Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
It appears I made a (harmless) mistake in the .dat file entries in v1.02.A4. There is a loose entry that reads:

Code:
start HF1.01 "Penetrate Target Armor works properly on Bows"
end

The penetration fix was merged into the entry above titled "Combat Effects (Bows)" and I forgot to delete this empty section. It does no harm being there, but feel free to erase it. I'd be surprised if there wasn't another mistake or two somewhere, honestly - I moved around and renamed so much stuff. Sorry about that little bit of clutter I missed when cleaning the file up.

EDIT: These unnecessary lines have been removed from the original attachment, so only the first 5 of you that downloaded it will encounter these extra lines.

(05-15-2014, 01:49 AM)Mayhem Wrote: The fact that we can enable/disable thing is a fantastic feature of modding.

Agreed. There is a quote, I believe, by Bill Cosby: "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone." I know ultimately some change(s) I make someone won't like - because using HF: Fixed and Marsh's Mod, I had the same experience with both - and I eventually I realized how great it is that other people don't get 'stuck' with changes they don't want this way, so I'm keeping the customization now as an integral feature in all future releases.

(05-15-2014, 01:49 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I really like how this patch is made. I would like to know how this method of modding really work, it's awesome.

I'll try to explain the basics in a couple paragraphs. The code contained inside the .dat file are little pieces of Assembly Language (ASM). Compiled programs, such as Hellfire.exe, exist in this language. ASM contains instructions to be executed directly by your computer's processor.

What most Hellfire modders have done is write changes to its code directly into the executable itself (Helfire.exe). This makes customizing a mod virtually impossible for the average user. PlugUlmo's loader.exe lets me provide the location of data in Hellfire's memory, then tell it what the original code is and what the new code should be. Here's an example from the mod file to illustrate:

Code:
start HF1.01 "Long War Bow - Gains what seems its intended inventory graphic"
4A4858 77 78
end

At memory address 4A4858, change the value from 77 to 78. In this case we're changing what inventory graphic ID is associated with the Long War Bow. This is a very simple change as all we have done is change one number. Some of the other changes are far more complex and involve rewriting sections of game code, or writing new code into empty memory regions when there isn't enough space.

Hope that was what you wanted to know. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hellfire Patch v1.02.A4: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Belix - 05-15-2014, 02:45 AM
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM