Dual Spec Feature to cost 1k gold currently
If you like achievements and new mounts, you might consider farming the Barron in strat dead for cash.

Ret-spec'd I can complete the barron run in just under 11 minutes. I make sure i have around 60-70 open bag slots going in. I only kill what I absolutely have to, but loot everything I kill.

I can do two runs with that much bag space before I have to jet off to LHC and vendor/mail things. Nets around 150g/hour plus shots at the barron's mount.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Quote:Trust me I know. I had a stack of 19 titanium up and was the cheapest per par price on the AH at 350 bid / 365 buyout. It sat the whole weekend and never sold.

Don't sell titanium in full stacks. the most you want to sell the bars is stacks of 3 as that is what is used to make a Titansteel. People tend not to buy the "big ticket" items on the AH even if it costs the same as if they bought them individually. Put those up in stacks of 3 and you will sell them through. You don't want to put up more than the buyer can use so just put up the minimum usable quantity.
I have net-positive spending habits but I'm surprised any regular player is short on cash, it's seemed to me that almost everything you do at 80 earns money. Certainly both raiding and smaller instances are generally profitable for me.

1k for the first extra spec seems about right to me. That still leaves an 80 with just 2k of useful-but-not-pure-luxury spending - 1k for dual spec and 1k for cold flying, much cheaper than the epic flying cost at 70 when gold was rarer. Admittedly many 70's skipped epic flying but there are a lot of 80's that won't really need dual spec too.

If you are having trouble with gold consider dusting off an old JC alt. Each 70 JC alt can earn you a dragon's eye per day for riding from the questgiver to the flight point in Dalaran, taking a flight, killing a couple of mobs, hearthing back and handing in. The market price for these has dropped by two thirds and they're still 150g+, not bad for a few minutes most of which you can be AFK for.
Quote:Sell the ore.
Prospect the ore, cut it into STR/Spell Power/Spell Power + Resil gems.
Quote:Don't sell titanium in full stacks. the most you want to sell the bars is stacks of 3 as that is what is used to make a Titansteel. People tend not to buy the "big ticket" items on the AH even if it costs the same as if they bought them individually. Put those up in stacks of 3 and you will sell them through. You don't want to put up more than the buyer can use so just put up the minimum usable quantity.

I sell ore and herbs in stacks of 5 or 10 a lot. Ore usually is sold so that it's 2 prospects or 5 bars. Cobalt in 5s, saronite in 10s. I sell titanium as singles or 3s, although I usually sell titansteel. I don't really 'go ore farming' though. I just pick up ore as I do dailies or quest out an area, so if the ore sells for 20g/stack, that's still free cash. I very rarely put up a 20-stack of anything, as that usually just drives the price down. (including enchanting mats)

1000g is no big deal for the dual spec cost. I float around 6-8K gold on Horde, and same on Alliance, and I just get motivated to refill when it gets below 5500.

Edit: and yeah, if I need cash, I can sell Dragon's Eyes for 150-200 daily.

--Mav
Quote:I knew I could rely on this post showing up the instant I saw the 1k cost. 1k is nothing close to excessive, especially for something that will eventually pay for itself. I made about 10k gold just from questing when WotLK was released. I've been dropping since then, but only because I've been lazy (stopped Hodir dailies at exalted, little playing beyond raids) and am picking up cards for a nobles deck.

There's a new quest hub going in with 3.1, so that'll be another immediate influx with more centralized dailies.

Anyway, people who pay attention to the auction house know how to use professions to make money with little actual time spent. If you really need gold, that's where you look.

Jesus man, 10k from questing? o.O

I think I made about 2.5k leveling from 70 to 80, and I make about 200g or so a day when I can be bothered to do dailies. The Hodir dailies are mostly pretty fun (and you gotta admit the wyrm daily is the coolest daily EVER), and there's usually some pretty solid PvP goin on during primetime.

At any rate, 1k gold is hardly a huge amount for this ability, especially when you consider how easy gold is to make. If you do all 25 of your dailies a day (Hodir, Frenzyheart/Oracles, Icecrown, cooking/JC, WG), you can quite easily pull in more than 400g a day. 1000g is very reasonable.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:I'm at best a 50% success rate on that quest, and without a get out of jail card on the DK, I just skip it and save the repair bill.

