A technical ? re Firewall and the sprit limit
Even stacked fire walls will near the sprite limit.

Yep.

I'm pretty sure this was fixed post v1.04. Compare what happens in D1 and HF when you cast MS with MS already active. In D1, no mana is used if MS is active. In Hellfire, mana is used and nothing visibly happens. I suspect in Hellfire, another sprite is used for each activation of MS, thus leading to "re-cast MS enough and nerf ranged combat." (I've never had the inclination to actually test it, but that's what I heard.) In D1, they probably added something to the effect of "Check if MS active. If yes, do nothing. If not, activate MS."

I believe this was a 1.07 fix. I tested it once prior to the fix, and it was pretty funny (I was trying it on a goat level, so they were pulling the bow string but nothing was shooting). Of course you were not only nerfing enemy ranged attacks, but also limiting your own options quite a bit.

I've found that FWs don't preciesly reach the sprite limit. Usually it's still possible to fire off the odd projectile or other spell that doesn't use many sprites.

My observations would agree with that. After spamming a ton of firewall I've noticed you can get off one or two shots of holy bolt, but you can't fire a bunch of them in a row. I'd assume that if part of the firewall would exceed the limit, the entire firewall doesn't cast, and so you have a very limited number of spell effects that are still available. I think the same thing applies to the bolts of CL which start at the same time, which is why you almost never see any stray lightning in the "gap".

Messages In This Thread
A technical ? re Firewall and the sprit limit - by Nystul - 08-28-2003, 08:49 AM