Why Dex-based classes are terrible.
(07-01-2012, 12:59 AM)RogueMage Wrote:
(06-30-2012, 11:47 PM)Concillian Wrote: Lots of stuff works in NM that doesn't work at inferno. It breaks down when things can kill you in 1-2 hits.

It is simply not possible for a DH to gear defensively enough to do this in inferno (solo), because there are no lasting +% armor or resists buffs.

It's the same story in NM and Hell - I've gotten insta-killed numerous times by cheesy, unplayable champ packs - it's just a lot more prevalent and unbalanced in Inferno. However, LoH works just as well in Hell as in Nightmare - unlike leech, it suffers no penalties at higher difficulty levels. OTOH, I agree with you on the lack of damage mitigation for Demon Hunters. Beyond a modest amount, neither armor nor resists are winning strategies for a DH.

As for what works in Inferno, not even Blizzard portrays it as anything but "optional content". Of course, they're being disingenuous, since the highest level items drop only in Inferno. But with what's available on the AH, magic find has a poor return on investment. What's the point, really, since it's little more than an exercise in stat inflation? I've seen nothing that indicates Inferno benchmarks anything more than your budget and your tolerance for zerging.

Let me tell you, as someone that is routinely playing in Act 2 Inferno (still hunting for gear to get going in Act 3), your setup won't work. You need far, far larger life on hit than 300. Likewise, mobs typically hit you for 60% to 75% of your health in one hit with 35k health. In order to even stand a chance of being able to with stand the punishment a DH received per hit, you would need 20,000 health on hit or constantly using multishot and hitting 4 to 5 mobs with 4000 to 5000 health on hit to make up for just one mob hitting you.

The only survival method that works, while solo, is to run like hell and using things like caltrops with jagged spikes and firing the occasional hungering arrow (I use devouring arrow rune) and multishot (using fire at will rune) while using your companion as a human shield (sorry Erenia, but outside of you're speed buff, you're just a meatshield... :p). Simply, DHs do not have an effective mitigation skill like the other classes. You have Shadow Power - Gloom which costs 14 discipline to use and only lasts for 3 seconds, but gives 65% damage reduction during those 3 seconds and you have Vault for getting out of the way at 8 Discipline per use (and 4 more if you have tumble and using Vault again in 6 seconds) along with Evasive Fire, but that costs you 4 Discipline if you backflip (moves you backwards 15 yards, 30 with Displace rune). And you're expected to handle all this with 30 base Discipline (you can get more on gear) that returns at 1 Discipline per second (you can get 2 back per health globe if you use Vengenace passive, but IMO there are more useful passives at than this), not much chance at survival there otherwise. Simply, DHs are setup wrong for tackling Inferno, all other classes have some way of mitigating damage through their active and passive skills, DH has one mitigation skill (that is expensive) and has very limited use.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Dex-based classes are terrible. - by Lissa - 07-01-2012, 01:22 AM