Perhaps your strategy is wrong.

I had a fairly high failure rate, until I shut my brain off. I stopped trying to do it "right" and just spammed the "whack him hard" button every time it came up, hit "dodge" whenever I got the chance, and used "hang on" and "poke 'im in the ribs" as needed.

Sometimes it's a close shave, some times it's not, but I nearly always get him, with 700 latency, stacking up to 20 before delivering the final blow.

-Jester
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/1/15198918444...a-bad-idea.html

Bunch of new posts on this today.

Quote:Dual specialization isn't something everyone needs. It's a perk we're adding into the game, and it's initially going to require an investment. If you can't afford dual specializations for 10 different characters, you might not actually need all 10 of your characters to be able to swap between two specializations on a whim.

With a single 5-second, out of combat cast, players level 40 or higher will instantly be able to swap between two different talent specializations, glyph sets, and action bar set-ups from virtually anywhere in the world.

That kind of convenience and versatility shouldn't be obtained with absolute triviality.

Quote:You literally just click a button, and after a 5 second cast, your specializations, glyphs, and action bars swap. You must be out of combat, and it still cannot be used in battlegrounds or arenas. There is currently no cooldown on the ability to swap specializations though.

Inscription item has been removed completely. This is so trivially easy to use. I'll probably have a trash spec and a boss spec (and when I need to really mess with things, it'll be my boss spec changing as a normal respec).
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:I'm at best a 50% success rate on that quest, and without a get out of jail card on the DK, I just skip it and save the repair bill.

-WimpySmurf

After you spear the dragon, alternate between using Grip and Jab, making sure to keep your Grip stack at 40 or more at all times. After the dragon tries to swipe you with its claws, use the dodge ability and then follow it with the deep stab ability. Continuing alternating grip and jab during cooldowns, and make sure your grip stays above 40; you may need to do 2 or 3 grips per jab if you're taking too long to kill it. Once it grabs you in its jaws, keep spamming pry and try a stab at 10 to 15 stacks.

If you aren't an Engineer, it's highly recommended you grab the parachute cloak from Skyguard revered and equip it in case you lose your grip.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:After you spear the dragon, alternate between using Grip and Jab, making sure to keep your Grip stack at 40 or more at all times. After the dragon tries to swipe you with its claws, use the dodge ability and then follow it with the deep stab ability. Continuing alternating grip and jab during cooldowns, and make sure your grip stays above 40; you may need to do 2 or 3 grips per jab if you're taking too long to kill it. Once it grabs you in its jaws, keep spamming pry and try a stab at 10 to 15 stacks.

If you aren't an Engineer, it's highly recommended you grab the parachute cloak from Skyguard revered and equip it in case you lose your grip.

This is the strategy that fairly often got me killed.

-Jester
Quote:This is the strategy that fairly often got me killed.

-Jester

This is why I never do that quest. The abilities and their repercussions are completely unintuitive. It took me 100g+ in repairs before I was told that using the Dodge ability would reduce my grip a good bit. Up until that point I had just assumed I was doing it wrong and getting hit.

I also find it utterly ridiculous when people recommend grabbing a rep reward cloak or stocking up on food just to be able to do a daily quest. The fact that people so commonly refer to these items in regards to this quest just reinforces to me that the quest is misbalanced.

This game has done so very well in regards to offering players new abilities and then giving them arenas which they can safely practice those abilities without being overwhelmed. Vehicles, in general, are an absolute failure in regards to that design philosophy and this quest in particular is the worst violator. Malygos has the corresponding quest Aces High to play around and get a feel for the vehicle in a "safe" environment. The SoH quest, however, punishes you for trying to learn with either huge repair bills or requiring you to purchase tons of consumables.
I very rarely fall off -- but I DO fall off sometimes. The more you use grip, the faster you seem to lose it. I've lost 50+ grip in a heartbeat.

The main requirement of it is to keep a cool head and use your abilities as soon as they are available, but without spamming them.

EDIT:

Hearing that it can be gotten at level 40 is making me very happy. <3 My paladin alt is definitely getting it now.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
It just takes practice to be able to avoid the dragon's bite during phase 1. Once down I rarely got hit and went into phase 2 with near full health. If you are at like 75% health or more, you can just spam the button to pry his jaw open until it stacks to 20 (100% hit chance) and spear the sucker.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
I took my gear off after I failed the first time. I got it on my next attempt, but I still do the quest naked just in case.
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:I very rarely fall off -- but I DO fall off sometimes. The more you use grip, the faster you seem to lose it. I've lost 50+ grip in a heartbeat.

That's because you dipped below 50 grip. When you do, you've only got a few seconds to remain standing. You also lose it when you get clawed.

Just tap 1-1-3-1-1-3, and when he claws you, hit 2-4. I never let my grip drop too far below 100.

If I'm awake, I've got a 100% success rate with this quest.
As someone who spends between 120-250g a week spec'ing for PvP/arenas and back to raiding, I absolutely cannot wait for this feature.

It's not just the gold - it's the convenience. I have to plan out when I'm going to arena and raid in order to avoid having to respec/reglyph more than 4 times a week. Now I can quickly change spec any time and get a few arena games in without feeling like I'm throwing money down the toilet. I also hate playing in Battlegrounds as a PvE spec, but do so anyway a lot of the time because dumping another 100g is prohibitive. No longer!

Besides, disc is just more fun than holy as a Priest. Penance is SUCH a fun healing spell, but I have to give it up for Guardian Spirit, Spiritual Guidance, and Circle of Healing. Blah.

If the 1000g cost seems excessive, then it sounds like you're not the kind of player that respecs often. If that's true, then just don't pay the 1k gold - it's not mandatory, after all. If you only respec once every few months due to patch changes or whatever, it's better to just pay the small fees then and ignore the dual spec feature. But 1k gold is a meager 20 respecs (not even counting reglyph costs) for people who do so every week.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:As someone who spends between 120-250g a week spec'ing for PvP/arenas and back to raiding, I absolutely cannot wait for this feature.

It's not just the gold - it's the convenience. I have to plan out when I'm going to arena and raid in order to avoid having to respec/reglyph more than 4 times a week. Now I can quickly change spec any time and get a few arena games in without feeling like I'm throwing money down the toilet. I also hate playing in Battlegrounds as a PvE spec, but do so anyway a lot of the time because dumping another 100g is prohibitive. No longer!

Besides, disc is just more fun than holy as a Priest. Penance is SUCH a fun healing spell, but I have to give it up for Guardian Spirit, Spiritual Guidance, and Circle of Healing. Blah.

If the 1000g cost seems excessive, then it sounds like you're not the kind of player that respecs often. If that's true, then just don't pay the 1k gold - it's not mandatory, after all. If you only respec once every few months due to patch changes or whatever, it's better to just pay the small fees then and ignore the dual spec feature. But 1k gold is a meager 20 respecs (not even counting reglyph costs) for people who do so every week.

-Bolty

I really really really cannot wait for this feature. While prot-dps and prot-pvp can be fun. I miss the ol' Shalandrax running around with a 2h on 'er back. And truthfully its always just after I spec from tank that I get a tell from someone asking for a heroic. Sure I could tank it as arms - but folks are whispering ME because they want a heavy weight tank they've come to know and love. It would be wrong for me to not deliver. I end up remaining prot more often than not.
Looks like they might be open to more than 2 specs also:

http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-track...d-specs.html#47
Quote:Vehicles, in general, are an absolute failure in regards to that design philosophy and this quest in particular is the worst violator.

For what it's worth, it's probably my favorite quest in game, not counting lore.

-Jester
Quote:If the 1000g cost seems excessive, then it sounds like you're not the kind of player that respecs often.

While I'm sure nobody suffers from respec burnout quite as much as the arena-ing priest, I'm not sure your view covers all the bases.

Consider the person with limited playtime. For this person, 1000g is quite a lot, relatively speaking. They also, presumably, want to spend their playtime doing what they like (instances, arena, BGs, whatever) rather than farming gold.

But, precisely because their playtime is limited, they have to make do with the situation they log in to. They can't wait around for hours for the tank to log on, or for a healer to show up, or their arena partner, or whatever. These people would get a lot of value out of flexibility, but yet aren't the full-time raider/arena types who have oodles of gold to spend.

-Jester