Mode Theme
I'm not sure if anyone has already tried doing this, but I thought it would be worth mentioning. I believe someone made a mod where you played monsters instead of characters, and I would be interested in playing one that took that idea further.

Instead of playing the characters, you could play Baal, Diablo, Mephisto, Duriel, and Andariel. Perhaps for comic relief, you could play Bishibosh, Dac Farren, or some other widely-recognized Super Unique.

Baal could be considered a hybrid char, whereas Diablo would be more melee and Mephisto would be more of a spellcaster. Andariel has poison, and... well, mace nipples. That's workable.

One would have to alter NPC text for quests and probably take out the voices entirely and rename quests, but you would go throughout the game killing monsters that are actually characters you play in the regular game.

For example, in Act 1, one would do battle with weak Bowazons and Bash Barbs, and even Ice/Fire Bolt Sorceresses.

Act 2 could have a variety of characters, but they could, for example, have powerful varieties of necromancers in the tombs.

Act 3 could have assassins, perhaps with Natalya as a nasty Super Unique. Paladins could inhabit all the Kurast/Durance areas.

Act 4 could be a miscellany of all the characters, with the introduction of Angels. A prolonged brawl with Hadriel, anyone?

Act 5 could have a large mass of Barbs and Druids. The Bloody Foothills could have NPC enslaved helping you :rolleyes: . Tyrael could be waiting for you in the Worldstone Chamber :o .

The most fun would be in fighting legions of Multizons, Werewolves, Werebears, Faded Sassies, Whirlers, Frenzybarbs, Singing Barbs, Meteor Sorceresses, etc. It would be a great outlet for people that like PKing or those that are curious but not evil (cough, I mean, not PKers) or for the passive agressive types, like me, who have always wanted to round up a bunch of Javazons and pound them to death for no good reason.

Thanks for your time. :D

Buena Suerte
In war, intelligence is the single greatest commodity.
I remember playing that mod... It just didn't work that well, since you still fight monsters, and the picture only shifted to Andariel (the only monster available at the time) when you attacked... But I like your idea!
"Heroes" as enemies. But, as it turned out, the animations of the player characters were in a slightly different format than monster animations, causing them to "phase out" at all too regular intervals.
My failure haunts me to this day. :(

But as to your suggestion, I'd play it. Preferably as Duriel. :)
And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
____________.Not shaking the grass.
-- Ezra Pound, "And the days are not full enough"
Thanks for indulging me, guys :D

I would also play Duriel: who could refuse maggot powers and holy freeze? Ownage.
Heh, I want to play as Lister as a sort of necro and summon pets, leading up to Revive (Summon Minion of Destruction). You could get a curse-like tree (Baal's Aid) and instead of poison/bone ranged attacks, you get combat skills and passives (iron skin, natural resist, smite). I suppose the end result is like a combination melee/summon necro. Put a heavy limit on how many active summons there can be since you have decent melee, (and MoDs stun) and you're set.

Probably never happen, though, so sayeth The Hermit.

"Step by step by inch by loaded memory..." Tool - jimmy
Great ideas hermit.

That's what this mod needs. More creative ideas. And... a creator. :o :rolleyes:
:D I think the necromancer is more suited for Nihilthak. Golems are replaced by suicide minions. :)
I'd suggest a trip to the Phrozen Keep. I think I remember seeing a similar mod, or atleast something headed in this direction (a screenshot of Fire Eye with a Greiz-man look is coming to mind). I'd find the url, but no time at the moment. I'll edit in a few with a link...

Edit: Argh. Can't... find... link...
Sorry but I went though the listing of hosted mods at the Keep, but couldn't find the one I remembered. You might try asking on the Phrozen Forums though
ah bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bob
dyah ah dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dth
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee