monsters. In either case they are certainly easier.

-davcol
That's not that bad. In hell difficulty, the Ancients were just TOO strong, imho. I remember the leap attacker doing over 3500 hp's with a single hit, only the fact that I was in Wereform saved me there, as I got set to 1 hp in Druid form.

Anyway, I'll check how much experience I get when I defeat the ancients, which should be in two days ;)

And as for that so called experience nerf, normal difficulty certainly gives more experience than before, I'm about 2 levels higher than I normally am in the Kurast Bazaar; I'm already lvl 26.
Quote:Who asked for the experience nerf!!! ???

Game design actually isn't a democratic process. I don't know if anyone here asked for it, nor is that how the decision was made ;)

Besides it seems fine to me
I went from level 23 to 24 when I defeated the Ancients. (Suceeding in spite of the fact the potions I dropped on the ground disappeared halfway through the fight! :ph34r:)

So for sure the reward has been changed, because before you would go to at least level 26 from 23. From other reports, it does indeed sound like it gives exactly one level whenever you do it. You seem to keep the same percentage of the exp needed for the next level, so you don't need to wait until you've just gone up to get the most bonus, or anything. If I have extra time sometime, maybe I'll take a hacked lvl 98 character and see if he gains a level from the Ancients.

- Dagni
Appreciate the heads up.
In Memory of Pete
mmmmm nerfed only after lvl 85 thats not so bad <_<
I would be better after lvl 90 :P
Thanks for the feedback :D
41 dwarf priest stormrage Perchard
low lvl undead warlock terenas Slyshadow
Dagni,Jul 9 2003, 09:13 AM Wrote:So for sure the reward has been changed, because before you would go to at least level 26 from 23. From other reports, it does indeed sound like it gives exactly one level whenever you do it.
There's a cut off point somewhere.

I just did the Nightmare Ancients with a level 76 Elementalist Druid. Rather than getting exactly 1 level, per other reports, he instead gained exactly half a level.

I expect this might be a contingency plan of sorts to stop high level Ancients exploitation. B)
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
WarBlade,Jul 9 2003, 04:53 PM Wrote:I expect this might be a contingency plan of sorts to stop high level Ancients exploitation. B)
I thought that was what the WP restriction on WSK2 was for.
Experience nerf? In fact i'm quite happy with the experience. It has been seriously changed. Yesterday evening i noticed that i gained a lot of experience in NM act 1. A 42th level character gained 4 levels doing all the quest up until the countess. The Den gave me almost 2/3 of a level (all at players 5). Maybe in hell it is worse, havent played there yet. But in NM i'm happy.
whyBish,Jul 9 2003, 05:17 PM Wrote:I thought that was what the WP restriction on WSK2 was for.
Worldstone Keep restrictions aren't going to stop people grouping in 8 player games to run Ancients way are they? ;) By the feel of things taking out packs of Champs seems to be the quick leveling scheme and I can easily imagine teams crowding together for XP gathering treasure hunts all over Act 5 to maximize potential before hitting the Ancients for another full level before moving on. Capping that 'Ancients level' would slow the more blatant exploitation.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Large parties in the tunnels? Hum.. I like it. Hop over and PK them, just like in 1.09 when I used to play "Save the Master!"

"Save the Master!" is entering mf games that just started, heading to Durance 2, hostile and try to PK the guy there before he kills Mephisto (the Master) :D

There's another funny one which is "Tax collector". Enter a game and demand ransom to all ppl there. Either they pay 100k each (200k for amas) or you go out PK them. This style went out of fashion 'cos ppl started to do cows and I couldn't PK there :(
But for some reason, if role played correctly, that Master Saver sounds almost like role playing by a Griefer. However, as with Lemming's Diablo 1 Gremlin variant, the receiving party may not be amused.

People did start running cows for EXACTLY that reason: grief PKers who intruded on their games.

Griefers are the crab grass of the bnet lawn, or any multiplayer game system.
In Memory of Pete