IM advice
The theory :

Jarulf's Guide 5.3.3 "Attack types" shows that all monsters of the Succubi type have Goat Archer AI and that there are 4 subtypes, with the following Intelligence Factors and Behavior :

Subtype : Intf / Behavior

Succubus : 0 / D-
Snow Witch : 1 / D-
Hell Spawn : 2 / DF
Soul Burner : 3 / DF

D = can open doors
F = can follow player beyond walls and obstacles

The Succubus and Snow Witch fall under what I call the low-tier AI category : they have "dumb" AI. Hell Spawn and Soul Burner are in the upper-tier category and are "smart". Similar for Goat Archers : Flesh Clan and Stone Clan are dumb, while Fire Clan and Night Clan are smart.

Jarulf's Guide 5.5.9 "AI Scripts" lists the Goat Archer AI routine. This is where the magical distance of 4 tiles comes from. When the distance between the monster and the player is greater than 3 tiles, the AI sits still and fires at the player, unless the player is out of sight. In the latter case, the AI will walk towards the last seen position of the player. When the distance is lower than 4 tiles, the AI has a chance to walk away from the player. This chance increases with the Intelligence Factor of the monster : chance = 10 * Intf + 70. Basicly, this determines how likely the monster is to run away from you when you are close. Soul Burners will always immediately run away from you (chance = 100%), while Succubi might sit still for a while before they will withdraw.

Jarulf's Guide 5.5.5 "About Ranged Attack" notes that the AI will check if the line of sight is blocked and will try to find another action to perform if so. The check isn't foolproof however, so a ranged attack may be carried out even though the shot impacts some obstacle between the monster and the player. Now, I believe the F flag determines if the monster has another action to perform or not.

In practice :

Succubi and Snow Witches can be made to sit at corners without firing, when you are 4 tiles away. Soul Burners won't fall for this, and IIRC Hell Spawn very rarely if ever do. Succubi and Snow Witches can also be fooled by having an obstacle inbetween them and you to block their shots. Soul Burners will almost always start walking up to the obstacle and around it, after maybe firing one shot at the obstacle. I think Hell Spawn might sometimes stay and shoot the obstacle, but I am always wary of them and expect them to move at some point.

I recommend you take a non-IM Warrior or Rogue to Hell and start playing around with the witch AI. Place a corner, obstacle, invisible wall or the stairs down between them and you. Vary your position and note their behavior. Take out a bow and have a shootout with a single witch (timely dodge their shots). In time, you get a feel for what works and what doesn't and with that knowledge you will be better armed for your next foray into Hell.

Good luck !

Cheers,
Gil.

Messages In This Thread
IM advice - by weakwarrior - 05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
IM advice - by Galbraith - 05-10-2009, 05:40 PM
IM advice - by Nystul - 05-10-2009, 09:19 PM
IM advice - by weakwarrior - 05-10-2009, 09:31 PM
IM advice - by Gillias - 05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
IM advice - by weakwarrior - 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM
IM advice - by Gillias - 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM
IM advice - by weakwarrior - 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM