sanctuary not adding +% to undead
heh, i have to admit i never tried out sanctuary's +% damage to undead, or did it not have it before?

anyhow it should add +250% at my level, and i see zero difference, since i started trying it in 1.10. does it only work with some weapons(scepters?) perhaps?
Your idea of the mechanics is wrong.

Sanctuary adds a damage percentage, exactly like the 50% bonus for blunt weapons against Undead. This extra Physical Damage percentage varies in amount by your character's skill* level.

Sanctuary also adds a Magic Damage 'area pulse' that simply applies a Magic Damage figure to Undead within it's effect radius.

I just checked it and the area pulse is working fine. Note however that the Magic Damage pulse does almost nothing with a sLvl 20 skill in Act 1 Hell

*edit: left out the word "skill" . . . yikes :o
Heed the Song of Battle and Unsheath the Blades of War
Quote:Sanctuary adds a damage percentage, exactly like the 50% bonus for blunt weapons against Undead.

i was saying that it doesn't...*sigh*

Quote:This extra Physical Damage percentage varies in amount by your character's level.

not by the amount of points in the sanctuary skill?
*Sheepish Look* :unsure:

Yes, It's skill level. Sorry about about that. I goofed. :o

*runs off to edit . . . *
WarBlade,Jul 19 2003, 06:34 AM Wrote:*Sheepish Look* :unsure:

Yes, It's skill level. Sorry about about that. I goofed. :o

*runs off to edit . . . *
so, i suppose you haven't

1) checked if it works in game(in any dII version)
2) checked the code for it(no idea if that's possible)
Oh yes, it certainly works.

- There is a Physical Damage enhancement
- The Physical Resistance Piercing is still working fine
- The Magic damage pulse is working fine

However the Physical Damage enhancement is unchanged from 1.09 so it basically doesn't amount to too much in itself any more. You'll be relying on Zeal or Charge to get it actually doing something.
could you fill me in on what that all means? :huh:

i was gone for 2 years so i don't remember much(i played in 1.09 though)

i mean with 20 and 20 cleansing(or which it is) it says +750% damage. so that's not added? then what is?
Suppose you have a 100 damage weapon

And you have 50 from skills when Zealing and 100 Strength

You should do 100 *(100+50+100)/100 = 250 damage

Turn on Sanctuary and attack an undead

You should do 100 *(100+50+100+750)/100 = 1000 damage

If someone has a non-edited Single player Sanctuary paladin perhaps they could test.
*sigh*

i've tried +720% damage vs undead at level 20, it makes zero difference in damage.

i'll try asking over at phrozen forums, maybe they just don't repeat what it says in the description :(
SeasofBlood,Jul 20 2003, 08:50 AM Wrote:i've tried +720% damage vs undead at level 20, it makes zero difference in damage.
1.) What Combat Skill are you using? :huh:
2.) How are you expecting Sanctuary damage to occur?
3.) What are you attacking?
4.) What are you looking at to determine that the skill does no extra damage to Undead?

If you are using Charge and Zeal, you should be seeing a difference to damage output versus Undead when you hit them. Also you mention Cleansing when the entry itself mentions Cleansing amplifies the Magic Damage. AFAIK that won't add to the 720% Physical Damage number you supplied.
it takes about 2 mins with the downloadable chars to try it out yourself to see it's broken.

yes i was wrong on cleansing, not that i know how you'd know when you evidently haven't tried the skill.
You lose.

I have tested Sanctuary in 1.10.

Sanctuary works fine.

You are exceedingly irritating.

Bye.

<_<
:lol: i'd like to say the exact thing about you.

what weapons, difficulty and targets did you use?

any data on # of hits required with and without it?

it hasn't worked with many different weapons, monsters and on all difficulties, so i'd just like to know when it does work.
... relying on the lying character screen ™ ?

Sanctuary's damage increase vs undead will NOT show in the character screen.
Is that why you're saying it doesn't work ?

Have you tested hitting a Zombie with no aura on, then with Sanctuary on ?
SeasofBlood,Jul 20 2003, 12:54 AM Wrote:it takes about 2 mins with the downloadable chars to try it out yourself to see it's broken.
Editors cause the program to not function totally correctly

These characters are edited, I'm pretty sure Nobbie has stuck a warning on that people should not to use them to test bugs
SeasofBlood,Jul 21 2003, 01:28 AM Wrote::lol: i'd like to say the exact thing about you.

what weapons, difficulty and targets did you use?

any data on # of hits required with and without it?

it hasn't worked with many different weapons, monsters and on all difficulties, so i'd just like to know when it does work.
As this thread was making me curious, I downloaded those same test characters. Then I took out the sazabi's set paladin, gave him 20 skill points in sanctuary and sacrifice, and headed off to the Hell blood moor. Once I realized he needed to distribute 300odd stat points I gave him enough life to survive at least one hit and enough dex to have a good AR base (seeing as he's nearly naked) :P

I hit zombies with sazabi's sword, with and without sanctuary. Sanctuary _seemed_ to increase the amount of damage quite significantly. By that I mean that the life bar moved much more visibly. I was using zeal, with maxed sacrifice and no aura when sanctuary was off. It's hard to say how much the damage seemed to improve, as even a single zombie in Hell is a formidable task for a nearly naked paladin who doesn't have much life.

Any better testing requires more time (i.e. more than your 2 minutes) than I'm willing to spend when I see no reason to doubt that sanctuary continues to work.

SeasOfBlood, why don't you supply your data, such as number of hits, etc.? If you do I'll try it again and count hits this time for both on and off (hopefully this nearly naked dude can live through it). Then maybe we can put this to rest.

If you give the rest of us a reason to believe you (so far all you've said is "it's obvious it doesn't work, just take a second to try it"). I've taken that second, and I'm not convinced. So please bring some numbers. The burden of proof here, or at least the burden of showing reasonable doubt, is on YOU. If you supply numbers, then I will also try the same. If my testing holds up your hypothesis, then you might draw the interest of those serious enough to do real testing and find out the root of the problem.

You're certainly not helping convince anyone to help you figure this out when you antagonize WarBlade. He's a regular poster here and quite an authority on paladins.

Oh--I should have gotten the Griswold paladin. What was I thinking? <_<
I did not go deep into testing, but even a relatively low level Sanctuary makes some difference. Just from the pov of a neutral observer.

I used lvl 12 Sanctuary and a Lightsabre, on a regular (non-edited) lvl 91 Paladin with something like 7 Zeal. Test subject was a poor zombie who got seperated from its mob.
The great damage variance of cryptic swords, together with the build-in 318% might cause a greater variance in test results, but it looked 'as always" with Lightsabre.
"Ignoring is also a kind of understanding." - Christian Mai
I tried a little harder. With Griswold's set and maxed sacrifice, this is the number of hits to kill a zombie in Hell, players 1. I killed 10 zombies, about all I could find in the blood moor that weren't part of a boss pack.

No aura:

7, 8, 9, 6, 7

sanctuary:
3, 4, 5, 4, 3

Considering that sacrifice (at slvl 25) should have something in the mid 400% ED, and sanctuary (I think it was at slvl 26) would add another 870%, I think this looks just fine.

But on another subject--looks like I won't spend much time in Hell. An untwinked melee char, at least, likely stands to get waxed. Crowd control is an absolute must. I'll definitely be planning on a lot more defensive tactics and skills.
vor_lord,Jul 22 2003, 11:56 AM Wrote:No aura:

7, 8, 9, 6, 7

sanctuary:
3, 4, 5, 4, 3

Considering that sacrifice (at slvl 25) should have something in the mid 400% ED, and sanctuary (I think it was at slvl 26) would add another 870%, I think this looks just fine.
Zombies in hell have 50% physical resists according to the monstats.txt. According to WarBlade both the piercing of resists and the added damage are working. The combination of these two things would mean you should be doing about 3 or 4 times the damage (depending on whether the added sanctuay damage is physical or magical now). This doesn't jibe with your numbers, so one of you has to be wrong.

I tested this as well and came to the same conclusion SeasofBlood did, the added damage% does diddly. For the life of me I can't find my data, but I was using my 1.09 un-edited in every way Paladin with slvl 20 Sanctuary and a normal attack against nightmare zombies. Time to redo my tests so I can post some numbers here. I didn't test vs. anything with physical resists, so the piercing might still be working.

Edit- My numbers:

Vs Zombies in Nightmare, /players 4.
Slvl 21 sanctuary, +750%ED, 99-121 pulse damage. 164 Strength, 16-17 damage scepter, 20%ed in armour (lionheart, forgot it was there), 1-2 fire damage :D. Displayed 51-54 damage.

# of hits to kill a zombie with normal attack and vigor on: 36, 35, 31, 30, 30

This indicates they have about 1500-1800 life (rough estimate, they did regen a bit)

# of hits to kill with sanctuary on/# of pulse that went off: 22/7, 20/6, 24/6, 20/6, 25/7.

Indicates each hit was doing *very* roughly 50-60 damage.

The # of pulses that went off is signifigant, since it took 20, 24, 22 pulses to kill zombies without me swinging.

My back of the envelope (literally!) calculations are telling me the damage bonus is not there for a normal attack. I know for a fact that it worked in 1.09.
pbrain,Jul 22 2003, 12:20 PM Wrote:Zombies in hell have 50% physical resists according to the monstats.txt. According to WarBlade both the piercing of resists and the added damage are working. The combination of these two things would mean you should be doing about 3 or 4 times the damage (depending on whether the added sanctuay damage is physical or magical now). This doesn't jibe with your numbers, so one of you has to be wrong.

I tested this as well and came to the same conclusion SeasofBlood did, the added damage% does diddly. For the life of me I can't find my data, but I was using my 1.09 un-edited in every way Paladin with slvl 20 Sanctuary and a normal attack against nightmare zombies. Time to redo my tests so I can post some numbers here. I didn't test vs. anything with physical resists, so the piercing might still be working.
Now we might be getting somewhere. So the global 50% Hell physical resist is gone, but zombies have it innately in 1.10?

According to your theory (i.e. the piercing is working but not the ED%), then slvl 1 sanctuary should kill my Hell zombie in the same number of hits as slvl 26 sanctuary.

I'll try that tonight. I'm not mod savvy so I can't check any of the game files :(

I never played single player so I don't have any "clean" characters to try this with.

I'm interested to see your numbers.