Why Dex-based classes are terrible.
(07-01-2012, 01:34 AM)RogueMage Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 01:22 AM)Lissa Wrote: Let me tell you, as someone that is routinely playing in Act 2 Inferno (still hunting for gear to get going in Act 3), your setup won't work. You need far, far larger life on hit than 300. Likewise, mobs typically hit you for 60% to 75% of your health in one hit with 35k health.

Of course you do! Blizzard has rigged Inferno to require far bigger stats on everything, which are available only on level-60+ items. So realistically, you'd need to ramp up LoH just like everything else. If that's practical, then fine, it will continue to work, since it's not penalized in higher difficulty levels. If not, it's yet another detail in inflationary attribute scaling that Blizzard failed to get right in the 1.03 Beta patch.

Also, only 35K HP in Inferno? I felt like 25K was barely enough to start Hell.

I have "only" 43k health in Inferno, and yet I have just shy of 234k Effective Health - on my Demon Hunter. I find I cannot survive Act II Inferno, and the reason I've come to realize is not inadequate defense, but inadequate offense. My DPS (without SS, since I do not use it and find it to be a bogus indicator of actual DPS output) is right around 25k. This is easily about 5k, maybe even 10k too low for me to comfortably handle Act II - let alone Acts III and IV. Quite simply, despite all the changes made to Inferno the only "viable" way to make a DH is still glass cannon. They just moved the metric for "glass" from 1 hit to 3 or 4. You still absolutely need offense over defense, it's just that now the game punishes you even more for not having it (via repair costs).

Frankly, Life on Hit is not viable for a Demon Hunter because you lack the inherent active / passive damage mitigation of the other classes. You cannot get the same amount of armor and resists as every other class out there, therefore your Effective Health (and thus how useful Life on Hit actually is) will always be less.
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Dex-based classes are terrible. - by Roland - 07-01-2012, 01:51 AM