Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop
Blizzard calls it "Judgement Day", rather fitting if you ask me, but 131000 or so accounts were deleted, and that is not a small number in the least. My first response was one of glee, and I got that great feeling of revenge upon those hackers who had ruined "my sacred" b.net for so long. If you visit a channel for a moment you will see the chaos that is now spreading through the d2 community. Of course everyone "never used ahacks man! iam totalee legits!" and everyone hates blizzard, but I think in the end these people are getting what they deserved. The fact that blizzard threatens to delete all their accounts and ban their cd-keys if they make a new account and hack on that is even more sweet. I'm sure that many here agree.

But think again, maybe this isn't the best thing, I am unsure. I have a friend, who I have known for a very long time on battle.net. Although at one time he was content to be less than "uber" and vowed against hacked items, he eventually gave in, ran item bots, used hacked items, and hung around with the dupers, lets not even mention maphack. However he remained my friend, even though his group of people changed, and I had other friends like him, just not as bad. Talking with him recently on AIM, I realized that his accounts, his years of effort were gone, all his friends were quitting d2, many of my friends were quitting d2, and his will to play anymore was gone, and he like many others despised blizzard, they felt that they had ruined their game. And quickly, while some were forcibly (banned) kicked off battle.net some of my other friends just quit because their friends were no longer there. And within a few days I watched as my small, tightly knit d2 community dissolved around me. The same has happened for many other people, I know.

So is this the right thing? It's obviously harsh, and I've always prayed for something like this. I've always held great enmity towards hack users and their kin, however the effects may not necessarily justify the means... Blizzard warns that they will continue to keep deleting the accounts of hackers, but in the end of this act of retribution, what may be left of the diablo 2 community? My hope is that the legit players like us here at the Lounge, and the Amazon Basin people will become a majority, and that other undiscovered "legits" will rule a sort of eutopian battle.net, unlikely as it is, we can hope! :D . However the way things look now, battle.net seems to be a miserable place, in the end, will this destroy the d2 community, or revitalize it?

I'm not trying to support the hackers, in many ways I am overjoyed, but when I see the reactions of many friends, I wonder, will b.net be saved? or destroyed?

-Wapptor
"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Branch Cabell

Messages In This Thread
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Wapptor - 04-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Roderigo - 04-05-2003, 11:34 PM
Those "uber 1337 haxxors" finally get the chop - by Thoreandan - 04-06-2003, 04:15 PM