Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
Quote:As for detecting it, I can't imagine it being that hard. The crack alters the main .exe file, as I recall (I don't know the specifics, as I am not a programmer and do not use the crack; I am just inferring what I have heard about it). As such, it should be quite simple to detect the hack. Or, rather, that SOMETHING is different, and thus constitutes (at least potentially) a hack. Surely it would be no different than the checksum done on the .exe's and .mpqs when you connect to Battle.Net, when it does the version checking. No? Am I wrong?

My understanding is the latest NO-CD bypass does not change the original .exe it just loads an alternative .exe into memory or else patches the memory resident original .exe image. Even if some validation checks could not be bypassed they would still see the original .exe (on the hard disk) as untampered with :(

I don't see how Bliz can really enforce it using the "unsecure" CD technology alone. The problem is industry wide though and not limited to just Blizzard games.

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by ldw - 04-10-2003, 09:44 AM