Another Diablo III story idea
All this talk of Tyrael turning evil mimics my brainchild for a sixth act where it turns out that Tyrael had been playing you until he could destroy the worldstone and plunge the entire world into corruption. Oh, well, maybe it could be changed around to Diablo III and be only one area and lots of quests like Diablo was.
<span style="color:red">Now lounging in the Amazon Basin.
I'm surprised no one has spotted Drognan's treachery yet... from a reliable source, A. C. Viper, I heard the real story...
It turns out that Drognan had a long running animosity with the innocent, harmless Claw Vipers, due to his jealousy of the power of their gods. So when he needed to buy some time to hide evidence of his involvement in the invasion of Jehryn's palace, the natural solution was to create an eclipse himself and concoct a story blaming it on the claw vipers. Afterwards, he hinted at the location of the arcane sanctuary (which of course he knew all along) to further allay suspicion.
"I swear by the all the mighty and evil gods of the dark that this is true" my informant said, so I have no doubts about his veracity.
Laying the smackdown on the Vipers would have then been regrettable, but still neccessary: you need to loot their stash in order to build yourself a Horadric Staff.

Still, one thinks we could have bought it from them instead of crashing their crib, laying waste to them all, then steal all their gear.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
AtomicKitKat,Dec 8 2003, 12:12 PM Wrote:Tell me more, tell me more!
I cannot. I only just thought it through while watching the Worldstone go kablooey. The idea is only a day or two old. Need time to flesh it out.

On a tangent, who would have thought 1.10 Summons Necro would have fared so well throught Normal? Prayer Merc, Clay Golem (item-imparted), three Skel mages and seven Skel warriors— only two things died in the Worldstone chamber: one of the mages, and Baal himself. The Lord of Destruction failed to kill Maxmylan_Graves even once.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Well consider Drognan's accusation of the Claw Vipers. In one version he says "I've been researching this lengthy eclipse and I believe it to be the work of Claw Vipers" or something like that; in another version he says he read about an earlier eclipse which was blamed on Claw Vipers building an evil altar. Are we really supposed to go and beat up the Claw Vipers based on such flimsy evidence? All of Drognan's "research", in fact, seems just a little bit too convenient: "I've been researching X, and I believe Y, but i don't tell you how I came to that conclusion based on my research"*. It makes me wonder if he's just making it all up for his own sinister reasons...

And anyway doesn't Cain specifically mention that there were multiple Horadric Staves, each split into two parts? There should be plenty of other top pieces for the Horadric Staff out there, no need to take the Claw Vipers' amulet.

*well yes, he does say that Jehryn's palace was built on an ancient Vizjerei fortress or whatever... but what makes him think Horazon would build his sanctuary under a Vizjerei fortress?
i see the falling worldstone as the explanation of what the nightmare and hell difficulties are.

each time you break it, you let the supernatural realms into the 'real world' more then before, and when it's shattered completely...

Lets just say The Three woln't need a gate or soulstones to manafest in this realm, the 'true form's of the three prime evils can simply step into existance...

I don't remember mephisto's backstory, but the other two where only existing because they possessed mortal bodyforms....

so there you have the premise at the beginning of D3... "Return of the Sin War" or "Fall of Light"
The wind has no destination.
Quote:... Lets just say The Three woln't need a gate or soulstones to manafest in this realm, the 'true form's of the three prime evils can simply step into existance...

I don't remember mephisto's backstory, but the other two where only existing because they possessed mortal bodyforms. ...
Actually, this is where the storyline of the first game and the second get all mucked up.

As you may know from the first game, the Prime Evils did not need Soulstones to wreak havoc on the physical plane. On the contrary, the Soulstones were the last thing they ever wanted to be in contact with. Manifesting in ethereal, spirit form, the Prime Evils were having a good enough time doing their bad, bad 'thang in the mortal world. But, in order to protect themselves against the power of the Soulstones, the boys resorted to inhabiting mortal host bodies so that the stones could not trap them. The only way to imprison the Prime Evils was to slay the corporeal form of the Prime Evil, then activate the Soulstone to entrap the true spiritual form of the demon.

In D2, this gets all mucked up, of course.

Mephisto is said to have inhabited the body of Sankekeur, the Council Leader and the Appointed Head of the Church of Light. Granted that Mephisto was originally flagged as an Undead, one could suppose that Sankekeur did not accede to the possession willingly, and succeeded in killing himself in an attempt to escape Mephisto's hold. Unfortunately for Sankekeur, Mephy is the Prime Lord of the Undead. Not even death could save him from Mephisto.
I've got one up to 18 at the moment. Blood Golem, 4 skeleton warriors and 4 magi(One per element). Act 2. My best buy was in Act 1, a 30k wand with +3 EACH to Skel Mastery, Amp, and Weaken. Now, if only the weaken was replaced with Golem mastery, I'd be set! :lol: I'm still debating the Iron Golem issue. Most likely I'll pump BG up a lot after I finish with some of the other skills, so that my IG can really last. Should I get revives? I don't think I will have that many points left over after pumping up the skels and stuff. Hmm.

*wanders off into his dusty old library of memories*
I built my Necro on the prospect that he'll be a melee-strong tank for the army, and rather lucked uot to get a Rare Preserved Head with poison damage add-on, a socket, and then a Jewel of Envy shoved into it. Add in a Rare Falchion with natural poison damage and two sockets, and I was ablet to ram a Tal rune and a Perfect Emerald.

This is why I went with three magi- originally I opted to raise them until I got one each of Fire, Lightning, and Ice. The fourth element, poison, my Necro would supply into the battle himself.

Through Act V, however, the Necro acted more as the standoff curse-caster rather than sticking up to the front lines. Found a wand with Confuse, which worked nicely through here. The battle philosophy was to get the army in, use Confuse to thin out the number of enemy hands attacking my force, and have the Prayer Merc act as a medic.
Quote:Actually, this is where the storyline of the first game and the second get all mucked up.

As you may know from the first game, the Prime Evils did not need Soulstones to wreak havoc on the physical plane. On the contrary, the Soulstones were the last thing they ever wanted to be in contact with. Manifesting in ethereal, spirit form, the Prime Evils were having a good enough time doing their bad, bad 'thang in the mortal world. But, in order to protect themselves against the power of the Soulstones, the boys resorted to inhabiting mortal host bodies so that the stones could not trap them. The only way to imprison the Prime Evils was to slay the corporeal form of the Prime Evil, then activate the Soulstone to entrap the true spiritual form of the demon.

But adding in the information from izual, they eventually corrupt the soustones, and do even moer dammage in a corrupt vessil, then outside of it.

So what could they do in the REAL Physical form from the depths of the hells?

thanks for the meph info.

Though now I am wondering just what the orriginal plans for d1 would have had things looking like, especially with the unused quests like izual and andariel ...
The wind has no destination.
DiabloII.net has an interesting article about the worldstone and the soulstones. I think the ideas the author presents are interesting, at the very least.
Kartoffelsalat
USEast SCL
*kevin_osu
"Adding in" the info given by Izual was the least thing I liked to do. That is why I said the whole story got mucked up in D2— by the very information given by Izzy (in D2), the unfair plot twist was introduced.

All of a sudden the Soulstones, the very things the Three desired to evade (by limiting their true power in the taking of hosts) were revealed to be so very, very important to the boys.

Let's map things out: in the D1 backstory, the Three came to the Mortal World in the form of spirits. In the form of these spirits, the boys had a rockin' good time: no one could harm them, and they were doing vast amounts of damage in their rampages. Big T drops by with Soulstones, gathers a bunch of otherwise-warring magi and consolidates them into a united brotherhood called the Horadrim, and tells the Horadric boys that the Soulstones will capture and trap the Three.

The Three, taking note of what the Soulstones can do, come up with a plan to evade the effects of the stones: by inhabiting a human body, the demons will be rendered immune to the entrapments. The Horadrim learn the only way they can now use the Soulstones is to kill the physical avatars of the Three, then trap the expatriated spirit that departs the corpse.

What Izual reveals in D2 bears no reasonable link to what is said or understood in D1, and is practically an unsubstantiated reversal of the story. It's akin to writing a Superman story where green kryptonite, for no explained reason at all, actually helps Superman to live... it flies in the face of what is already lain down, and its veracity comes only in the form of a character dropping out of the blue and saying it to be so.
The shattering of the Worldstone accidentally opened a portal from Kalimdor into Sanctuary, releasing Orcs into our world? Possibly Orc characters?

I play too much WarCraft...

Yeah, Rhydderch Hael's idea sounds good.
Creator of "The Corrupted Wish Game": Rules revised 06/15/05
"It was a quiet day...the kind of quiet that happens just before the entire Sioux nation comes up over the ridge."
[Image: cobalt-60.jpg] Click here for a free iPod!
Hi everybody,

I know that this topic is kind of outdated, but last night I had an idea:
I came to the conclusion that it's really difficult for Blizzard to make a Diablo III, since all major opponents are dead, and the whole realm Sanctuario is already developed.

What's the logical conclusion of this?

Instead of making a sequel, they should make a previous history! How about 'Diablo 0', with the story telling how things came to be that Lazarus got mad and Diablo took control over Albrecht. Main character could be Griswold, or Wirt... I'd also love to see some background story with the cornerstone of the world, and Na Krul challenging Diablo.
This is like Episode I from Star Wars. The realm could be the greater hinterland of Tristram. Story could involve the massacre with the butcher. Of course there must be bosses, so perhaps Gris (or whoever gets to be the protagonist) finally defeats Aazmodan or Belial, after he rescued, say, Gillian. Of course there could be a field work in some neighbor towns or even a trip to the monastry of DII. Characters could include a witch, a padre (like criticising Lazarus), a blacksmith, a thief, a hunter, one of Leorics knights, and a shaman.
I'm no script writer, but wouldn't that be a much more promising approach?

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
For a prequel, I would much prefer The Sin War or the Inprisonment of the Three. It could include that one Angel who went out on his own and got killed by Baal and then he and his followers became the Overlords and he was forced to spend all eternity gazing at his ugly form in a hall of mirrors (since his eyelids were removed...). I think his name was something like Icarus.

Whatever it is, I would like it to include Azmodan and Belial. Maybe even Reziarfg. :P
Killed? Baal?

I thought he was captured by Mephisto, skinned, got his eyelids torn out, and shackled to something called a Palace/temple of mirrors or something, having to look at his disgusting self for the rest of eternity. (Oh, and he was very vein, which made the harrowing experience even worse.)

edit: And you don't play Griswold, you play Garbald the drunk or whatever his name was. His end mirrors that of the hero in D1. :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
By killed I meant captured. But I thoght it was Baal who led the attack. I couldn't find my D1 booklet/manual, so I just had to guess.
Lady Vashj,Apr 6 2004, 01:27 PM Wrote:The shattering of the Worldstone accidentally opened a portal from Kalimdor into Sanctuary, releasing Orcs into our world?&nbsp; Possibly Orc characters?

I play too much WarCraft...

Yeah, Rhydderch Hael's idea sounds good.
Or when the worldstone gets destroyed, sanctuary disappears, the zerg invade heaven and hell and kill everything except the flesh spawners, which become zerglings.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
The diablo world now is like a good place for something between a starcraft type game and a civilization type game. There are no really powerful bosses, but a lot of unorganized demons, angels, and humans. There could be several groups of demons from hell trying to get organized, groups of angels in heaven who can't agree on what to do now, and the usual different groups of humans. Also, you would get to see more of heavan and hell's creatures and terrain. Hell needs more diverse terrain than just rock slabs and lava. The story could be like brood war, except I hope with no Kerrigan type characters.

Since world of warcraft is a different game type than all the other warcraft games, the next diablo game could be something different.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
What's wrong with Sarah? She's the coolest thing in the whole game.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw