sanctuary not adding +% to undead
vor_lord,Jul 22 2003, 07:54 PM Wrote:Now we might be getting somewhere.  So the global 50% Hell physical resist is gone, but zombies have it innately in 1.10?
Yep. The Physical Damage resistance is dependant on monster type now.

Quote:According to your theory (i.e. the piercing is working but not the ED%), then slvl 1 sanctuary should kill my Hell zombie in the same number of hits as slvl 26 sanctuary.

That's what it looks like. I tried to test in hell, but it was too painful (For testing purposes, I *hate* how crowded the blood moor has become). I prefer to avoid modding things for testing, but sometimes it's so much easier. So I tried on modified nightmare zombies with 50% resistance. With Sanctuary my numbers were essentially as above, without they were in the high 60's as expected. I then upped them to 100% resistance, and the sanctuary numbers were still unchanged. So it looks like the piercing effect is still operational, despite having been "fixed" in patch 1.09 according to patch.txt.

Quote:I'm interested to see your numbers.

Added to my post above as you were posting :D
Sounds to me as though a bug has arisen.

1.09 Sanctuary applied damage from the weapon that "bypassed" physical Immunity and resistance, and even went so far as to leech life. :) The damage was "sort of" physical, it was not magical damage, as anyone who hit an Oblivion Knight with maxed Sanctuary and Charge, while IM'd, can tell you. OUCH!!

I guess the way to understand it is that, like the sparkly, shiny cleaning solvents, it "stripped" physical resistance/immunity from the undead and allowed the weapons to damage them. Bows too. :)
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I can supply some data from the text files

Normal Zombies on the Blood Moor

Levels.txt lists them as monster type zombie1

Monstats.txt shows these stats:

Nightmare:
level 36
drain = 75
resist poison 75%
other resists, including physical 0%
damageregen 2 - not that I know quite how this works
min hp(N) 105 maxhp(N) 150 - these get multiplied by something else, if someone can tell us what I'll dig out the numbers needed

Hell:
level 67
drain = 50
resist physical 50%
resist cold 120%
resist poison 75%
damageregen 2 - not that I know quite how this works
min hp(H) 105 maxhp(H) 150 - these get multiplied by something else, if someone can tell us what I'll dig out the numbers needed

Just a thought: if you hit it while injured and wrote down the amount leeched that would give us data which discounts their regeneration
Brista,Jul 22 2003, 11:09 PM Wrote:Just a thought: if you hit it while injured and wrote down the amount leeched that would give us data which discounts their regeneration
I thought of that, but my piddly damage combined with a meager 10% life leech gave 0 or 1 life back aura or not <_<. Your suggestion made me think about this again and I remembered that life tap wand I keep in my stash :lol:. There's also the possiblity that they tried to make the bonus damage a non-leeching type (unlike 1.09), but here goes anyways.

Same setup as before, except 150 strength now (removed excess leech gear) and 50% leech from Life Tap. Target was a zombie in blood moor with normal attack, 5 hits each setup..

In nigtmare:
no aura, life leeched-30, 30, 30, 29, 30
Sanctuary, life leeched-30, 29, 30, 29, 29

In Hell:
no Aura, Leeched- 15, 15, 14, 15, 15
Sanctuary, Leeched- 29, 29, 29, 30, 29

consistant with no damage boost but negating physical resistance, assuming Sanctuary would be able to leech.

PS-Ruvanal explains Monster damage regen in a post here. Roughly, DamageRegen of 1 means the monster will heal it's entire bar in 160 seconds. 2 means 80 seconds, and so on.
Good work!

And thanks for the link :)
This explains the damage difference I encountered in hell. Guess I should have tested NM first. *sigh*
This bug makes Sanctuary a one-point-wonder anti-undead skill without actually utilizing its intended mechanics.
Now, how could they break THAT and not notice it? Beats me nearly as much as the charge bug.
"Ignoring is also a kind of understanding." - Christian Mai
+%damage to undead is bugged. *sigh*

dimension blade
socketed (4)
dmg 13-35
4x eld
+300% damage to undead

holy water sprinkler
normal
dmg 14-36
+50% damage to undead

place: act 2 normal, second wp, players 8.

aura: nothing
attack: normal

#1 kills undead in 2 hits on average
#2 kills undead in 2 hits on average
#1 kills undead in 2 hits on average with +250% damage sanctuary
#2 kills undead in 2 hits on average with +250% damage sanctuary
pbrain,Jul 23 2003, 01:12 PM Wrote:In nigtmare:
no aura, life leeched-30, 30, 30, 29, 30
Sanctuary, life leeched-30, 29, 30, 29, 29

In Hell:
no Aura, Leeched- 15, 15, 14, 15, 15
Sanctuary, Leeched- 29, 29, 29, 30, 29

consistant with no damage boost but negating physical resistance, assuming Sanctuary would be able to leech.
Ahh, that's what I didn't check before. If I'd done a Nightmare check, I might have spotted the problem. Yeah, your leeching numbers look about consistant with what I'm seeing in damage output . . .

So the next question is what exactly is bugged? Sanctuary looks fine, but the + Damage to Undead isn't working, which looks like an external problem with all +Damage to Undead creature effects such as the bonus from blunt weapons. :unsure:

Has anyone seen any posts mentioning "+ Damage to Demon" mods yet? That stands a good chance of being caught up in the same problem. :unsure:
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
WarBlade,Jul 24 2003, 01:21 AM Wrote:So the next question is what exactly is bugged? Sanctuary looks fine, but the + Damage to Undead isn't working, which looks like an external problem with all +Damage to Undead creature effects such as the bonus from blunt weapons. :unsure:

Has anyone seen any posts mentioning "+ Damage to Demon" mods yet? That stands a good chance of being caught up in the same problem. :unsure:
Sanctuary seems bugged in it's own special way :blink:. Using a Zombie (or Fallen for the Demon case) in normal modified to have constant life, 0 Damage Regen, and a Barb&Pally made with an editor long ago (all items were legal though) I've come up with the following:

+%damage to demons/undead from gear (tried Gravepalm, LoH, and the other undead glove) including your weapon (only tested on blunt weapons inherent +50%, not from runes or other magic bonus on the weapon) work as expected in 1.10. That is to say they don't do squat for Vengeance or Sacrifice (as in 1.09) but work for Charge, Normal attack, Zeal, and all the Barb skills I tried (stun, bash, conc). I don't know where the Sanctuary problem could have come from. Maybe they were trying to actually remove it's piercing effect and messed things up?

This is slightly OT to the current discussion, but it came up during testing. Having exactly 100% total damage bonus from strength and skills means you get no bonus from them at all, eg. using a 100 damage sword with 100 strength and normal attack you do only 100 damage. All other values of strength I tried worked as expected. With 99 strength you do 199 damage. With 101 strength you do 201 damage. I'm not positive, but I think this is a new bug in 1.10. Maybe they added some kind of 'sanity check' with regards to %ED that caused some insanity.

Although I tested all the above extensively with modified *.txt files and characters (if anyone has legit gear to try %demons/undead I'd love to hear results), you can test the 100% damage bonus bug easily enough without modding things. Adding "-act5" after your command to run Diablo well cause any new character to start in act 5 and be boosted to lvl 33. Do this with a barb, boost strength to 99, go whack zombies in /players 8 with your axe (they'll have 31-53 life, axe base damage is 3-6) and count your total hits to kill (I had 4-4-4-5-6-4). Boost strength to 100 and do the same (I had 10-14-15-9-11-8-12). Boost to 101 and repeat (I had 3-7-4-7-5-4-5). You can easily see for yourself that something is up in case you don't trust my modded/edited conclusions. I'd love to hear some kind of sane explanation for this.

ps. There's some signifigance to the leeching test I did with Life Tap. It appears the nightmare and Hell penalties to Life Tap's leech still do not apply, and furthurmore the individual monster leech penalties do not apply to Life Tap either.
pbrain,Jul 24 2003, 03:09 PM Wrote:+%damage to demons/undead from gear (tried Gravepalm, LoH, and the other undead glove) including your weapon (only tested on blunt weapons inherent +50%, not from runes or other magic bonus on the weapon) work as expected in 1.10.
I had a go, but the character with Laying of Hands (werewolf) was a crap one for testing this, so results were inconclusive. :(

Another thing I thought of was the faint possibility that Sanctuary's melee enhancement got accidently switched to another monster type, Demon or Animal, but that doesn't seem to be the case either.

Quote:I don't know where the Sanctuary problem could have come from. Maybe they were trying to actually remove it's piercing effect and messed things up?

I doubt it. It took two goes to the get that effect right, so I doubt it would be removed after it's more logical 1.09 version has been successful for as long as it has. If that part of the equation was tinkered with at all, I'd expect the tinkering to be a product of Sanctuary's inability to operate appropriately with Amplify Damage.
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
i guess my first tests weren't that conclusive. sorry :(

i don't remember much from the game since i was gone 2 years, but is +%to undead/daemons calculated after all other bonuses or added together? if they're not added at the end, then these numbers could make sense.

eq:
face of horror - +20 str +50% damage to undead
no charms
no other damage adders
4% life leech ring
cathans seal - 6% life leech ring
str 85 (from FoH)
dex 99

players 8
normal difficulty
10 hits

hits to kill test: burning dead archer

(average hits)

#1 (2.7)
3+3+3+3+2+2+3+2+3+3

#2 (3.4)
3+3+3+3+4+3+3+5+4+3

leech test: dried corpse

damage shown in character screen (with undead damage multiplier) [expected leech without leech penalties]

#1 24-64 (108-288) [11-29]
11+11+16+11+19+13+10+15+8+8

#2 25-66 (50-132) [5-13]
6+8+7+7+8+6+6+9+7+5